Ohio's Greatest High School Player Ever

Who was the best player in high school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

my2sense

Just seeing Clark Kellogg on the bracket show - some old school fans say that Clark Kellogg was better IN HIGH SCHOOL than Lebron. What say you?

Remember -high school only.

"Other" = add your own choice

Last edited:

Jerry Lucas of Middletown HS---now put in those who are 2nd place.

"Averaged 34 points over a three-year prep career that included undefeated state and national championship seasons in 1956 and 1957. The Middies suffered a one-point loss in the state semifinals (63-62 to Columbus North) his senior season that snapped a state-record 76-game win streak. Finished with 2,460 career points, which ranks 12th in state history. Established legend as a sophomore when he dropped 53 points in a state semifinal win over Cleveland East and 44 in the state final win over Canton McKinley. Two-time Mr. Basketball USA winner in HS.

Last edited:
Jerry Lucas of Middletown HS---now put in those who are 2nd place.

"Averaged 34 points over a three-year prep career that included undefeated state and national championship seasons in 1956 and 1957. The Middies suffered a one-point loss in the state semifinals (63-62 to Columbus North) his senior season that snapped a state-record 76-game win streak. Finished with 2,460 career points, which ranks 12th in state history. Established legend as a sophomore when he dropped 53 points in a state semifinal win over Cleveland East and 44 in the state final win over Canton McKinley. Two-time Mr. Basketball USA winner in HS.
I watched those games at the Cleveland arena. It was East Tech in the semi final.

For me, it was Don May, Dayton Flyers. Could and did do it all in leading the Flyers to the 1968 NCAA finals against Lew Alcindor's UCLA Bruins...
Led Dayton Belmont to the single greatest season in Dayton Basketball history in winning the 1964 state title.

I watched those games at the Cleveland arena. It was East Tech in the semi final.

No East Tech won the state championship the year all 4 for semi finalist were undefeated when Lucas was a senior.

East Tech won the state championship in sudden death.

You are thinking of a different game I believe..or a regular season game. Middletown definitely lost to Columbus North.

Some who were eyewitnesses said that Kellogg could not be guarded one-on-one and most of his points were scored while double-teamed.

Even in high school Lebron relied on a strong supporting cast for championships. Kellogg didn't have as strong a team around him.

No East Tech won the state championship the year all 4 for semi finalist were undefeated when Lucas was a senior.

East Tech won the state championship in sudden death.

You are thinking of a different game I believe..or a regular season game. Middletown definitely lost to Columbus North.
I was talking about his sophomore year. I may be 80, but I do remember those games that year.

Jerry Lucas, Clark Kellogg, Lebron James have to be considered at the top of the list. Trying to separate, Robin Freeman, Allen Hornyak, Gary Bradds, Don May, Herb Williams, Kevin Grevey and others would be tough (as you can tell, old school fan)

Jerry Lucas, Clark Kellogg, Lebron James have to be considered at the top of the list. Trying to separate, Robin Freeman, Allen Hornyak, Gary Bradds, Don May, Herb Williams, Kevin Grevey and others would be tough (as you can tell, old school fan)
Nice. Who's your #1 ?

No one with the leading score in Ohio History yet? John Diebler was the best high school player I have seen. Lebron was great in his own way, but in high school he used his build and strength to dominate. Diebler did things I had never seen before and probably will never see again.

No one with the leading score in Ohio History yet? John Diebler was the best high school player I have seen. Lebron was great in his own way, but in high school he used his build and strength to dominate. Diebler did things I had never seen before and probably will never see again.
Been following Ohio High School basketball a long time...Diebler isn't even in the Top 10 all time. Great scorer but that was it with him.

in my opinion this isn't even close if I'm not mistaking didn't Labron win 3 state championships and 1 runner up clear cut best of all time in Ohio

in my opinion this isn't even close if I'm not mistaking didn't Labron win 3 state championships and 1 runner up clear cut best of all time in Ohio

In D2 wasn't it? With a hand picked surrounding cast? And still managed to lose to a bunch of baseball players?

Different eras are different. I'd have to give Lucas and James their due but wouldn't have any real way to pick one over the other. I can't envision either being less dominant in the other era. James much more well rounded mentally and better prepared or by nature for the attention and I think that's what separates his success in the NBA and outside of basketball. Kellogg wouldn't even be in the discussion though. Clearly in the next group with Jackson and several others by MY opinion.

Larry Huston. (Savannah HS 1955) Scored 1221 points and grabbed 683 rebounds in ONE SEASON in 1955. That year, he averaged 45 points and 25 rebounds while shooting 65 percent from the field. Not the top player in state history, but definitely had the greatest individual season in state history.

Larry Huston. (Savannah HS 1955) Scored 1221 points and grabbed 683 rebounds in ONE SEASON in 1955. That year, he averaged 45 points and 25 rebounds while shooting 65 percent from the field. Not the top player in state history, but definitely had the greatest individual season in state history.
Is that Savannah up by Ashland?