Ohio Voting on Winter Sports Season till Tuesday

Lionattack

Right now Superintendents, Principals and Athletic Directors are voting on

1. Start the season right now

2. Postpone the season 3-4 weeks no practices

3. Postpone the season 3-4 but you can practice with your team

Our basketball coach told me about it and I reached out to our AD who had already voted .

The vote ends Tuesday so coaches you should reach out and speak with your Administration .

Mike DeWine says no shutdown, but he is planning a ‘slowdown’ for Ohio.

Gov. Mike DeWine said Monday morning that he opposes a second shutdown for Ohio but that he is working on plans for a slowdown in efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19.

“Instead of shutting down, we have to slow down,” he said. “We have to slow down in our individual lives and our decisions in what we are doing.”

DeWine made a series of appearances in neighboring states to reach out to citizens who live in border counties, visiting Huntington and Wheeling, West Virginia, and Fort Wayne, Indiana.

He said a formal announcement on any slowdown will come Tuesday at one of his regular briefings on the coronavirus pandemic.

“We’re looking for a way, and we’ll have an announcement tomorrow (Tuesday),” DeWine said. “We’re looking at a way to allow people to work, to keep kids in school, to protect our elderly in nursing homes. But to do that, we have to change what we do. We have to pull back some.”

DeWine did not get more specific about Tuesday’s announcement, but he did emphasize that he opposes a shutdown similar to what he ordered in March.

“We don’t want to shut this state down,” DeWine said. “That has ramifications for mental health, it has ramifications for more drug addiction, overdoses. I mean, all these things go up when you shut the state down. And we do not want to do that.”

He said the next three weeks will be critical as daily counts of new virus cases continue to surge upward, along with hospitalization rates.
“By slowing down, reduce the number of interactions you have with people outside of your own household,” DeWine said. “That really is the key. We can do most of the things we’ve always done. We just need to be careful. And we’re asking people for the next few weeks, this is the crucial time.”

I haven't had time to update this further, but this could provide you with justification for starting the season on time.

This can be adjusted to address gymnastics, basketball, etc.
Thank you for posting. Very informative.
I think this is the most sensible approach - coming from someone who is vary wary of our whole situation.

Thank you for posting. Very informative.
I think this is the most sensible approach - coming from someone who is vary wary of our whole situation.

Thank you. I updated this. Addressed current situation and added a few more references. Minor revisions.

Attachments

• Safe Approach for High School Wrestling Return Nov update.pdf
    655.3 KB · Views: 42
The Governor just said we have a Curfew for 21 days starting Thursday 11-19-20- 10:00pm to 5:00am. Everything that he is asking the good folks from Ohio to do is very reasonable to me.

If you do the figuring, 21 days from 11-19-20, that means we are going to get some wrestling matches in ;).

Do what the governor ask, and stay safe !

The Governor just said we have a Curfew for 21 days starting Thursday 11-19-20- 10:00pm to 5:00am. Everything that he is asking the good folks from Ohio to do is very reasonable to me.

If you do the figuring, 21 days from 11-19-20, that means we are going to get some wrestling matches in ;).

I agree with you but my only concern is that we were asked to wear masks for 6 weeks and here were are almost 4 months later still wearing them.

How is that reasonable? The virus doesn't go to sleep at 10pm.

There are a number of things that can be done that would offer real, positive impacts. Token gestures are insults. They are virtue signalling for complicity, and yet offer nothing of value to the citizens.

doesn’t make much sense considering almost 85% of all movement stops by 10 anyway. Whatever.

Slim Pickens: I am very upset at this situation for a few reasons. One is for the very reason you mentioned.

Along those same lines, I recently asked a guy I know if he would wear a winter coat if the temperature was below 32*. He replied, "Heck yes!" I then asked, "Would you be opposed to our state or even a federal government making a law stating that all individuals must wear a winter coat when the temperature is below 20*?" He said no.

I wonder how many people would be ok with a law such as.

It's amazing at how many people like to Question Authority...

Using reason to question authority is what led to the formation of these US, and the English system it was founded on.

The government has a legal obligation to establish health policies that are based on sound, verifiable practices. Therefore, it is government officials who are in the wrong here. Furthermore, it's not a matter of liking it, it is the duty and responsibility of citizens to confront officials when they do wrong. Government for the people, of the people, by the people. There is no room for sanctimony from people who just go along with bad governance.

The results of the survey:
FR: Doug Ute, OHSAA Executive Director

Winter Sports Moving Forward
Though we are seeing a spike in COVID-19 cases in Ohio, I would like to utilize this update to reaffirm that the OHSAA winter sports seasons will go forward as planned. This decision comes after discussion with the Governor’s Office, the OHSAA Board of Directors and the OHSAA staff along with conversations with numerous administrators and the results of the membership survey that we just conducted. The result of that survey (with 1,464 total votes) is as follows:
a. Begin all winter sports contests as they are currently planned and scheduled for winter 2020-21.
Superintendents-114 yes; Principals-264 yes; Athletic Administrators-448 yes; Total-826 yes (56%)
b. Suspend all winter sports contests immediately and begin when/if conditions change.
Superintendents-37 yes; Principals-59 yes; Athletic Administrators-59 yes; Total-155 yes (11%)
c. Suspend all winter sports contests immediately and begin with a defined schedule beginning in January.
Superintedents-84 yes; Principals-142 yes; Athletic Administrators-257 yes; Total-483 yes (33%)

The decision for your school in moving forward is strictly a local decision . . . your school or school district may certainly choose not to participate in a contest or to pause your season(s) for a period and should do what is in your best interest.

Superintendents had a slight majority for some sort of suspension (114-121), principals had a majority for not suspending (264-201), athletic administrators had a significant majority for not suspending (448-316)

Superintendents also had the lowest response rate. It looks like 50-60% of principals statewide responded, while most athletic directors responded.

Of those which advocated some sort of suspension, by more than 2-to-1 (and in case of athletic administrators, over 4-to-1), they preferred a defined restart date and structure in 2021.

This is awesome.
Alright, let’s reschedule some of those tournaments.
10 full teams x 14 wrestlers = 140 wrestlers.
10 bus drivers.
3 coach max per team = 30 coaches.
5 officials.
3 table workers x 4 mats = 12 workers.
2 tournament directors.
=========
199 people in gym.
Then, allow 2 people per wrestler = 280 fans.
Total of 479 people.
=========
Can this be “socially distanced” in your gym?
What is your gym’s max capacity?

I can’t imagine it’s gonna be “just duals, tri’s or quads only”.
What about the jr hi and high school teams that have only 4 or 5 wrestlers... or less. No one will invite them to their dual.
Hopefully, those teams can find some individual pool or round-robin tournaments.

Well there's three counties that are now on a stay at home order so sucks for them...

If 3 Counties are on stay at home Orders but Ohio’s other 85 Counties are not I imagine there will be some lawsuits filed. In the 3 stay at Home Counties am I allowed to leave my stay at home county to go work in the county over from me? For the record, none of this crap is really enforceable!

I thought I heard that the stay at home is just a recommendation, kind of like a scare tactic. No fines or no arrest. I could be wrong, but I watched some of the health department press conf.

Correct. It is an advisory. They compared it to weather advisories. They recommend you stay indoors, etc, but it's still entirely up to the individual.

as long as you make the rules, you can make rules for others to follow but do whatever you want. That seems how these decisions are being made

Wow Groveport pushed their season back... practice starts December wrestling January maybe. A wrestler could blow his whole season with this. Could a wrestler transfer?

If all big tournaments are shutdown this season, which pretty much everyone has now, seems like at the most 8 teams at Brecksville. How are they going to hold districts that have 224 wrestlers from say 40 different teams, coaches, refs, workers, if any family members would be allowed to attend. Obviously its not full teams making it to district, outside of St. Ed's, Graham. Trying to maintain "Social Distancing" will be challenging. However if it was called an organized protest it would be allowed with no problem. Then there could be thousands and masks are optional and Social Distancing isn't required either. In the end I'm hopeful that these kids will get their WHOLE season in.