Ohio Unemployment Question

Termite2

My wife got laid off; so we tried to start a Unemployment claim with Ohio online.
Ran into a problem because she evidently filed a claim 15 years ago and we had a different email address back then and for some reason do not remember the PIN
We tried to reset using their automated phone but it says her Ohio drivers license is invalid [issued 10/19] and hangs up.
Tried calling the processing center for her last 4 digits SS; it disconnects.

Any ideas?

Finally got through to BMV; they said there is a problem with the Driver License info between agencies; at least they responded; of course they had no idea on how or when it would be fixed.

Day 2, no luck getting through to anyone; either you get "this line is no longer in service" or it disconnects. Might be due to the number of people trying to get through. ;)

Day 2, no luck getting through to anyone; either you get "this line is no longer in service" or it disconnects. Might be due to the number of people trying to get through. ;)

Try getting a phone number to a local office. Whether or not anyone is there, maybe your call will enter the queue at a different access ? Traditional call centers certainly must be closed, or distanced in some way. Who knows what is set up today.....

Try getting a phone number to a local office. Whether or not anyone is there, maybe your call will enter the queue at a different access ? Traditional call centers certainly must be closed, or distanced in some way. Who knows what is set up today.....

You call according to your last 4 SS digits, the call centers are spread across the state, the one for our SS is in Akron, we live in the Cincy area; all are automated
Our last call, 5 min ago; we hung up when the the automated system started giving the same spiel as the other 100 times; interestingly, the system called our number and gave us the automated spiel that due to heavy demand couldn't connect. I guess this is an improvement for all of yesterday, it just hung up on you..
We have tried various center [all are automated] in hope that would work, all have the same problem, we called the main help line; that is the one that says the Drivers license is invalid. We called BMV, they actually answered and the license was good but they couldn't help with the unemployment.

I think that calling directed by SS is totally new. Maybe a complete re-do and initial bugs running wild ? Awesome.

In the unlikely event that your wife did happen to work in another state with a lesser call volume, there may be an outside chance she could begin a claim there and have them linked once a human is involved in your process.

My last post leaves me wondering how many people will start claims in multiple states, trying to double-dip on the federal add-on. SS# cross-checking will eventually, maybe even initially, ferret them out, but I know a couple people with multiple SS#s that may try to get some extra loot. There are a few illegals with fake SS#s all over the US and Mexico. Hopefully all the scammers get pinched.

My wife got laid off; so we tried to start a Unemployment claim with Ohio online.
Ran into a problem because she evidently filed a claim 15 years ago and we had a different email address back then and for some reason do not remember the PIN

Are you just trying to reset the password/PIN for your old email account?

We tried to reset using their automated phone ...

Have you tried resetting the email password by using a different email address to confirm the new password (rather than doing it by phone)?

Conversely, when you file the unemployment claim online, can you just update your wife's email address in 'Settings'?

... but it says her Ohio drivers license is invalid [issued 10/19] and hangs up.
Tried calling the processing center for her last 4 digits SS; it disconnects.

Not sure I'm understanding how resetting an email account's password has anything to do with the validity of your wife's driver's license?

You have to get your PIN before you can do anything. They will mail it to you (only way).

Dealing with unemployment is usually a pain but it is 100x worse now I'm sure. Make sure once you do get your PIN to do everything online. The phone system can be painful as I'm sure you are finding out.

You have to get your PIN before you can do anything. They will mail it to you (only way).

Dealing with unemployment is usually a pain but it is 100x worse now I'm sure. Make sure once you do get your PIN to do everything online. The phone system can be painful as I'm sure you are finding out.

From my earlier post, you can tell I wasn't aware that the PIN Termite2 was talking about was actually related to filing an unemployment claim online. ? Thanks for clearing that up.

Can't get to part where they mail it to you to change the email provider; for that you need a Ohio Drivers license/state ID card, and the system says it is invalid, even though the we know the number is correct; it is the same number since the state changed from SS to Drivers License number.
Still trying to get through.

Can't get to part where they mail it to you to change the email provider; for that you need a Ohio Drivers license/state ID card, and the system says it is invalid, even though the we know the number is correct; it is the same number since the state changed from SS to Drivers License number.
Still trying to get through.
Good luck. Like I said, it is painful even without this Covid-19 crisis so I cannot imagine what it is like now.

From my earlier post, you can tell I wasn't aware that the PIN Termite2 was talking about was actually related to filing an unemployment claim online. ? Thanks for clearing that up.
Yeah, I kind of figured. As most know I used to run a labor hall and would have to coach newbies on the process. I think one apprentice said it best when he said he'd rather have a root canal than deal with Ohio Unemployment. :)

Finally, something different on the telephone line -music- no disconnect- appear to be in a queue - uh oh- do they close at 5?

With so many going to be on unemployment you have to wonder where the money will come from. Employers will be paying for this for years to come.

With so many going to be on unemployment you have to wonder where the money will come from. Employers will be paying for this for years to come.

In this particular case; the Feds are bankrolling it; it is in the Emergency relief bill.

Some details that I didn't make clear:

In 2003, my wife applied for unemployment; by phone; not through the internet. They asked if she had an email account, she said yes and gave them one. The state sent her a PIN through the mail by postcard, she was unemployed for 2 weeks, didn't have any problems getting paid and didn't realize she had to log in and set up an account. The state kept that information in the system for 17 years so when she tried to enroll by internet this time, they asked for her PIN, then because she didn't finish setting up the account [ie security questions] she couldn't proceed online. Since our email account changed 10 years ago the option to update PIN would not work, We then went to phone system to update email, that didn't work because the system said her Ohio Drivers license was invalid.[this was probably due to internet overload and system used a default message] We were able to contact BMV and they confirmed her drivers license was good. We then tried calling the service center assigned by her last 4 SS digits. It would connect and several minutes later disconnect- nothing but silence on the line. We tried calling the all purpose line, that line did the same thing. This was now 8 hours of trying on wed. On thursday the line had a message about overload and hung up. At 4:15 thursday the line had music, which was new[ we figured people stopped trying for the day] At 5pm we figured the employees would leave and another day wasted; but instead a person came on the line at 5:10 and we were able to complete the enrollment. The state had authorized OT for the workers.

Last edited:
In this particular case; the Feds are bankrolling it; it is in the Emergency relief bill.
And where is that money coming from? They can't just print money as they need it... well they can but that would have a disastrous effect on the economy. Someone has to pay for it, the Fed's are just the funnel.

Anyone near Northfield Ohio should use that BMV if their local one disappoints. Northfield is always smooth and easy. BMV jokes don't wash at all there.
Thanks, I'll drive the 2 hours from Toledo if that's the case. Every time I go to the local one it looks like something out of Men In Black. Lots of sweatpants.