Ohio State Recruiting

That is going to change over the next couple days for the class of 2019. Good chance they lose two of their top recruits in Jordan Battle and Doug Nester and the trend for Zach Harrison is not good either. This class could fall outside the top 20 nationally and even be 3rd in the B1G being pushed by Nebraska and Purdue for the 4th spot. So far Day is not able to hold on to what Urban had and is not flipping anything other than possibly an Iowa commit or picking up a low *** from North Carolina. Not quite the way to start the new era.

I thought the Day hire was done mostly for the sake of continuity, and especially for holding together the recruiting class now that there is an early signing period. Time will tell with Day, but I felt it was a major mistake not to open up the search and take serious looks for the successor to Urban. If they did that and still chose Day, fine...but this always felt forced to me, and sort of a knee-jerk to keep the recruits. That's not working out, so Day better wind up being a home run as a HC.

I know the Lincoln Riley thing has everyone in awe, but Stoops left a stocked cupboard for Riley. Time will tell how he does with his own guys as the years pass.

No matter who they hired, they were going to lose some players who had previously committed to play for Urban Meyer.

No matter who they hired, they were going to lose some players who had previously committed to play for Urban Meyer.

Very likely, but a guy from outside of the program might have held most of the current class together and flipped a couple of his own top recruits who wanted to follow him to Columbus. We will never know. It's Day's show now.

Semi-recruiting related. Justin Fields is likely to transfer from Georgia and apparently OSU is the favorite. He was a 5* and the #2 player last year's recruiting class.

I'm surprised that Ohio State seems to be one of the favorites for Fields. If he comes it would be a major splash.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fields coming here would be fantastic. The only question would be whether or not he'd have to sit out next season.

A lot of folks in Athens think he is going to Oklahoma as the 3rd transfer in a row to start for Lincoln Riley.

Limited sample size, but I'm pretty confident he would beat out Martell. Definitely a higher ceiling than Martell, at the least.

In terms of being a recruit, as far as dual threat QBs go 247sports has him as the 2nd highest rated all-time in their database, slotted between Vince Young and Terrelle Pryor. I hate being cliche, but this guy has huge upside.

Read on one of the OSU forums that Dwan Mathis may not sign with OSU tomorrow. Apparently because of the Justin Fields situation, will see tomorrow if their is any validation to that rumor.

Early Signing Day:

- Jordan Battle does flip to 'Bama so that pushes Daxton Hill back to UM.

- A lot of mixed signals on Dwan Mathis. Seen some reports that he signed his LOI but there are also reports that UGA is talking to him about signing with them to replace the departing Fields. Stay tuned...

The SEC is just killing it this year in recruiting. Things like tOSU's back up plan since there is a good chance that Nester flips was a 3 * OT from Illinois, Nick Broeker. He is now heading to Ole Miss to be part of an 8 player OL class for a program that is perennially on probation and mediocre on the field.

Mathis never even took a visit to UGA or had an offer until this whole Fields saga popped up, this is basically a marriage of convenience and hey he can always transfer next year if things are not what he or his parents like. No way would I ever want to be a NCAA football coach and have your career be dependent on the whims of teen age boys and their helicopter parents.

Fields and Haskins use the same personal trainer, if Fields decides on OSU, Haskins is definitely going pro.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear they've already discussed it between them.

Some of the dynamics between players, parents and coasches is very interesting.
Brady played behind Brian Griese his first 2 years at tsun and then had to compete with Drew Henson for the starting job. But he stuck it out, even thought it was a very difficult situation for him to deal with.
A lot of these teenagers have pro aspirations.
Teams and individual coaches offer such a variety of opportunities, but it would seem to be very difficult to encourage a backup to go elsewhere to increase their opportunity. If you can't beat out the starter where you are, what makes you think you can start at the next school?
Some stars excel with encouragement from their parents, some excel in spite of their parents, and some just miss out on talent or hard work.

Harrison is a huge addition and a giant rubber stamp for Day's credibility.

Mathis never even took a visit to UGA or had an offer until this whole Fields saga popped up, this is basically a marriage of convenience and hey he can always transfer next year if things are not what he or his parents like. No way would I ever want to be a NCAA football coach and have your career be dependent on the whims of teen age boys and their helicopter parents.

I have a conspiracy theory that Georgia is the one leaking this whole Justin Fields to OSU thing and not Fields himself, in order to flip Mathis

If OSU is going after Fields, the whole situation could blow up in Ryan Day's face. Already lost Mathis, if Fields does sign with OSU, Martell is also gone. Even if Fields does not sign with OSU, Martell might still leave being pi**ed at Day for going after Fields. Than what do the Bucks have at QB? Not much. Would be interesting if Hurts leaves Bammy as a graduate transfer and becomes a Buckeye.

A lot of moving parts on the fluid QB transfer market. Besides the already announced Kelly Bryant to Mizzou and Justin Fields it looks like Jaylen Hurts, Brandon Wimbush, and Deondre Francois will be moving on too. Hurts & Wimbush have holes in their games but nobody really knows what Francois can do because his OL was really bad. And it looks like B1G schools are at the top of the list when it comes to looking at these players: Wiscy, Penn State, & tOSU have all been linked to potential free agent QBs. WVU & Auburn (if Stidham leaves) could also be in the market.

My alma mater finally gets a 4-star player and OSU ends up "stealing" him. He better should get an ACL insurance policy, as every Ignatius linebacker who goes to OSU ends up getting that injury and never sees the field at OSU.

Last edited: