Ohio State hosts Big Ten Preview (Sat 9/28) and Big Ten (Sun 11/3)

KevinL

3605 Tremont Rd.
Columbus, OH 43221

Parking:
Upper Arlington Municipal Building
3600 Tremont Rd.
Columbus, OH 43221
*Across the street from The Ohio State University Golf Course*

Live Results:
https://results.timingfirst.com/meets/4367

This is the same location as the Big Ten Meet this year on Sunday Nov 3.

The preview meet has a nice field competing. With the All Ohio being held opposite today at Cedarville, it seems that the Buckeyes coaches have decided that event is not that important of a meet for the team. tOSU running club is the only Ohio State team competing at All Ohio.

In the women's event that just wrapped up,, tOSU had a respectable 3rd place showing with 74. Michigan won with 41 and Illinois was 2nd with 61. Lainey Studebaker (Centerville) and Abby Nichols (Alter) ran particularly well. Studebaker took 2nd place at 20:33 over the 6K course and Nichols took 5th in 20:49.

In the other thread for recommendations for the HS state meet, I mentioned the Ohio State golf course. I believe that it could be used but parking is fairly limited at the course and at the Upper Arlington Municipal building across the street. There's also some street parking in the neighborhoods off of Kenny & Tremont. This could be a viable venue but the schedule would need to be staggered with, potentially, different divisions being on different days - ie, D1 on Fri & D2 & D3 on Sat, etc

The preview meet has a nice field competing. With the All Ohio being held opposite today at Cedarville, it seems that the Buckeyes coaches have decided that event is not that important of a meet for the team. tOSU running club is the only Ohio State team competing at All Ohio.

In the women's event that just wrapped up,, tOSU had a respectable 3rd place showing with 74. Michigan won with 41 and Illinois was 2nd with 61. Lainey Studebaker (Centerville) and Abby Nichols (Alter) ran particularly well. Studebaker took 2nd place at 20:33 over the 6K course and Nichols took 5th in 20:49.

In the other thread for recommendations for the HS state meet, I mentioned the Ohio State golf course. I believe that it could be used but parking is fairly limited at the course and at the Upper Arlington Municipal building across the street. There's also some street parking in the neighborhoods off of Kenny & Tremont. This could be a viable venue but the schedule would need to be staggered with, potentially, different divisions being on different days - ie, D1 on Fri & D2 & D3 on Sat, etc

OSU hasn't attended All-Ohio for a few years. At least they had a legitimate excuse this year by hosting this meet. Some other DI schools such as Toledo, Miami, BGSU, Cincinnati, and YSU also took a pass on All-Ohio.

I was there today and I honestly can't conceive of how they could have the state meet here. First off I just don't think the managers of the golf course would be able to prevent lots of damage from that many people. And there just isn't enough space for the number of spectators. And as noted, parking would be a nightmare.

I was there today and I honestly can't conceive of how they could have the state meet here. First off I just don't think the managers of the golf course would be able to prevent lots of damage from that many people. And there just isn't enough space for the number of spectators. And as noted, parking would be a nightmare.
The only golf courses in Ohio that are designed to accommodate (parking, room for spectators, areas for porta johns, etc) a volume of fans similar to what the state XC meet draws would likely have no interest in hosting this meet for that very reason. I'm talking the level of Muirfield and Firestone here. 1 muddy year would be costly to repair and at a relatively negligible financial gain for the golf course. IIRC, a muddy year of that type was the final straw for holding the All-Ohio Collegiate meet at the golf course south of OWU that I knew as Doornoch during my time in that area.

OSU hasn't attended All-Ohio for a few years. At least they had a legitimate excuse this year by hosting this meet. Some other DI schools such as Toledo, Miami, BGSU, Cincinnati, and YSU also took a pass on All-Ohio.
It seems as if the All Ohio has lost a bit of its prestige. At one time it was considered to be an important meet
I was there today and I honestly can't conceive of how they could have the state meet here.
I need to plead ignorance here. I looked up the last time that the state meet was at the golf course and it was in 1984. I was 10 years old then and have no recollection of cross country other than remembering my brother being late to dinner because of cross country practice. Anyway, if the state meet was once was held there, why couldn't it be now? Was there a lot more parking at that time? If the divisions were held on different days would it not be feasible?

I don't care what is done but the meet really needs to be moved from National Trail. Other than having a lot of parking and relatively easy access, the venue has no redeeming qualities.

I am pretty sure that in 1984 the state meet was held on the campus at Ohio State. Now the Woody Hays Athletic Complex takes up that space. A few years before that it was held at Columbus Academy which was did not have enough parking.

I am pretty sure that in 1984 the state meet was held on the campus at Ohio State. Now the Woody Hays Athletic Complex takes up that space. A few years before that it was held at Columbus Academy which was did not have enough parking.
'84 was held at the OSU North Athletic Complex. My HS coach competed in '84. I'll take your word for its location since I haven't dug that deep yet, and my HS coach can't remember exactly where it was. '79 was at Col. Academy for the only time. The OSU Golf Course was the site prior to then. For how long? I don't know as I haven't dug that deep yet either.

At the top of the results from about '75 onward, it states where the meet was held:

Last edited:
1982 was at the golf course. 1983 and 84 were at the Agricultural Center / Woody Hayes Athletic Complex. '85 was switch to Scioto downs. No one was there for the 82 meet. I can barely remember any spectators. I'm not sure if they even had a concession stand at either the golf course or the Ag Center. My bibs were hand made out of wall paper. The scoreboards were large poster boards all hand written with hand written times and our names on labels stuck in the correct places. I'm not sure if all the runners moms and dads even attended the meet. Parking was terrible even then with only hundreds attending. Can't imagine it now. Take the smallest invite you have gone to and the worst awards ceremony at that meet and that was what is was like back then. I just burned my bib and the scoreboard they gave me this past year. I still have the programs somewhere and they are small. We ran for the love of the sport back then. Not the money.

'73 and '74 were at the golf course. I was there watching my oldest brother. I think you had to be top 20 to even make it into printed results. Maybe top 10

Mr. Slippery's post was not there when I started mine.

Last edited:
Psycho Dad is correct about the bib number. I ran at the state meet in 1968 and 1969. My numbers were made out of vinyl that was very similar to the material that would have been used on a kitchen or dining room tabletop. It was handwritten in black magic marker. Also, I don't remember seeing many (if any) spectators out on the course and no shirts were ever sold at the state meet (or any meet) back then. OMG - that is a half-century ago. Where did the time go!