Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

About the only positive from today is it’s clear Hayden should be RB1. The score looks a little better with that last touchdown considering 3 and 4 barely won.
Well, it certainly didn’t look like the Buckeyes were going to end up with the biggest margin of victory of the top 4. Thank you D!
Hopefully the O has been saving for next week.

I’m just not convinced that this is a very good team. 11 games into the season now. Hopefully they’ve been sandbagging all year. I feel like they’ve regressed as a whole every year under Day. Of course the defense looks better than last year with Knowles, but they couldn’t have possibly come out and been worse. Maybe they’ll do what they did in 2018 and come out and play by far their best game of the year next week.

Does anybody else ever look at Strouds body language on the sideline? He always looks like he just doesn’t give a f$ck about the game ever…..
Crying look, maybe that NIL money changes you. Looks like the weight of the world is on him. Henderson wasn't getting it done. We all knew it. Why didn't Day? Look at the last series and see that emotion. Why not throughout the game? We just look lifeless until we're about to die. Penn State held Maryland Scoreless. Oh well, on to Michigan.

Does anybody else ever look at Strouds body language on the sideline? He always looks like he just doesn’t give a f$ck about the game ever…..
??? He’s a stoic person, even when they’re doing well, he never gets too emotional.

Sad, but the whole game all I could think about was the Dr Pepper ad where the guy says it is only a game and there are more important things in life. But come next Sat. at noon nothing else matters and somehow the most important thing is we beat that team from up north.
What’s interesting this year is if the Buckeyes had lost yesterday and then won the next 2, they probably make the playoff.

So are the Buckeyes gonna be able to push around the Turtles or nah?

Gimme Maryland +26.5 today. I think these middling Big Ten teams cause some upset alerts for a little while.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Told ya so. When I say something, run with it to the bank like you stole something.

BYU and Syracuse still considered big wins?
Syracuse is. ND sent them on a death spiral by injuring their QB and shaking Syracuse’s confidence and tough persona by out-physicalling them.

BYU isn’t a big win, but still nice to pick up a win out there in Mormon country.

Clemson and North Carolina are big wins.

My son texted me yesterday morning to say that there were no good games on. Lol. It was fantastic from noon til the Utah-Oregon game was over. It's why I love CFB.

All the top teams struggled. Georgia's defense was very good but that offense was stinky. Michigan was terrible. Bert said the game was fixed. Lol. Ohio St was meh. TCU is trying its best to only win with last minute heroics. Tennessee - oh boy. Abominable defense.

Everyone is flawed - and they always are. It just doesn't look like it sometimes. I think we are the victims of our own unrealistic expectations that our team should be impressive in every phase, every week and we assume the other team they are playing is incapable of putting up a good fight and executing a good game plan.

That said, Ohio St and scUM seemed determined yesterday to make their fans wonder how in the world their team would win next week - until they saw how the other team looked.

Ohio St will most likely beat scUM because they have the better depth of talent, the better QB, the better receiving corps and passing game, and because they have more paths to victory than scUM does.

ScUM has to run the ball, play from close or ahead, and their defense has to hold up. Ohio St can win from ahead, close, behind, passing, running, or balanced, and whether their defense holds up or not. They have multiple paths to victory because they can adjust and compensate if a unit is struggling or circumstances aren't ideal.

Ideally, Ohio St wants to force McCarthy to win by throwing the ball downfield - something he hasn't consistently been able to do all year. But if scUM can get the game how they want it, it will be a war, but one that favors how they can win. If Corum is out or limited, that path for them becomes very narrow. FWIW

Last edited:
Looks like Julian Fleming has been regressing. He seems unwilling to fight for the ball and has several drops. I think OSU should have played Xavier Johnson in the back field some. With the wide receivers seeming to have a hard time getting open yesterday, Johnson would make and excellent weapon coming out of the backfield as a safety valve. I hope OSU have been holding some things back for Michigan.

Looks like Julian Fleming has been regressing. He seems unwilling to fight for the ball and has several drops. I think OSU should have played Xavier Johnson in the back field some. With the wide receivers seeming to have a hard time getting open yesterday, Johnson would make and excellent weapon coming out of the backfield as a safety valve. I hope OSU have been holding some things back for Michigan.
I was thinking the same thing. At least he got some returns in. But what if Williams and Henderson can’t finish the game next week? Maybe the coaches just trust XJ can step in without any problems.

I have NO doubt. That game has been circled for a year. But tsun will be energized also.

Crying look, maybe that NIL money changes you. Looks like the weight of the world is on him. Henderson wasn't getting it done. We all knew it. Why didn't Day? Look at the last series and see that emotion. Why not throughout the game? We just look lifeless until we're about to die. Penn State held Maryland Scoreless. Oh well, on to Michigan.
I really think that there are three teams that have to play well each week because they are going to get the absolute best game of the year from their opponents.
Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. And it is tough to get sky high motivated each week.
Most years all three of those teams have enough talent to overcome being a bit down on motivation. Alabama and Clemson just don’t have that far better talent this year.

As for Stroud. I think he is just totally into the game until the outcome is obvious. He laughs when the game is decided, but not before.

I was thinking the same thing. At least he got some returns in. But what if Williams and Henderson can’t finish the game next week? Maybe the coaches just trust XJ can step in without any problems.

I have NO doubt. That game has been circled for a year. But tsun will be energized also.
I was thinking that about 4 too, but a couple of the "drops" were closely defended and the DB had a hand in, but initially I was thinking "Julian has forgotten how to catch a football." Lol. Perhaps the real problem is not getting enough seperation to get a clean catch chance. Cold, hard footballs are slippery, so that could be a factor he is struggling with too.

After the first couple punts I was thinking Mirco had forgotten how to kick a football.

Another interesting thing about Ohio St is the game-wreckers they have on defense, but some of them disappear for stretches of games - but others appear. JTT and Zach Harrison have been pretty consistent lately and so has Ransom. But there are guys who flash greatness and then go into witness protection: Mike Hall, T Vincent. Eichenberg and Chambers have been consistently very good defending the rush. McCallister is pretty consistent, but had some bad moments. The Ohio St defense looks and is exploitable, but then one of those guys steps up and wrecks the opponent. But you don't have any idea who it will be in a given game.

The CBs have been variable due to injuries and mostly a liability. When Cam Brown turned and defended a long pass, I noted the rarity of it and my buddy said, "I almost cried." Lol.

Another thought I have had about the RBs - and you can judge the legitimacy of it. Miyan Williams is fine when he is healthy, but I suspect Alford has screwed up Henderson due to this "run tough and be physical" emphasis. Last year they got him in space and he just made cuts and ran to daylight - being explosive in the process. We saw it again on the 1st scoring drive vs Maryland. He got the little screen outlet and, zoom, score. But otherwise he hits a hole and seems to be looking to run someone over instead of cutting to daylight. It doesn't look to me like he is running instinctively. FWIW

I really think that there are three teams that have to play well each week because they are going to get the absolute best game of the year from their opponents.
Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. And it is tough to get sky high motivated each week.
Notre Dame, Georgia, Michigan and USC are in the same boat.

Syracuse is. ND sent them on a death spiral by injuring their QB and shaking Syracuse’s confidence and tough persona by out-physicalling them.

BYU isn’t a big win, but still nice to pick up a win out there in Mormon country.

Clemson and North Carolina are big wins.

A win against a 5 loss team that played its back up QB most of the game is a big win? Pass whatever it is you’re puffing and/or drinking