Ohio State Buckeyes 2019

I would agree with this if the Bucks were playing Minnesota. But a rematch with Whisky throws a bit of a wrench into things. I just don't have a clue as to how the committee will view this game. Do they expect that anythng less then a 35 point win by Ohio State is underachieving? Or do they take the track that I would and expect that rematch games in which one team gets blown out can be particularly tough.

And if the playoff rankings mirror the AP rankings then LSU will have a better resume then Ohio State if they beat Georgia. With Bama & Florida in the top 10 and Auburn at 11 or 12 a win over the #4 Bulldogs makes for a nice body of work.

This is why Minny laying an ostrich egg last week hurt the Buckeyes almost as much as it hurt them IMO.

Of course maybe the place to be is at #2. That way if you win out you really were the best team as it means you beat both Clemson and either Ohio State or LSU. Now that's an impressive resume for any 15 - 0 National Champion.
I think you're not reading in between the lines of what the committee has been saying since the jump. They have said repeatedly that OSU is the most complete team and the strength of schedule stuff is used in tie breakers. IMHO they have believed all along that OSU is the best team and LSU and Clemson are a small notch below the Bucs. If OSU beats Wisky and LSU beats Georgia I still think they have already made up their minds. Still think if everyone wins out it will be
OSU v Utah
LSU v Clemson

I wouldn't be surprised if LSU jumps to #1 after beating Georgia. The reason they've called Ohio State the most complete team is due to defense. However, LSU's most recent defensive performance was dominant and likely will be again this week since Georgia's offense is mediocre at full strength and they're missing key players to boot.

It really does not matter so much if you are 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Normally I'd agree. But it matters this year because #3 is going to be Clemson and they might be the best team. Whereas #4 is going to be a team that Ohio State and LSU would both be heavily favored against. A lot tougher road to beat both Clemson and LSU rather than just one of them

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma
7. Baylor
8. Wisconsin
9. Florida
10. Penn State
11. Auburn
12. Alabama
13. Oregon
14. Michigan
15. Notre Dame
16. Iowa
17. Memphis
18. Minnesota
19. Boise State
20. Cincinnati
21. Appalachian State
22. USC
23. Virginia
24. Navy
25. Oklahoma State

If LSU loses (I think they will), How does it go then? OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU?
Curious why you think that.
Average point spread for LSU 26.6
Average point spread for Georgia 22.5
LSU has probably played a bit stronger schedule. For the 4 common opponents.
Average point spread LSU 22
Average point spread Georgia 11
You think Georgia's defense can handle LSU offense?
Or you thinking something else?

What happens if both LSU and OSU lose ? Would the CFP committee put two teams in the CFP that did not win their conference championship ?

Yes, I think they would. No way Wisconsin gets in as the Big 10 champ. They would have a way to keep LSU in and still include the SEC champ, which would be Georgia. I don't think Oklahoma or Utah have a stronger resume than OSU with an OSU loss. Especially considering their wins have been pretty dominant all year.

Minnesota's loss not good for OSU. Wisconsin lower rated opponent. OSU beating Wisconsin will be dwarfed by LSU beating #4 Georgia. LSU back to #1 and OSU-Clemson in the cards.

Grossly over-stated.

It does leave the door open IF tOSU looks bad in barely beating Wiscy and LSU boat-races UGA. You're drawing for a 9 in an inside straight while your opponent was dealt trip 9s.

This.

Many think it is just a matter of when, not if the playoffs will expand to 8 so it includes all Power 5 conference champs. At that point OOC will not matter as much unless you are looking for one of the 3 at large spots, then it will be a huge metric especially is a W is against a champ that has qualified.

6 team playoff, byes for top two. Make 'em play hard until the end of their schedules to win the byes on style points.

For the same reason I thought it was wrong to jump Ohio State over LSU BEFORE the Michigan game it would be wrong to now put LSU over Ohio State BEFORE the SEC championship game. As impressive as the Tigers beat down of A&M was, the Ohio State beat down of Michigan was more impressive.

I know this won't be a popular position but if LSU beats Georgia then no matter what the BUCKS do against Whisky, LSU should go to #1. This is why I'm so annoyed at Minnesota.

No way. This^ is very silly.

UGA's offense is substandard and will make LSU's second-tier defense appear better than it is. tOSU is a complete team.

The top three are chalk if they win. If UGA wins, which is the most-likely-but-still-unlikely upset, they flip spots with LSU and the top four remain in.

UGA is out with a loss, no matter how close. In this case, Utes win and are likely in. It would take a huge Ok win and a Ute squeaker for them to jump Utah.

If Baylor and Oregon both win big, and the top three all win big, Baylor could sneak in.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that will change things, though if you are on the 8-9 bubble it will still matter just like it does on the 4-5 bubble now.

When it goes to 8, the top schools will have a less pressure to go undefeated as 2-loss teams will start to become the norm on the bottom half of the bracket.

And that^ isn't good for college football. It's probably a mistake to diminish the regular season that way. 6 teams, 2 byes.

LSU will not take over the one spot unless the Buckeyes lose. The committee had to give them some credit for the Bama win but they have said from the beginning that the Bucks were the most balanced team.
It will be
OSU v Utah/Okla
LSU v Clemson

yup

Unless UGA beats LSU. A loss by any of the top 3, and they fall to 4 - even Clemson, Dabo.

I imagine LSU goes to #1 with a win over Georgia, but things could be interesting if Ohio State puts an absolute smackdown on Wisconsin. I can't see them going down a spot after winning on the road by four scores in a huge rivalry game against a top-15 opponent.

The committee has limited rhyme or reason to it's decision making, but it would still be hard to justify dropping them a spot in the final rankings if they hammer a top-15 Wisconsin team at a neutral site worse than the beat down they put on them in Columbus earlier this year.

They won't fall with a win, period.

Neither of those top 10 opponents were scoring points in "garbage time". They were scoring after halftime and it nearly cost them twice. It's pretty easy to look up team stats per game and find they are chilling below mid-major teams in yards and points per game.

It's taken stellar performance by Burrow to keep that defense out of trouble time and again.

To an extent it was as in both games LSU opened up 2 TD leads very late in the 4th quarter. We all know the effectiveness of the "prevent" defense.

Having watched all of LSU's games this season their defense is a trouble spot for sure. It's also head scratching as they probably have at least 5 NFL 1st round picks on that side of the ball. Their secondary is ON PAPER particularly strong. IMO the Tigers D is suffering from the same thing the Bucks D suffered from last year - BAD coaching.

Recently, the LSU D played up to their potential in the first half against Bama and for the whole game against A&M. IF and it's a BIG IF the Tigers D continues to play this well they will be hard for anybody to beat.

Love me some lotr spin :D

Go, A&M!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:?

Curious why you think that.
Average point spread for LSU 26.6
Average point spread for Georgia 22.5
LSU has probably played a bit stronger schedule. For the 4 common opponents.
Average point spread LSU 22
Average point spread Georgia 11
You think Georgia's defense can handle LSU offense?
Or you thinking something else?

Gotta be. I don't expect that^, myself.

Yes, I think they would. No way Wisconsin gets in as the Big 10 champ. They would have a way to keep LSU in and still include the SEC champ, which would be Georgia. I don't think Oklahoma or Utah have a stronger resume than OSU with an OSU loss. Especially considering their wins have been pretty dominant all year.
this

Pretty much agree. But style points might come into play.
If LSU and tOSU both get blown out (don't think that will happen), and OK and Utah both get blow out wins, it opens a little crack, but only a little one.