Ohio State Buckeyes 2019

#1 get to choose where they play in the semi-final so it does matter especially with the possibility of playing UGA and Clemson in Atlanta. It would essentially be a home game for them as Athens is an hour away and Clemson is only 2 hours away. Meanwhile, OSU has a huge fan base near Phoenix.
Just hoping everything works out for a OSU / LSU NC game.
Both of those teams have been fun to watch this year.

Also, for those that gave tOSU a hard time for no power 5 OOC opponents, the three teams they did play are all in their respective Conference Title Games.
As of now, tOSU has Power 5 OOC opponents for the next 12 seasons, including 2 in at least a couple. The usual anti-Buckeye crowd may criticize the Washington or BC games, but they also have ND, Georgia, Oregon, and Texas.

The Buckeyes have generally had better OOC schedules than Alabama every year. Alabama is stepping it up. They continue to play those one year neutral site games the next couple years, but finally start some big home and homes in 2022 (Texas, Wisconsin, Florida St, West Virginia, ND, Oklahoma). So apparently they have listened to the criticism and are stepping up, preparing for the post-Saban years.

Or they know playoff expansion is happening and OOC games won't really matter

This.

Many think it is just a matter of when, not if the playoffs will expand to 8 so it includes all Power 5 conference champs. At that point OOC will not matter as much unless you are looking for one of the 3 at large spots, then it will be a huge metric especially is a W is against a champ that has qualified.

By the way, the 2021 season CFP title game will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium January 2022. 1st time ever a NCAA football championship will be decided north of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Mississippi.

Nice W for the Buckeyes as they did what they had to to get the job done. Not a lot of style points though and I am sure some folks will criticize them for this if they are #1 in the playoff rankings.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this week's rankings, I would not be surprised to see LSU move up a spot because of the beat down they had on Texas A&M. I also think the rankings are huge as while Clemson has not had the toughest schedule and struggled a little mid-season they have battle tested coaches that know the NCAA rodeo and can navigate it better than a 1st year head coach like Ryan Day. The best path for tOSU would be playing a Utah or Oklahoma in AZ. Dabo has already started a little of the head game aspect by feigning disrespect for his team by the NCAA. Also the semifinal games are a few days earlier this year, 12/30 so there is a little less time to get ready and you have to navigate the X-Mas Holiday. Now is the time for Ryan Day to make his mark...

For the same reason I thought it was wrong to jump Ohio State over LSU BEFORE the Michigan game it would be wrong to now put LSU over Ohio State BEFORE the SEC championship game. As impressive as the Tigers beat down of A&M was, the Ohio State beat down of Michigan was more impressive.

I know this won't be a popular position but if LSU beats Georgia then no matter what the BUCKS do against Whisky, LSU should go to #1. This is why I'm so annoyed at Minnesota.

By the way, the 2021 season CFP title game will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium January 2022. 1st time ever a NCAA football championship will be decided north of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Mississippi.

They should open the damn roof to really make things fair & interesting!

This.

Many think it is just a matter of when, not if the playoffs will expand to 8 so it includes all Power 5 conference champs. At that point OOC will not matter as much unless you are looking for one of the 3 at large spots, then it will be a huge metric especially is a W is against a champ that has qualified.
Yeah I think that will change things, though if you are on the 8-9 bubble it will still matter just like it does on the 4-5 bubble now.

When it goes to 8, the top schools will have a less pressure to go undefeated as 2-loss teams will start to become the norm on the bottom half of the bracket.

Nice W for the Buckeyes as they did what they had to to get the job done. Not a lot of style points though and I am sure some folks will criticize them for this if they are #1 in the playoff rankings.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this week's rankings, I would not be surprised to see LSU move up a spot because of the beat down they had on Texas A&M. I also think the rankings are huge as while Clemson has not had the toughest schedule and struggled a little mid-season they have battle tested coaches that know the NCAA rodeo and can navigate it better than a 1st year head coach like Ryan Day. The best path for tOSU would be playing a Utah or Oklahoma in AZ. Dabo has already started a little of the head game aspect by feigning disrespect for his team by the NCAA. Also the semifinal games are a few days earlier this year, 12/30 so there is a little less time to get ready and you have to navigate the X-Mas Holiday. Now is the time for Ryan Day to make his mark...
So scoring eight touchdowns against the thirteenth ranked team is not stylish?

For the same reason I thought it was wrong to jump Ohio State over LSU BEFORE the Michigan game it would be wrong to now put LSU over Ohio State BEFORE the SEC championship game. As impressive as the Tigers beat down of A&M was, the Ohio State beat down of Michigan was more impressive.

I know this won't be a popular position but if LSU beats Georgia then no matter what the BUCKS do against Whisky, LSU should go to #1. This is why I'm so annoyed at Minnesota.
LSU will not take over the one spot unless the Buckeyes lose. The committee had to give them some credit for the Bama win but they have said from the beginning that the Bucks were the most balanced team.
It will be
OSU v Utah/Okla
LSU v Clemson

LSU will not take over the one spot unless the Buckeyes lose. The committee had to give them some credit for the Bama win but they have said from the beginning that the Bucks were the most balanced team.
It will be
OSU v Utah/Okla
LSU v Clemson
LSU just won 50-7. LSU defense is back at 100%. If LSU beats #4 Georgia. LSU is #1 no matter what. OSU was only number #1 if Alabama was the #4.

I imagine LSU goes to #1 with a win over Georgia, but things could be interesting if Ohio State puts an absolute smackdown on Wisconsin. I can't see them going down a spot after winning on the road by four scores in a huge rivalry game against a top-15 opponent.

The committee has limited rhyme or reason to it's decision making, but it would still be hard to justify dropping them a spot in the final rankings if they hammer a top-15 Wisconsin team at a neutral site worse than the beat down they put on them in Columbus earlier this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by back. Healthy, maybe. But they've been bottom half of the SEC all year.
Their average half time score the last 6 games in the SEC is like 30-6. That’s with two top 10 opponents. In garbage time they give up yards.

Their average half time score the last 6 games in the SEC is like 30-6. That’s with two top 10 opponents. In garbage time they give up yards.

Neither of those top 10 opponents were scoring points in "garbage time". They were scoring after halftime and it nearly cost them twice. It's pretty easy to look up team stats per game and find they are chilling below mid-major teams in yards and points per game.

Seriously! Are you auditioning to be a member of the BUCKS grammar police?
Not at all but when you post and use the wrong acronym talking about the Buckeyes, it makes you look like you have no clue about the Buckeyes and are not a fan. Maybe you aren't a fan. In that case you are doing it on purpose, which makes you look even worse in my book. Go Buckeyes!

So the points to Texas and Bama were in garbage time?

To an extent it was as in both games LSU opened up 2 TD leads very late in the 4th quarter. We all know the effectiveness of the "prevent" defense.

Having watched all of LSU's games this season their defense is a trouble spot for sure. It's also head scratching as they probably have at least 5 NFL 1st round picks on that side of the ball. Their secondary is ON PAPER particularly strong. IMO the Tigers D is suffering from the same thing the Bucks D suffered from last year - BAD coaching.

Recently, the LSU D played up to their potential in the first half against Bama and for the whole game against A&M. IF and it's a BIG IF the Tigers D continues to play this well they will be hard for anybody to beat.

Not at all but when you post and use the wrong acronym talking about the Buckeyes, it makes you look like you have no clue about the Buckeyes and are not a fan. Maybe you aren't a fan. In that case you are doing it on purpose, which makes you look even worse in my book. Go Buckeyes!

Chill out man. I am a fan who typically gets to a couple of games a year at the Shoe (did I get that right?). I'm not a fanatic though and enjoy college football in general as much as I enjoy watching the BUCKS. I reserve my fanaticism for the NFL.

To an extent it was as in both games LSU opened up 2 TD leads very late in the 4th quarter. We all know the effectiveness of the "prevent" defense.

Having watched all of LSU's games this season their defense is a trouble spot for sure. It's also head scratching as they probably have at least 5 NFL 1st round picks on that side of the ball. Their secondary is ON PAPER particularly strong. IMO the Tigers D is suffering from the same thing the Bucks D suffered from last year - BAD coaching.

Recently, the LSU D played up to their potential in the first half against Bama and for the whole game against A&M. IF and it's a BIG IF the Tigers D continues to play this well they will be hard for anybody to beat.

I don't recall either LSU going prevent against either. Do you have any film to prove your claim?

It will be
OSU v Utah/Okla
LSU v Clemson

I would agree with this if the Bucks were playing Minnesota. But a rematch with Whisky throws a bit of a wrench into things. I just don't have a clue as to how the committee will view this game. Do they expect that anythng less then a 35 point win by Ohio State is underachieving? Or do they take the track that I would and expect that rematch games in which one team gets blown out can be particularly tough.

And if the playoff rankings mirror the AP rankings then LSU will have a better resume then Ohio State if they beat Georgia. With Bama & Florida in the top 10 and Auburn at 11 or 12 a win over the #4 Bulldogs makes for a nice body of work.

This is why Minny laying an ostrich egg last week hurt the Buckeyes almost as much as it hurt them IMO.

Of course maybe the place to be is at #2. That way if you win out you really were the best team as it means you beat both Clemson and either Ohio State or LSU. Now that's an impressive resume for any 15 - 0 National Champion.

I don't recall either LSU going prevent against either. Do you have any film to prove your claim?

In the Texas game LSU went into prevent. No I don't have any film I just watched the game.

In the Bama game LSU did something even dumber. After taking a 46 - 34 lead on Bama in Tuscaloosa with about one minute left they decided to go into PRESS COVERAGE with their corner backs against Bama's NFL ready WR's. Tua then threw an 86 yard TD pass!

Like I said the LSU defensive coach could give Schiano a run for his money!

Minnesota's loss not good for OSU. Wisconsin lower rated opponent. OSU beating Wisconsin will be dwarfed by LSU beating #4 Georgia. LSU back to #1 and OSU-Clemson in the cards.

If Ohio State is worried about playing Clemson in the semis rather than staying the number one seed and having a potential semi game against Utah or Oklahoma then Ohio State should just turn down their playoff invite, assuming they are safely in the playoffs.