Ohio State Buckeyes 2019

Ohio State should never win fewer than 10 games playing in the Big Ten, period. There are no programs on its level and haven't been since Carr left Michigan. So forgive me if I am not impressed with Meyer's record, which includes getting embarrassed by Iowa and Purdue and nearly losing several other games they should have won by 30!

I get it. People are afraid to admit Meyer had lost his edge, so they use his record as a buffer against the arguments.

Lost his edge are you serious? Went 13 - 1, won the Rose Bowl and beat TTUN again who he was 7 - 0 against. I don't think any fans from TTUN would want Carr back.

Meyer's teams should have been in the CFP every season. That's the talent he had, but he failed. Having relative success does not mean he did not fall short. Let's not forget getting shut out by Clemson!

:laugh: "forgive me if I am not impressed with Meyer's record"

I've been a critic of Meyer's loyalty to bad coaches (and Barrett), but to not be impressed by his record is completely insane

Wow....tough crowd. You could argue that Urban should have won another Natty at OSU and was too loyal to certain players and coaches but c'mon man....it was a helluva 7 year run!! Maybe with him gone OSU will get better treatment from committee too as they seemed to dislike Urban.

Meyer's teams should have been in the CFP every season. That's the talent he had, but he failed. Having relative success does not mean he did not fall short. Let's not forget getting shut out by Clemson!

I won't agree that Urban was a complete failure, because he beefed up recruiting and left as solid infrastructure in place...as well as compiling a fantastic overall record. And, of course, he delivered a natty.

I do agree it was a huge fail not to make the playoffs the last two seasons due to the inexcusable losses to Iowa and Purdue, and the showing against Clemson in the playoffs was pathetic. He certainly got off to an awesome start, playoff-wise, but it was pretty much all fail after that. Even the year after the title he failed to take a loaded team back to the playoffs due to that terrible loss to Sparty, when Urban turtled the offense.

I won't agree that Urban was a complete failure, because he beefed up recruiting and left as solid infrastructure in place...as well as compiling a fantastic overall record. And, of course, he delivered a natty.

I do agree it was a huge fail not to make the playoffs the last two seasons due to the inexcusable losses to Iowa and Purdue, and the showing against Clemson in the playoffs was pathetic. He certainly got off to an awesome start, playoff-wise, but it was pretty much all fail after that. Even the year after the title he failed to take a loaded team back to the playoffs due to that terrible loss to Sparty, when Urban turtled the offense.

What do you want him to go undefeated every year ? When is the last time Alabama went undefeated ? I wish Ryan Day all the success in the world but people are going to find out real quick how good of a coach Meyer was.

What do you want him to go undefeated every year ? When is the last time Alabama went undefeated ? I wish Ryan Day all the success in the world but people are going to find out real quick how good of a coach Meyer was.

When was the last time Bama took a loss like the losses to Purdue and Iowa? No excuse for those losses to that caliber of team. Even if you do lose to those two, it can't be a total arse-whupping.

When was the last time Bama took a loss like the losses to Purdue and Iowa? No excuse for those losses to that caliber of team. Even if you do lose to those two, it can't be a total arse-whupping.

What would you rather have, beat TTUN every year and a loss to a team that is 500 once in a while or someone who wins all of their conference games except loses to that TTUN once in a while. I would rather have the former and not the latter, I still remember the John Cooper years. Once again Urban Meyer loss a total of 4 regular season conference games in 7 years no other coach in OSU's history not even the great Woody Hayes had a stretch like that. It is not as easy to win games in the BIG as some posters might think, if it was Harbaugh would not struggle as much as he has.

I wish Ryan Day all the success in the world but people are going to find out real quick how good of a coach Meyer was.

100%. I think we got too used to the success that Meyer brought. Not saying Day won't do well, because I think he will, but I think there will be a bit of a step back. Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

Urban was great and he will be missed. Did a lot for our program. However I don't agree we will take a step back as long as we can get the same type of recruits we are accustomed to. The game is shifting towards a different type of tempo/style of play etc. Just look at the national championship game. I believe that Day's style fits more of what goes on today. Meyer, while still one of the top coaches in the game before he retired, lost a little of his touch that made him special. Day is very innovative. His innovativeness will help keep us where we are. Again, this is assuming we still get premier players which I think we will.

It's totally fair to say Meyer underachieved the past few years even though he posted a very good record. I hear the same boneheaded "record defense" with regards to Mike Tomlin from Steelers fans. A coach can post a fantastic record and still be a disappointment if the talent he was working with was championship caliber. The losses to Iowa and Purdue were inexcusable (and also remind me of Tomlin losing to teams like Oakland or tying Cleveland week 1). Losing to Clemson wasn't bad in itself but getting pantsed was an embarrassment. Nearly losing to Maryland this year really pushed me into the Meyer is losing it side.

Talking to a player agent he said that tOSU is basically going the NFL style coaching route, hot young offensive mind that will be paired with solid QBs to out score opponents. Difference is NCAA FB doesn't have a draft and with constant roster turn over recruiting will be the key to Day's success. I have not heard much about Day being a dynamic recruiter but then again everything is there for him to be successful so he gets a couple years and if it doesn't work out the assistant AD could be waiting in the wings to right the ship in a pinch...

What would you rather have, beat TTUN every year and a loss to a team that is 500 once in a while or someone who wins all of their conference games except loses to that TTUN once in a while. I would rather have the former and not the latter, I still remember the John Cooper years. Once again Urban Meyer loss a total of 4 regular season conference games in 7 years no other coach in OSU's history not even the great Woody Hayes had a stretch like that. It is not as easy to win games in the BIG as some posters might think, if it was Harbaugh would not struggle as much as he has.

I'd rather OSU beat Michigan every year and not get blown out by incredibly average teams. Not sure why it has to be either "Beat Michigan and get blown out to incredibly average teams OR win all conference games except loses to Michigan once in awhile."

I'd rather OSU beat Michigan every year and not get blown out by incredibly average teams. Not sure why it has to be either "Beat Michigan and get blown out to incredibly average teams OR win all conference games except loses to Michigan once in awhile."

How many OSU coaches have ever done that. Name 1 that went 7 - 0 vs TTUN.

Apparently Martell got a hint that the mercenary was going to take the position when he was seen sitting with Urban and a couple other higher ups at the basketball game the other day.

I have two issues with Fields:

1. It doesn't look good character-wise that he up and left because he didn't get the starting job. Double that he blames a flimsy case of racism.

2. Jake Fromm isn't exactly an All-American QB. Granted, it was a Jr. vs a Fr. situation but are there any concerns Fields isn't as good as expected out of HS?

1. It doesn't look good character-wise that he up and left because he didn't get the starting job. Double that he blames a flimsy case of racism.

2. Jake Fromm isn't exactly an All-American QB. Granted, it was a Jr. vs a Fr. situation but are there any concerns Fields isn't as good as expected out of HS?

I agree with #1 but regarding #2, Fromm was a sophomore this year and took Georgia to the championship game as a freshman. There had been talk all year the Fields was having problems with the playbook in practice and had trouble reading defenses, so he was relegated to mainly mop up duty with some running plays beyond that.

Fields had been complaining all year about his role though and there is a video of him whining about it after the second game of the season. It is obvious that he felt he deserved the starting QB position without earning it, being that there was no way he was going to unseat Fromm after the second game of the season.

The kid certainly has talent, but he not on the level of some of the younger QBs out there. If you look at his high school numbers, they were good but definitely don't match up with some of the best in Georgia including Jake Fromm. He only started 1.75 years in high school and got injured his senior year.

He is going to need some good QB coaching and become a team player if he is going to be a good college QB, which remains to be seen...

Fromm is a sophomore, fyi. I'd say Fromm is handcuffed to by the offense. Is he a Heisman contender with Ryan Day this year? No, but I think he could put up significantly better stats with a better offense.

lol

I feel badly that you felt that you had to type that^. I get it.

On behalf of Yappers everywhere, I apologize. :laugh:

Urban Meyer was great for the program on so many levels, and his continued presense at the university is great news. He will be a tOSU Legend, and he earned it.

That said, if we can lose the pattern created under Urban of the annual brain-fart, roll-over whuppin' that knocks the Buckeyes out of the top 3, that'd be great.