Ohio State Buckeyes 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you not want your team in the playoffs? In the current landscape of college football making the playoffs and losing is still a better selling point than winning a New Years 6 game.

I wish Georgia and OSU would play, have OSU run it up. Would just add fuel to fire for expansion. Maybe wishful thinking they would run it up but I think they can beat UGA. The offense is good enough to give them at least a punchers chance against any team.

I don't have enough faith in OSU D and would rather see an OSU win in the Rose Bowl than a possible beat down by Alabama. Unfortunately this year we don't know which OSU team will show up. If OSU isn't playing for a National Title I would prefer to see them in a winnable bowl game. Washington is an easier match up than UGA. I would have been fine with UGA as the four seed over Oklahoma. The path to an expanded playoff would have been helped by that scenario.

Why would you not want your team in the playoffs? In the current landscape of college football making the playoffs and losing is still a better selling point than winning a New Years 6 game.

I wish Georgia and OSU would play, have OSU run it up. Would just add fuel to fire for expansion. Maybe wishful thinking they would run it up but I think they can beat UGA. The offense is good enough to give them at least a punchers chance against any team.

Is that why all the OSU haters can't stop bringing up the loss to Clemson?

Can you imagine the "woofing" that would be going on had Ohio State got in to the CFP and was up against Alabama? The comparative score crowd would give them no chance. They would point out that Alabama was 109 "comparative" points better than Ohio State.

They already won the Big 10 and are in the Rose Bowl. Who cares how it looks now?

Not worried about this year. Just makes it harder in future years to get in. Makes Georgia ranked above OSU look more legit.:shrug:

Not worried about this year. Just makes it harder in future years to get in. Makes Georgia ranked above OSU look more legit.:shrug:

Why would this year have any bearing on future playoff selections? It's not a running poll, but a yeqrly playoff. More than in any sport, college teams can dramatically change from year to year.

Is that why all the OSU haters can't stop bringing up the loss to Clemson?

Who cares what OSU haters have to say?

I think in today's landscape it will always be a better selling point to make the playoffs and get blown out, then win a bowl game.

Clemson got destroyed last year but didn't miss a beat in recruiting or play on the field since. I doubt many of their fans would hold the same viewpoint that it is better to not make the playoffs than be in them.

Give me the situation where there is at least a possibility of winning a NC (no matter how small of a chance)

Why would this year have any bearing on future playoff selections? It's not a running poll, but a yeqrly playoff. More than in any sport, college teams can dramatically change from year to year.
Interesting comment considering your comments earlier about the Clemson loss and OSU haters...

Why are you concerned about the Clemson loss and the perception it holds?

I think the last two Big Ten appearances in the national playoffs set the Big Ten back. Getting shut out in back to back years didn't help the perception of the Big Ten. I think it was a consideration in deciding to deny the Big Ten a spot in the playoffs last year and this year. A one loss Big Ten champion is already being outranked by a two loss Sec team. Purdue's loss to Auburn made that loss look worse. If the Big Ten champion got beat by a team obviously that bad what does that say for the Big Ten? You think the committee doesn't take these things into consideration?

Interesting comment considering your comments earlier about the Clemson loss and OSU haters...

Why are you concerned about the Clemson loss and the perception it holds?

Not really any flaw in what I said. I said past seasons shouldn't matter, yet every year I get to hear about Clemson and likely Purdue next year.

There's a difference between how I think it should be and how a large portion of the college fanbase, like bob, think.

Are you implying that there is some sort of conspiracy between ESPN and the B10?

I wouldn't say that but more so of a pumping up of the SEC bc of tv contracts.

They certainly want to sell their "product" and hype it up as much as they can. Do I think ESPN has any direct say in who makes the playoffs? I hope not and I doubt it.

I think if ESPN got to choose they would want the money printing machine that is OSU in the playoffs.

I think the last two Big Ten appearances in the national playoffs set the Big Ten back. Getting shut out in back to back years didn't help the perception of the Big Ten. I think it was a consideration in deciding to deny the Big Ten a spot in the playoffs last year and this year. A one loss Big Ten champion is already being outranked by a two loss Sec team. Purdue's loss to Auburn made that loss look worse. If the Big Ten champion got beat by a team obviously that bad what does that say for the Big Ten? You think the committee doesn't take these things into consideration?

So you've set a subjective timeline of two years, conveniently ignoring the year rigjt before that where the Big 10 had a very good showing, as your benchmark for how much history should be taken into account when deciding present day competitors for a championship. You'll forgive me if that sounds like cherry picking convenient facts to tell the story you want told.

How many playoff wins does the Big 12 have? Why does that not equallly count when considering if Oklahoma gets in?

What about Notre Dame's last championship showing? Should that have been held against them this season?

What about all the games that take place outside of the CFP games? The Big 10 has had fairly decent bowl seasons while the SEC some disappointing ones. Those, subjectively, don't get to count either?

My opinion is the answer is a resounding no. It's the current seasons body of work. I have maintained for many weeks now that OSU did not deserve the 4th spot over a few other choices. But if your reasoning is because of something that happened last season, then this system is already broken. Whether or not the committee does something is different than asking if they should.

I wouldn't say that but more so of a pumping up of the SEC bc of tv contracts.

They certainly want to well their "product" and hype it up as much as they can. Do I think ESPN has any direct say in who makes the playoffs? I hope not and I doubt it.

Possibly, but OSU fans like playing the victim. It's the B10/Ohio State vs the world, when in reality a specific instance of the B10 deserving to be in when they weren't can't be pointed to.

Not really any flaw in what I said. I said past seasons shouldn't matter, yet every year I get to hear about Clemson and likely Purdue next year.

There's a difference between how I think it should be and how a large portion of the college fanbase, like bob, think.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I am an idiot :laugh: carry on, don't mind me :laugh: :dang:

Possibly, but OSU fans like playing the victim. It's the B10/Ohio State vs the world, when in reality a specific instance of the B10 deserving to be in when they weren't can't be pointed to.

The conspiracy of ESPN vs OSU in the CFP doesnt make too much sense to me. ESPN has the contract for the playoffs. Look at tv ratings for OSU games. It has been posted and shown how many more eyeballs are watching their games. ESPN would want that following tuning in over Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Shoot maybe even more than any school!

So you've set a subjective timeline of two years, conveniently ignoring the year rigjt before that where the Big 10 had a very good showing, as your benchmark for how much history should be taken into account when deciding present day competitors for a championship. You'll forgive me if that sounds like cherry picking convenient facts to tell the story you want told.

How many playoff wins does the Big 12 have? Why does that not equallly count when considering if Oklahoma gets in?

What about Notre Dame's last championship showing? Should that have been held against them this season?

What about all the games that take place outside of the CFP games? The Big 10 has had fairly decent bowl seasons while the SEC some disappointing ones. Those, subjectively, don't get to count either?

My opinion is the answer is a resounding no. It's the current seasons body of work. I have maintained for many weeks now that OSU did not deserve the 4th spot over a few other choices. But if your reasoning is because of something that happened last season, then this system is already broken. Whether or not the committee does something is different than asking if they should.

Sorry my brother. I was the Knucklehead that watched the entire Auburn-Purdue game. I went off the rail and had to vent. I came back to earth today. Carry on.

Sorry my brother. I was the Knucklehead that watched the entire Auburn-Purdue game. I went off the rail and had to vent. I came back to earth today. Carry on.

Welcome back.

The Purdue game, both Auburn and OSU was a joke. No idea how OSU blew that one. I suspect it's looking ahead or behind, which is a coaching issues not necessarily a talent one.

Welcome back.

The Purdue game, both Auburn and OSU was a joke. No idea how OSU blew that one. I suspect it's looking ahead or behind, which is a coaching issues not necessarily a talent one.

YOu think after doing the same thing last year against IOWA they wouldn't do it again this year but hey it still remains the same, OSU and the Big ten just aren't at the top of the food chain in CFB

Seems to me the guys really like Martell. He will probably transfer if Fields comes.

Is Fields going to be eligible immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.