Ohio Spring Sports Delayed Until May 1st

Spring Sports in Ohio will not be happening this yr. Might as well mark it down after the May 1st news today.

Just a question, and maybe a stupid question, Would the OHSAA allow these seniors to be given an extra year of participation like the NCAA? I know it's pretty extreme, but this is an extreme situation,similarity to WW2. Just a thought?

Just a question, and maybe a stupid question, Would the OHSAA allow these seniors to be given an extra year of participation like the NCAA? I know it's pretty extreme, but this is an extreme situation,similarity to WW2. Just a thought?
Um.
No.

No. If you were a current senior Spring Sports Athlete would you want to graduate and move on to college/Work or would you want to go to High School for almost another full school yr so you could participate in your Spring sport?

Covid does suck but I think almost all Seniors want to move on, Athlete or Non Athlete.

Agreed. I could almost see some kids wanting to stick around for football because they could stay one quarter and be done with school. Plus, there is no other football. With baseball, you have to stay the whole year and there are already plenty of other opportunities to play baseball.

Brainstormed options for baseball:
1) Cancel the season
2) if all clear given in May; begin play and run it through June or mid-July
3) grant Seniors who want it and extra year to play next year
4) allow for students who choose, to be held back a year and not have it counted against them.

Not saying that any, all or a combination would be done, but just throwing ideas against the wall. Feel free to add any others.

Tentative schedule just sent out by a local varsity baseball coach:

Acclimation Period: May 4-8
Season Begins: May 9
Tournament Draw: May 17
Sectional Tournament: May 23-30
District Tournament: June 1-6
Regional Tournament: June 11,12
State Tournament: June 19-21
Season Concludes: June 27

Tentative schedule just sent out by a local varsity baseball coach:

Acclimation Period: May 4-8
Season Begins: May 9
Tournament Draw: May 17
Sectional Tournament: May 23-30
District Tournament: June 1-6
Regional Tournament: June 11,12
State Tournament: June 19-21
Season Concludes: June 27

Information derived from Jerry Snodgrass' update to school administrators today.

Nice to provide hope with a timeline but unfortunately, it isn't happening. The decision to return to school needs to happen within 2-3 weeks. There isn't any way that this gets turned around that much to permit putting hundreds to thousands of people together in a building in the form of returning to school.

More power to the dreamers but many have said that when the stay at home order ends they don't want to end distancing right away. If they truly believe that why would they start in school classes immediately?

If Ohio schools get closed for remainder of school year, spring sports will be cancelled. If they resumed May 4, they have tentative dates in place.

Link to OHSAA announcement: https://ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/school-administrators-update-april-8

Pa just cancelled school for the rest of the academic yaer.

Dewine will not like being one upped here. Expect him to follow suit and up the ante and shut down public events through June.

That'll show Pa who is boss...

More power to the dreamers but many have said that when the stay at home order ends they don't want to end distancing right away. If they truly believe that why would they start in school classes immediately?
They won't.

Closing schools was one of the first steps taken. It will be one of the last ones re-instated. Restaurants and bars will re-open before schools.

Pa just cancelled school for the rest of the academic yaer.

Dewine will not like being one upped here. Expect him to follow suit and up the ante and shut down public events through June.

That'll show Pa who is boss...
I was not a supported of Governor DeWine before but I believe he has been a good leader during these tough times. Decisive yet prudent.