• Lamar Sperling

Votes: 65 50.4%
  • Connor Walendzak

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Mason Wolfe

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not to take anything away from the other finalist but you have Cj Hester a two way player a major threat on defense and a kid who has ran for almost 3k yards and 40+ Tds and y’all say the other guys are better he doesn’t rest!!!!! The other guys have other Div1 college players on there team, He faces a 8-9 man box every week and he’s not the best who else is doing that?

It is between Sperling and Marshall.

Sperling is very talented.
As talented as he is; Marshall is better.

I can see Sperling playing for a Mac School or somewhat better conference. Marshall, though only a junior, can already be seen as a man who will play for the likes of OSU, Michigan...

If the award is given to the best player, Marshall would win.

Not sure exactly what the ending criteria is for Mr. Football, but I would say the best all-around player on that list is Perrysburg‘s Connor Walendzak. I’m assuming the award usually goes to the kid with the best offensive stats and not necessarily best all-around player.

Kid was an absolute beast on both sides of the ball. Obviously every kid on this list is deserving but not sure any of them will probably be 1st or 2nd Team All State on offense and defense and in D1. Kid is special and I look forward to watching him at Toledo.

I’m sure it’s like this with most of the other kids but the stats were accumulated pretty much playing 2.5 quarters each week. Of his 13 games he only played the entire game in 5 of them.

227 car for 1678 yds
29 rec for 311 yds
29 TD’s

120 tackles
16 TFL
6.5 sacks
3 FF
1 Fumble recovery
1 INT

Not to take anything away from the other finalist but you have Cj Hester a two way player a major threat on defense and a kid who has ran for almost 3k yards and 40+ Tds and y’all say the other guys are better he doesn’t rest!!!!! The other guys have other Div1 college players on there team, He faces a 8-9 man box every week and he’s not the best who else is doing that?
Just curious… What were his stats on defense?

Just curious… What were his stats on defense?
Not exactly sure. Because he is needed so much on offense, he is used there a lot less than he was used there last year. That being said, he is a speedy "for sure" tackler. And a big hitter! I can easily see him being converted to a strong safety at the next level.

Danny Stoddard
Medina High School
5000+ yards Passing
58 td's 13 int's
Broke Drew Allars passing record!
Not a finalists?????
I had not heard of him prior to your post. Impressive numbers. I just watched some videos of him and I would suggest that at the very least he should have been on the last cut list.

He is good or better than good in all facets of the QB position. I would like to see him play in person before I say I am all in.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what the ending criteria is for Mr. Football, but I would say the best all-around player on that list is Perrysburg‘s Connor Walendzak. I’m assuming the award usually goes to the kid with the best offensive stats and not necessarily best all-around player.

Kid was an absolute beast on both sides of the ball. Obviously every kid on this list is deserving but not sure any of them will probably be 1st or 2nd Team All State on offense and defense and in D1. Kid is special and I look forward to watching him at Toledo.

I’m sure it’s like this with most of the other kids but the stats were accumulated pretty much playing 2.5 quarters each week. Of his 13 games he only played the entire game in 5 of them.

227 car for 1678 yds
29 rec for 311 yds
29 TD’s

120 tackles
16 TFL
6.5 sacks
3 FF
1 Fumble recovery
1 INT
A very good argument and he did receive my #2 vote. Number 1 went to CJ Hester of Wyoming. I thought Hester was the player I saw who caused the most turmoil for opposing defenses as far as game planning and execution was concerned. His 211+ yards per game rushing came on an average of 23 carries per game. 46 td's to boot. He did play some corner though the numbers did not come near Connor's but it did separate him IMO from the other rb's who I did not see play defense. Sperling got my 3rd vote. BTW Pburg fan, there is no true "criteria" for Mr. Football. Sportswriters who pay a small annual fee to be members of the OHSAA Ohio Prep Sportswriter's Association are offered the opportunity to cast a vote. Some do, some do not. But it is entirely opinion based and each is free to determine his own basis for casting votes to the best of their personal judgement. Nothing more, nothing less. Just an opinion vote. I am sure everyone has opinions about my choices as well as the others that voted, but I simply accept those that agree or disagree as part and parcel to the privilege of having a vote.

A very good argument and he did receive my #2 vote. Number 1 went to CJ Hester of Wyoming. I thought Hester was the player I saw who caused the most turmoil for opposing defenses as far as game planning and execution was concerned. His 211+ yards per game rushing came on an average of 23 carries per game. 46 td's to boot. He did play some corner though the numbers did not come near Connor's but it did separate him IMO from the other rb's who I did not see play defense. Sperling got my 3rd vote. BTW Pburg fan, there is no true "criteria" for Mr. Football. Sportswriters who pay a small annual fee to be members of the OHSAA Ohio Prep Sportswriter's Association are offered the opportunity to cast a vote. Some do, some do not. But it is entirely opinion based and each is free to determine his own basis for casting votes to the best of their personal judgement. Nothing more, nothing less. Just an opinion vote. I am sure everyone has opinions about my choices as well as the others that voted, but I simply accept those that agree or disagree as part and parcel to the privilege of having a vote.
That is awesome… Thank you very much for explaining. You obviously can’t go wrong with any of these kids. All very very very very good. Congrats to all the Finalists.

I can see Sperling playing for a Mac School or somewhat better conference. Marshall, though only a junior, can already be seen as a man who will play for the likes of OSU, Michigan...

Marshall could be the first to win mr football at 2 different schools. Moeller this year and West next year.

I agree with you, but since Marshall is a junior and Sperling has had such a fantastic season
statistically, I can see Sperling winning and Marshall picking up the award next season assuming he is healthy and doesn't miss a lot of games. Sperling set an OHSAA single season
rushing record against the Tigers. Around 3,700+ yards or somewhere in that range. And he still has the game with TCC to add to that record. Since the award is Ohio Mr. Football, not Ohio Mr. Football D1 Prospect, Sperling's numbers should make the difference.

Of course if Marshall wins, he'll have a shot at something similar to Griffin. Two awards in a row.

Last edited:
Sperling is VERY good. But that OL is incredible. He's barely touched most of the time until he's 8 yds down the field. Then his talent just makes it ridiculous.

Congrats to Sperling...

I'm not going to say anyone shouldn't have been on the list of finalist but I will say I'm Surpised Dru Deshields didn't make the final list his numbers were ridiculous while playing with a injured knee for 7 weeks of the season. Now on his way to Kent State to be a QB for the Golden Flashes.