Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Mason Wolfe

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

northwest07

Winner announced Thursday, December 1.

Darreon Fair, Cleveland Heights, 5-11, 175, sr., QB
The Northeast Lakes District Division I Offensive Player of the Year scored 40 total TDs and led the Tigers to a 9-1 record. He rushed for 1,318 yards and 29 TDs on 116 attempts and threw for 644 yards and 11 TDs on 41-of-75 passing.

CJ Hester, Wyoming, 5-11, 190, SR, RB/DB
Three-time Southwest District Division IV Offensive Player of the Year carried the ball 228 times for 2,081 yards (9.1 yards per carry) and 33 TDs in the regular season as the Cowboys finished undefeated and No. 2 in the final AP Poll. Currently has 2,967 yards and 46 TDs on 331 carries for a top-seeded D-IV state semifinalist. Among the school records he set this year were most rushing yards in a game (351), most rushing TDs in a game (7) and most points scored in a game (42). The Western Michigan recruit has rushed for 6,951 yards in his career and has 110 total TDs.

Diore Hubbard, Gahanna Lincoln, 5-11, 185, jr., RB.
Through 14 games the Central District Division I Offensive Player of the Year has rushed for 2,306 yards on 309 carries (7.5 average), has 287 yards receiving on 22 receptions and has 29 total TDs for a top-seeded Division I state semifinalist.

Jordan Marshall, Moeller, 5-11 200, jr., RB
Carried the ball 161 times for 1,290 yards (7.9 yds per carry) and 20 TDs and caught 16 passes for 278 yards and four TDs in the regular season. Currently has 1,796 yards and 27 TDs on 217 carries for a top-seeded Division I state semifinalist. Named GCL South Player of the Year and Southwest District Division I Offensive Player of the Year. Four-star recruit and one of the country’s Top 10 junior running back prospects according to 247sports.com.

Lamar Sperling, Akron Archbishop Hoban, 5-10, 190, sr., RB
The Northeast Inland District Division II Offensive Player of the Year has logged 339 carries, 3,348 rushing yards and 51 rushing touchdowns in 14 games. The Buffalo recruit ran for 2,934 yards and 41 TDs in 16 games last year.

Connor Walendzak, Perrysburg, 5-11, 195, sr., RB
Toledo recruit and Northwest District Division I Offensive Player of the Year ran 166 times for 1,320 yards and 18 touchdowns in the regular season. Also finished with 102 tackles (14.5 for loss), 3.5 sacks, one interception and three forced fumbles. Was named Northern Lakes League Player of the Year and first team at running back and linebacker. Selected All-Ohio first team running back in 2020 and second team in 2021.

Mason Wolfe, Millersburg West Holmes, 6-3, 190, sr., QB
The East District Division IV Offensive Player of the Year completed 137-of-195 passes (70.3% completion) for 2,511 yards, 34 TDs and only 2 INTs. Added another three rushing TDs for the Knights who finished the regular season 10-0 and ranked No. 3 in Division IV state poll. Directed an offense that averaged 51 ppg.

Ohio Mr. Football Winners (including college choice):
1987: Buster Howe, RB-DB-K-P, Zanesville, Ohio State
1988: Robert Smith, RB, Euclid, Ohio State
1989: Robert Smith, RB, Euclid, Ohio State
1990: Bobby Hoying, QB, St. Henry, Ohio State
1991: Derek Kidwell, QB-DE, Fostoria, Bowling Green
1992: Marc Edwards, RB-LB, Norwood, Notre Dame
1993: Curtis Enis, RB-LB, Mississinawa Valley, Penn State
1994: Charles Woodson, DB-RB, Fremont Ross, Michigan
1995: Andy Katzenmoyer, LB, Westerville South, Ohio State
1996: Derek Combs, RB-DB-KR, Grove City, Ohio State
1997: Tony Fisher, RB, Euclid, Notre Dame
1998: Ryan Brewer, RB, Troy, South Carolina
1999: Bam Childress, DB-WR-KR, Bedford St. Peter Chanel, Ohio State
2000: Jeff Backes, RB-DB, Upper Arlington, Northwestern
2001: Maurice Clarett, RB, Warren G. Harding, Ohio State
2002: Ben Mauk, QB, Kenton, Wake Forest/Cincinnati
2003: Ray Williams, RB, Cleveland Benedictine, West Virginia
2004: Tyrell Sutton, RB, Archbishop Hoban, Northwestern
2005: Delone Carter, RB, Copley, Syracuse
2006: Brandon Saine, RB, Piqua, Ohio State
2007: Bart Tanski, QB, Mentor, Bowling Green
2008: Erick Howard, RB, North Canton Hoover, Akron
2009: Erick Howard, RB, North Canton Hoover, Akron
2010: Akise Teague, RB-DB-KR, Youngstown Ursuline, Cincinnati
2011: Maty Mauk, QB, Kenton, Missouri/Eastern Kentucky
2012: Mitch Trubisky, QB, Mentor, North Carolina
2013: Dante Booker Jr., LB, Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary, Ohio State
2014: Joe Burrow, QB, Athens, Ohio State, Louisiana State
2015: Keishaun Sims, RB-DB, Massillon Perry, Ashland University
2016: Michael Warren, RB, Toledo Central Catholic, University of Cincinnati
2017: Joey Baughman, QB, Wadsworth, Elon University
2018: Cade Stover, SS-RB, Lexington, Ohio State University
2019: Evan Prater, QB, Cincinnati Wyoming, University of Cincinnati
2020: Corey Kiner, RB, Cincinnati Roger Bacon, Louisiana State
2021: Drew Allar, QB, Medina, Penn State

Last edited:

The finalists have been announced. Winner will be announced Thursday, December 1st:

Darreon Fair, Cleveland Heights, 5-11, 175, sr., QB
CJ Hester, Wyoming, 5-11, 190, SR, RB/DB
Diore Hubbard, Gahanna Lincoln, 5-11, 185, jr., RB.
Jordan Marshall, Moeller, 5-11 200, jr., RB
Lamar Sperling, Akron Archbishop Hoban, 5-10, 190, sr., RB
Connor Walendzak, Perrysburg, 5-11, 195, sr., RB
Mason Wolfe, Millersburg West Holmes, 6-3, 190, sr., QB
I write in Will Kocher!

If you watched Van Wert vs West Holmes (which Van Wert won 40-35) and your takeaway was Mason Wolfe was better than Aidan Pratt (who has 5 rushing and 1 passing TD) then you should get your eyes checked. Pratt had better stats all year while playing DE. Just shows the media doesn’t actually watch games or follow teams.

Sperling will probably win it. But a name that has no chance but does have the stats is the Medina Qb (Danny Stoddard). He broke all of Drew Allars season stats this season. They are unreal and most of the time he only played 1/2 - 3/4 of games. They would be even more impressive if he played full games. With the stats he put up, not sure why he isn't in the conversation. It is a season award. His season stats really are impressive. And he played at the D1 level. I would love to see stats for someone better.
Passing: 5035 yards. 387 YPG. 58 passing TD's. Rushing: 692 yards. 4.6 YPC. 12 TD's .
Total: 5700 yards and 70 TD's. = in the conversation for Mr. Ohio.

Last edited:
If you watched Van Wert vs West Holmes (which Van Wert won 40-35) and your takeaway was Mason Wolfe was better than Aidan Pratt (who has 5 rushing and 1 passing TD) then you should get your eyes checked. Pratt had better stats all year while playing DE. Just shows the media doesn’t actually watch games or follow teams.
Might want to build a boat because all of those tears

What losers on here to tear down any kid’s accomplishments. Also what ignorance not understanding how the voting works. Each district gets a nominee for Mr. Football.
I’d redirect that classless ripping of a high school student at your local district’s journalists because that is who did or didn’t put up a player for the award.

What losers on here to tear down any kid’s accomplishments. Also what ignorance not understanding how the voting works. Each district gets a nominee for Mr. Football.
I’d redirect that classless ripping of a high school student at your local district’s journalists because that is who did or didn’t put up a player for the award.
Where is this coming from? I reread the thread, I don't see that happening.

I can’t imagine a better high school player than Jordan Marshall. They didn’t run up his stats to win awards but at the next level he will prove he is deserving. Not that any others aren’t but watch the kid, he’s different

The best RB is Jordan Marshall but Sperling will win.

Hoban's coach was hell-bent on getting him stats this year. Case in point: vs SVSM and at least one other time the game was over but instead of taking a knee, they chose to run Sperling and get junk time TDs. Another point was last week. Moeller had the game in hand and took Marshall out for the 2nd half to preserve him. Hoban kept Sperling in the whole game so he could pad his stats. That happened in many games this year as well.

He's an impressive player, but the stats aren't an apples to apples comparison.

Hoban's coach was hell-bent on getting him stats this year. Case in point: vs SVSM and at least one other time the game was over but instead of taking a knee, they chose to run Sperling and get junk time TDs. Another point was last week. Moeller had the game in hand and took Marshall out for the 2nd half to preserve him. Hoban kept Sperling in the whole game so he could pad his stats. That happened in many games this year as well.

FYI just for accuracy, Moeller didn't take Marshall out just because. It's been well documented that he had a concussion and was taken out for medical reasons. Otherwise, he would have still been in. Everything else you said is probably accurate though.

FYI just for accuracy, Moeller didn't take Marshall out just because. It's been well documented that he had a concussion and was taken out for medical reasons. Otherwise, he would have still been in. Everything else you said is probably accurate though.
That’s just the last game… see how few snaps he played in the 4th quarter this year.

Sperling wins. Fair was impressive in person, but, competition level not same. Can't get worst announcer ever saying "it's not Fair" out of my head.

Shocked Kilbane not on list. In my opinion he is best player in state.

I have a vote in this. Not sure if I am allowed to reveal it here. I will check on Monday and reveal it if I am allowed. I will say this. In considering my vote, I do not care one bit how a young man projects at the next level. I cast my vote based only on his 2022 performance to date. I have seen each of these young men in person or on tape for at least 2 games each and most 3 or more. I am honored to have a vote and take the privilege seriously.

Sperling wins. Fair was impressive in person, but, competition level not same. Can't get worst announcer ever saying "it's not Fair" out of my head.

Shocked Kilbane not on list. In my opinion he is best player in state.
Agree on Sperling.

But I also agree on Kilbane. I said a year ago that he was the best player in Ohio at any position, and he's only gotten better this year. He 's the reason they do crazy things like shut out Moeller and Mentor, and are the defending state champs. He makes everyone around him better, commanding a double-team at all times. 16.5 sacks last year, 16 already this year despite the double-team. He should be the consensus Defensive Player of the Year, but.his teammate Wyatt Gedeon may get it because of Kilbane.

I have a vote in this. Not sure if I am allowed to reveal it here. I will check on Monday and reveal it if I am allowed. I will say this. In considering my vote, I do not care one bit how a young man projects at the next level. I cast my vote based only on his 2022 performance to date. I have seen each of these young men in person or on tape for at least 2 games each and most 3 or more. I am honored to have a vote and take the privilege seriously.
I agree with your logic. It should be based on this HS season only. Not the past, and not the projected future. Need more people on committees that feel the same way. (y)

Both outstanding RB’s and it’s clear why Marshall is the better college prospect, but having seen both against my Eagles, Sperling was the more impressive of the two (or at least seemed to give a great St. Edward defense more problems). I think he’s very deserving of the award this year.