Ohio Mr. Basketball 20-21

I hope Mentor's Luke Chicone gets serious consideration. His team is undefeated, possible #1 ranked in Division I. Chicone's stats are very good (23.7 ppg) and he is headed to Youngstown State on scholarship. The right combination of individual and team accomplishments. He should be the DI Northeast Lakes POY. In DII, it will be between Buchtel's Chris Livingston and SVSM's Malaki Branham.

No I’m o
I hope Mentor's Luke Chicone gets serious consideration. His team is undefeated, possible #1 ranked in Division I. Chicone's stats are very good (23.7 ppg) and he is headed to Youngstown State on scholarship. The right combination of individual and team accomplishments. He should be the DI Northeast Lakes POY. In DII, it will be between Buchtel's Chris Livingston and SVSM's Malaki Branham.
Kobe Rodgers

Can't speak for other parts of the state. Yes, Mangas is legit contender. A J Braun Fenwick new all time leading rebounder and shot blocker in GCL Co Ed. Averaging 19 pts 11 Reb 2 blocks per game. Over 1000 points and 600 rebounds

Mangus, D2 player of the year last year. Done nothing but cement his dominance this year. His school team, I think I heard, has lost 5 games total since 7th grade.

No I’m o

Kobe Rodgers
You have a valid argument. Best player in the best conference in the state. Competes on both ends of the floor. First in scoring and steals; second in rebounding and assists in the GCL, which has three of the top D1 schools in the state.

You have a valid argument. Best player in the best conference in the state. Competes on both ends of the floor. First in scoring and steals; second in rebounding and assists in the GCL, which has three of the top D1 schools in the state.
The only thing hurting him is that he really came on late this season, but I don't think anyone is playing better right now than he is.

I say give it to Mangas as well. I can't imagine anybody has had a better year than him statistically. Plus, it's cool to have a kid like him win it. Too often do the journalists give to the big names going big time and forget that these small town kids have just as much right to the award. It'll be neat to give it to a kid like Mangas, even if he ends up going D3 or D2.

I say give it to Mangas as well. I can't imagine anybody has had a better year than him statistically. Plus, it's cool to have a kid like him win it. Too often do the journalists give to the big names going big time and forget that these small town kids have just as much right to the award. It'll be neat to give it to a kid like Mangas, even if he ends up going D3 or D2.
Kobe Rodgers is going to D2 nova southeastern. It’s a win-win either way!

I would guess Chris Livingston will be. 32ppg and 15.8rpg. Mangas and Branham will be in the mix.

Yep, my guess is that is exactly what will happen too. Livingston dude will be helped out by the big city media in the northeast and Lebron giving him the endorsement on Twitter.

Yep, my guess is that is exactly what will happen too. Livingston dude will be helped out by the big city media in the northeast and Lebron giving him the endorsement on Twitter.
Unfortunately that is how it works sometimes. The kids around the big city medias get more coverage. I personally think Mangas is having an amazing year and is just as deserving.

Need to wait till the champs are crowned to see how far these players carry their teams,just my two cents.

Unfortunately that is how it works sometimes. The kids around the big city medias get more coverage. I personally think Mangas is having an amazing year and is just as deserving.

In all fairness the Lima, Ohio area has faired pretty well when it comes to Mr. Basketball.

Or, if he wins could it simply be that Chris Livingston is the best player in Ohio? Btw, you realize that only one Northeast Ohio player has won this award in the past 16 years.

Being from Lima myself when it comes to Mr. Basketball we recognize that we are not left out of the discussion haha.

Yeah, this is just my opinion, but I think Lima is actually boosted because it's not in a metro area and they always seem to have a player worthy of the discussion so that player consolidates much of vote in the Northwest part of the state. The situation in Northeast Ohio may actually play out like it has almost every year since LeBron (nobody can argue that he didn't deserve his three) where there is going to be votes split in all different directions. Luke Chicone will win NE Lakes D1 POY and will get a ton of votes from Cleveland area, but I bet Lutheran East's Jalin Billingsley (Georgetown commit), who will be the D3 Lakes POY, will get some votes as well.

Livingston will probably get D2 Inland POY (over Branham), but my guess is Koby Johnson of Canton McKinley beats out Medina's Corey Tripp for D1 Inland POY. Johnson will get the Stark County vote, which would take away from Livingston. Then the Youngstown vote will probably go to whatever local kid there wins a POY award. So, the votes in this part are going to be going to be spread around. Plus, there is the possibility of Livingston and Branham getting co-POY in their district, which would spread it around even more.

Anyway, if Livingston (or Chicone) wins it, it will probably be due to locking up votes from around other parts of the state. Livingston, being that he is a 5-star and the highest rated prospect in the state (in any class), could pick up enough of those to win.

Last edited:
Chris Livingston
Or, hear me out, it could be because he's the best player in the state. (And it's not really close)

I stand by what I said both are elite but Bates has NBA ready jumper and Livingston doesn't yet. Bates is closer to Holmgren for best player in high school than he is to best in class over Chris currently. He has another year to prove me wrong. and that clip was two years ago I have seen them both in person couple times. I think depending on where they pick there next step whether G League or High Major will determine alot of their development

Besides that discussion Chris is the best player in Ohio regardless of class. He will lose to Branham I think the lean will be because of the Ohio St Commit. After that it is Chicone and Mangas