Ohio Mr. Basketball 20-21

Pile Driver

I hope Mentor's Luke Chicone gets serious consideration. His team is undefeated, possible #1 ranked in Division I. Chicone's stats are very good (23.7 ppg) and he is headed to Youngstown State on scholarship. The right combination of individual and team accomplishments. He should be the DI Northeast Lakes POY. In DII, it will be between Buchtel's Chris Livingston and SVSM's Malaki Branham.
After last night’s game...I’m a believer!!! That kid is special.

Curious One

Malachi Branham will win as anOSU signee. His former teammate Seth Wilson ofLorain a WVU commit, also deserves consideraction.

Irish60

Unfortunately that is how it works sometimes. The kids around the big city medias get more coverage. I personally think Mangas is having an amazing year and is just as deserving.
If it were between Mangas and Branham I think it would be a coin flip and you couldn't go wrong with either selection. Mangas has the better stats, Branham has played the better competition. Either would be deserving. But Chris Livingston is simply the best player in the State and arguably the best HS player in the country.

Irish60

Malachi Branham will win as anOSU signee. His former teammate Seth Wilson ofLorain a WVU commit, also deserves consideraction.
Seth is a tremendous player and a fine young man. I really enjoyed watching him play when he was at STVM. With his strength, he is going to thrive in Bob Huggins system. The addition of him, along with Kobe Johnson, will give the Mountaineers one of the best recruiting classes in the country.

Insane92

If it were between Mangas and Branham I think it would be a coin flip and you couldn't go wrong with either selection. Mangas has the better stats, Branham has played the better competition. Either would be deserving. But Chris Livingston is simply the best player in the State and arguably the best HS player in the country.
Counter point, does the best player or the player with the best season get Mr. Basketball? There's been player with great seasons but not the best player win Mr. Basketball in the past. Still really like Livingston but just want to bring up a counter point for you.

Irish60

Counter point, does the best player or the player with the best season get Mr. Basketball? There's been player with great seasons but not the best player win Mr. Basketball in the past. Still really like Livingston but just want to bring up a counter point for you.
The vote could go any way. Branham and Livingston could split the NEO vote. Some voters could discount Livingston because of Buchtel's schedule or because they figure he'll get it next year for sure. Or there could be some petulant backlash against him because he has switched schools. Who knows. But if you are considering the best HS player in Ohio (really, regardless of division), there is Chris Livingston, and then there is everyone else. (And I am a huge Malaki Branham fan! IMO he's the best STVM player since LeBron)

Last edited:

Localfan

Livingston is the best player with the highest ceiling. From what I noticed voters don't really vote IN favor of STVM guys

Insane92

The vote could go any way. Branham and Livingston could split the NEO vote. Some voters could discount Livingston because of Buchtel's schedule or because they figure he'll get it next year for sure. Or there could be some petulant backlash against him because he has switched schools. Who knows. But if you are considering the best HS player in Ohio (really, regardless of division), there is Chris Livingston, and then there is everyone else. (And I am a huge Malaki Branham fan! IMO he's the best STVM player since LeBron)
I understand all that and agree they are both very very good but you didn't answer my question. If the best player in the state based on ratings and such has not that great of a season does he still deserve Mr. Basketball? According to you, he does. For example, Justin Fritts in 2012 won and went to a D2 college. I considered Samaj Christon and Kenny Kaminki much much better players and they were rated higher by 247 too. That is what I'm trying to argue with. I absolutely think it will be Manga, Branham, and Livingston in some order when it's all said and done though but wanted to bring up past examples.

Last edited:

MentorGrad2002

I understand all that and agree they are both very very good but you didn't answer my question. If the best player in the state based on ratings and such has not that great of a season does he still deserve Mr. Basketball? According to you, he does. For example, Justin Fritts in 2012 won and went to a D2 school. I considered Samaj Christon and Kenny Kaminki much much better players and they were rated higher by 247 too. That is what I'm trying to argue with. I absolutely think it will be Manga, Branham, and Livingston in some order when it's all said and done though but wanted to bring up past examples.
Justin Fritts went to Mentor who is obviously D1 😂

MentorGrad2002

He attended Wheeling Jesuit which is a D2 school. Edited comment just for you.
I don't think that has mattered overall. Plenty of non d1 guys have one. Our QB tanski didn't go d1 in football and won there too. It could be a tiebreaker but really the award shouldn't be about recruiting rankings

Insane92

I don't think that has mattered overall. Plenty of non d1 guys have one. Our QB tanski didn't go d1 in football and won there too. It could be a tiebreaker but really the award shouldn't be about recruiting rankings
And that was what I was arguing is it's about the best season not just because the guy is deemed the highest rated recruit.

Irish60

I understand all that and agree they are both very very good but you didn't answer my question. If the best player in the state based on ratings and such has not that great of a season does he still deserve Mr. Basketball? According to you, he does. For example, Justin Fritts in 2012 won and went to a D2 school. I considered Samaj Christon and Kenny Kaminki much much better players and they were rated higher by 247 too. That is what I'm trying to argue with. I absolutely think it will be Manga, Branham, and Livingston in some order when it's all said and done though but wanted to bring up past examples.
IMO the award should go to who had the best year, not who has the most upside. Both Mangas and Livingston averaged 30+ points per game, I believe. Branham hasn't put up quite those kind of numbers; but that's because (1) he has faced a stronger schedule than the other two, and (2) he likely has more fire power on the court with him, so he isn't relied upon to score as much. All three are defensive presences, although I think Branham is better suited at the top of the press than is Livingston. I think Livingston plays there as much out of necessity than design. I would guess Mangas has better rebounding statistics, but I'm not sure about that. And when was the last time a guy won POY because he dominated the boards! So who had the better year? All three teams had successful seasons. IMO the Irish had by far the toughest schedule compared to Buchtel and Shawnee, but you can only play who is next up, so I don't necessarily hold that against either Livingston or Mangas. If you talk about the politics of it all, maybe Branham gets votes from Central Ohio because he is going to OSU. Maybe Mangas gets some "small town" votes. Maybe Branham loses votes because he is from a private school; and from STVM, to boot! Maybe Mangas loses votes because he may go D2 while Branham is going to OSU and Livingston is going to the NBA! If I had a vote, I'd give it to the guy who had the best year. And IMO, that would be Chris Livingston.

Insane92

IMO the award should go to who had the best year, not who has the most upside. Both Mangas and Livingston averaged 30+ points per game, I believe. Branham hasn't put up quite those kind of numbers; but that's because (1) he has faced a stronger schedule than the other two, and (2) he likely has more fire power on the court with him, so he isn't relied upon to score as much. All three are defensive presences, although I think Branham is better suited at the top of the press than is Livingston. I think Livingston plays there as much out of necessity than design. I would guess Mangas has better rebounding statistics, but I'm not sure about that. And when was the last time a guy won POY because he dominated the boards! So who had the better year? All three teams had successful seasons. IMO the Irish had by far the toughest schedule compared to Buchtel and Shawnee, but you can only play who is next up, so I don't necessarily hold that against either Livingston or Mangas. If you talk about the politics of it all, maybe Branham gets votes from Central Ohio because he is going to OSU. Maybe Mangas gets some "small town" votes. Maybe Branham loses votes because he is from a private school; and from STVM, to boot! Maybe Mangas loses votes because he may go D2 while Branham is going to OSU and Livingston is going to the NBA! If I had a vote, I'd give it to the guy who had the best year. And IMO, that would be Chris Livingston.
I was arguing the same thing going off of our first sentence. Thought you thought of it the other way. Definitely good points the rest of the way down you post. Can't wait to see how close it is once its voted on.

SVillegrad

Isn't Mr. Basketball like Mr. Football where you have to win your district POY award to be eligible? If so, Livingston and Branham are both in the D2 Inland district. Unless, they share the POY award (which could happen) won't one be eliminated?

I doubt Livingston gets knocked for the schedule (Buchtel played a tremendous non City Series schedule) or for changing schools because he simply went back to his home school after one year at WRA (hardly a destination school for an athlete of his caliber... and shows his academic acumen if anything).

Chongo

Missed 4 games.
Seth missed 4 games with a thumb injury, then the team was in a covid quarantine for the final 3 weeks of the season. also started the season late so only played in 13 games total so far. Seth only played in 9. averaging 23.1 ppg.

Irish60

A very interesting matchup between two of the top D2 teams and two of the top D2 POY candidates when Buchtel and Shawnee square off next. I'm not sure how often Mangas and Livingston will directly matchup during the game, but it will be an interesting "game within the game" in what should prove to be a very entertaining game. Then, whichever team advances, will get to matchup with the Irish and Malaki Branham. So, a lot of the D2 POY conversation will be addressed on the court in the coming days. And that's the way it should be!!!

BigLex

When will the AP announce? That's the one everyone puts the most stock in as far as All Ohio teams and Mr. Basketball . I went looking in Thursday night and found nothing. Usually that's the last day they announce the teams of D1 and Mr. Ohio

StarstoShine

Branham 37 point performance in the D2 State Title game made his final statement to whom should be Mr Basketball for the 20-21 season. Look for 6-7 Chris Livingston (Buchtel) and STVM 6-4 Sencire Harris and 6-2 Raymar Pryor to make a case in 21-22.

ohiopup

PREDICTION - NOT OFFICIAL - ALL OHIO

Usually POY's from each District are named to1st team...

D-I
1st Team...
Sean Craig, Sylvania Northview
A.J. Adams, Findlay
Kobe Rodgers, Cincinnati St. Xavier
Tasos Cook (Westerville Central)
Kobe Johnson, Canton McKinley
Corey Tripp, Medina
Luke Chicone (Mentor)
+
Gabe Cupps, Centerville
Alex Williams, Moeller

POY ? toss-up ( based on tournament / since released post tournament )
Cupps or Cook

End of Prediction

==================

District POY's
-----
NW:
Co-Player of the Year: Sean Craig, Sylvania Northview
Co-Player of the Year: A.J. Adams, Findlay
Coach of the Year: Jim Rucki, Findlay
-----
SW:
Player of the Year: Kobe Rodgers, Cincinnati St. Xavier
Coach of the Year: Michael Noszka, Cincinnati St. Xavier
-----
SE:
So few D-1 schools so selections are usually included in Central district
-----
Central:
Player of the year: Tasos Cook (Westerville Central)
Coach of the year: Tom Souder (Worthington Kilbourne)
-----
East:
So few D-1 schools so selections are usually included in Central or NEO Inland district
-----
NEO Inland:
Co-Player of the Year: Kobe Johnson, Canton McKinley
Co-Player of the Year: Corey Tripp, Medina
Coach of the Year: Mike Bluey, North Canton
-----
NEO LAKES:
POY: Luke Chicone (Mentor)
COY: Bob Krizancic (Mentor)
-----

:>---

75Y+6M