Ohio High School State Golf Tournament 2006

Bucknut2010

Alright, even though some of the district tournaments haven't been completed yet, what teams/individuals are in the hunt for the 2006 Ohio High School State Golf Tournament Championship??

From the Southwest District:

Qualifiers
1. Centerville
2. Moeller
3. St. Xavier

I dont know any scores but Centerville beat moe by 2 i think and moe beat x by 1

From the Northeast District:

Mentor 316
Medina 318
Stow 319
St. Edward 320

Very tough playing conditions, cold and windy.

what the heck?? 4 teams w/ scores that high?? in the southwest district the conditions were the same w/ lots of wind and the scores werent nearly that high... we had 6 or 7 teams under the winner in the northeast district

I agree is bullsh*t that the NE Distric gets four spots since the spots are based solely on population of the area. In the last four years a team from outside the Central or Southwest District has only finished in the Top 5 at State 3 times. All of the remaining 17 teams that have finished in the Top 5 have been from either the Southwest District or the Central District. In my opinion they should develop some sort of system that determines the amount of spots for each district based on the strength of teams in the area for that season. I don't know if you necessarily give the Southwest as many as the Central, but I would like to see the Central get at least four (you had to shoot 301 to make it out as a team this year). The facts just show that historically speaking the teams from the Northeast have not had as much success at the tournament despite have more teams.

For anybody else who was there yesterday, did you see the shot on 18 from the fairway bunker to like 2 feet? I think it was by a Centerville kid. One of the best shots I've ever seen. The course looked amazing. It was a bit cold, but not too windy. I expected the scores to be a little better, but they were still pretty good. I just wish St. X could've done a little better. Still, 8th isn't too shaby.

I'm sure any one of the 100+ teams who finished behind us would've like an 8th at state. I'm not saying it's good, but it's not terrible.

WestSide, I think the course plays a lot harder than it looks beacause it is nearly impossible to make any birdies. Bo Hoag (the individual champion) only made two birdies in two rounds.

I played in state and I agree 100% with cincygolfer. The course was just hard to make birdies on. The par 5s, all of which were set up over 540 yards, demanded four very good shots to make birdie. The bunkers were so deep and so well-positioned that any poorly hit drive was behind trees or in a bunker. I personally putted great both days, but didn't think that the greens let many balls into the hole. I was very impressed with how good the greens were after the renovations last year, but they need another year to get back to how they were two years ago. I could see the course being a totally different track in the summer, but over the past weekend, it played LONG. Especially the first day, the course was soaked and it was coldd. I had 5 iron to 3 wood into the par fours on probably 80% of the holes. Number 14 was just unfair, set up at 475 yards and playing into the wind both days. As a total, the players in the state tournament played that hole in 163 strokes over par which means that the average score was between bogey and double. I think that they wanted to show how difficult the new Scarlet Course really was. Saying that they set the course up at 6700 yards was the most BS I have ever heard. Besides a couple of the par 3s, we played either at the black tee markers or behind them and the course is something like 7100 yards from those tees. I think that if it wasn't so wet, it would be a great course to show who the best in the state really are.

While, I agree with you madden about how difficult the course was I do have to disagree with your last statement. I think that setting up the course the hardest brings the better players and teams to the top and doesn't allow for some chop to career it like they can at sectionals or districts, or any other tournament during the year for that matter. Let's be honest here the best player in the state won as an individual. And the best three teams finished in the top three. Did a few kids (Sam Jandel, Aaroin Siekman) surprise people by finishing in the top five, yes, but at the same time it wasn't as though the did something totally unexpected from them based on their capability. Three of the top five finishers were expected to play at the level in which they did (Hoag, Murphy, Kurt Harris). The best player in Cincinnati this year performed the best out of the Cincinnati individuals T11 (Mark Reinhold), and the second best T17(Chris Burger) did the second best. And in my opinion the best all around team in cincinnati did the best at state as well. The hardest part of Scarlet from my observation is the fact that you have to hit three really good shots just to make a par where at most courses three really good shots equals a birdie. The greens are so well contoured that you aren't going to make many long par or birdie putts. Also the shortest birdie putt your going to get is about 15-20ft which the pros statistically only make 10% of.

Your right umblagada, but he probably was the second or third best at the tournament from Cincinnati. Also, I wouldn't quite say that he was far from the second best.

Great to see my Eagles take 4th in the state last weekend. The golf team has been working hard over the past several years to develop the program and they have tried to play the better teams. There is good talent in the program and I would think they could make a return trip next year.

madden2005 said:
I played in state and I agree 100% with cincygolfer. The course was just hard to make birdies on. The par 5s, all of which were set up over 540 yards, demanded four very good shots to make birdie. The bunkers were so deep and so well-positioned that any poorly hit drive was behind trees or in a bunker. I personally putted great both days, but didn't think that the greens let many balls into the hole. I was very impressed with how good the greens were after the renovations last year, but they need another year to get back to how they were two years ago. I could see the course being a totally different track in the summer, but over the past weekend, it played LONG. Especially the first day, the course was soaked and it was coldd. I had 5 iron to 3 wood into the par fours on probably 80% of the holes. Number 14 was just unfair, set up at 475 yards and playing into the wind both days. As a total, the players in the state tournament played that hole in 163 strokes over par which means that the average score was between bogey and double. I think that they wanted to show how difficult the new Scarlet Course really was. Saying that they set the course up at 6700 yards was the most BS I have ever heard. Besides a couple of the par 3s, we played either at the black tee markers or behind them and the course is something like 7100 yards from those tees. I think that if it wasn't so wet, it would be a great course to show who the best in the state really are.

Madden, the harder course should bring out the better players and should seperate the men from the boys. This is a point that you have made in other threads, dont contradict yourself now. Just remember, everyone had to play the same course. Maybe you guys (St. X) werent as good as you all thought you were. IN my opinion this was a down year for cincinnati high school golf as a whole.

you are taking what i said wrong. i think that state should be played on a tough track to allow the best team to win, but with the course playing around 7400 yards it seemed, with tucked pins, i thought the course may have been set up a little bit too tough. thats just my opinion though. i think it would be a great course for state played at a true 6800 or 6900 yards

i always thought state was supposed to be set at 6850. this year though, it seemed like the front 9 was playing 6850. the best individual won state, and definately one of the top 2 teams in ohio won the team title (Jerome was pretty deep also with their 5 man finishing runner up medalist) but i dont think st x was the 8th best team in the state this year. st x just didnt have anybody who hits the ball really long, and its hard to shoot a low number when you are hitting rescues and 4 irons into tucked pins on hard greens. for next year though, st x will add some longer hitters in possibly jimmy ionna, alex florez, or colin crane, which we learned this year are a must at state with the course being set up so long.

i think the tournament was set up so long this year to try to emphasize the toughness of the new course so next year's state tourney might be set up nearer to 6900

Congratulations to Upper Arlington on their 38th team OHSAA title overall. That breaks the all-time record tie with St. Xavier and puts UA in 1st place all time!

bombers24 said:
i think the tournament was set up so long this year to try to emphasize the toughness of the new course so next year's state tourney might be set up nearer to 6900

I agree. Having scarlet set up at 7150 or whatever they had it this year is rediculous considering the cold temperature, hard greens, soft fairways and all the pressure. 6900 would make it a little easier, yet still providing a very difficult test of golf....Just wondering, was the division II state set up at the same yardage as division 1??? I thought I heard someone say DII was the same yardage, but that just doesn't sound right.

Yea I was at the Division II State Tourney and from what I have heard, the yardage was pretty much the same. They played between the black and the new Buckeye tees. It was also cold, windy and rainy not only the days of the tournament but the couple days prior to the start.

quit slammin division two....u go down to the scarlet and (2nd days conditions) ok here it goes it 9 in the morning, 40 degrees, 40 mph winds with 50 mph gusts, it was wet so no roll at all, and the greens were hard as a rock with RIDICULOUS pin placements especially on 18 right behind that bunker.....i doubled 18 for a 79 on the last day 42-37....it was ridiculous.....if u wanna slam a division slam div. 3 cuz they played a 6000 yard course that is straight away and flat greens and barely any bunkers on the course compared to scarlet but still divisions 2 and 3 are strong and in golf division dont matter cuz most div 2 and 3 kids can compete with div. 1 kids not teams though.....but yeah thats my two sense