Ohio Heritage Conference 2020

Brutus - What game(s) do you think WJ has “chocked” in over the last 10 years or so? Yes, they played poor tonight and barely beat a 2-5 team but over the years when have they lost a game(s) that they should have won?
A few of the games against coldwater and Marion local. There are a few others but nothing comes to mind. I have watched this program since the early 70’s and they have always beaten those they should have beaten with the exception of the loss to north union 1988, senior class of 89. That one stands out because I left with dad with my jaw dropped to the floor and dad called it. They looked ahead to Columbus academy and lost that one too.

Wow......well I would wait for the results before saying things like my knowledge is limited. West Jeff is a decent team but after watching their game against Fairbanks they are finesse. Which is crazy to say with WJ always being known as a tough hard nosed team in the past. I wandered how Triad an extremely undersized team with minimal depth held WJ to only 26 points. The Fairbanks game showed me everything I needed to know. West Jeff wanted to throw as much as possible. While they have a good QB and some pretty good receivers they have to have some sort of constant ground game to beat teams that can minimize their air attack. A team like Anna will be good enough to force them to run the ball and I am not sure they will choose to even if they have opportunity. They seem to really want to throw no matter what. Against Triad their first thought should have been to run the ball with their physical advantage instead they threw the ball which kept Triad in the game because Triad does have a few athletes on the outside that can defend the pass. Also WJ was giving up 6-7 yards a carry to Fairbanks as well. They were fortunate the FHS staff didn't stick with the run game. Again a team with good coaching like Anna will continue to run. Is West Jeff talented enough to win games like Anna? Sure...but they need to get tougher and put more infuses on the run game. You can beat the Triads and Fairbanks's of the world playing back yard football but if you don't have an unstoppable QB teams that are physical that tackle well and play mistake free football like MAC schools will beat you every time. Also if WJ would win that game they should get all the credit in the world. MAC schools are not super heroes they just do the little things and refuse to beat themselves. A win over any group that operates that way is always a feather in the cap.
Well congrats to the Riders. With that said I was insulted on here like I didn't have a clue because I gave Anna a great chance to win. Looks like a I had a little more understanding of how this game would go than some thought. The MAC is as good as it gets in the small school football world. An under .500 record in that league is relative compared to other conferences. When a bunch of good teams play someone still has to lose. It took one of the two best of the OHC teams to beat the bottom of the MAC and they needed everything they had to pull that one out. Also this is a good win for the Riders. If Anna was in any other small school conference they would be one of the better teams. The OHC is BURG, WJ then everyone else. Their is a big drop after the top 2. Fairbanks showed how far the drop truly is to the 3rd best team with their performance at Fort Recovery. If this conference wants to do big things the other schools have got to step up. The MAC is so good because the league as a whole hold each other accountable. In that league you can't afford to take the little things for granted. Unfortunately for West Jeff and Burg its hard not to take things for granted when they are not playing each other. I assume West Liberty won't be down for long they have good coaching and a good tradition. Other schools like Triad, Fairbanks, and Northeastern have to get a lot better to make this league more well rounded. I hope to see it improve because I believe it has the capability if these communities other than the top two ever go all in on football.

Brutus - The 1988 North Union game was 19-14 WJ loss in week 10. WJ would lose the next week in the playoffs to Wheelersburg 21-14. This was Ron Mast junior year as WJ would finish the year 8-3. The Tommy Spohn fg was in 1986 wk 4 at Dublin in overtime as WJ would win 17-14, Randy Kight was Riders Allstate tailback.

The WJ losses to Marion Local & Coldwater are:
* 2007 ML 24 WJ 0 Regional Final
* 2008 ML 21 WJ 14 Regional Final
* 2010 Coldwater 44 WJ 12 Regional Final
* 2011 Coldwater 28 WJ 6 Regional Final
* 2012 ML 44 WJ 37 Week 2
* 2013 ML 29 WJ 0 Week 2
* 2013 Coldwater 35 WJ 10 State Semifinal

The only game you could say WJ may have been a favorite in was 2012 vs ML, they had a very young team & had graduated a lot of seniors from the previous season. The 2013 games, WJ was breaking in a new qb (Logan Stepp) and weren’t quite ready for ML in wk 2 but you could say they should have played Coldwater closer than was they did in the state semi’s. FYI. MaxPreps ranked ML #1 and Coldwater #7 in the country for schools with less than 1,000 students. Sorry but I just don’t think WJ has chocked in these games, WJ just got beat.

The old Central Buckeye League. I found this off of Wikipedia. Boy, have times changed!!
110AA1CA-2AB3-45E0-8FE6-18D4C19C580D.jpeg

Good night for the OHC and big congrats to Greenon on their first playoff win! If I’m the coaching staff, I don’t even know where to begin when it comes to stopping Corey Kiner BUT they will definitely be enjoying this win for now as they should!

good night for Greenon and burg. Otherwise a terrible night for the OHC. Burg is real, the rest of the OHC is down big time

Brutus - The 1988 North Union game was 19-14 WJ loss in week 10. WJ would lose the next week in the playoffs to Wheelersburg 21-14. This was Ron Mast junior year as WJ would finish the year 8-3. The Tommy Spohn fg was in 1986 wk 4 at Dublin in overtime as WJ would win 17-14, Randy Kight was Riders Allstate tailback.

The WJ losses to Marion Local & Coldwater are:
* 2007 ML 24 WJ 0 Regional Final
* 2008 ML 21 WJ 14 Regional Final
* 2010 Coldwater 44 WJ 12 Regional Final
* 2011 Coldwater 28 WJ 6 Regional Final
* 2012 ML 44 WJ 37 Week 2
* 2013 ML 29 WJ 0 Week 2
* 2013 Coldwater 35 WJ 10 State Semifinal

The only game you could say WJ may have been a favorite in was 2012 vs ML, they had a very young team & had graduated a lot of seniors from the previous season. The 2013 games, WJ was breaking in a new qb (Logan Stepp) and weren’t quite ready for ML in wk 2 but you could say they should have played Coldwater closer than was they did in the state semi’s. FYI. MaxPreps ranked ML #1 and Coldwater #7 in the country for schools with less than 1,000 students. Sorry but I just don’t think WJ has chocked in these games, WJ just got beat.
Yes, I was there for all of it. Due to dad being on the chain gang and booster president for a year or so, I was up front with all of it. North union was my senior year and lived down the street from Randy Kight. Got beat, choked. Whatever you want to call it. The riders beat who they are supposed to beat and lost to those who are a bit better then them most of the time. Don’t forget Charlie Cahill’s game against Amanda clearcreek. I believe the WJ was the better team and lost.

for next week i’ll take:

Mechanicsburg- 36 Paint Valley- 12

West Jefferson- 31 Covington- 23

Roger Bacon- 38 Greenon- 17

in July when Rice left, no one expected the Knights to do anything that they have. riding a 6 game win streak and just beat a team that many other R20 teams voted as the “1 seed”.

think the Knights season does come to an end this Saturday. Roger Bacon is a very good football team and figuring out how to stop Kiner likely keeps coaches up at night. i think Greenon will fight but in the end Roger Bacon is just the better football team.

I agree with my WJ-Steelers brethren (sorry I'm Penn State fan) I would not consider what WJ has done in playoffs choking!!! In recent history we have struggled with both CW and ML but who hasn't..............I will tell you who hasnt the teams sitting at home when WJ is still playing 2 of the best small schools in the country. Sure I thought we had chances in 3-4 of these games but the better teams won and proved their championship,metal.
I will also tell you I truly hope we can win this week and assuming CW wins we get another shot at them. It is the type of games you work for and if you are fortune you get the chance to play in. One thing is for certain you can't take the big dog down sitting at home and I would much rather have the opportunity it to play than being home with season over.

The old Central Buckeye League. I found this off of Wikipedia. Boy, have times changed!!
View attachment 10915
It’s still wild that the successor to that league, think it was the Buckeye Athletic Conference(?), crapped out only to basically merge into the Mid-State League. I’ll never understand why those schools joined into the MSL instead of just reformatting into a new conference, as it really changed the trajectory of the entire league.

Greenon going against the odds again! congrats to those boys. that’s the definition of playing with heart!
Just wanted to come on here and say I was wrong! Congrats to Greenon for a huge win! I didnt think they would win, but the Knights reminded me how little about FB i know. ;)
Again, congrats to Greenon, WJ, and Burg on moving on to bigger and better things!

when you look at it, we now have 3 OHC schools representing us in the round of 32. would be considered a pretty “average” year at this point. the disappointing part is that we had 4 top 8 seeds and only 3 advanced. oh well. still have hope that BURG can win us a title!

if WJ gets it together, i see a possibility of an all-OHC D6R24 title!

It’s still wild that the successor to that league, think it was the Buckeye Athletic Conference(?), crapped out only to basically merge into the Mid-State League. I’ll never understand why those schools joined into the MSL instead of just reformatting into a new conference, as it really changed the trajectory of the entire league.
I believe and I may be wrong, but the word was that the reformed into the BAC to get rid of Columbus Academy. From what I understand, the coaches in the league we’re tired of Academy recruiting. They were so cocky that they sent quarterback John Keel a letter to come to school there. Gene Keel, did not turn them in. As for the BAC, I really didn’t understand that because I believe west Jeff was independent for a bit before joining the mid state league cardinal division.

West Jeff should have a little easier time this week but they just don’t seem to be clicking on all cylinders.
Academy recruit....nah

Good luck to the OHC teams still in the playoff. Aloes, congrats to those teams/ADs that get 11 games in this year. What a year! That extra week means a lot.