Ohio Heritage Conference 2020

Romero is the biggest game changer I've ever seen in the OHC. Those Mechanicsburg teams would have been great without him but with him they were literally a few plays away from state championships. No other OHC teams can say that

If Wagner would have stayed at, rather gone to Greenon, they would have made the playoffs in 06 and 07. That kid was a game changer on both sides of the ball. There was a QB in the early-mid 2000s at Southeastern that threw for over 3000 yards and 30sih TDs and SE was only 1-9 or 3-7 something like that.

Catholic Central made it to the state final 4 his senior year. They were the first OHC team to advance that far. Lost by a score of 21-14 to eventual state Champions Newark Catholic.

I played with a kid from West Jeff named Logan Stepp in college (Otterbein University). Not sure what his High School Stats were but he was a hell of a player for us. As a senior he was the first person in OAC history to pass for 2000 and rush for 1000 In the same season. His junior season was pretty close to that as well.
Stepp was a beast for West Jefferson in their MSL days. Glad to read that he made it out so well for Otterbein.

It really is fun to debate the GOAT of the OHC. The way I look at it, which player had the biggest impact on his team. Like jobarules said, Burg would have been solid without Romero. West Jefferson this year would have been solid without Jones. I still think Wagner is the GOAT. Without him in 2007 (another team a few plays away from the state championship), Catholic Central probably barely makes the playoffs.

Regular season only in 2007:
1,787 yards rushing, 28 TDs
115 tackles (he was probably better on defense)

Wagner went on to play at Akron where his career was equally as impressive.

He transferred to Arizona for his final year of eligibility after leading the nation in tackles and abruptly gave up the game.

Who all from the OHC went on to be a D1 athlete?

I know the following:

Kaleb Romero, Ohio State University (wrestling)
Brian Wagner, Akron
Collin Link, Purdue
Logan Link, Purdue

Brian Cooper went to Miami. He single handedly beat Covington by telling the coach give me the ball when they were down and ended up winning 27-21. Then lost to ML in the infamous fog bowl where no one saw a single play! LOL!

Greenon has only been in the conference for what 3 yrs so I haven't seen many of the good ones, only get to a few games a year, but rice is as good as I've seen. Knights were riding a 32 game losing streak when he got there. Stats were incredible last yr and in 3 yrs nearly got them to playoffs. Will be a D1 player somewhere.

Granted, it was CBC, but Greenon had some monster DT and other good OL guys from 2011-13. Record never reflected because of lack of skill guys and really just really how hard that schedule was. That was prime CBC (granted London and Alder carrying solid weight), but this was prime Shawnee, KR, Tipp, and even Urbana had that Mays kid who I think is up there with any local QB. Heck Graham had some guy go to a Big 10 school. I remember scouting against KR and Shawnee and think after they played them every: damn, even Greenon has some dudes. But idk his name or remember number, but he is probably the area's most talented player in the 2010s. Even our coaches shook their head at some of those guys, but that DT made you shake your head.

Greenon has only been in the conference for what 3 yrs so I haven't seen many of the good ones, only get to a few games a year, but rice is as good as I've seen. Knights were riding a 32 game losing streak when he got there. Stats were incredible last yr and in 3 yrs nearly got them to playoffs. Will be a D1 player somewhere.

I think he will be in the conversation for sure. I expect a monster senior season out of him. Frankly, I'm glad they aren't on our schedule next year. Haha.

Jones WJ
Cooper SE
Wagner CC
Romero Burg

In no particular these are the best ever to play in the OHC .... that doesn’t come without debate tho just an opinion

Granted, it was CBC, but Greenon had some monster DT and other good OL guys from 2011-13. Record never reflected because of lack of skill guys and really just really how hard that schedule was. That was prime CBC (granted London and Alder carrying solid weight), but this was prime Shawnee, KR, Tipp, and even Urbana had that Mays kid who I think is up there with any local QB. Heck Graham had some guy go to a Big 10 school. I remember scouting against KR and Shawnee and think after they played them every: damn, even Greenon has some dudes. But idk his name or remember number, but he is probably the area's most talented player in the 2010s. Even our coaches shook their head at some of those guys, but that DT made you shake your head.
Nic Van Hoose is the kid you're referring to from Graham. Ended up being a 4 year starter at Northwestern and made the all conference team. Single handedly won 8 games a year for the Falcons at the time and maybe the best college producer ever from the CBC

Stepp was a beast for West Jefferson in their MSL days. Glad to read that he made it out so well for Otterbein.

Great player even better person! Last I heard he got the Offensive Grad Assistant position at Otterbein. Which is a pretty good deal, GA's get their grad school totally paid for and food stipend. Something to think about for all perspective high school seniors who are getting looks by small schools who do not offer athletic scholarships.

Prior to West Jefferson joining the OHC....they had some solid teams in the middle 2000's. Joe Webb was a standout player for the burg...not sure what his college days looked like.

QB Robbie Glass (Shawee), Dez Lyburtus (Bellefontaine), Alex Jacobs (Indian Lake), Nathan Mays (Urbana), Brad Jarzab (Shawnee)
RB Garret Proxmire (Alder), Jayden Davis (Kenton Ridge), Jacob Hall (Tippecanoe), Nick Vanhoose (Graham),

That's just in the last 10 years.

Josh Bannick by chance? know he was an absolute dude.

oh how the tides have turned. put that OLine with this years skills and i’m not sure they get beat.

Yes, that’s him. Glad we never played him. Dude was unreal. Didn’t he play RB? They had like 2 other sub 300 pound guys that could kind of play too. Problem with small schools like Greenon. They never get that perfect team. Had unreal OL and meh skill guys or unreal skill guys and meh OL. I can’t imagine if you put Rice on 2011 team or fast forwarding those guys to this team how good Greenon could have been.

Somebody come up with an all CBC/OHC team from the last 20 years...
This is a tough one and so many good players have come through over the years. I think color is right that the CBC may dominate the list. Anyway, I have thought about it and this is what pops into my mind.

Pocket QBs
Mays - Urbana
Rice - Greenon (Should be a dual threat QB but I put him here because he does have that pocket talent...if there was a line to protect him)
Bisher- KR, don't remember if he is within 20 years but that kid could throw.
Buescher - WJ. I know he is young but he is special and WJ faithful will enjoy seeing his talents for a couple of more years.

Duel QB
Jarzab- Shawnee
Glass - Shawnee
Lyburtus- Bellefontaine
Alex Jacobs - Indian Lake
Romero- Burg
Seifert - Greenon....I'm just putting this kid in here because of shear football talent. If you never got a chance to see him play in the 2000-2001 time frame, you missed out. Not an especially good passer but a hard, aggressive running QB

RBs
Wagner -SCC
Davis _ Kenton Ridge
Jackson -Greenon
Jones - WJ
Hall - Tipp
Cooper- SE
Murray - Tecumseh
Capper- Kenton Ridge

WR
Comer - Tipp
Barnett - Shawnee
Trempe - Graham
Armstrong - Kenton Ridge
Dimitroff - SCC

O-Line
Shawnee 2011, big, strong, smart kids. Probably the best combo blocking line I have seen in the area, they were special and I guess that state finals should be attributed to them. I apologize for not knowing specific names but as a whole those kids were damn good.

Defense
I tend to watch more offense than defense but there are some kids that I remember

Minna - Tecumseh
Christopher - Greenon
Holt - Kenton Ridge
Wagner - SCC
Demers -Tipp
Payton-Greenview

Sorry this is so CBC heavy but its a start...

This is a tough one and so many good players have come through over the years. I think color is right that the CBC may dominate the list. Anyway, I have thought about it and this is what pops into my mind.

Pocket QBs
Mays - Urbana
Rice - Greenon (Should be a dual threat QB but I put him here because he does have that pocket talent...if there was a line to protect him)
Bisher- KR, don't remember if he is within 20 years but that kid could throw.
Buescher - WJ. I know he is young but he is special and WJ faithful will enjoy seeing his talents for a couple of more years.

Duel QB
Jarzab- Shawnee
Glass - Shawnee
Lyburtus- Bellefontaine
Alex Jacobs - Indian Lake
Romero- Burg
Seifert - Greenon....I'm just putting this kid in here because of shear football talent. If you never got a chance to see him play in the 2000-2001 time frame, you missed out. Not an especially good passer but a hard, aggressive running QB

RBs
Wagner -SCC
Davis _ Kenton Ridge
Jackson -Greenon
Jones - WJ
Hall - Tipp
Cooper- SE
Murray - Tecumseh
Capper- Kenton Ridge

WR
Comer - Tipp
Barnett - Shawnee
Trempe - Graham
Armstrong - Kenton Ridge
Dimitroff - SCC

O-Line
Shawnee 2011, big, strong, smart kids. Probably the best combo blocking line I have seen in the area, they were special and I guess that state finals should be attributed to them. I apologize for not knowing specific names but as a whole those kids were damn good.

Defense
I tend to watch more offense than defense but there are some kids that I remember

Minna - Tecumseh
Christopher - Greenon
Holt - Kenton Ridge
Wagner - SCC
Demers -Tipp
Payton-Greenview

Sorry this is so CBC heavy but its a start...
actually a very good list. probably missing a few guys i’ve seen especially from greeneview (they’ve had some dudes the last decade) and maybe a few greenon guys. you hit all the big CBC names

Who else would you add?
Levi Morrison, Greenon c/o 2019. kids just a football player. a guy you have to plan for as an OC. he was a beast and i’m pretty sure he’s at wittenberg now.

Nick Wolfe, Greeneview c/o 2020. heard he was going to Akron? personal bias aside of who i think played dirty, the kid was one of the best HS interior d-lineman i have seen.

Cooper Chaffin, Greenon c/o 2018. like Morrison, a great football player. the kid was a hitter. always came down hill, played hard, never takes a play off. and on top of that, you can see from the stands he was a leader. might be a little bit of a stretch but would start on every all-time great OHC defense. he is at Marietta now playing Strong Safety.

2019 West Jeff O-Line. if you have seen them you would know. big and nasty is the best way to describe them. jones was an amazing player but they were a big reason for his success.

Nick Clevenger, Greeneview c/o 2018. you could say dual-threat QB but the kid was very good on defense too. watching him play before, you just knew he would make plays. smart player and physical (like most players on those very good greeneview teams). don’t think he plays college ball.

Jack McCory, Shawnee c/o 2017 (?). a stud for the braves at LB. tough, hard nosed kid and he plays at Ohio University to my knowledge.

the 2017 West Jefferson team had some good players but i can’t remember names.

the early 2010’s KR teams really had some good athletes, Davis, Holt, and i think a QB come to mind?

there’s more, but these come to mind instantly for me off of teams i have seen play.

Triad - Doug Lowe played WR-QB in 2013 - Pitched 4 years at University of Cincinnati, Tre McIntyre - played SS at Ohio Dominican for 4 years, Matt Bailey - played at ODU also for one season, Trent McIntyre - OHC POY as a sophomore (many injuries in HS), Lane Crabtree (6'2"-275 lbs) played at UU, Dan Kaffenbarger - kicker at Heidelberg

Yes, you are old, lol. Probably the most famous names in the CBC. Every now and then I still see the Rogan name on a roster in Urbana and Bellefontaine. What about Dez Lyburtus dad back in the early 90's? Wow, that guy was a beast.

Lyburtus's dad was a stud for sure. Late 90's, Jorrell Johnson was one of the best running backs I've ever seen (Bellefontaine).