Ohio Heritage Conference 2019

If there's anything that I've learned over the years, it's that AP voters are usually idiots.

Somebody in the general vicinity (I'm guessing either the Daily Citizen or the Marysville Journal-Tribune) appears to be a current AP voter.

I doubt it. For a brief time in the 60s WLS was in the Darby Valley League with some pre-cursor schools to Madison-Plains, Madison-South and The Plains. They probably played one or both of those schools a few times.
You are correct. West Liberty-Salem played The Plains from 1963-67. The Plains record against West Liberty-Salem was 3-2. West Liberty-Salem played Madison South from 1963-65, and 1966. West Liberty-Salem held a 3-1 record against them.

You are correct. West Liberty-Salem played The Plains from 1963-67. The Plains record against West Liberty-Salem was 3-2. West Liberty-Salem played Madison South from 1963-65, and 1966. West Liberty-Salem held a 3-1 record against them.

You’re awesome. Where do you get all of this stuff?

Got out while the getting was good. The Plains went undefeated in 1968 and might have been scored on a handful of times that year, finishing the year ranked 4th or 5th in the polls in what was then Class A. Their senior class that year was probably by far the most talented group relative to era in MP's (and predecessor's) football history.

The Plains (and previously Mt. Sterling before combining with Fairfield Twp. to be The Plains) had some really good football teams in the post-WWII era through the 60s. Had an awfully nice rivalry with Mechanicsburg back in the day from what I've heard, as well.

i hate to be that guy but everyone out of the area or that doesn’t know football is sleeping on Greenon.

Agree ...is the qb a senior ? What's the breakdown of seniors ,juniors etc
The QB Rice is only a Junior. the senior class is solid- i think they have 7 or 8, and they make up most of the line. The junior class may be known as one of the best to go through Greenon once they are finished. seen them since middle school and they have so much talent. huge drop off after the current sophomores.

Looks like Greeon-Fairbanks or WL-MP are the only good game this week, before picking up next week.

Any thoughts on WL MP game? I might try to see that one. Greenon FB is probably the best one, not sure I want to drive that far though.

Interesting that 4 OHC teams are state ranked. The league looks pretty strong this year.

Looks like Greeon-Fairbanks or WL-MP are the only good game this week, before picking up next week.

Any thoughts on WL MP game? I might try to see that one. Greenon FB is probably the best one, not sure I want to drive that far though.

Interesting that 4 OHC teams are state ranked. The league looks pretty strong this year.

Tough to say what the WLS/MP game will bring. Both teams have played better than I thought they would - but both teams have had pretty week OOC schedules and crossover games. I do not think MP will slow the WLS offense. The key to how good of a game it will be will be based on how MP's offense does. WLS' defense has been much better than I thought they would be, but again, they haven't played any stellar offenses yet. I would guess the Greenon/Fairbanks game will be more competitive, but I've proven multiple times that I know nothing. Haha.

State rankings, you know what you can do with those, they mean nothing!
Only ones that mean anything are the computer!
You might be ranked high in the state and sitting at #9 in the computer come week 10 and that would mean nothing unless you at least won your league maybe.
At least that is the way I have always looked at it.

On the WLS/MP game!
Wouldn't be surprised to see WLS win by 35 in that one only because looking back it happens like that every season at MP.
MP will start out 3-0 or 4-0 and then lose out.

Who the hell named em "state champion team"? I mean I take it but we'll 3 weeks in, maybe a soon yet. As for week six, we'll see!!

WLS over MP - WLS at home with winning tradition and hardnose football bring Plains back to reality
Greenon over Fbanks - Greenon at home and playing with confidence
Gview over Triad - don't overlook Gview, they will still be in the fight at the end of the year
WJ over SE - West Jeff at home, interested to see if they come out the way they have the 1st 3 weeks, swinging for the fences right out the gate
NE over CC - the struggle continues, some gets the 1st W of the year
Burg over Cville - Burg too much even on the road and won't look past anyone

Whether you like WJ or not........it is hard to debate Coach B is the real deal and is a classy coach. Not only on the field, but more importantly what he tries to teach these young men on how to be real men is today's society. My son played for him and he consistently challenges these young men to make a difference in society no matter what they do.

Good luck tomorrow night to all OHC teams.

I could only find 2 that appeared to be big upsets.

2003, 5-3 Northeastern upset 8-0 Triad by a score of 18-0. Not huge, but big.

I think the biggest upset came in 2002 when 2-6 West Liberty-Salem shutout 7-1 Southeastern 18-0.

We've had some close calls, but nothing else major.

My picks for tonight:

West Liberty-Salem 48, Madison Plains 21
Greenon 49, Fairbanks 34
Greeneview 38, Triad 20
West Jefferson 49, Southeastern 14
Northeastern 27, Catholic Central 7
Mechanicsburg 45, Cedarville 6

2017, Greenon and CC were 3-7 that year. Not really an upset.
2002, WLS finished 4-6 that year. That was an upset for sure.
But if SE beats WLS, that would be the biggest in history, bar none. SE will be lucky to beat Cedarville this year. I sure hope SE doesn't lose to CC. I think SE will finish 2-8 or 1-9. So that would make it the biggest upset in history of the OHC if you ask me. But I'm wrong all the time........... just ask my wife, she'll tell you.

Speaking of 2002, I'll never forget the last game of the season, MB @ SE and SE winning, then hosting them again in the playoffs and losing. In the first match up SE had two or three kids go down and missed the next game that mattered most. I think it was two lineman and a RB/WR, but that's been a very long time ago.

Go OHC!

Speaking of 2002, I'll never forget the last game of the season, MB @ SE and SE winning, then hosting them again in the playoffs and losing. In the first match up SE had two or three kids go down and missed the next game that mattered most. I think it was two lineman and a RB/WR, but that's been a very long time ago.

Go OHC!

I remember both of those games for sure, that first on was pretty physical and from a Burg perspective those boys seemed determined not to let the same result happen 2 weeks in a row, the year before a week 10 loss kept the Indians out of the playoffs. The win in week 11 of 2002 was the Burgs first playoff victory. That SE team was good - Cooper lead I think?

This weeks game of the week is the tigers vs Mplains both state ranked! I think its really cool and deserved for those teams and great for the OHC and the kids on the team. But I think like some others on here that this is the beginning of the unraveling for MP. Two years ago they had a team that took the field and I thought the boys from the Burg where in trouble, ended up a running clock not in the Eagles favor. WLS is pretty dang good and maybe the only real threat (because of their offense) to keep pace with WJ this year.

Is this years WJ team better than the 2017 or 2013 team? I do think they are a top team in D5 probably should be higher than 7, maybe not the favorite for a state title because Kirtland is D5 this year but legit contenders for sure and could take down Kirtland. It would be great if the Greenon match up happens in the playoffs.

Greenon not being state ranked is a shame, definitely deserving. But being in the Dayton market it's tough they will take care of the regulars and those from around the state follow the lead for the "chosen ones" as well. Not many teams in D5-7 have kids in skill positions getting looks from Big 10 schools. Special things happening there.

DTR..............I am going to reserve judgement on this year's WJ team compared to the '17 and '13 team for a few more weeks

I can tell you they have been extremely physical these first 3 games and at times downright nasty!!! They have a balanced attack on offense right now which certainly ranks up there with the teams you mentioned. However, It is a bit different than Coach B offenses in the past.

The defense needs to get much better as we move through the season. We gave up a few long passes to Ready and Gview actually ran the ball pretty well against us (not sure what the stats were). In both cases we made some big plays and eventually just wore them out.

I want to see them come out ready to play tonight and not look past SE whatsoever. One of the issues we have had in the past is coming out flat and just not playing well in games we are highly favored. That bothers me about the mentality of a team and the leaders of a particular team.

i remember watching West Jeff in the 2017 playoffs vs. Reading, they went down 21-0 and then came back to win the game 35-27. that was a very athletic team they had. went on to get crushed by madison the next week, went to that game also

The 2013 WJ team was extremely good on the O & D line and the qb Logan Stepp had a very distinguished career at Otterbein College. Their only two losses was wk 2 vs State Champ Marion Local and to State Champ Coldwater (EMU db Brady Hoying was the qb) in the state semi-finals. MaxPrep.com had both nationally ranked for high schools under 1,000 students - Marion Local was #1 and Coldwater was #7. The 2017 WJ team was a nice team but in my opinion not the caliber of the 2013. The 2018 version has not yet done anything to deserve any comparison to these two recent WJ teams. A week 2 win vs a Ready team that was 4-6 last season (who beat WJ last year) doesn't make a season. WJ still must face the OHC North favorite Mechanicsburg, 2018 OHC Champ Fairbanks, a WLS team that has put up great numbers this season and a upstart Madison Plains team that will play their best game vs WJ. Unfortunately tonight's game vs Southeastern will prove nothing, one only hopes to get thru the game injury free. Southeastern, SCC and Cedarville simply don't have the #'s to compete at a very high level right now. Still a lot of football yet to be played.

This years WJ team is better then a lot of the WJ teams of the past especially on offense.
More balanced, better running game and more depth.
Half 48-7 WJ over SE

WLS/MP went to a running clock with over 10 minutes to play still in the SECOND quarter. Both coaches agreed to it. I’ve never seen that before.

56-8 final

Not sure if that’s teaching kids life lessons can’t win or compete so just give up.
OHSAA needs to dump that rule just started this year. I guess maybe if you only have 15 or 16 kids ok I might agree but come on quit babying these kids.