Ohio Div 1

Impressive run for GGCL teams continues as each sweeps all four opponents on Saturday. With no one else left, they move on and begin knocking one another off this week

SUA v Ursuline

MM V MND.

I'll predict Ursuline in 4 and MND in 5 but wont be shocked if it's SUA & MM.

MND wins in 5 and Ursuline sweeps.

UA v MND on Sat for the right to play in the Final Four.

UA has not dropped a game yet this postseason. I’ll predict UA in 4.

So 3 NCL schools are still alive.

- Padua plays Magnificat, who basically plays a NCL schedule, in the Norwalk Regional final. They probably will have no problem w/ Mags and should punch their Dayton ticket in 3 this Saturday.

- Lake Catholic plays Gilmour for the Div II Regional title in Stow. Neither are as strong as they have been in past years so it will be interesting to see how they do in Dayton and keep the NCL stranglehold on Div II.

Then you have poor Walsh Jesuit. This was going to be their year with a solid team that played very fast but the lack of height finally caught up to them in the post season. Someone told me Jackson had easy swings all evening long and the poor passers from Walsh just could not keep digging out every rocket that was hit at them.

Since there is no general volleyball discussion I do want to also call out the run that Independence is currently on in Div III. They have yet to drop a set in the post season and have one of the best player in the state in Libero Maddy Bilinovic. Not sure if they have all the pieces to win the title but they are fun to watch if you appreciate good defense.

Watched a block party today as Solon defeated Jackson 3-1. Solon's use of all their front line weapons trumped Jackson's reliance on their two OHs. And Jackson's reluctance to take #3 out of the back row finally caught up to them.

So it was another incredible Regional Final in SW Ohio as the two best teams (Ursuline and MND) went toe to toe again.

UA won game one 25-17

UA won game two 25-15

MND won game three 25-22

MND won game four 25-20

And in the fifth set goes 17-15 and the winner is...Ursuline.

So 3 NCL schools are still alive.

- Padua plays Magnificat, who basically plays a NCL schedule, in the Norwalk Regional final. They probably will have no problem w/ Mags and should punch their Dayton ticket in 3 this Saturday.

- Lake Catholic plays Gilmour for the Div II Regional title in Stow. Neither are as strong as they have been in past years so it will be interesting to see how they do in Dayton and keep the NCL stranglehold on Div II.

Then you have poor Walsh Jesuit. This was going to be their year with a solid team that played very fast but the lack of height finally caught up to them in the post season. Someone told me Jackson had easy swings all evening long and the poor passers from Walsh just could not keep digging out every rocket that was hit at them.

Since there is no general volleyball discussion I do want to also call out the run that Independence is currently on in Div III. They have yet to drop a set in the post season and have one of the best player in the state in Libero Maddy Bilinovic. Not sure if they have all the pieces to win the title but they are fun to watch if you appreciate good defense.

Lake is peaking at the right time. They looked very impressive yesterday. Third straight year going to Dayton.

Ironically, this is the weakest team of the last 2 that made it to Dayton. And with Padua in D1, this is the best chance they have to win it.

Lake is peaking at the right time. They looked very impressive yesterday. Third straight year going to Dayton.

Ironically, this is the weakest team of the last 2 that made it to Dayton. And with Padua in D1, this is the best chance they have to win it.

I say Lake play each of the last few years. This year when they beat Hoban, they didn’t look that great.

I saw them vs Crestwood and they looked like a strong team with a nice mix of depth, 3 solid seniors plus a top D1 recruit in Browske who while not physically imposing she is a well-rounded and very smart player.

At a program like Lake, the atmosphere will not overwhelm them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they won in Dayton next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In Div I it looks like Ursuline Academy and Padua are on a collision course. Solon & Liberty have not played anywhere near the schedules that Ursuline & Padua have and it will be hard for them to keep up with the high level of volleyball they will see if they are not use to it.

For the 1st time in years Div II is wide open and not the NCL invite. I really could see any of the four teams winning it if they get on a good roll.

Div III might be the best pound for pound semis of the bunch, in particular the Tinora vs Independence match is the standout of all the semi matches.

No clue on Div IV, anyone out there know anything about this Division?

The Ohio High School Volleyball Coaches Association All Ohio Teams are out: http://ohsvca.org/index.php/awards/athletes/all-ohio/2018-all-ohio-awards

While not as bad as the AP All Ohio in football there are some big head scratchers:

- 1st and 2nd team Div I is basically a setter and 7 hitters, WTF? Give the passers some love.

- Highland has more players that are All Ohio 1st team than all NCL Div II teams for all levels?

- In Div III Maddy Bilinovic doesn't even warrant honorable mention? I find it hard to imagine that her coach would not nominate her, even then enough coaches in the state know who a Penn State libero recruit is and should have written that name on a piece of paper.

Ursuline Academy d. Padua Franciscan in 3 straight.
25-19, 25-23, 25-23

SW Ohio competition is so fierce... they are battle tested

Didn't get a chance to watch any of the action on Saturday but while not surprised that Padua lost I am surprised that they could not win a set. Bottom line is they lost to a good team so they tip their hat and hope they get another chance next year.

Im not a Ursuline fan specifically, but I am a fan of the GGCL. IMO this isnt one of Ursuline's better teams from a talent perspective. Yes, they have a great setter, but this is not a team full of heavily recruited players. They are just so fundamentally sound, do not make mistakes, and are battle tested b/c the league prepares them so well. I'd even argue MND may be the second best team in the state (lost to Ursuline in 5 sets last week). Good luck to all the girls on all the teams who are moving on to play in college or with their next chapter in life.

Im not a Ursuline fan specifically, but I am a fan of the GGCL. IMO this isnt one of Ursuline's better teams from a talent perspective. Yes, they have a great setter, but this is not a team full of heavily recruited players. They are just so fundamentally sound, do not make mistakes, and are battle tested b/c the league prepares them so well. I'd even argue MND may be the second best team in the state (lost to Ursuline in 5 sets last week). Good luck to all the girls on all the teams who are moving on to play in college or with their next chapter in life.

According to the OHSAA site (https://ohsaa.org/sports/volleyball/past-results) a GGCL school has won the championship 27 of the 44 years there has been a state tournament. (Ursuline won the AA title in 1975). Since 1993, a GGCL team has won it 20 times of the 26 years.
The break down by team: SUA-2; Mercy-4; Seton-5; UA-7; MND-9

The stats bear this out. Padua out-hit Ursuline, but Ursuline's serving and serve receive made the difference.