Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

There are basketball, soccer and baseball tournaments being played every weekend, and have been for 1-2 months. I haven’t heard of any outbreaks from these tournaments. I haven’t heard of any tracing leading back to these tournaments.

Cancelling sports isnt slowing the spread because these kids are already playing sports and will continue to play sports. People will always find alternatives. It’s so stupid.
Where have the basketball tournaments been taking place in Ohio? If I understand it correctly, COVID testing MUST be implemented for them to take place.

I'm surprised the football die-hards aren't in an uproar over this.

There are basketball, soccer and baseball tournaments being played every weekend, and have been for 1-2 months. I haven’t heard of any outbreaks from these tournaments. I haven’t heard of any tracing leading back to these tournaments.

Cancelling sports isnt slowing the spread because these kids are already playing sports and will continue to play sports. People will always find alternatives. It’s so stupid.
had a player in our district pick it up from a travel tournament and multiple players now quarantined

covid doesn't disappear once they pay their player fees

Where have the basketball tournaments been taking place in Ohio? If I understand it correctly, COVID testing MUST be implemented for them to take place.

I'm surprised the football die-hards aren't in an uproar over this.
Cleveland somewhere

There have been tournaments in Indy, Cleveland, Tennessee, Georgia that I know of, and I’m sure more. Tharts baseball, basketball and soccer. I’ve also heard of plenty of open basketball pick ups all over the place. The kids are playing, just not in the formal leagues. And it’s going to continue.

Not to mention the informal scrimmages that I’m sure are going on. Soccer leagues are popping up for the kids in leagues that have canceled.

There have been tournaments in Indy, Cleveland, Tennessee, Georgia that I know of, and I’m sure more. Tharts baseball, basketball and soccer. I’ve also heard of plenty of open basketball pick ups all over the place. The kids are playing, just not in the formal leagues. And it’s going to continue.

Not to mention the informal scrimmages that I’m sure are going on. Soccer leagues are popping up for the kids in leagues that have canceled.
Basketball is considered a contact sports by the State of Ohio. The Department of Health's order allows only intra-team scrimmages and practices for contact sports if the COVID testing rule isn't being adhered to.

It sounds like someone is getting away with something?

Basketball is considered a contact sports by the State of Ohio. The Department of Health's order allows only intra-team scrimmages and practices for contact sports if the COVID testing rule isn't being adhered to.

I don’t know if the other states have the same rules as Ohio, and I have no clue if the Ohio events had testing.

The point is, regardless of the rules, they’re going to try to find a way. If Ohio shuts down, they will just travel to other states to compete.

Three of the four places he mentioned were not in Ohio. Are all states treating hoops as contact?

Yes, this is an extension of the previous order. But unless something changes, contact sports are not allowed to compete against other schools. Testing also remains a hurdle for all schools.
Yes. They obviously had to extend the current order because the old one ended at midnight on July 31st. This thread is just old news. That’s all.

Three of the four places he mentioned were not in Ohio. Are all states treating hoops as contact?
Many AAU teams are traveling to Indiana to play as they allow basketball to be played. Many Pennsylvania baseball teams were coming here to play baseball this summer as Penn didn’t allow baseball games. Club sports can travel to various states to play were allowed they aren’t confined to Ohio.

There have been games in Cincinnati.... open runs involving players from all different schools, games between different AAU teams, etc...

IMO this is far from over. There already is and will be more and more lawyers involved very soon. The politicians have had their opportunity to get things right, and now there are 1000's of parents who are tired of watching their kids be stuck on this roller coaster by a bunch of politicians, more concerned about their careers, and party affiliations. I don't know how it will end, but I believe we are on the edge of a revolt.

Many AAU teams are traveling to Indiana to play as they allow basketball to be played. Many Pennsylvania baseball teams were coming here to play baseball this summer as Penn didn’t allow baseball games. Club sports can travel to various states to play were allowed they aren’t confined to Ohio.
Government can’t control club teams but can public education

State legislature tried to do demand said “accountability” when Dr. Acton was in charge of the ODH. It failed in the state senate and has since stalled out. It’s largely a moot point now because: public opinion polling in the last two weeks is still decidedly in DeWine’s favor on these matters (has approval in the 70’s); coronavirus response has become arguably the paramount current events issue for voters; Ohio’s outcomes on COVID are better compared to many other states; Ohio GOP can’t keep grandstanding on it.

State legislature tried to do demand said “accountability” when Dr. Acton was in charge of the ODH. It failed in the state senate and has since stalled out. It’s largely a moot point now because: public opinion polling in the last two weeks is still decidedly in DeWine’s favor on these matters (has approval in the 70’s); coronavirus response has become arguably the paramount current events issue for voters; Ohio’s outcomes on COVID are better compared to many other states; Ohio GOP can’t keep grandstanding on it.
Ohio GOP will continue to grandstand on those polling numbers/Covid outcomes as long as the left continues to support Dewines efforts. And he has a massive amount of support from the left on his shutdown/mask/sports/schooling/essential worker stances.

Basically they are trying to put obstacles so teams have to cancel instead of just cancelling the season so they don’t look like the bad guy

Basically they are trying to put obstacles so teams have to cancel instead of just cancelling the season so they don’t look like the bad guy
One would think OHSAA can and will come to the table with Husted & the ODH a detailed plan as to what they would put on their member schools to do which assuage the ODH’s concerns on COVID spread. Whatever it is, it’s going to have to be more than “testing mandate isn’t going to work.”

I agree with this. Just like they did not want to shut down bars to be the bad guy, but they made bars stop selling liquor after 10:00.

One would think OHSAA can and will come to the table with Husted & the ODH a detailed plan as to what they would put on their member schools to do which assuage the ODH’s concerns on COVID spread. Whatever it is, it’s going to have to be more than “testing mandate isn’t going to work.”
Heard that big meeting is this week. I hear Tues or Thurs

How bout those boys and parents (with a set of balls) sign a freakin waver and go out play vs others who are willing to do the same??Let's F'n Go !!!!!

Last paragraph from ODH - so does ODH need to update this last paragraph or is there no football whether testing is done or not, as of Aug. 1st?
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.09.35 AM.png