Ohio Colleges and Universities Cancel Fall Sports

runohio

Cuyahoga Community College, Oberlin, Case Western Reserve and Kenyon have cancelled all fall sports.

The Mid-American Conference which includes Ohio members Akron, Kent, Bowling Green, Toledo, Ohio, and Miami has announced that the start of all Fall Olympic sports (field hockey, XC, soccer, and volleyball) will be delayed until September 3 which coincides with the scheduled beginning of the MAC football season.

The Horizon League which includes Ohio members Cleveland St, Youngstown St, and Wright St. has postponed the start of all fall sports until October 1.

Do you think they are making these decisions with officials and other things coordinated with other conferences etc? I don't see how conferences can move things without affecting other conferences and championships and 5 other things I'm not even thinking of. Timing companies. Venues. And how are people looking at the same information and doing such different things?

Do you think they are making these decisions with officials and other things coordinated with other conferences etc? I don't see how conferences can move things without affecting other conferences and championships and 5 other things I'm not even thinking of. Timing companies. Venues. And how are people looking at the same information and doing such different things?

I have no idea who the conference leaders are talking to, but on paper, it looks like every league for itself.

The PSAC (18 DII schools in Pennsylvania) has postponed all sports until at least January 1.

Denison is giving them a run for this title now...
Denison men have had the upper hand of late taking 3 of the last 4 NCAA team titles but have a ways to go to upstage Kenyon's all-time success. Kenyon men's swimming has won 34 NCAA team titles which, according to the school's website, is tied with Oklahoma State's wrestling program for the most NCAA team titles in any single sport across all NCAA divisions. Add the success of Kenyon's women's swimming program w/ 23 NCAA team titles which is the most of any program in any sport across all NCAA divisions (UNC women's soccer is 2nd w/ 21 NCAA titles), and it's no contest.

Incidentally, OSU has won 32 NCAA synchronized swimming titles in the past 42 years.

Unfortunately, my post continues a theme of late on this forum in that it has almost nothing to do with running. My apologies.

Kenyon also had 27 or 28 titles in a row didn't they? Denison still has a way to go to be in that category. Denison's coach is a Kenyon alum isnt he?

As far as OSU's synchronied swimming streak, those other 4 teams must be really frustrated!

The NCAC (Ohio Wesleyan, Wittenberg, Denison, Wooster, etc.) has suspended all sports competition through December 31, so in addition to no fall sports, that means no basketball games or indoor track meets before New Year's Day at the earliest.

As an alumnus of the "despicable school" with a brother who is an administrator at Denison (where my father is an emeritus faculty member) I know that both schools are pretty much focused on plans they think have the best chance of getting students back on campus with some level of safety. Oberlin made the choice to go to three semesters, with students only doing 2 of the 3 semesters in a year, to reduce class sizes and dorm occupancy. Denison is pursuing different plans but with the same basic goal.

The schools in the NCAC, on the average, have bigger endowments than the schools in the OAC, so they have more flexibility in their choices about how to handle this crisis. But even the NCAC schools recognize that a single big outbreak on a small school campus could mean the end of that school. On the whole, colleges and universities were already in deep financial trouble, and this crisis is going to drive a bunch of colleges and universities into bankruptcy and closure.

For what it's worth, the best sports teams at Oberlin right now are women's XC (the last 2 and 8 of last 11 titles, numerous national meet appearances) and women's track and field (3 of the last four indoor titles and the last 3 outdoor titles), by far.

I heard an estimate last night that 4 THOUSAND colleges & universities & trade schools across the US will go out if business if we're still at the same point a year or two from now. Only the ones with huge endowments could weather it.

I don't no whether the estimates have validity or not, but what I am sure about is that we could lock the whole country down, no work at all, no shopping, and everyone living on rice & beans & water, then re-emerge and we'll STILL HAVE THE VIRUS with us and develop all new infection rates again!!! The whole lockdown mentality is WRONG!!! The whole focus should be on minimizing exposure to THE MOST VULNERABLE, NOT TO EVERYONE!!! The vast majority of us HAVE to go back to work, school, & other activities! If we keep up this non-sense for another 6-12 months, we will DESTROY this country!!! People need to learn to live with risks in life. We do so everyday with every other virus & disease & other activities of mankind that have inherent risks & known accidents & rates of death...yet, we don't try to destroy our livelihoods by shutting down institutions & activities. These schools & other entities are going to reap the whirlwind. Time to indemnify all institutions against all lawsuits regarding this virus, make it illegal for any lawyer to file any suit, and frankly financially destroy those lawyers that would attempt to do so. I'm tired of living in a country of cowards that are afraid of everything that comes down the pike. Land of the free & home of the brave? What a crock.

Damnit people, let's do what we can REASONABLY to mitigate personal exposure thru masks, cleaning surfaces, minimizing exposure to those who are MOST at risk, & pursuing vaccinations & medical support for those affected. BUT WE MUST GET BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard an estimate last night that 4 THOUSAND colleges & universities & trade schools across the US will go out if business if we're still at the same point a year or two from now. Only the ones with huge endowments could weather it.

I don't no whether the estimates have validity or not, but what I am sure about is that we could lock the whole country down, no work at all, no shopping, and everyone living on rice & beans & water, then re-emerge and we'll STILL HAVE THE VIRUS with us and develop all new infection rates again!!! The whole lockdown mentality is WRONG!!! The whole focus should be on minimizing exposure to THE MOST VULNERABLE, NOT TO EVERYONE!!! The vast majority of us HAVE to go back to work, school, & other activities! If we keep up this non-sense for another 6-12 months, we will DESTROY this country!!! People need to learn to live with risks in life. We do so everyday with every other virus & disease & other activities of mankind that have inherent risks & known accidents & rates of death...yet, we don't try to destroy our livelihoods by shutting down institutions & activities. These schools & other entities are going to reap the whirlwind. Time to indemnify all institutions against all lawsuits regarding this virus, make it illegal for any lawyer to file any suit, and frankly financially destroy those lawyers that would attempt to do so. I'm tired of living in a country of cowards that are afraid of everything that comes down the pike. Land of the free & home of the brave? What a crock.

Damnit people, let's do what we can REASONABLY to mitigate personal exposure thru masks, cleaning surfaces, minimizing exposure to those who are MOST at risk, & pursuing vaccinations & medical support for those affected. BUT WE MUST GET BACK TO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the southern states. People refuse to do it. Florida is still over 11% infection positive and record hospitalizations. I've been back to work for 3 months. It can be done. If there is still high rates of infection, there is no safe way to open schools. Failure of leadership. Those complaining the most are most of the problem. We are going to blow this and ruin things for the kids again. It is a joke.

JAVMAN83 has finally cracked.
Not really. My views from March are still my views today. I mean what I wrote. 5-10 years from now, if we're still a functioning Republic, a lot of good hard data will show tha the virus killed who it was going to kill regardless of masks & social distancing. We still don't have a full understanding of all its transmission methodologies....we are just guessing at this point that it can somehow be stopped if only everyone would wear a mask & "socially distance" themselves. That will be shown to be a fallacy in the course of time, IMHO. This thing is finding other methodologies that most are missing. How one's body responds to it is of primary importance. I myself believe I've already been exposed months ago. My sister & her family had symptoms that fit COVID starting in December & continued to April of this year, off-and-on. Her family never stopped working the entire time, and I was exposed to them WITHOUT masks many multiple times during & after that period. I myself have shown ZERO symptoms. Ive also been exposed to someone who most likely had it back in February. For those that have terrible reactions to it, my heart goes out to them & those who have lost loved ones. That said, I stand by my opinions I stated earlier, regardless of whether people think I've "cracked". :)

I wish everyone here & their loved ones all the best. Let's hope that medications will be available sooner than later.

I want to have a fall season.

But I have faith in the experts in the medical field right now who spent 7-10 years getting their degree to make these tough decisions.

If they have some underlying purpose to do this their day will come in the future.

I want to have a fall season.

But I have faith in the experts in the medical field right now who spent 7-10 years getting their degree to make these tough decisions.

If they have some underlying purpose to do this their day will come in the future.
While I understand your viewpoint & respect it, I feel it necessary to remind all that the future is guaranteed to no one. The Class of 2020 just had their senior seasons taken from them for LIFE, and a few of those kids won't be alive in 2021. Two 2020 Trotwood-Madison kids were recently killed in an auto accident. The reaction to COVID, not the virus itself, robbed those kids of their senior seasons.

While I understand your viewpoint & respect it, I feel it necessary to remind all that the future is guaranteed to no one. The Class of 2020 just had their senior seasons taken from them for LIFE, and a few of those kids won't be alive in 2021. Two 2020 Trotwood-Madison kids were recently killed in an auto accident. The reaction to COVID, not the virus itself, robbed those kids of their senior seasons.
I totally agree. I also agree that these seniors being robbed of their senior year. It stinks. But I am shocked how most of the parents I have talked to don't use it as an opportunity to teach their kids that sometimes things are totally out of their hands and you have to grow from it and be a better person.

Exactly our county just had 2 18 year old 2020 grads die in separate auto accidents, it was quite sad seeing their obits in the paper next to each other. But no talk of lowering speed limits or raising driving age because life/freedom has risks. The county had 3 school age kids die of H1N1 but nothing was shut down. Meanwhile there as be 2 deaths from CV-19 one in 70's and one in 80's and the fear is so great that nearly everything is shut down.

Exactly our county just had 2 18 year old 2020 grads die in separate auto accidents, it was quite sad seeing their obits in the paper next to each other. But no talk of lowering speed limits or raising driving age because life/freedom has risks. The county had 3 school age kids die of H1N1 but nothing was shut down. Meanwhile there as be 2 deaths from CV-19 one in 70's and one in 80's and the fear is so great that nearly everything is shut down.

The argument haven't done anything about traffic fatalities is disingenuous.

Unintentional injury (as in car accidents) is the number 1 cause of death in the US for the age groups 15-54,

12 people per 100,000 died from traffic fatalities in 2018, this is down from 25 per 100,000 in 1970.

227 million licensed drivers in 2018 vs. 112 million licensed drivers in 1970. So 50% reduction in fatalities per 100K with double the number of drivers. This is another example of the government doing something so well (though not necessarily efficiently), most people weren't aware it was doing anything at all.

Additionally, communicable disease death can expand exponentially, which traffic accidents don't. Meaning, one traffic accident doesn't spread to my neighbors, co-workers, etc.

On, h1n1
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

Peak school dismissal day in the spring phase of the pandemic. 980 schools were dismissed, affecting 607,778 students.

Just because it didn't happen here, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If you can't figure out what the difference is between the h1n1 response and the covid response, you aren't paying attention, or simply don't want to know.

1595810971405.png

1595811024766.png

You surely understand ALL the per 100 K COVID numbers are going to increase, right? That this isn't done? That we are at absolute best, 10% through this?

1595822953694.png

Last edited:
All these regulations and safety requirements the government has put on the automobile industry has made it so that it costs so much to produce automobiles that no one can afford them. It's absolutely crushed the auto industry. No one even drives anymore. It doesn't make sense since deaths in automobile accidents are way down anyway. Stupid liberals fixing a problem that doesn't exist. It used to, but it doesn't anymore.

Look how few children are dying from the virus! I'm sure that closing down schools or the fact that I rarely see kids out in public anymore has nothing to do with it. CC Track Fan's charts prove that what we are doing is stupid. We closed down schools and colleges for what? All these restrictions and safety measures we have imposed on people under 25 years old are BS. Those aren't the people getting sick and dying. It's the people that don't have as many safety measures imposed on them that are getting sick and dying at a higher percentage.

Total number of deaths for children under 1 seems to be something that should have more attention.

5 months into this and just the simplest solution of being able to test and have those tests results available in a reasonable time so that proper tracing can be done so that the spread can be contained. STILL NOT DONE!!!! We can all complain until we are blue in the face, but Federal response is a failure. If this was done way back in March or April or May or June, we would be able to open things up and move on. Instead, we have Florida! We have Texas. We have Arizona. We have California. We have Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.... We might have Georgia! But let's defend this incompetence! Let's act like 5 year olds and call it the China Virus. Let's blame the previous administration and have idiots believe that! Testing and Tracing! How many times did we have to hear that? Get these morons out of the way and get people in that have a basic understanding of anything. Get all these bums off unemployment and back to work at jobs they aren't allowed to be back at!!! Perhaps we all need to read Lord of the Flies again. The forest is burning and it would be nice if there were some grown ups around.

Last edited:
The GMAC announced on Tuesday that it is delaying the commencement of fall sports practices until August 28 and is also delaying the start of fall sports competition until September 24. Ohio schools affected are: Findlay, Tiffin, Lake Erie, Walsh, Malone, Ohio Dominican, Ursuline, and Cedarville. Ashland is joining the league next fall. The league also has full members from 4 other states (Hillsdale (MI), Ohio Valley (WV), Kentucky Wesleyan (KY), and Trevecca Nazarene (TN)) plus 5 associate members from WV (Davis and Elkins, Wheeling, and Alderson Broaddus) and PA (Seton Hill and Mercyhurst).

Does anyone else feel they are in the twilight zone?

I just went back to an older thread about track happening last spring
“I find it increasingly difficult to believe there will be a spring sports season AT ALL this year “. The same attacks by runningman101, bandaid solutions to major concerns, and empty pleas to have a season to no one.

Goodbye everybody, I’ve got to go. Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.