Votes: 1 2.9%
  • New Philadelphia

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • West Holmes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wooster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I agree with everything said about travel concerns. So okay let's look at an OCC 7 team scenario. Lex. Mansfield, and Madison all had to pick up that extra non conference game in football. Those teams were Sandusky, Columbus St. Charles, Thomas Worthington, Canton South, Maple Heights and others. Some of these were of course home games but it's not going to work out that way every year. Madison and Lex did play River Valley an Marion Harding out of the MOAC but the MOAC has 8 teams now so those teams are not available now. While it may be easier to schedule basketball. It will also involve traveling to Columbus, Sandusky, or other areas of northwest Ohio to pickup games.
So traveling traveling to me is inevitable unless someone can convince say the Shelbys and Ontarios to join and then get the Eastern teams to accept.

Football and basketball could take a trip to Columbus, which is still closer then Dover, but it does not force the JH teams to make long trips. It does not force other sports to take long trips they do not want to make. This choice involves more then just 1 or 2 sports.

Why is there no problem with the travel to Phila compared to Dover? Competitiveness maybe? I'm sure Lexington would want to make the trip if they felt they could win...

I know back then when it was the old Cardinal Conference,they made those trips and yes everyone says gas was. cheaper but so was the wages of everyone was cheaper too,

Why is there no problem with the travel to Phila compared to Dover? Competitiveness maybe? I'm sure Lexington would want to make the trip if they felt they could win...
The records show Lexington voted no for the addition of New Phila. The difference is now, Mansfield and Madison are having second thoughts about adding another school with that amount of travel. New Phila was a single trip with some sports making every other season. It has nothing to do with competition. I would not say that Dover never gets in, but since some schools have had travel issues and late weeknights, this distance is now more of a discussion.

Last time I drove it, Dover is closer than NP off of 250/77. That doesn't mean I liked those trips any better now than waaay back in HS.

The difference from Mansfield Sr to Dover HS and Mansfield Sr to New Phila HS is 3.5 miles so for the conversation we can say they are the same.

I can very much assure everyone that Lex is not worried about competitiveness. Lexington prides itself on playing good sound competition whether it football, basketball or bowling. They have a history of playing up and having very strong schedules.

It would be a great thing for Dover to be accepted, Lots of great facilities,I would love to go to Tyger stadium
I recently heard that if just 2 schools object Dover would not be accepted, I would be shocked if Dover gets in, would be nice if we can get some games as a non member though.

Ashland made all of its free throws at the end of the game.
I am surprised this game was close enough to be decided by free throws. Ashland under Jason Hess has not been known for their defense and yet they hold Mansfield to 49 points and win the game with free throws. Ashland did not score from the field in the 4th quarter but was put in the foul line 16 times in 8 minutes making 14 of them

Last edited:
I can very much assure everyone that Lex is not worried about competitiveness. Lexington prides itself on playing good sound competition whether it football, basketball or bowling. They have a history of playing up and having very strong schedules.
Lexington scheduling up in basketball this year because of a talent up swing. Why are they willing to travel the distances they are now for basketball but not to Dover? Could it be because they know they can compete with those teams so are willing to travel to play that competition? Makes my point. Look at some of those trips on their basketball schedule.

The records show Lexington voted no for the addition of New Phila. The difference is now, Mansfield and Madison are having second thoughts about adding another school with that amount of travel. New Phila was a single trip with some sports making every other season. It has nothing to do with competition. I would not say that Dover never gets in, but since some schools have had travel issues and late weeknights, this distance is now more of a discussion.
It has everything to do with competition... but You are right in one area and that I should have added Mansfield and Madison as not wanting to make the trips because of competition. Lexington wanted nothing to do with Phila either...

Lexington scheduling up in basketball this year because of a talent up swing. Why are they willing to travel the distances they are now for basketball but not to Dover? Could it be because they know they can compete with those teams so are willing to travel to play that competition? Makes my point. Look at some of those trips on their basketball schedule.
Lexington has always scheduled good teams or programs, so it's not a result of talent. Over the years they have played Ottawa Glandorf, Berlin Hiland and Olentangy Liberty, but typically schedule the better teams in their NW District area like Norwalk, Huron, Sandusky, Columbian, Perkins, Clyde and Bellevue. These team's coaches vote on district players and district seeding. The 2 farthest trip on their schedule have traditional connections. You have no point, only a sad attempt at taking a shot against a school that will not vote you into the OCC because you are 70 miles away. :)

It has everything to do with competition... but You are right in one area and that I should have added Mansfield and Madison as not wanting to make the trips because of competition. Lexington wanted nothing to do with Phila either...
The possibility of a NO vote has nothing to do with competition. It have everything to do with location. Dover has solid sport and good facilities. Both of which the OCC teams enjoy. But, there is a reason that in regular season non-league play that WH, Wooster and Ashland are the only ones that may play Dover. And I'm not sure about WH.
The vote to include Phila was discussed with the community at a meeting and it was heard many times, the concerns for school night travel if they were in the league.

The possibility of a NO vote has nothing to do with competition. It have everything to do with location. Dover has solid sport and good facilities. Both of which the OCC teams enjoy. But, there is a reason that in regular season non-league play that WH, Wooster and Ashland are the only ones that may play Dover. And I'm not sure about WH.
The vote to include Phila was discussed with the community at a meeting and it was heard many times, the concerns for school night travel if they were in the league.
I'm not really surprised, but according to crawforcountybasketball.com., Mansfield Senior has never played Dover in basketball--never.

I suppose that I can blame U.S. 250 for that, but Mansfield Senior's historic ties to old northwest Ohio Buckeye Conference foes and Toledo City League schools for good non-conference matchups have always been and continue to be strong. When Mansfield Senior ADs looked east for good non-league basketball opponents, it was always Massillon, Canton city schools and for a while Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary, not teams in Tuscarawas County.

And trips down I-71 to play Columbus area schools are pretty easy.

Just out of curiosity I checked on the all time record of Dover basketball against OCC schools.I am not sure what Mansfield consolidations consisted of
Madison 21-34
Malabar 16-16
Senior 3-1
Wooster 60-43
New Philadelphia 131-105
Ashland 17-44
West Holmes 18-6
Mount Vernon 5-0

most of the games likely came during the 1950s thru the 1980s a period of time that Dover had a losing record in all 4 decades.

personally I don’t believe Dover would dominate in any sport except for perhaps swimming but would be a tough out in most male sports.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity I checked on the all time record of Dover basketball against OCC schools.I am not sure what Mansfield consolidations consisted of
Madison 21-34
Malabar 16-16
Senior 3-1
Wooster 60-43
New Lexington 1-0
New Philadelphia 131-105
Ashland 17-44
West Holmes 18-6
Mount Vernon 5-0

most of the games likely came during the 1950s thru the 1980s a period of time that Dover had a losing record in all 4 decades.

personally I don’t believe Dover would dominate in any sport except for perhaps swimming but would be a tough out in most male sports.
The New Lexington Panthers are in south central Ohio. No where near the Lexington Minutemen of the OCC. Lex is 0-0 against Dover. Dover may be strong in swimming, but but better not sleep on the OCC, I know Wooster and Lex are pretty solid.

The New Lexington Panthers are in south central Ohio. No where near the Lexington Minutemen of the OCC. Lex is 0-0 against Dover. Dover may be strong in swimming, but but better not sleep on the OCC, I know Wooster and Lex are pretty solid.
Ok I will delete. My reasoning for posting that was to show how competitive it was back in the day and Dovers recent games with Wooster and Ashland have been about 50-50. Football wise Ashland split a 6 game series,Dover beat Wooster in all 3 but all but 1 was very close. Dover/ phila is about 50/50 anymore.

Crawford county basketball historian has Malabar at 18-18 with Dover but Mansfield Sr never playing them. Fun facts but it does not change any teams location.

More drama at West Holmes,a friend of mine that teaches at the highschool, said there varsity coach resigned this morning and his boy quit the team too, it's a never ending saga at WH, especially in basketball

More drama at West Holmes,a friend of mine that teaches at the highschool, said there varsity coach resigned this morning and his boy quit the team too, it's a never ending saga at WH, especially in basketball
5 coaches in 6 years is not a good look or an attractive place for a coach to go.