Ohio and surrounding states need to do better

Need to add a Fla. school to the BIG for recruiting imprint into Fla. Adding USC and UCLA will help with recruiting into California. Adding Rutgers and Md. did nothing for recruiting was only done for tv exposure.
The adding of Rutgers and Maryland was done for tv revenue reasons, but those two states have been B1G recruiting hotbeds for a long time now anyway. They both produce a good number of recruits and many elite recruits.

And sitting in the hottest hotbed for HS football hasn’t done a whole lot for Texas and Texas A&M over the past few decades now. They’ve had blips, but not the sustained success of Ohio State.

The adding of Rutgers and Maryland was done for tv revenue reasons, but those two states have been B1G recruiting hotbeds for a long time now anyway. They both produce a good number of recruits and many elite recruits.

And sitting in the hottest hotbed for HS football hasn’t done a whole lot for Texas and Texas A&M over the past few decades now. They’ve had blips, but not the sustained success of Ohio State.
Bad coaching at Texas schools, that is why I am not in a big hurry to fire Day, but Nebraska's fall came after leaving the Big 12 why their recruiting was based on Tx. kids no longer getting those players since moving to the BIG.

Longhorns and Aggies both get a lot of in-state recruits that are generally much more polished/less room for growth than other hotbed states due to the resources Texas schools make available for football. It's a huge hotbed because you have a lot of gargantuan school districts with massive football budgets and guys making 80k+ solely to be the head football coach.

Resources are a big issue. There are an enormous amount of smaller school districts in Ohio compared to southern states, and African-Americans in Ohio and in the midwest are overwhelmingly concentrated in urban school districts with poor financial resources for athletics. Consolidation and having large schools allows for lucrative athletic spending in a lot of southern hotbeds.

How are you going to do it? Producing elite athletes is all about the genes. You can have a kid start youth football at age 3, get personal trainers and gurus, have spring football, 7 on 7 summer leagues, make all state four years in a row…but without certain physical and athletic traits…which are genetic…he’s not a D1 college recruit.

Are you going to start a program of matchmaking men and women with elite genetics, disperse them throughout the Midwest, demand all their male offspring focus on football and that they are loyal to State U from birth?

I’m seriously not understanding how you can remedy the demographics of the USA. People are moving south and west.
Need to get more big black athletes in Ohio and the Midwest to play football. I heard somewhere that the nuclear family is more existent for the black community in the southeast which leads to more of them playing football. It doesn’t exist nearly as much in the Midwest and Ohio mostly because of too much government control in families lives.

We should be very thankful to Ted Ginn Sr because he goes out and gets these kids to play football and is a surrogate father to a lot of them.

The talent is down south and in Kalifornia for whatever the reasons. Penn. Ohio, Ill, NJ pop is just as big as the south and average age is not that much different it comes down to priorities football is not as important in Ohio as it once was just look at the attendance figures at the state championship games. Ohio is no longer a football state.
Big Ten needed to get Texas or needs a footprint in Florida. California is losing population very fast now because nobody wants to live under Gavin Newsome.

Need to get more big black athletes in Ohio and the Midwest to play football. I heard somewhere that the nuclear family is more existent for the black community in the southeast which leads to more of them playing football. It doesn’t exist nearly as much in the Midwest and Ohio mostly because of too much government control in families lives.

We should be very thankful to Ted Ginn Sr because he goes out and gets these kids to play football and is a surrogate father to a lot of them.
If you’re talking about black population in general, in the north the black community is mostly prevalent in urban areas where football is not the main sport typically. In the southern states almost every town, big and small, has a sizable black population and football is the thing to do in those towns the same as it is in Ohio. But most Ohio and northern USA small towns do not have the black population.

Football in the north, and in Ohio, flourished when blacks moved up to Ohio in the Great Migration to escape the poverty of the South and work in the northern factories.

In the past few decades there has been a reverse migration to the South. And whites are moving the same direction.

. I heard somewhere that the nuclear family is more existent for the black community in the southeast which leads to more of them playing football. It doesn’t exist nearly as much in the Midwest and Ohio mostly because of too much government control in families lives.
OK, I’ll bite out of genuine curiosity. What does “government control” have to do with nuclear families? And what is meant by “government control”?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

If you’re talking about black population in general, in the north the black community is mostly prevalent in urban areas where football is not the main sport typically. In the southern states almost every town, big and small, has a sizable black population and football is the thing to do in those towns the same as it is in Ohio. But most Ohio and northern USA small towns do not have the black population.

Football in the north, and in Ohio, flourished when blacks moved up to Ohio in the Great Migration to escape the poverty of the South and work in the northern factories.

In the past few decades there has been a reverse migration to the South. And whites are moving the same direction.
Basketball is the dominant sport in northern urban areas. California produces by far the most NBA players per state, with New York and Illinois solidly in the top-5 and Pennsylvania (almost entirely due to Philadelphia) in the top 7-8.

The "culture" of it matters, but there's a practical resources and environment aspect to it. Football requires a lot more equipment and green space, which is not exactly abundant in big cities. There are a hell of a lot of gyms multi-stories up from the ground in NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc., and all you really need is the ball.

OK, I’ll bite out of genuine curiosity. What does “government control” have to do with nuclear families? And what is meant by “government control”?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
More blacks on welfare. Black women can get pregnant in more liberal run states such as Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania and instead of having a man help her she has the government offering her free money.

Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana all have higher food stamp/SNAP usage per capita than Illinois (the highest northern and heavily liberal run state). You should probably find another talking point.

Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana all have higher food stamp/SNAP usage per capita than Illinois (the highest northern and heavily liberal run state). You should probably find another talking point.
As well as assessing priorities. I’ve been a rabid Buckeyes and college football fan my entire life, but Sparty is exponentially overrating the importance of college football in the pantheon of life on this planet and in any individual’s quality of life. I doubt Nick Saban himself places the importance of a college football team as highly as does Sparty.

As well as assessing priorities. I’ve been a rabid Buckeyes and college football fan my entire life, but Sparty is exponentially overrating the importance of college football in the pantheon of life on this planet and in any individual’s quality of life. I doubt Nick Saban himself places the importance of a college football team as highly as does Sparty.
the only person I’ve seen place similar high priority on amateur football is Pboy. I may have missed it, but I don’t believe Pboy dips into racism and misogyny when he has a meltdown over a game.

Spot on.

I worked in rural AL once and stopped at the local gas station/grocery. Guy behind me in line sounds like the biggest hick in the world. I turn to look as I leave and he is black. As I get in my truck I see him jump on his horse and ride off (no joke). Being from a Northern city that was very foreign to me.

The objective of Ohio HS football isn’t to be a feeder to Ohio St, especially when so many of the top programs are Catholic schools. Anyone who wants some type of IMG, Mater Dei program in Ohio is a f’n idiot.

Also, when Ohio St has been dominate, they’ve recruited nationally. Look at the 2014 roster:

Elliot- MO
Bosa- FL
Thomas- CA
Bell- GA
Apple- NJ

Last edited:
The objective of Ohio HS football isn’t to be a feeder to Ohio St, especially when so many of the top programs are Catholic schools. Anyone who wants some type of IMG, Mater Dei program in Ohio is a f’n idiot.
Nobody is asking for that, we just want more talent in the state across the board

Resources are a big issue. There are an enormous amount of smaller school districts in Ohio compared to southern states, and African-Americans in Ohio and in the midwest are overwhelmingly concentrated in urban school districts with poor financial resources for athletics. Consolidation and having large schools allows for lucrative athletic spending in a lot of southern hotbeds.
That's not the issue.

Spot on.

I worked in rural AL once and stopped at the local gas station/grocery. Guy behind me in line sounds like the biggest hick in the world. I turn to look as I leave and he is black. As I get in my truck I see him jump on his horse and ride off (no joke). Being from a Northern city that was very foreign to me.
Yes I completely agree and it’s CRAZY. When I lived in Southern Virginia I noticed the same thing. The north will never be able to compete with something like that

Yes I completely agree and it’s CRAZY. When I lived in Southern Virginia I noticed the same thing. The north will never be able to compete with something like that
Unsure my story means the North will never be able to compete with something like that? Something like what? In NWOhio there is a community that was founded by black sharecroppers who came here and farmed small plots. As time goes by their youth do not pick up the trade so to speak same as in the South. I think the biggest difference in general is the South and West are growing and places like the Midwest, by and large, is not. Our population in Ohio is aging which has been mentioned. There is certainly a cultural difference and it does have an impact but the larger problem is youth population which nwwarrior pointed out previously.

Unsure my story means the North will never be able to compete with something like that? Something like what? In NWOhio there is a community that was founded by black sharecroppers who came here and farmed small plots. As time goes by their youth do not pick up the trade so to speak same as in the South. I think the biggest difference in general is the South and West are growing and places like the Midwest, by and large, is not. Our population in Ohio is aging which has been mentioned. There is certainly a cultural difference and it does have an impact but the larger problem is youth population which nwwarrior pointed out previously.
The amount of black people in rural areas is something Ohio cannot match. That’s what I was referring to

Last night only proved moreso that the midwest needs bigger, longer, faster athletes if they want to compete. Becoming too hard to go into the southeast and recruit if you're a midwest team.

Last night only proved moreso that the midwest needs bigger, longer, faster athletes if they want to compete. Becoming too hard to go into the southeast and recruit if you're a midwest team.
Again, how are you going to populate the MW and NE with all of these stud prospects?

Again, how are you going to populate the MW and NE with all of these stud prospects?
The midwest needs to bring back jobs that attract the average hard working tough americans. The techy jobs aren't going to produce the big time football players

The midwest needs to bring back jobs that attract the average hard working tough americans. The techy jobs aren't going to produce the big time football players
People aren’t moving to Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Phoenix, Vegas, Nashville and others for the type of jobs you’re describing, but the football in all of those places continues to improve…mainly because the raw population numbers and young families are increasing exponentially.

People aren’t moving to Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Phoenix, Vegas, Nashville and others for the type of jobs you’re describing, but the football in all of those places continues to improve…mainly because the raw population numbers and young families are increasing exponentially.
I agree, there needs to be all types of jobs brought back to the midwest.

How many fatherless homes do they have with minority children? That's the problem. Need data on the nuclear family. How many women are having children without a man in the home? Regardless, 58% of the black population is in the southeast and the best talent comes from Florida, Georgia, California, Texas. Two of those states in the southeast

Last edited: