Obtaining a Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the patent? An alert on your computer anytime the word "MoeDude" is typed anywhere on an internet blog?

:laugh: His computer must have lit up like a Holiday Tree and crashed when I posted this baby:

MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude
MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude
MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDudee MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude
MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDudee MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude MoeDude

*Relax Moedude, it's just a joke. No need to use e_p's MoeBot.

:laugh: His computer must have lit up like a Holiday Tree and crashed when I posted this baby:

I wanted to do a "fyp" to suckit, but it gets too weird in quote mode.

Something must be lost a little in the 4:3 aspect ratio of my tablet's screen, but your creativity is completely destroyed once the side-ads kick in. You must have made this in 16:9 ? Art before commerce ! .....just sayin'.....

MoeDude-- the Cincinnati Library has a lot of resources to help you with a patent. In fact, the main library hosts the Inventors' Council of Cincinnati monthly where you can network with other inventors.

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/features/patents.asp

NKU's library also offers free seminars on patents, trade marks and intellectual property protection.

http://ipac.nku.edu

Thanks e_p I'll check it out.

Has anyone heard from #JustSayin lately. I haven't seen him post in awhile.

I have a fried that thought it would be a good idea to develop a Teflon
based formula for house paint. His 'market' target would be for those
people that own mobile homes (trailers), and his Ad campaign would be
something along the lines of... 'the paint that gets the tornados to slip
right on by'.

"Cyclone-X" The anti-cyclone paint!

U.S. patent pending.

;)

:>---

Thanks ohiopup, I'll check it out. I'm surprised I didn't see that one pop up on my searches.

MoeDude: Take it from one who learned the hard way as a younger man:

The value of intellectual property is valued in a completely wrong way by John Doe inventor. The value of a patent is NOT how much you can make in selling your product. It's worth that... MINUS how much you are willing to spend to defend your patent against infringement.

In other words, let's say you've got something that will revolutionize electronic communication. Do you have the means to, though lawsuits, stop Apple or Microsoft or Sony or Nokia or anyone else from China or elsewhere from developing and selling your product? Probably not. They will litigate you into an early grave. So, let's say you've made a product that will make pretty good sales, but will not draw the attention of large companies. Thousands for a patent will drive up your costs and significantly decrease your profit margin. And, if you've made a product that will have modest sales, what's the point?

Unless you've invented a new form of nuclear power, my advice is to forget the patent... make the product and sell as many as you can before someone else decides to compete. Put your time and money into prototype and product... and fast, fast, fast marketing.

The other thing you should be aware of is that you make money on your idea when you have some difficulty entering the market... the product is unique and hard to make, profit margins are modest, etc. Take this guy for example: http://www.finewoodornaments.com/ . Watch the video under his News and Events link... it's fascinating seeing how he has developed the mass manufacture of this product. Then look at the stats of his various styles... every single one is sold out. To me, this guy is hitting the right business model... put your time and money into the product.

Good luck.

Not sure I'd skip obtaining/applying for the patent. He may not defend it vigorously because it isn't financially viable, but having that protection can put a barrier to entry for the Joe Blows.

Not sure I'd skip obtaining/applying for the patent. He may not defend it vigorously because it isn't financially viable, but having that protection can put a barrier to entry for the Joe Blows.

Joe Blow? You mean the guy from Podunk, Arkansas who sells the same product because he saw it on your website and can make it cheaper because he's got his own machine shop... and he's 2-3 years into stealing your sales before you even discover he exists... and then you find out from your PI attorney that to litigate against the guy requires a $25,000 retainer and $320 an hour... $400 if it actually goes to court... PLUS expenses? Yeah... brilliant.

What was your business that it's so easily replicated Tom? And why are you so inept at researching competition? Your advice is to not have any protection and let this guy continue to eat your lunch? Suffer from low T much?

Anyway, having a patent in hand also assists in attracting additional capital to expand your business, unless you're a vag who rolls over when someone steals your business model like Tom. No angel investor wants to be involved with a business owner like that. And if you haven't patented this idea forget about selling the technology/design for royalties or partnerships.

Again, if you have an idea worth protecting, you get a patent.

Ep, you make good points and I guess it depends on how many people will use your product. But it is well known that a patent or idea is only worth what you can spend in court protecting it. I would probably get the patent, you never know it could be worth fighting for.

Joe Blow doesn't have the resources to spend time in court defending a patent infringement case either. Not sure why Tom would be so scared to defend his business or at least attempt to defend it against those small business owners.

You can't protect an idea/product/design you haven't patented. And, maybe more importantly, you can't sell or license an idea/product/design. Of course the patent holder has to decide if it's worth the money and time to defend his patent, but at the very least it gives you some leverage.....without it you're just Tom watching some dude take his stuff.

I'm not telling MoeDude to get a patent since I have no idea if it's a worthwhile idea, but I'm not going to tell him not to do it.....that's just dumb.

Really? That's interesting. Care to give an example?

I wouldn't say its interesting, but here's a quick example....

Unless you've invented a new form of nuclear power, my advice is to forget the patent...

Also, aren't you the guy who gave out bizarre advice about there being no bond between parents and adult children? I think you were really proud of your sister for kicking her gay child to the curb and wanting nothing to do with them. If that wasn't you, then ignore this as one of your bad advice examples.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its interesting, but here's a quick example....

Also, aren't you the guy who gave out bizarre advice about there being no bond between parents and adult children? I think you were really proud of your sister for kicking her gay child to the curb and wanting nothing to do with them. If that wasn't you, then ignore this as one of your bad advice examples.

:laugh: Yep he's the guy and that is precisely what I was thinking about:

And my sister loves her daughter... but it doesn't mean she has to alter her views on the morality/immorality of her daughter's lifestyle, or how she runs her own life. Everyone makes choices. If the daughter can't live with the terms of the relationship, she can go live her life. It would be painful for my sister, but that's the price one pays for sticking to their views of the truth, and her integrity is more important than a fake relationship.

As far as the "flesh and blood" thing goes... once they are adults, there's no more of a tie between parent and child than there is between any other two people. Relationships are CHOICES, and those choices are conditional. Many want the mother of the gay child to modify her life, but few ever demand that the gay child modify theirs to maintain the relationship with the mother. If they do require it, they are (and the mother is) "intolerant," "bigoted," "hateful." It's hypocritical.

Chick-fil-a :laugh:

Joe Blow doesn't have the resources to spend time in court defending a patent infringement case either. Not sure why Tom would be so scared to defend his business or at least attempt to defend it against those small business owners.

You can't protect an idea/product/design you haven't patented. And, maybe more importantly, you can't sell or license an idea/product/design. Of course the patent holder has to decide if it's worth the money and time to defend his patent, but at the very least it gives you some leverage.....without it you're just Tom watching some dude take his stuff.

I'm not telling MoeDude to get a patent since I have no idea if it's a worthwhile idea, but I'm not going to tell him not to do it.....that's just dumb.

I concur. It may be a thin wall of protection but the patent may hold off some who would not be willing to spend their own money if it did go to litigation, or slow others down. Having no patent is like saying "here's my idea you are welcome to make money off it."

What was your business that it's so easily replicated Tom? And why are you so inept at researching competition? Your advice is to not have any protection and let this guy continue to eat your lunch? Suffer from low T much?

Anyway, having a patent in hand also assists in attracting additional capital to expand your business, unless you're a vag who rolls over when someone steals your business model like Tom. No angel investor wants to be involved with a business owner like that. And if you haven't patented this idea forget about selling the technology/design for royalties or partnerships.

Again, if you have an idea worth protecting, you get a patent.

How do you know? Have you been through this process? Ever actually MET with an IP attorney? Yeah.. I thought not.

Angel investor... how big a rube are you? I've consulted on numerous mergers and acquisitions of 8-figure amounts... "angel investor?" You've got pretty big internet balls calling me inept when you don't have ANY idea what you're talking about. The days of "angel investing" went out with the tech boom.

Selling the design? HA HA HA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! JOHN DOE INVENTOR doesn't "sell his design." Only those who are in love with their own intellect believe that whatever they cooked up in their garage is the next intermittent windshield wiper and that buyers will be lining up to get it... and be willing to pay big money for it. Go ahead and live in your little utopian fantasy land... but I have been through this, and know the real world. About 99.99% of all "inventions" LOSE money for their creators. Out of the 1/10,000 that make money, only about 1 in 1,000 make life-changing money. Of my TWO patents, NEITHER of them were worth the paper they were printed on. One product made nothing for me, the other has and still does for 20 years now... but NOT because of the patent... PERIOD.

If you want to spend GOOD money on researching the product... take it to an industry engineer or designer, get an NDA signed and then ask them for their assessment about ease of duplication... AND ease of substitution by some other product or process. Then take it to a professional marketing firm, get an NDA signed, and inquire about market research (oh, that'll only cost a few thousand to hire a firm of any reputation.... so, go ahead). Have them ask this question: does the market NEED this product? Usually, the answer is no.

btw - most people never get to the patent stage anyway. After you find out how much it costs just to have the research done to see if the product is even eligible for a patent, you're thousands in... most find out that their product basis... whatever technology, design, etc... is NOT patentable anyway (many people will find that out in initial IP consultation, finding they are saying "patent" but the IP attorney will tell them they actually should pursue a copyright or other IP protection). But, in the end, I started making money with my tool design once I decided "to hell with that" and put my attention into building it in the most inexpensive manner and marketing the product.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo0k9htlQPY The guy falls in love with his own design, even wins some TV contest on best design, blah blah blah. But, ask professional woodworkers and auto mechanics what they think... and they'll laugh at it. Why pay near $200 for something that a set of cheap sawhorses and a couple spring clamps will do? It's out there... and sales are, well, disappointing after the initial surge from the TV show. Thousands of people submit their products for TV shopping channels like QVC... and only about 1% get any time at all to demo... and only about 1% of those get any air time.

So, I'm glad you AGREE with me that "if you have an idea worth protecting, you get a patent." What you are naively leaving out is how you assess the "worth" part. If you're not going to make life-changing money on it - FORGET IT and make and sell the damn product. Just ask Hartville Tool about their dovetail jig and why they don't make it or sell it any more. You can find it anywhere, in any woodworking catalog, like Rockler's and others... but it's not HT's. It's under any one of about 20 other names. For a $99 product with moderate sales, how far do you think a patent got them? That's right... NOWHERE. More expensive to litigate than it was worth. Oh, but of course... you're the expert in this area and I'm just inept... so don't pay attention to anything I have to say on the matter.

btw - don't use phrases like "steal your business model." First, it makes no sense and, second, it just makes you sound like some low-level cube monkey who was standing in the hall outside the door of a 1995 board meeting and picked up some fad colloquialism.

Last edited:

Yes... but that's not quite what I said. The bond between a parent and a grown child is not a moral issue... it's a CHOICE. There is no OBLIGATION there. And, so, this "default" notion that a parent has to violate their own personal views to accept their grown child's lifestyle is nonsense. This modern-day "feel-good we-have-to-accept-everyone family-of-man let's-all-join-hands-and-sing-kumbayyah" trend is just an extension of the inability to cogitate through a concept and come to a conclusion logically, to set a foundation of who you are... and then be willing to stand up for your principles. And that's the key part... being willing to stand on your principles and accept the consequences, even if that means alienation from your family... whatever. My niece can do it... why not her mother? Only because she's "not tolerant." Well, let me know when that finally becomes a two-way street.

I appreciate the fact that you remembered it was me who said that, though.

Lol. Good god ep just got spanked. After further review I withdrawal my comment about getting a patent and will do what Tom has suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.