Obligatory 2015 preview?

Wrong thread for this topic...
I'm not trying to make excuses, was rooting for Alter. Also never mentioned physical exhaustion...
Watt just didn't have it mentally to push through the pressure...
Alter was loose the whole way, and kept swinging.

Plus their coach melting down middle of game 5 didn't help.
They were down 3-7 in 5th to Walsh and came back. He just seemed to stop coaching after the red card.

Still not buying it. Watterson got to play their semifinal match before Alter the night before. Sure they played two more games, but they got an extra 2 hours of rest after their match was over.

Also, many of these kids play club and at those tournaments it is not unheard of for teams to play 9 or more sets in one day. If they were tired after 10 sets in two days maybe they should have done more conditioning

I am not arguing that the team was tired. I am stating that Storc and Randolph were probably a bit bushed. Imagine getting 20+ sets per game per match and on top of that jump serving every time you go back to serve. Now those 10 sets are looking pretty darn tiring. There is no doubt in my mind that conditioning had nothing to do with it and it had everything to do with over playing your top player.

So Im not buying your theory on 2 more hours of rest after two additional games should equal a more rested team. Also, if you think you play 9 sets in a day in club, you are out of your mind :rolleyes: There has never been a day that I have played/watched/heard of a team playing 9 sets in a day. If I had to play upwards of 27 games in one day my arm would fall off.

Also, if you think you play 9 sets in a day in club, you are out of your mind :rolleyes: There has never been a day that I have played/watched/heard of a team playing 9 sets in a day. If I had to play upwards of 27 games in one day my arm would fall off.

It's a moot point, but I thought Storc continued playing at high level. Randolph and the rest of Watterson were the ones that really seemed to drop off in the 4th and 5th sets.

By the way,

In Ohio High School Boys Volleyball: Sets = Games, Match = Best of 5 sets/games

Or in club volleyball: Sets = Games, Match = Best of 3 sets/games

:thumb:

It's a moot point, but I thought Storc continued playing at high level. Randolph and the rest of Watterson were the ones that really seemed to drop off in the 4th and 5th sets.

By the way,

In Ohio High School Boys Volleyball: Sets = Games, Match = Best of 5 sets/games

Or in club volleyball: Sets = Games, Match = Best of 3 sets/games

:thumb:

:laugh: omg.. I apologize for the game set match thing. My mind is making things up! I was gonna say, 9 matches in a day is absurd. But anyway... All I can say is mistakes were mad in games 4 and 5 that werent made in games 1-3. Whether that is from fatigue, or just being afraid to lose. It didnt look like the same team

In D1

East: Davidson favorite, Darby will find their way in because I can't see anyone else stepping up
South: Same as last year, X and Elder
West: Not sure... Centerville return would be nice
North: Eds and Iggy but they aren't going to have very much

D2
East: DeSales brings back solid core, but must replace a quality setter
Mt. Vernon has Rhodes, but idk what else
West: ALL alter
North: Hoban and Walsh will play another set of 5 setters next year, I personally like Walsh for next year
South: Mcnick and Roger Bacon both have one good player, but otherwise don't see much

In D1

East: Davidson favorite, Darby will find their way in because I can't see anyone else stepping up

D2
North: Hoban and Walsh will play another set of 5 setters next year, I personally like Walsh for next year
South: Mcnick and Roger Bacon both have one good player, but otherwise don't see much

Look out for Coffman in the East. They split with Darby in the regular season, return everyone, have a bunch of guys now playing club, and if they hire the right coach, they make just make the leap next year.
Another coaching change in the East will be Davidson. Jay Cauley is taking an assistant AD job and stepping down from boys vb.

Hoban keeps only 2 core players and will have a pretty down year. Can't see them making a big splash. Walsh only lost 1 player, it was their second middle. And from what I've heard, they have a 6'6 kid who was a freshman last year but really bought into and committed to volleyball. They should be a pretty heavy contender. I'd take Walsh in 3, maybe 4 on an off day.
In terms of D1, I could see Ed's getting the 1st seed in the north by a landslide, Ignatius is going to have a very down year. Ed's will make the semifinals and have the potential to make a splash, it will be interesting to see how their year goes.

Hoban keeps only 2 core players and will have a pretty down year. Can't see them making a big splash. Walsh only lost 1 player, it was their second middle. And from what I've heard, they have a 6'6 kid who was a freshman last year but really bought into and committed to volleyball. They should be a pretty heavy contender. I'd take Walsh in 3, maybe 4 on an off day.
In terms of D1, I could see Ed's getting the 1st seed in the north by a landslide, Ignatius is going to have a very down year. Ed's will make the semifinals and have the potential to make a splash, it will be interesting to see how their year goes.

I agree.. I think Hoban/Walsh will be closer, but otherwise I believe you're spot on!

I don't buy the whole 'Watt's best players were tired" excuse. If we're talking a state championship game, they had better be ready. This isn't a knock on Watterson, I just believe Alter had a more balanced Attack. Watterson was exceptional up until the 5th game.

I don't know if Watterson was tired, but they had been through the ultimate test.

Alter was a very good team, but in D2 you could honestly say that one of five teams were good enough to win the state title based on the day(Walsh, Watterson, Alter, DeSales, Mt Vernon)

This next year I think the best teams will be Walsh Jesuit, Archbishop Alter, DeSales, and maybe McNick(they bring back Connor Games but idk what else)

Mt Vernon and Hoban are ones to watch

I don't know if Watterson was tired, but they had been through the ultimate test.

Alter was a very good team, but in D2 you could honestly say that one of five teams were good enough to win the state title based on the day(Walsh, Watterson, Alter, DeSales, Mt Vernon)

This next year I think the best teams will be Walsh Jesuit, Archbishop Alter, DeSales, and maybe McNick(they bring back Connor Games but idk what else)

Mt Vernon and Hoban are ones to watch

I will say that the one to watch is the team that did not lose anyone from last year

I would make a couple of changes to your starting lineup for Elder in 2015

I think O'conner is the other starting outside instead of Hilvert.
Also, Matthew Olthaus at MH with Leubbe.
Plus I think Nathan Duke will see playing time

I think you're right. Olthaus is very solid - probably would have seen playing time on any other team (except maybe St. X) but was stuck behind quality MB depth at Elder.

Duke will be involved as well - as he's probably in line to become libero in 2016.

In D1

D2

DeSales has (arguably) the front runner for POY coming back in Feltz.

Roger Bacon has a really good outside and some pretty solid returning starters at OPP, MB, OH2 and L.

I will say that the one to watch is the team that did not lose anyone from last year

Um, appears he referenced Walsh (only 1 lost starter) and Alter (no lost starters) in the BEST category.

Ones to watch would be teams that are somewhat unknown entities... might be able to string together a great line up and pull some upsets...

I don't buy the whole 'Watt's best players were tired" excuse. If we're talking a state championship game, they had better be ready. This isn't a knock on Watterson, I just believe Alter had a more balanced Attack. Watterson was exceptional up until the 5th game.

Right, so they were exceptional up until the 5th game, what could've caused them to play differently in game 5? The pressure of 5th set? They had already survived two of those in the playoffs vs. local rivals, and one the night before vs. Walsh when they were down 3-7.

How do you guys think this season will compare to last?

Last year D2 had a lot of depth and D1 was relatively thin! Will it switch this year? How do you think it'll unfold(yes I know its a long way away but this is why online forums exist, to speculate about this stuff)

My guess is that you will have a top tier of three teams for most of the year.

Top tier (In no particular order)

Elder
St X
2nd Tier

Moeller
Davidson
Darby
DeSales
Mt Vernon
Walsh

After that I think you have another drop off

I think if you include Darby, Mt. Vernon, and Walsh, those are teams that I believe Ed's will be able to compete with, and possibly Hoban depending how they fill the holes of leaving players.

How do you guys think this season will compare to last?

Last year D2 had a lot of depth and D1 was relatively thin! Will it switch this year? How do you think it'll unfold(yes I know its a long way away but this is why online forums exist, to speculate about this stuff)

I believe it will flip.
Watterson and Fenwick will not be contenders. The final four will still be great, but not as much competition at the regionals as last year. Heck, great DeSales and Mt. Vernon teams didn't even get to the regional finals.

DI should be deeper as lots of top programs were young last year.

1. California
2. Illinois
3a. Wisconsin
3b. Hawaii
4a. Ohio
4b. New York

Off the top of my head I'd say something close to this. Where Wisconsin and Hawaii are comparable, and Ohio/New York are comparable. Maybe throw in Florida, Pennsylvania, Indiana as states just trailing

1. California
2. Illinois
3a. Wisconsin
3b. Hawaii
4a. Ohio
4b. New York

Off the top of my head I'd say something close to this. Where Wisconsin and Hawaii are comparable, and Ohio/New York are comparable. Maybe throw in Florida, Pennsylvania, Indiana as states just trailing

There is no way were comparable to teams like Pace and Long Island. And you have to include PA on here with teams like Yorketown and PVC

My personal opinion
1) Cali
2) Illinois
3) Hawaii
4) Pennsylvania
5) New York
6) Florida
7) Ohio
8) Wisconsin

Good list, but if you judge but top level talent and results, Wisconsin is ahead of Ohio. More college players and a recent 18 open winner.

Good list, but if you judge but top level talent and results, Wisconsin is ahead of Ohio. More college players and a recent 18 open winner.

I have to agree with you there, WI definitely above OH. Of the 19 states that I can think of that have clubs. Ohio being 8 is not a bad spot. Considering the top 3 are pretty elite. Granted the states below us are not great but being in the top half is always a good thing.

I could only think of:

Ohio, Cali, Illinois, New York, Maryland, Nevada, Penn, Virginia, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Indiana, Washington, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Mass, Conn, Florida, and Colorado.

Ohio, Cali, Illinois, New York, Maryland, Nevada, Penn, Virginia, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Indiana, Washington, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Mass, Conn, and Colorado.

New Jersey has decent boys volleyball - Warren Six Pak

Florida has tons

Georgia had a team at nationals (A5) in club division

Have never run into a team from Tennessee, but Louisville KY does have Fury and KIVA (open 17's)

And we can't forget Missouri in there with HP STL

New Jersey has decent boys volleyball - Warren Six Pak

Florida has tons

Georgia had a team at nationals (A5) in club division

Have never run into a team from Tennessee, but Louisville KY does have Fury and KIVA (open 17's)

And we can't forget Missouri in there with HP STL

Oh yea I forgot about Missouri and KY. Impact VC from TN sent a kid to Long Beach a few years ago. Definitely did not know Georgia has/had teams.

Oh yea I forgot about Missouri and KY. Impact VC from TN sent a kid to Long Beach a few years ago. Definitely did not know Georgia has/had teams.

Georgia A5 is brand new, I believe this was their first year! Impressive to see, I believe Atlanta, get a program going!

I think with Vanguard developing better talent at lower ages I think they're setting up a great program, could pass attack soon top to bottom

Georgia A5 is brand new, I believe this was their first year! Impressive to see, I believe Atlanta, get a program going!
It's pretty impressive what they've been able to achieve just since 2004 when it was legally formed. It's hard to know how long they've been "really competing" as a "real club program."

http://a5volleyball.com/page/1017/about_a5_volleyball.html

A5 Volleyball Club was formed in 2004 as a 501-C (3) non-profit corporation by a group of dedicated men and women who saw the opportunity to create a different club experience in Georgia, and in so doing raise the level of the sport throughout the South.

I lived in the Atlanta area for over a decade, and never heard anything about high school boys or college men's volleyball the entire time.

There sure as heck wasn't a Southern Volleyball Center back then.

http://southernvolleyball.com/about-southern-volleyball-center/

Amazingly, there isn't a single NCAA DI program in Georgia, and little Emmanuel College is trying to move from NAIA to NCAA DII.

http://www.goeclions.com/sports/mvball/index

I'm a little surprised that Emory hasn't at least tried to start a NCAA DIII varsity men's volleyball program, since they have such deep pockets.

A5 is a huge girls program with success at the open level.

Boys program just started last year...

No high school teams in the state.