Oac Jr high state Predictions or rankings

SBDWC

Looking at the Jr high state brackets they are pretty loaded with some studs. Looking for Predictions or Rankings of the Oac Jr High state tournament. This is no rankings, I made my predictions of who I thought would be finalist.
74 Krysty/Lambers
78 Limbert/Timar
84 Yarbrough/Mckinney
90 Clinton/Sanderfer
96 Joy/ Bennett
102 Wilson/Campbell
108 Campbell/Homan
114 Ayoub/ Vanderhors
120 Horvath/ Birden
126 Brown/ Androsik
132Grubb/?
138 Sell/?
146 Voinovich/?
154 Walker/ Seitz
164??
176 Shulaw/Neves
209 Slaper/?
Hvy Fockler/ Bowser

Last edited:

Huckleberry, Not saying it's definitely going to happen, but I do think there's a better than 50/50 chance. The ohsaa state tournament is extremely doubtful, whereas the oac is a distinct possibility. The oac has more flexibility to reschedule deeper into the summer while with schools being out, and with high school students with numerous other commitments and responsibilities scattered everywhere the ohsaa would have virtually no chance to organize the event. Also, with jr hi students having fewer responsibilities and commitments moving to a one day tournament with a 16 or 32 wrestler bracket could be a real possibility.

Remaining hopeful for rescheduling the event in some way, shape or form, but it won't be the same. Tough pill to swallow for the kids that have worked hard for the chance to realize their goals, but in the big picture considering all that has been lost over the last few weeks, it's not the end of the world. Congrats to all state qualifiers, and I hope this experience can be redirected into something positive in 2021 and beyond.

Last edited:
Huckleberry, Not saying it's definitely going to happen, but I do think there's a better than 50/50 chance. The ohsaa state tournament is extremely doubtful, whereas the oac is a distinct possibility. The oac has more flexibility to reschedule deeper into the summer while with schools being out, and with high school students with numerous other commitments and responsibilities scattered everywhere the ohsaa would have virtually no chance to organize the event. Also, with jr hi students having fewer responsibilities and commitments moving to a one day tournament with a 16 or 32 wrestler bracket could be a real possibility.
You are probably right. I would assume they will do everything in their power to put on a tournament. They need to salvage whatever revenue they can.

But it won’t be the same. Kids are growing, they haven’t been wrestling, etc, etc. Unfortunately, no matter what they do, this one will always have an asterisk beside it.

I would have to put Eddie Neitenbach in the finals at 120. Undefeated on the season winning Waynedale, Mechanicsburg, Twinsburg (MVW of the Tournament) and winning Norwalk District.

I would have to put Eddie Neitenbach in the finals at 120. Undefeated on the season winning Waynedale, Mechanicsburg, Twinsburg (MVW of the Tournament) and winning Norwalk District.
I not trying to hurt feelings but not sure how tough those tournaments are on a junior level. But if you said he was undefeated placing at Old Philo (6 to 8 years ago), being All-American at Virginia Holiday Duals or some other national duals. How does he do with Ethan Birden who I would say is best 120.

120 is a solid bracket (I think they all are). I think Bird could’ve made the HS podium this year.
I think Birden could of placed 113/120 in D1 high school this year. I don’t know how big he is or what he was cutting to get to some of the middle school events. What weight do you see him at next season for Dublin Coffman

Last edited:
I think Birden could of placed 113/120 in D1 high school this year. I don’t know how big he is or what he was cutting to get to some of the middle school events. What weight do you see him at next season for Dublin Coffman
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He should have been a 9th grader this year anyway.

Hard to say. Kid is all limbs right now, and still growing. But I would guess 26 or 32...somewhere between the two Ayoubs. Throw in the two Baumanns and everybody else they have coming back, and they have the makings of a pretty solid lineup.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He should have been a 9th grader this year anyway.

I'll never understand the flex of diminishing a kid's talent and accomplishments. Love to see you look his father in the eye and say that.

How hard is it to say something like "He's a special talent with a bright future", or just simply not say anything.

...oh and by the way, I think he would have been on the HS podium last year at 106 or 113. He's a special talent!

Last edited:
I'll never understand the flex of diminishing a kid's talent and accomplishments. Love to see you look his father in the eye and say that.

How hard is it to say something like "He's a special talent with a bright future", or just simply not say anything.

...oh and by the way, I think he would have been on the HS podium last year at 106 or 113. He's a special talent!
He is a special talent and has a bright future. If you really want that answer, why not look at the objective evidence? I know those weight classes well—and I am not sure he makes 113 this year, but if he did, you can look back at last year’s OAC and see how he fared against the top freshman this season. He lost a OT barnburner to Jett who Borofan has ranked number 5 in D1. Not sure if Birden or Jett progressed more since they last faced off, but I would guess Jett since he is in a HS room of a premier HS team and likely getting personalized training on top of that. If that’s the case, I think it’s reasonable to assume he would have a good shot at placing if he wrestled well in the State tournament...probably somewhere 5-8.
At 120, you see Kleinberg at number 10. He won that tough 108 class (by pulling out a tight win in the semis), before relatively handling Jett in the finals. The top kids in that weight class were studs indeed.
Obviously styles matter—I would say he would have to wrestle extremely well and would be a bit of an underdog to place at 120 but it is certainly doable for a kid like him. That jump from 113 to 120 is a doozy!
It’s not a perfect science with a lot of variables. Either way—you are wrong if you don’t recognize a stud When you see him. so don’t sleep on him next year.

Diminish what? Obviously YOU think that. It was pointed out that an 8th grader could have placed at the HS tournament this year. It's only REALLY significant if he hadn't been held back.

Diminish what? Obviously YOU think that. It was pointed out that an 8th grader could have placed at the HS tournament this year. It's only REALLY significant if he hadn't been held back.
Fair enough...if you go back to last year when he was a “true” 8th grader, you actually have to compare him to the 106 class. I look back at that class and would tell you in my eyes he had an even better chance of placing against the 2019 106 lb class (when he was 108 at OAC) than against the 2020 120 lb class (when he was at 120 for OAC). JMHO.

Fair enough...if you go back to last year when he was a “true” 8th grader, you actually have to compare him to the 106 class. I look back at that class and would tell you in my eyes he had an even better chance of placing against the 2019 106 lb class (when he was 108 at OAC) than against the 2020 120 lb class (when he was at 120 for OAC). JMHO.
Agree. Especially if it were in Crab Ride’s Utopia, where no kids were ever held back. I guess I stirred up a s#!+ storm by saying I think the kid is a good wrestler.

I have been lucky to be around some of the best junior high kids in the state for nearly 4 years now, and Bird is up there with the really good ones, in my opinion.

Agree. Especially if it were in Crab Ride’s Utopia, where no kids were ever held back. I guess I stirred up a s#!+ storm by saying I think the kid is a good wrestler.

I have been lucky to be around some of the best junior high kids in the state for nearly 4 years now, and Bird is up there with the really good ones, in my opinion.
That was a heckuva 108 group that year...

OK keyboard warrior, have an amazing day.
I’m having a great day! Sounds like you’re taking it personally. Holdbacks are legal and done by a lot of high end wrestlers and average wrestlers whose parents are looking for the advantage of wrestler younger kids or letting their kids mature. If you want it for your kid, go for it. Just don’t take to the forums talking about how a held back 8th grade would place in the HS tournament. Not to mention it’s a stupid proposition to begin with. As someone mentioned, Kleinberg for the example, didn’t even make the state tournament after winning a tough bracket at Jr. High the year before. Jett; who has improved a ton, rolls with Castro and Assad daily and was projected to be a lower end placer. No doubt this kid is ultra talented but this notion of where he places of he wrestled at HS in nothing more than conjecture.

Here is who I would've thought won it,
74- Neal Krysty
78- Colyn Limbert
84- Javaan Yarbrough
90- Brody Saccoccia
96- Jaxon Joy
102- Ty Wilson
108- Dillon Campbell
114- Chase Vanderhorst
120- Ethan Birden
126- Brayden Brown
132- Jack Lee
138- Elijah Jacks
146- Kael Voinovich
154- Wyatt Walker
164- Aydan George
176- Carter Neves
209- Johnny Slaper
249- Nick Bowser

I’m having a great day! Sounds like you’re taking it personally. Holdbacks are legal and done by a lot of high end wrestlers and average wrestlers whose parents are looking for the advantage of wrestler younger kids or letting their kids mature. If you want it for your kid, go for it. Just don’t take to the forums talking about how a held back 8th grade would place in the HS tournament. Not to mention it’s a stupid proposition to begin with. As someone mentioned, Kleinberg for the example, didn’t even make the state tournament after winning a tough bracket at Jr. High the year before. Jett; who has improved a ton, rolls with Castro and Assad daily and was projected to be a lower end placer. No doubt this kid is ultra talented but this notion of where he places of he wrestled at HS in nothing more than conjecture.
Isn’t that what I projected? That if he wrestled well he could place between 5-8 at 113 and would be an underdog to place at 120? That’s excellent in D1 whether he’s a freshman or hold back 8th grader. In fact, had Birden competed and placed in HS at 113 he would almost assuredly have been the ONLY true freshman to do so. There wasn’t another true freshman ranked in to Top 15.
But I guess in your mind that is “only REALLY significant if he hasn’t been held back.”
And for the record—The one who griped about his hold back status was you Crab Ride.

That was a heckuva 108 group that year...
I agree 108 was a pretty explosive bracket last year. With that being said, I wouldn’t sleep on Eugene Harney at 114. He finished 4th as a seventh grader last year at 108 and had some big wins nocking off Niedenbach and current freshman Christian Giltz who is ranked at 120. He also pinned projected 126# winner Braden Brown at Vac and gave Bird a solid match at Jr High State Duals. Chase Vanderhorse is solid but not sure if he can get a second win off of Omar Ayoub but definitely think Harney is very capable of surpassing both. Regardless it would some exciting matches that we will not be able to see.

Here is who I would've thought won it,
74- Neal Krysty
78- Colyn Limbert
84- Javaan Yarbrough
90- Brody Saccoccia
96- Jaxon Joy
102- Ty Wilson
108- Dillon Campbell
114- Chase Vanderhorst
120- Ethan Birden
126- Patrick Androsik Brayden Brown
132- Jack Lee
138- Keegan Sell Elijah Jacks
146- Kael Voinovich
154- Wyatt Walker
164- Aydan George
176- Carter Neves
209- Johnny Slaper
249- Nick Bowser
I have it pretty close to you--couple changes noted above.....

If Jude or Terry Young or any other OAC associates read the posts on Yappi I would like to throw out this suggestion. The first weekend in June is about the latest one might expect this tournament to happen. I would start the ball rolling now, see what type of response develops, and start planning accordingly. If it comes to pass, as the weekend gets closer, that the people in authority decide that it's still not safe, so be it, and there is no tournament; just a thought.