NXR Ohio Teams

isaacday34

I know Woodridge is for sure going and I would assume St. X will as well. Who else is competing and what are the chances anyone gets out?

Many teams from southwest and central Ohio attend this meet. I believe these teams have all attended the last 4-5 years on a regular basis. The drive is not bad for these teams at all- 3 hour range.
Olentangy Liberty
Olentangy Orange
Hilliard Davidson- the girls even went last year the day after the state meet. Gutsy performance.
Mason
Lebanon
Centerville
Troy
Lakota East
Beavercreek
St. Xavier

Other regulars: Solon Project, Wildcat Distance Club (St. Igantius), Medina, Woodridge.

Who else is competing and what are the chances anyone gets out?
I can't remember. What are the numbers for moving on? For teams and individuals. I also remember there being some sort of an at-large thing for individual runners and/or teams that were outside of automatically qualifying.

I'm most looking forward to seeing the St. X, Mason, and Woodridge boys going against each other and how they compare to the teams from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Missouri.

The competition in the girls race will also be interesting. Taylor Ewert will have her hands full with two runners in particular.

Katelynn Hart, a Michigan commit and last year's NXN MW winner, is running extremely well this season. In her Illinois regional, equivalent to Ohio's district meets, she ran 15:57. Illinois runs 3 miles for XC but that is a blazing time. It equates to a 5:19 pace or roughly a 16:31 for the 5,000. The course that it was run on, Camera Park in Chicagoland, is fairly flat and I have heard in the past that it might be a bit short. I can attest that it is a flat course but I don't know about the length. Last week in Hart's sectional meet, equivalent to Ohio's regional meets, Hart went 16:35. The Illinois state final is this upcoming weekend at Detweiller Park in Peoria. Detweiller is a true 3 miles but it is pretty flat so it wouldn't be worthwhile to read too much into her time. Hart has run. Hart's track PRs are 2:10.8, 4:38 (1600), 4:39.6 (mile), and 9:59.6 (3200).

Hart and Ewert had some good battles last year in the post-season. While Hart bested Ewert at the Midwest NXR, Ewert finished ahead of her at the NXN. At the MW FL race, Ewert bested Hart by 5 seconds while at the National FL, Hart was less than a second away from winning and bested Ewert by about 19 seconds.

Zofia Dudek, a senior from Ann Arbor, Mi, and the Michigan state champ last week in a time of 17:00 for 5,000, is also running well this year. She has already raced against Ewert this season, beating her at the MSU Spartan meet. Dudek took 1st in 17:09 while Ewert was 2nd in 17:17. Dudek has run under 17:10 six times this season with a season best of 16:47. Dudek's father is a visiting economics professor at the University of Michigan and she is a native of Poland. She has competed in the past for Polish junior national teams. She also has good track speed with a 1600 PR of 4:45.

She wouldn't be an Ohio entry but I'm wondering if female freshman phenom Tatum David of Richland HS in Illinois will be running in Terre Haute. Richland HS is not in the team list that Lancermania posted the link to but David may run as an individual.

This past Saturday was the Illinois HS XC championships. The Illinois championships are 3 miles, not 5,000 meters, and are run at Detweiller Park in Peoria. The Detweiller Park course is notoriously fast. The course is fast due to being relatively flat and not because it is "short." This past weekend marked the 50th anniversary of the Illinois XC championships being held at Detweiller. In 1970 the race became 3 miles. The few years prior to that the course was 2.67 miles. I bring up the "short" comment because of the fast times that are run at Detweiller. Invariably when times seem to be too fast, the "course must be short" comments arise. The course has been measured numerous times so more than likely it is accurate.

Back to Tatum David, this past weekend the freshman girl ran 16:04 to capture the 2A championship race. 2A in Illinois would be equivalent to Ohio's D2. That equates to roughly a 16:38 5,000 time. For comparison, senior Katelynn Hart of West Glenbard HS won the 3A race, 3A in Illinois is equivalent to Ohio's D1, in 16:05.8. When Hart was a freshman she ran 16:31 at Detweiller. As an aside, Hart has captured the ultra-competitive Illinois large school division in all four years of her high school school career. Her best time in the championship is 15:59.82. Judy Pendergast of Naperville North set the course record in 2015, a year before Hart's freshman year, running 15:54.

Also not an Ohio entry but senior Josh Methner of Arlington Heights Hersey should be running at Terre Haute. Hersey is listed as having a team entered. Methner narrowly eclipsed Craig Virgin's 47 year old Detweiller course record this past Saturday running 13:49.86. Virgin had the course record of 13:50.6. Methner's time equates to about a 5,000 time of 14:20. Over the past 10 to 15 years a few elite runners, including Chris Derrick and Lukas Verzbicas, have come close to Virgin's record but Methner finally nailed it. Methner is headed to join Ohioan Zach Kreft at Notre Dame next fall.

For anyone wondering, the weather this past Saturday in Peoria was perfect for XC - mostly sunny with temps in the mid 45s to 50 and negligible wind. The course was firm and fast.

Last edited:
Weather.gov forecast for Terre Haute on Saturday looks nearly perfect for XC: Partly sunny, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph in the morning.

Weather.gov forecast for Terre Haute on Saturday looks nearly perfect for XC: Partly sunny, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph in the morning.
Your the first person on here I can remember using weather.gov for forecasts. Thank you! I’ve been using it for years it’s easily the most accurate to project the conditions for meets.

I can’t wait to see the results but am disappointed that Mason is not running a full squad.

Your the first person on here I can remember using weather.gov for forecasts. Thank you! I’ve been using it for years it’s easily the most accurate to project the conditions for meets.

I can’t wait to see the results but am disappointed that Mason is not running a full squad.
I'm not sure Mason much cares a lot about this meet, but St. Xavier does. They qualified to Portland in back to back year for the NXN when Mike Mike Dehring was their head coach Both Woodridge and La Salle qualified in 2006. as an at large teams.

Last edited:
How does this work for the OHSAA? can you represent your school? Are you allowed to have coaches coaching? Is this a running dead period?

Live video of the races at the link below. Community 5K, Junior high coed 3K, and boys freshman/sophomore 5K races are already in the books. Girls freshman/sophomore 5K to begin shortly. Louisville sophomore Bobby Ganser finished 2nd in the Freshman/Sophomore race in an unofficial time of 16:19. The boys championship race is not until 3pm Eastern, girls to follow at 3:40pm.

Thus far, I've spotted team tents for Lebanon, Hilliard Davidson, and Beavercreek.

are the school coaches allowed to participate? Can u have school organized practices?
In the past St. Xavier ran as A.M.D.G. at the regional, then I think as Cincinnati track club at the national meet in Portland. Nike will not allow all star teams to run in the championship race (runners from more than one high school). They all must attend the same high school. I went to the regional meet the year St. Xavier finished second and talked to their coaches. The same coaches of the high school team were there as club coaches not the high school coaches.

I remember the first year St. Xavier qualifed as an at large team. the OHSAA said they couldn't allow St. Xavier to accept money from Nike. I argued with Deborah Moore that the meet was sanctioned by the national governing body in the USA, USATF and that Nike was a sponsor of USATF. She wouldn't budge. The very next year that got changed in the OHSAA by-laws by a vote of the member schools and St. Xavier qualified by coming in second at Terre Haute and could accept money from Nike. The previous year St. Xavier still went but the parents raised money to fund it.

Last edited:
Harry Custer of Medina takes the 2nd boys open race (the open races are split by alphabet) in 16:17. The course profile would seem to favor Woodridge's chances of finishing as the top boys team from Ohio.

Last edited:
Correction: Boys championship race is not until 3:40pm with girls championship race at 4:20. An extra section was needed for the boys open race, so everything after that is pushed back 40 minutes from the original schedule.

It's not an extra section. It was the time needed for my son to finish his race. He was running so good this year and fell ill with Bronchitis and ruined his season. He just wanted to come back for one race and run a good time and feel good about the work he put in. Horrible end. He better be a good cheerleader in one hour. I didn't think it was a good idea, but give him credit for trying. He was running 8th and 9th man for Woodridge until he got sick.

It's not an extra section. It was the time needed for my son to finish his race. He was running so good this year and fell ill with Bronchitis and ruined his season. He just wanted to come back for one race and run a good time and feel good about the work he put in. Horrible end. He better be a good cheerleader in one hour. I didn't think it was a good idea, but give him credit for trying. He was running 8th and 9th man for Woodridge until he got sick.

I see somebody can't wait until 3:40.

I have to sit at work and watch. Couldn't get off to go.

I honestly get more nervous than when I ran by 10 times.

Another reason to hate Nike- fireworks being shot off in daylight at the NXR Midwest Regional cross country meet.

Ohio sends 2 boys with Brown and Bronson placing 2nd and 3rd overall. St. X. gets state bragging rights by placing 9th w/ 336 pts. Woodridge was 11th w/ 362 pts. Illinois had 6 teams ahead of St. X. while Indiana had 2. It was not a particularly good showing for Ohio in the team competition. In addition to the top 2 Ohio boys who will be heading to Portland, Elliott Cook was 10th to make 2nd team all-Regional, and 3 Ohio boys made it onto the 3rd team all-regional team with Matt Duvall 15th, Justin Iler 18th, and Nathan Moore 19th. Moore was the only non-senior to finish in the top 21. 22nd place was a freshman from Carmel, IN.

Beavercreek girls placed 2nd in the team standings to earn an automatic trip to Portland. The Beavercreek top 5 ran 17:08, 17:56, 18:27, 18:56, and 19:27. Hilliard Davidson girls were 5th as a team. After making a strong charge up the hill in the 3rd kilometer to take a brief lead, Taylor Ewert placed 3rd overall with her 17:08, and a few other Ohio girls placed in the top 21 to earn all-regional honors: Grace Hartman 10th, Emily Bardwell 15th, Lauryn Mick 16th, Savannah Roark 17th, and Addie Engel 19th.

Nike will select 10 at-large teams to add to the top 2 teams in each regional who were automatic qualifiers. The top 5 individuals in each regional not on qualifying teams will also make the trip to Portland.

Last edited: