22-23 NWOAL Title Holder Predictions

What NWOAL Team is most likely to win at least a share of the 22-23 title?

• Archbold

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Bryan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Delta

• Evergreen

• Liberty-Center

• Patrick Henry

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Swanton

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Wauseon

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RW&B

Please vote for the Northwest Ohio Athletic League member most likely to win at least a share of Ohio's oldest conference.

I might be out of the loop, but is Archbold down? Shocking to see 11 votes and I'm the first to say them.....

I might be out of the loop, but is Archbold down? Shocking to see 11 votes and I'm the first to say them.....
They are very young and their best returning player is out for the time being. Plus PH, Swanton and Wauseon are all looking pretty strong right now.

I love P.H.'s defensive effort this year and they now work 9 guys into their rotation so I also like their depth. They need to sharpen their passing game though when facing a strong full court press. They also could use more scoring in the paint.

Last year was the first time in 17 years where P.H. managed to beat both Archbold and Wauseon.

They have a huge home game with Swanton on 1-5-23 to start off the NWOAL season.

Last edited:
First conference action among league favorites on January 5th we have:

Wauseon @ Liberty Center
Archbold @ Bryan
Swanton @ Patrick Henry

I had a person in the know from Archbold tell me that the Streaks will be down for a few years. They have some talent in Jr High but as we all know that doesn't always equate to great teams in high school. They thought getting out of the Sectional would be a great season. That is unheard of in Archbold.

You are counting out Archbold far to early. They have some really good shooters and play very hard. Don't count out the Streaks just yet. They may be a little down from past years but they will still hold their own and have a shot to win the NWOAL this season.

Did I see correctly...Pettisville beat Archbold???

That is correct.

I think this could be a wild year in the NWOAL.

Archbold, Delta, Liberty Center, Patrick Henry, Swanton, and Wauseon all have very solid squads. All 6 teams have certain strengths/weaknesses that could provide worthy games every league night.

As we head into league play tomorrow.

Swanton 9-0
Patrick Henry 8-1
Delta 6-1
Wauseon 6-4
Evergreen 5-3
Liberty Center 3-3
Archbold 5-4
Bryan 3-6

That is correct.

I think this could be a wild year in the NWOAL.

Archbold, Delta, Liberty Center, Patrick Henry, Swanton, and Wauseon all have very solid squads. All 6 teams have certain strengths/weaknesses that could provide worthy games every league night.
Evergreen and Bryan can also step up and surprise someone if they are having an off night.

Wauseon @ LC

Liberty has depth to throw at teams rotating 11 players, Wauseon seems like they stick with their main 6 maybe 7. LC was within 6 of Napoleon in the final minutes and led Wayne Trace by 5 at halftime. Wauseon has several good wins but has let lesser teams hang around with them at times.

Common Opponents:
Tinora LC 60-50 Wau 44-35
Napoleon LC 51-61 Wau 42-44

Wauseon 50 Liberty Center 46
Archbold 43 Bryan 40
Swanton 58 Patrick Henry 60 (double o.t.)

Wow, all league games were hotly contested. This season will be well balanced and highly competitive, as predicted by many observers and coaches!

That was a fun first night! We got about what we expected with all games being close.
PH is definitely the team to beat. I would not be surprised to see them run the table. You heard it hear first

Patrick Henry 10-1 1-0
Swanton 9-2 0-1
Delta 7-2 0-1
Archbold 7-4 1-0
Evergreen 7-4 1-0
Wauseon 7-5 1-0
Liberty 5-4 0-1
Bryan 3-8 0-1

Friday Schedule:
Patrick Henry @ Evergreen
Delta @ Bryan
Liberty @ Archbold
Swanton @ Wauseon

Toledo Blade Poll:

Division II

4. Wauseon 7-5
Division III
5. Swanton, 9-2
Division IV
1. Patrick Henry, 10-1

LC was up 2 or 3 going into the 4th quarter. Archbold got it done in the 4th quarter and I think I heard shot something like 90% from the free throw line and the refs were more than happy to call the soft stuff. LC played without a key starter in Chambers, really missed his slashing and playmaking so ended up settling for too many threes.

Makes sense...Archbold doesn't play a physical style of basketball...it's probably been like 8-10 years since they have had any physical guard play even.

Badenhop is in a tough spot with LC...from the outside looking in, it seems like Basketball is 3rd or 4th level of interest in that town.

Makes sense...Archbold doesn't play a physical style of basketball...it's probably been like 8-10 years since they have had any physical guard play even.

Badenhop is in a tough spot with LC...from the outside looking in, it seems like Basketball is 3rd or 4th level of interest in that town.
May have to go back to the Walker twins in the early 2010's for truly physical play at Archbold.

Badenhop is often behind the 8 ball especially lately with football making a run 3 of the last 5 years and only one of his 12 varsity players not playing football. Coach has improved his schedule the past couple years also, phasing out most of the BBC teams and replacing them with teams like Cardinal Stritch, OG, St Francis and Liberty Benton.
Last year, LC played a tough schedule and it paid off as they ended up with the 10 seed that upset the 5 and 6 seeds before running into Eastwood. The latest Martin RPI has LC(5-6) at 10th again right now with the 8th highest OWP%, but the #1 OOWP% and the #2 SSF. So, scheduling bigger teams who also play tough schedules.
On the flip side a team like Delta(9-2) sits at #3 with the 13th(last place) OWP%, 10th OOWP% and 11th SSF. Delta has a very good chance of staying in the top 3 as only 1 of their 14 out of conference teams has a winning record.
Martin does factor in strength of schedule a little but I think it takes away some of the incentive to schedule up, specially when close losses don't help. Before, a coach could emphasize close losses to high level teams but not the case anymore.

Saturday
Pettisville @ Liberty Center
Antwerp @ Patrick Henry #3 vs #1 Region 14 Rankings
Archbold @ Toledo Christian
Bryan @ Fairview
North Baltimore @ Delta
Genoa @ Swanton
Rossford @ Wauseon

Some monster games on Saturday, hope the league can get some good wins

Friday Scores:

Delta 57, Archbold 43
Patrick Henry 56, Bryan 43
Wauseon 51, Evergreen 37
Liberty Center 45, Swanton 34

Patrick Henry 3-0
Archbold 2-1
Delta 2-1
Wauseon 2-1
Evergreen 1-2
Liberty Center 1-2
Swanton 1-2
Bryan 0-3

There were a couple of surprises in my mind. The craziness continues. PH emerging as the clear class of the league. Delta is better then I thought they were.

Let's not forget it took 2 overtimes for PH to defeat Swanton and 1 to defeat Evergreen. PH's best player, Lincoln Creager, will not be playing against Antwerp tonight after suffering a head injury in the first quarter of the Bryan game last night, per the NWS article in today's newspaper. I've not heard a diagnosis regarding if he suffered a concussion or not. PH is an outstanding defensive team that also rebounds well but is often challenged by inconsistent shooting accuracies.