NWO Baseball Talk 2023

ayCC!

NWO Realignment Enjoyer
Well, the spring season is upon us, so appropriate time for a thread I think.

Trivia question: When was the last time a Toledo-area team brought home a state championship before Northview did last year?

NLL - Does Northview return enough to claim the title? In Perrysburg's final year of Walendzak/Takats do they come out on top? AW has a D1 guy AFAIK this year in Carlson (Toledo) and a solid guy in Morrison. Bowling Green returns BGSU commit Kress. Any dark horses?

TRAC - Clay is loaded with Boudreaux (BG commit) /Kennedy/Hoersten arms-wise, Mays will also be a big factor in OF as well. SJJ has two D1 commits in Dukate (EMU) and Wagner (Toledo) and will also be a front runner. SFS enters a new, Gerken-less era, but return good arm talents in Erd (EKU) and Bublick. TCC looks to bounce back from a down year, they return Guerra and a hopefully healthy Markus this year, among Sanchez and Bishop. Whitmer, Findlay and Ross will give all these teams games.

While the hurricane that is conference realignment slowly marches towards us, the TRAC is a baseball league that will be sorely missed. I will forever remember the 2013 championship where a 16-13 CC upset a dominant SFS team via a stellar Jake Rudnicki pitching performance and a Deshone Kizer nuke of a double that would've been a goner if the fences were only just a little shorter, lol.

Any other programs to look out for around the NWO area? Defiance is a given in D2, but I know Rossford looked to be on the up-and-up? Ottawa Hills loses a lot of guys, but Hardman always makes them competitive.

Eastwood is the likely favorite in the NBC. They bring back Ethan Rapp (P) and Case Boos (SS) who were both all state a year ago but are replacing some key position players. Rossford should be able to compete with them with Swope, Revels, Yerkes etc. I dont see too many other schools in the league being able to keep with with those two. Lake and Genoa are both replacing a ton. Lake replacing the majority of their offensive production, and Genoa replacing their top two arms, but both have pretty promising arms in Hartman at Genoa and Tajblik at Lake. I know nothing about the two schools leaving the league after the year or Otsego and Fostoria.

Probably a down year for a typically strong conference. Some good young players, and adding two pretty good programs in Oak Harbor and Maumee should make for a more interesting season next year

Clay will be a tough out come tourney time. They have the capability of making a deep tourney run. They have quite a few good arms to go along with some solid sticks.

Central and St Francis will have some solid arms as well. I just don't think they will have the offense to finish ahead of Clay.

A sleeper team to maybe look out for is Fremont. They have a couple of younger kids coming up that could make some noise.

Trivia question: When was the last time a Toledo-area team brought home a state championship before Northview did last year?

NLL - Does Northview return enough to claim the title? In Perrysburg's final year of Walendzak/Takats do they come out on top? AW has a D1 guy AFAIK this year in Carlson (Toledo) and a solid guy in Morrison. Bowling Green returns BGSU commit Kress. Any dark horses?

TRAC - Clay is loaded with Boudreaux (BG commit) /Kennedy/Hoersten arms-wise, Mays will also be a big factor in OF as well. SJJ has two D1 commits in Dukate (EMU) and Wagner (Toledo) and will also be a front runner. SFS enters a new, Gerken-less era, but return good arm talents in Erd (EKU) and Bublick. TCC looks to bounce back from a down year, they return Guerra and a hopefully healthy Markus this year, among Sanchez and Bishop. Whitmer, Findlay and Ross will give all these teams games.

While the hurricane that is conference realignment slowly marches towards us, the TRAC is a baseball league that will be sorely missed. I will forever remember the 2013 championship where a 16-13 CC upset a dominant SFS team via a stellar Jake Rudnicki pitching performance and a Deshone Kizer nuke of a double that would've been a goner if the fences were only just a little shorter, lol.

Any other programs to look out for around the NWO area? Defiance is a given in D2, but I know Rossford looked to be on the up-and-up? Ottawa Hills loses a lot of guys, but Hardman always makes them competitive.
Define Toledo area?

If it is Toledo and burbs that butt up I'd say Start in 2000.

If all of NWOhio, Defiance won in back to back in 2015 and 2016. If semi NWOhio, Patrick Henry won it all in 2008 and 2009. If it is NWOhio light Archbold and Gibsonburg in 2005.;)

As for the TRAC I think it is Clay and CC. SJ will be good and SF always has some dudes but I really believe it will be the pitching at Clay and CC that will carry both schools. I also believe the Wasserman kid wound up at CC. The Irish will not win any height contests but they will be good (Guerra, Sanchez, Markus all solid).

If it is Toledo and burbs that butt up I'd say Start in 2000.

If all of NWOhio, Defiance won in back to back in 2015 and 2016. If semi NWOhio, Patrick Henry won it all in 2008 and 2009. If it is NWOhio light Archbold and Gibsonburg in 2005.;)
I was looking for this type of analysis, lol. I’m sure as we get towards the end of the season the same old “hey remember this guy?” talk will re-emerge and I’m all for it.

Wasserman did end up at CC, and will do great things for them this season for sure.

A sleeper team to maybe look out for is Fremont. They have a couple of younger kids coming up that could make some noise.
I saw Karson Kayden has some nice pitching measurables. I know numbers only tell so much, but 88-87mph on the FB, 81-80mph on the slider as a sophomore will certainly give batters some trouble. They return Durnwald and Hrynciw IIRC?

I see footage of Walendzak practicing football at UT on Twitter.

Anyone know about the ever tough Western Buckeye League and Midwest Athletic League? I've sent some feelers out for some teams and can't wait to see some games this spring.

Anyone know about the ever tough Western Buckeye League and Midwest Athletic League? I've sent some feelers out for some teams and can't wait to see some games this spring.
Same teams will be good. Defiance, Van Wert, Coldwater Minster

Do we know of any of the top players in these leagues? They seem to produce several D1 college baseball players year after year.
The WBL will be the strongest it's been in years. Multiple D1 commits....and probably a half dozen guys who will be throwing 90+. Wapak has a kid that was up to 93 two weekends ago and another at 89 as a sophomore. Defiance will have 3 or so as usual.

This D2 NWO region should be a dog fight. With Bowling Green dropping down and joining Defiance, TCC, Napoleon, OG, Rossford, among others, it'll be a dogfight in that Archbold district per usual.

Central and Clay are hosting a pretty loaded PBR tournament to begin the season. Ottawa Hills, Walsh Jesuit, Marlington, St. Ed, Massillon Jackson, and University School all coming to OREC and Mercy Field the last weekend in March. Hoping for some pretty good baseball!

Nice win for Clay over Perrysburg to start the season.

2R 4H 2E Perrysburg
5R 10H 1E Clay

I saw Kennedy was throwing 84-86. Nice pop early in the season. Anyone know where he is at in the rotation? Was thinking #3 or #4.

Blaine Albright from Lima Bath (Indiana Commit) had 19 K's in their opener against Lima Central Catholic on Monday. LCC pitcher Billy Bourk had 17 in a 2-1 Bath win. None of the 3 runs were earned.

Nice win for Clay over Perrysburg to start the season.

2R 4H 2E Perrysburg
5R 10H 1E Clay

I saw Kennedy was throwing 84-86. Nice pop early in the season. Anyone know where he is at in the rotation? Was thinking #3 or #4.
Hall was quoted as saying they saw Clay’s #2 guy because the #1 guy was ill, FWIW.

Hall was quoted as saying they saw Clay’s #2 guy because the #1 guy was ill, FWIW.

#1 may have been sick but I assume Phillips was trying to line him up with St. Eds. Friday. A buddy told me Clay has a #1 and then 2A, 2B and 2C with all 4 guys topping out in the 87-88 range. Not that velocity is everything but that can be over powering in high school.

Last edited:
#1 may have been sick but I assume Phillips was trying to line him up with St. Eds. Friday. A buddy told me Clay has a #1 and then 2A, 2B and 2C with all 4 guys topping out in the 87-88 range. Not that velocity is everything but that can be over powering in high school.
In a tournament where all you need is two really solid pitchers and consistently good offense, having four guys who can do that will really help them come May.

Boudreaux is their ace but will be out for a couple of weeks. Then it goes Gallaher, Kennedy, Horenstein in no particular order.

Then you have Barnes who came in the 5th against Perrysburg and pitched three really nice innings. He is a senior who has pitched in some high profile games (and wins) since his sophomore season and will more than likely fill the role of closer. He is a low to mid 80's guy as well.

Clay definitely has some arm depth.

SJ has two good arms, SF has one, CC has two. Should be an interesting season.

Horenstein threw a no hitter tonight in Clay's 1-0 win over Maumee.

Maumee pitcher was not bad. I saw they were picked last in league but return 10 seniors. NLL pretty tough as always.

CC defeats University 6-4. Markus and Guerra combine for 10K's. Offense garnered 10 hits as well. They play Walsh Jesuit tomorrow.

OH loses to Jackson 3-2 IIRC.

Did Clay beat the rain and beat St. Ed?

CC defeats University 6-4. Markus and Guerra combine for 10K's. Offense garnered 10 hits as well. They play Walsh Jesuit tomorrow.

What time is the Walsh Jesuit game? Unsure they get it in and have to believe Mielcarek knew that in throwing Markus and Guerra yesterday? Maybe? I know CC has another good arm from last year (maybe two) but I cannot remember their names? Bishop? Sanchez?

I'd really like to see that Walsh Jesuit/CC game. Of all the games this weekend that is the best match-up. Walsh is loaded with dudes but CC has enough to beat them IMO. CC could push for a DII state title.

Is Wasserman catching for CC? He was a tough loss for Clay. Markus also an Oregon kid and I have no idea where Guerra grew up but his dad was an East Sider so the Upper East Side will claim him as well. :ROFLMAO:

And this made me chuckle.
1680353923096.png

What time is the Walsh Jesuit game? Unsure they get it in and have to believe Mielcarek knew that in throwing Markus and Guerra yesterday? Maybe? I know CC has another good arm from last year (maybe two) but I cannot remember their names? Bishop? Sanchez?

I'd really like to see that Walsh Jesuit/CC game. Of all the games this weekend that is the best match-up. Walsh is loaded with dudes but CC has enough to beat them IMO. CC could push for a DII state title.

Is Wasserman catching for CC? He was a tough loss for Clay. Markus also an Oregon kid and I have no idea where Guerra grew up but his dad was an East Sider so the Upper East Side will claim him as well. :ROFLMAO:
10:00! They’re throwing a sophomore on the mound today, if you remember a Hagan Gardner, it would be his little brother.

Wasserman is splitting time with Haupricht at catcher, but is also playing left field too. Has a hell of an arm, drove in 2RBI yesterday.

Fun fact actually. The last time CC played Walsh in baseball was 11 years ago yesterday, at the first game at Mercy Field. They won 2-1 off of a Derich Weiland steal of second, where the throw then hit him in the head and ricocheted into left field. He ran all the way home to walk it off and get the first win at Mercy. Hoping for some magic like that today.

10:00! They’re throwing a sophomore on the mound today, if you remember a Hagan Gardner, it would be his little brother.

Wasserman is splitting time with Haupricht at catcher, but is also playing left field too. Has a hell of an arm, drove in 2RBI yesterday.

Fun fact actually. The last time CC played Walsh in baseball was 11 years ago yesterday, at the first game at Mercy Field. They won 2-1 off of a Derich Weiland steal of second, where the throw then hit him in the head and ricocheted into left field. He ran all the way home to walk it off and get the first win at Mercy. Hoping for some magic like that today.
Believe it or not I actually remember that game. Good luck today.

Walsh has senior Ryan Piech (Xavier commit) on the mound this morning.
This should be a nice early season challenge for both teams.

Walsh has senior Ryan Piech (Xavier commit) on the mound this morning.
This should be a nice early season challenge for both teams.
Some windy wild weather late morning. Any updates? Final?