NW Big School Conference (Possible) Changes

CC Track Fan

In quite a few threads there has been discussions about conference changes in the NW. Here are enrollment numbers and a few of my thoughts.

PERRYSBURG 672 NLL
ANTHONY WAYNE 544 NLL
SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW 511 NLL
SPRINGFIELD 452 NLL
SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW 368 NLL
BOWLING GREEN 361 NLL
MAUMEE 285 NLL
NAPOLEON 248 NLL
Only possible change is Napoleon wanting to be with smaller school. Possibly 5 year+ school vote out Perrysburg for getting too big.

WHITMER 839 TRAC
FINDLAY 600 TRAC
FREMONT ROSS 454 TRAC
CLAY 442 TRAC
LIMA SENIOR 429 TRAC
ST FRANCIS DE SALES 429 TRAC
ST JOHN'S JESUIT 383 TRAC
CENTRAL CATHOLIC 219 TRAC
Fremont would like to go to SBC, Lima WBL, Findlay NLL don't see these happening. Clay could get NLL spot if Napoleon leaves. Not sure what TRAC does if this happens.

START 691 TCL
BOWSHER 588 TCL
WAITE 479 TCL
ROGERS 333 TCL
WOODWARD 316 TCL
SCOTT 258 TCL
Only change could happen is if TPS closes another HS.

SANDUSKY 338 SBC
COLUMBIAN 333 SBC
NORWALK 318 SBC
CLYDE 256 SBC
BELLEVUE 252 SBC
PERKINS 252 SBC
VERMILION 248 SBC
Could add Fremont but seems unlikely

WAPAKONETA 314 WBL
CELINA 308 WBL
DEFIANCE 297 WBL
ELIDA 291 WBL
SHAWNEE 287 WBL
ST MARYS MEMORIAL 277 WBL
VAN WERT 248 WBL
OTTAWA-GLANDORF 203 WBL
KENTON 195 WBL
BATH 185 WBL
Don't think changes anytime soon but could see Kenton sometime moving SW. Still don't think they would take Lima.

don’t think the WBL takes Lima Senior in a million years. Kenton? i could absolutely see them doing something with Bellefontaine, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Waynesfield Goshen, etc.

I could see Kenton moving somewhere else also. Some schools just feel like WBL schools. Wapak, St. Mary’s, Celina, Shawnee, Elida and OG. The rest of them feel so different from the league. Anybody who’s played in the WBL or played these schools would agree. Defiance could go to the NWOAL or NLL, Bath to the NWC, Kenton to the CBC. Van Wert is kind of the odd man out as the WBL is the only conference close enough/large enough to have them.

I could see Kenton moving somewhere else also. Some schools just feel like WBL schools. Wapak, St. Mary’s, Celina, Shawnee, Elida and OG. The rest of them feel so different from the league. Anybody who’s played in the WBL or played these schools would agree. Defiance could go to the NWOAL or NLL, Bath to the NWC, Kenton to the CBC. Van Wert is kind of the odd man out as the WBL is the only conference close enough/large enough to have them.
If that scenario happened, it'd leave the WBL with 7 members. Who would you add?

don’t think the WBL takes Lima Senior in a million years. Kenton? i could absolutely see them doing something with Bellefontaine, Indian Lake, Ben Logan, Waynesfield Goshen, etc.

Bath should join the NWC. They are bad at about every sport now except girls basketball they just don't have the enrollment anymore and are getting smaller.

If Bath would join the NWC then Liberty Benton could join the WBL. They are bigger than both OG and Kenton I think and are growing.

My absolute dream league scenario for Defiance would involve Defiance, Napoleon, Bryan, Wauseon, Van Wert, and O-G, with 2 added in from somewhere, however that would happen.

It would give us our 3 biggest historical rivals (Nap, Bryan, VW who is actually our most played school), plus keep our current closest road trip in the WBL.

From there the problem becomes how to get to 8. LCC? Maybe Maumee since they're similar size snd the NLL is kind of out growing them?

Regardless, I wouldn't see VW ever leaving the WBL. Too much history.

Bath should join the NWC. They are bad at about every sport now except girls basketball they just don't have the enrollment anymore and are getting smaller.

If Bath would join the NWC then Liberty Benton could join the WBL. They are bigger than both OG and Kenton I think and are growing.

Liberty-Benton is D5. Kenton and OG are D4.

Unless another school like Cory-Rawson merges into Liberty Benton, I dont see them joining the WBL.

Bath on the other hand might be a good fit in the NWC.

^^^^
In any what if scenario involving Cory-Rawson... Arlington, Bluffton, Pandora, Findlay, and even Ada would see an uptick of open enrollment applications. What's left wouldn't move the needle enough to get WBL type numbers for L-B.. If it was Van Buren or if Hancock Co. were whittled down to 3 or 4 districts ( North, Central/and or Findlay, and South) now you're looking at a number of different options.

Last edited:
My absolute dream league scenario for Defiance would involve Defiance, Napoleon, Bryan, Wauseon, Van Wert, and O-G, with 2 added in from somewhere, however that would happen.

It would give us our 3 biggest historical rivals (Nap, Bryan, VW who is actually our most played school), plus keep our current closest road trip in the WBL.

From there the problem becomes how to get to 8. LCC? Maybe Maumee since they're similar size snd the NLL is kind of out growing them?

Regardless, I wouldn't see VW ever leaving the WBL. Too much history.
Maumee and Bowling Green would be a great fit in my opinion. Both schools have teams that fit well with those schools and typically play in the post season against each other. Plus I think those schools will still travel well even if it is a little further. I’d be all for it as long as they add Perrysburg non-conference to keep their rivalry

I think Liberty Benton would be a decent fit in the NBC, maybe replace Woodmore? Woodmore moves to bvc or sbc bay

Maumee and Bowling Green would be a great fit in my opinion. Both schools have teams that fit well with those schools and typically play in the post season against each other. Plus I think those schools will still travel well even if it is a little further. I’d be all for it as long as they add Perrysburg non-conference to keep their rivalry

I think Liberty Benton would be a decent fit in the NBC, maybe replace Woodmore? Woodmore moves to bvc or sbc bay

Honestly, yeah. BG IMMEDIATELY came to mind, and both Defiance and Napoleon have league histories with them. Maumee I thought about too, simply because they're so small compared to the rest of the NLL and could probably live with extra travel if it meant being with schools of similar size they can compete with.

Van Wert to Maumee is a haul though, but hey. It's my dream league, right? Lol

I'm assuming you meant SBC River rather than SBC Bay? The BVC would not be an option for Woodmore but the TAAC would be a possibility.

Honestly, yeah. BG IMMEDIATELY came to mind, and both Defiance and Napoleon have league histories with them. Maumee I thought about too, simply because they're so small compared to the rest of the NLL and could probably live with extra travel if it meant being with schools of similar size they can compete with.

Van Wert to Maumee is a haul though, but hey. It's my dream league, right? Lol

Van Wert to nearly all of those schools is over a 45 minute trip. They are kind of in a bad position for any conference unless they want to go small

Any idea what the TRAC would do if Clay, Fremont, Lima or Findlay find a new league? If it is not Lima that leaves do the invite LCC? Clearly would have trouble competing but is that better for them than no league? Is that better for the TRAC than having 7 teams?

I just can't see any team wanting to join unless Perrysburg is voted out of the NLL.

Any idea what the TRAC would do if Clay, Fremont, Lima or Findlay find a new league? If it is not Lima that leaves do the invite LCC? Clearly would have trouble competing but is that better for them than no league? Is that better for the TRAC than having 7 teams?

I just can't see any team wanting to join unless Perrysburg is voted out of the NLL.
If Perrysburg joins and Clay hasn't already left the Eagles would take Perrysburg's place and it would leave the TRAC short. I think, in any scenario, the TRAC will be forever short of 8 if anyone leaves. Merging with the City League is no longer an option unless some of them consolidate.

Perrysburg isn't going to be voted out unless they do the same to Anthony Wayne. Ain't happening IMO. And I do not see either of these schools going to the TRAC on their own. Why would they? The others are going to have to break off to get away from either/both.

Any chance Whitmer, Clay, Findlay, and maybe Fremont if they never get in the SBC would break off and merge with the NLL into a 2 division league?

Those 4 plus AW and Perrysburg on the big school side and the rest in the small school?

The NLL stays the same because they simply don't have to change. They are happy with the way they are and nobody is any hurry to leave. Change scares them.

The NLL stays the same because they simply don't have to change.
I feel the same, in a way, regarding SBC Lake. The travel is great, and emerging as a stud conference. Weeks 4 and 5 can be dicy, but we don't mind beating the sh.....stuff out of TCL schools and some MOAC schools.

Having said this, someone like Ross has to make a strong selling point.

Last edited:
I do know BG has indicated they have "other options" and that's not the SBC. Not sure to what level they're exploring those options but it's their ace right now.

I do know BG has indicated they have "other options" and that's not the SBC. Not sure to what level they're exploring those options but it's their ace right now.

Interesting. I have no clue what that would be, unless it's an entirely new league. They're too big for the NBC or any other existing league close by.

The NLL stays the same because they simply don't have to change. They are happy with the way they are and nobody is any hurry to leave. Change scares them.
I agree as of right now but when Perrysburg become 4 times bigger then Napoleon that may change things. And that change will not be Perrysburg leaving on their own. They have no interest in moving to the TRAC unless they are forced. More likely it would be Napoleon choosing to leave.

I hadn't realized that BG was that unhappy with the NLL I understand why, just didn't hear that they were.

I feel the same, in a way, regarding SBC Lake. The travel is great, and emerging as a stud conference. Weeks 4 and 5 can be dicy, but we don't mind beating the sh.....stuff out of TCL schools and some MOAC schools.

Having said this, someone like Ross has to make a strong selling point.
Like if Ross can talk Sandusky into a new league???

I agree as of right now but when Perrysburg become 4 times bigger then Napoleon that may change things. And that change will not be Perrysburg leaving on their own. They have no interest in moving to the TRAC unless they are forced. More likely it would be Napoleon choosing to leave.

I don't see Napoleon voluntarily leaving either. They have no where else to go. I know the NWOAL makes sense based on location and now even size, but the breakup 40 years ago was EXTREMELY messy (the NWOAL almost ceased to exist because the small schools were sick of Napoleon), and the NLL was their dream ever since.

Maybe 42 years and lowering enrollment gaps are enough to convince everyone, but I think it would be a tough sell in Napoleon.

I don't see Napoleon voluntarily leaving either. They have no where else to go. I know the NWOAL makes sense based on location and now even size, but the breakup 40 years ago was EXTREMELY messy (the NWOAL almost ceased to exist because the small schools were sick of Napoleon), and the NLL was their dream ever since.

Maybe 42 years and lowering enrollment gaps are enough to convince everyone, but I think it would be a tough sell in Napoleon.

I think Napoleon moving to the NWOAL only causes issues in that conference eventually. Those small schools would start moaning. Hard to believe they aren't already with Wauseon. Or are they?

I think Napoleon moving to the NWOAL only causes issues in that conference eventually. Those small schools would start moaning. Hard to believe they aren't already with Wauseon. Or are they?

Best bet for everyone is still having Defiance, Napoleon, Bryan, and Wauseon team up somehow. Problem is, there's no easy way to do that. It would either take a big school/small school split in the NWOAL (which would likely take a small school playing up or stealing a couple of others) or starting a whole new league and needing to find 4 others to team up with.

As for Nap and Wauseon, they play in everything, football included. It's just been 42 years since they were in a league together.