Norton D4 District

187xovr

How is this district shaping up? Can anyone compete with Richmond Heights this year? It looks like Richmond Heights, Mogadore, Dalton, and Open Door (not necessarily in that order) have the best records and the inside track for the top 4 seeds right now. I think Mogadore and Open Door might have the best records right now, but Richmond Heights has only lost to really quality opponents (Taft, Ignatius, and Cleveland Heights were three of them). One of Dalton's losses was to Lutheran East. It will be interesting to see how teams get seeded. It also seems like there are several teams knocking on the door right behind these four as well. Thoughts?

Here are the records for each team as of 1/27

Central Christian (11-4)
Cornerstone Christian (1-10)
Cuyahoga Heights (7-7)
Dalton (13-4)
Hillsdale (2-12)
Independence (10-4)
Lake Center Christian (10-6)
Lake Ridge (10-4)
Mogadore (9-3)
Open Door (9-6)
Richmond Heights (12-4)
Rittman (6-10)

This is how I would rank them right now (not in order of who is the best but I how I would think they would be seeded).

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Lake Center Christian
5. Independence
6. Central Christian
7. Open Door
8. Cuyahoga Heights
9. Rittman
10. Lake Ridge
11. Cornerstone Christian
12. Hillsdale

Central Christian may have a better record, but Rittman beat them at their place already this season. Let's not forget the difference in leagues as well. Rittman will be a tough out and I am not sure anyone outside top 2 wants them early in the bracket.

Central Christian may have a better record, but Rittman beat them at their place already this season. Let's not forget the difference in leagues as well. Rittman will be a tough out and I am not sure anyone outside top 2 wants them early in the bracket.

These are the issues that make seeding confusing at times. I would consider Rittman to be a 10 point favorite over Central Christian if they played right now. Rittman also has a convincing win over Smithville under their belt. Central Christian lost to Smithville by 5-10 points. I'm just not sure the coaches will vote Rittman ahead of others (Independence, Open Door) when they have so many more losses. Rittman does have a chance for some big wins before seeding day that could change things quite a bit though. A win over Norwayne and/or Northwestern and they will have a legitimate case to claim the 4 seed IMO.

This is how I would rank them right now (not in order of who is the best but I how I would think they would be seeded).

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Lake Center Christian
5. Independence
6. Central Christian
7. Open Door
8. Cuyahoga Heights
9. Rittman
10. Lake Ridge
12. Hillsdale

Thanks for all of the records. I'm just curious..........why would Lake Ridge Academy be a 10 seed with a 10-4 record. Is their schedule that bad?

Rittman did win but only by 1. The record is what's going to hurt Rittman in the seeding. The 4 through 10 seeds in this district could vary widely. It will be interested to see how it turns out.

These are the issues that make seeding confusing at times. I would consider Rittman to be a 10 point favorite over Central Christian if they played right now. Rittman also has a convincing win over Smithville under their belt. Central Christian lost to Smithville by 5-10 points. I'm just not sure the coaches will vote Rittman ahead of others (Independence, Open Door) when they have so many more losses. Rittman does have a chance for some big wins before seeding day that could change things quite a bit though. A win over Norwayne and/or Northwestern and they will have a legitimate case to claim the 4 seed IMO.
They certainly have a chance for some big wins coming up but I do not think that will get them to a 4 seed. I think the best they can hope for with some nice wins would be 6 or 7.

Thanks for all of the records. I'm just curious..........why would Lake Ridge Academy be a 10 seed with a 10-4 record. Is their schedule that bad?
Yes their schedule is that bad plus they have a reputation for not being very good for a very long time... which is why I believe they will be seeded lower.

I looked up their schedule online. I will admit that I have never even heard of most of those teams. Looks like they have a game against Open Door this week. That game will definitely have an impact on their seeding. Rittman probably will not jump to the 4 seed, but some wins here in the next two weeks should vault them past several teams. Their schedule before seeding includes Columbia, Norwayne, Waynedale, and Northwestern. Four good opponents in a row.

Give the trophy to Richmond Heights save everyone the gas money. I wish Mogadore had a chance at competing to win this district but they don't have the horses this year.

What has happened to Cornerstone Christian last few years,they have took a big turn for the worse,no more all stars going there

Give the trophy to Richmond Heights save everyone the gas money. I wish Mogadore had a chance at competing to win this district but they don't have the horses this year.

That very well could be the case. Richmond Heights is the clear favorite here. That said, it is hard to gauge just how good the Spartans are this year. It seems they are either blowing out the teams in their conference, or getting blown out in their out of conference games. They have won several games by huge margins. I believe they have been down by at least 20 in each of their losses. They did have a semi close win against Revere a few weeks ago. Looks like they have blowout wins coming the rest of the way until their last game of the year against Massillon Jackson.

What has happened to Cornerstone Christian last few years,they have took a big turn for the worse,no more all stars going there
The AAU pipeline must have dried up. I remember a few seasons ago they had a kid from Nova Scotia playing for them with the Bothwell kid.

The AAU pipeline must have dried up. I remember a few seasons ago they had a kid from Nova Scotia playing for them with the Bothwell kid.

The coach from their dominant years resigned soon after the state title game two years ago. Back to reality for that program since then.

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Lake Center Christian
5. Independence
6. Central Christian
7. Open Door
8. Cuyahoga Heights
9. Rittman
10. Lake Ridge
12. Hillsdale

Lake Ridge certainly helped their cause by beating Open Door last night. I don't see how they will not be in the top 4-8 teams now. Rittman also had a nice win against Columbia last night. Indians simply need to keep piling up wins. If they go into seeding day with 12-13 losses, they will be the best 9 or 10 seed in the state in D4.

Plus I hate the automatic bracket placement. Atleast when you picked where you went it helped offset the buddy system with coaches votes

Lake Ridge certainly helped their cause by beating Open Door last night. I don't see how they will not be in the top 4-8 teams now. Rittman also had a nice win against Columbia last night. Indians simply need to keep piling up wins. If they go into seeding day with 12-13 losses, they will be the best 9 or 10 seed in the state in D4.
For Lake Ridge its probably one of the best wins in their recent history. The 4-10 seeds will be very interesting. At this point you could almost pick them out of a hat.

With last nights results this is how I would rank them...

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Lake Center Christian
5. Independence
6. Central Christian
7. Rittman (If they keep winning they could move up to 6... again they are probably better than Central but the record keeps them behind for now)
8. Lake Ridge (Head to head win over OD)
9. Open Door (Head to head win over CH)
10. Cuyahoga Heights
12. Hillsdale

I will go with.......

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Independence (likely will go into seeding day with 5 losses (2 vs Richmond Heights))
5. Central Christian
6. Lake Ridge Academy
7. Lake Center Christian (tough league.....but where are the quality wins?)
8. Open Door
9. Rittman
10. Cuyahoga Heights
12. Hillsdale

We could still see considerable movement before seeding day.

I will go with.......

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Independence (likely will go into seeding day with 5 losses (2 vs Richmond Heights))
5. Central Christian
6. Lake Ridge Academy
7. Lake Center Christian (tough league.....but where are the quality wins?)
8. Open Door
9. Rittman
10. Cuyahoga Heights
12. Hillsdale

We could still see considerable movement before seeding day.
Only thing i change here is Lake Center Christian up to #4 and bump everyone else down 1 spot. I think you've got Rittman right on the money at the #9 seed - they have a couple nice wins over Smithville and Columbia, but in reality Smithville has hit a wall since league play started.....and that glaring loss to Manchester (1-14?) where they were down by almost 20 but came back to make it close is definitely going to hurt their seeding...

Only thing i change here is Lake Center Christian up to #4 and bump everyone else down 1 spot. I think you've got Rittman right on the money at the #9 seed - they have a couple nice wins over Smithville and Columbia, but in reality Smithville has hit a wall since league play started.....and that glaring loss to Manchester (1-14?) where they were down by almost 20 but came back to make it close is definitely going to hurt their seeding...

Good idea regarding Lake Center Christian. Although they do not have any great wins, they have beaten better teams than Independence, Central Christian, or Lake Ridge Academy have. After this weekend, I would seed the teams this way.

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton (could jump up to #2 with a win at Norwayne this Friday)
4. Lake Center Christian
5. Independence
6. Central Christian
7. Lake Ridge Academy (bad loss vs Horizon Science last week)
8. Rittman (12 losses now............could still move up with a win at Northwestern Friday)
9. Open Door (seem to be in a tailspin.....5 losses in a row)
10. Cuyahoga Heights
12. Hillsdale

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Rittman
5. Central
6. Lake Center
7. Independence
8. Cuyahoga Heights
9. lake Ridge
10. Open Door
11. Hillsdale
12. Cornerstone

This would be how I would rank them based on who they have played and who they have beaten. This is one problem with this district. How do you rank a team in Lake Ridge and Open Door who have both played non-ohsaa schools and lost to them as well (Hearts for Jesus Christ Community School, not like they are playing Chris Livingston and Western Reserve). Central is a good team and have played some schools tough but still haven't beat them, but they also get to benefit from their league being bad as well (besides Lucas). Will be interesting to see where all the teams finish out. This is one district where you should take the records away and vote based off of talent.

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Rittman
5. Central
6. Lake Center
7. Independence
8. Cuyahoga Heights
9. lake Ridge
10. Open Door
11. Hillsdale
12. Cornerstone

This would be how I would rank them based on who they have played and who they have beaten. This is one problem with this district. How do you rank a team in Lake Ridge and Open Door who have both played non-ohsaa schools and lost to them as well (Hearts for Jesus Christ Community School, not like they are playing Chris Livingston and Western Reserve). Central is a good team and have played some schools tough but still haven't beat them, but they also get to benefit from their league being bad as well (besides Lucas). Will be interesting to see where all the teams finish out. This is one district where you should take the records away and vote based off of talent.

I get your point, and I agree that this district is tough to seed because of the vast differences in the schedules these teams play. That said, I don't see any way that Rittman gets seeded ahead of Lake Center and Independence. Lake Center's conference has two teams that are probably as good as anybody in Rittman's conference. Independence only has 5 losses and 2 of them are against Richmond Heights (probably a 20+ point favorite against anybody in this district). It is definitely harder to seed when these teams have so few common opponents. Naturally, nobody wants the 8 or 9 seed in this district because it means a sectional final against Richmond Heights.

Dalton has scheduled a couple of really tuff non conference games,in Lutheran East and Cleveland Rhoads a Senate league favorite,I guess they lost to L.E. by 30 or better, but it was close at the half

Dalton got a huge win over Norwayne last night (59-54). Should be interesting to see how 2 and 3 seeds get voted. To me its basically a coin flip.

Dalton got a huge win over Norwayne last night (59-54). Should be interesting to see how 2 and 3 seeds get voted. To me its basically a coin flip.

I agree. Flip a coin. I do expect schools to vote for Mogadore due to more recent tournament success though. Dalton has not won a district in nearly 20 years. They will need to prove themselves in March. Rittman is the team I am interested in seeding wise. I am sure they think they deserve the 4 seed. I cannot see them ending up that high due to their 12 losses. They are probably in the top 4 teams in the district, but I cannot see the non Wayne County teams voting for them to be seeded ahead of Lake Center, Independence, or Lake Ridge Academy. I would not be surprised if they end up lower than Central Christian either.

Bracket is out --> Link
I think the seeding is about what we all thought. Thoughts on the first rounds match-ups and/or potential second round match-ups?

1. Richmond Heights
2. Mogadore
3. Dalton
4. Independence
5. Lake Center Christian
6. Kidron Central Christian
7. Rittman
8. Lake Ridge Academy
9. Open Door Christian
10. Cuyahoga Heights
12. Hillsdale

Not a lot of surprises here. Mogadore edged out Dalton by a single vote. Central Christian edged out Rittman by a single vote. It looks like Richmond Heights and Cornerstone Christian swung the latter in the favor of Central Christian. Rittman wins that vote comfortably if you take out those two teams' votes. It will all be decided on the court now. Lake Center-Independence and Rittman-Mogadore are very attractive potential sectional final matchups.