Northwestern's Wounded Warrior Uniforms Spark Controversy

eastside_purple

Northwestern is wearing special uniforms to honor and benefit the wounded warrior project and people are upset it has distressed graphics and think it looks like splattered blood.

article-2487791-19349FD400000578-218_1024x615_large.jpg

http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-...western-wildcats-wear-red-white-blue-uniforms

I see the symbolism of it but I still kind of agree. The uniforms could do without that bit. Waiting for vet organizations to chime in.

Are the blue spatters on the player's right hand supposed to represent unoxygenated blood, then? Pretty abstract, IMHO.

Anyone old enough to see "blood" in those patterns should be thinking about the fact that soldiers bleed for the freedom of others, as far as I am concerned.

Are the blue spatters on the player's right hand supposed to represent unoxygenated blood, then? Pretty abstract, IMHO.

Anyone old enough to see "blood" in those patterns should be thinking about the fact that soldiers bleed for the freedom of others, as far as I am concerned.

:clap:

It's not about the blood. It's the spatter pattern. Might be considered too gruesome. I think people know soldiers "bleed." They also lose limbs, skin and eyes.... none if which many would considered appropriate to a display of respect. Most people worth honoring are not interested in people being shocked into being honored. Something more subtle might be appropriate I think is the point of the protest. Could be people who just like to complain but I can see the point.

I don't see their point at all. It isn't even a splatter design, it's a distressed/weathered look. You may not like it, but I don't see how any reasonable person can think its insulting.

All of the pink crap, camo uniforms, American flag MLB caps, etc. should all be gotten rid of. It's not about "awareness" it's about Nike and Under Armour trying to sell more merchandise, when little to none of the profits are spent on cancer research or anything beneficial to that issue. God the pink stuff in October is so annoying

As long as the NFL is doing it, the kids will, too. And you're right, the merchandisers love selling extra socks, extra gloves....

Most15 yr old boys are not going to send the message "I don't care about your ta-tas" to the girls. Gotta represent.

All of the pink crap, camo uniforms, American flag MLB caps, etc. should all be gotten rid of. It's not about "awareness" it's about Nike and Under Armour trying to sell more merchandise, when little to none of the profits are spent on cancer research or anything beneficial to that issue. God the pink stuff in October is so annoying

A lot of these displays are also disingenuous publicity stunts, IMO. Not saying this particular one is, but the omnipresent pink all over the NFL and WWE, to name two, in October seems like a massive publicity stunt.

-----------

Tree of Knowledge, #1 Poster

Not buying it.

A lot of these displays are also disingenuous publicity stunts, IMO. Not saying this particular one is, but the omnipresent pink all over the NFL and WWE, to name two, in October seems like a massive publicity stunt.

-----------

Not buying it.

Ya think?!? It's a publicity stunt for breast cancer. The vast majority of pink athletic merchandise sold contributes to a breast cancer organization like Koman.

Ya think?!? It's a publicity stunt for breast cancer. The vast majority of pink athletic merchandise sold contributes to a breast cancer organization like Koman.

No. It's mainly a way for organizations like the NFL and WWE to try to curry favor with the public and draw some positive headlines to balance out all the rampant negativity about concussions, steroids, health of the athletes/performers, etc. If they can draw some cash for "awareness", great, but everyone is already more than "aware" of breast cancer.

If the NFL really gave a damn, why would they fine Brandon Marshall for wearing neon green cleats for mental health awareness?

-----------

Not buying it.

No. It's mainly a way for organizations like the NFL and WWE to try to curry favor with the public and draw some positive headlines to balance out all the rampant negativity about concussions, steroids, health of the athletes/performers, etc. If they can draw some cash for "awareness", great, but everyone is already more than "aware" of breast cancer.

If the NFL really gave a damn, why would they fine Brandon Marshall for wearing neon green cleats for mental health awareness?

-----------

Not buying it.

I guess they care more about breast cancer than mental health. :shrug:

-----------

Not buying it.

Great post Tree

wth is "awareness"? How about donate some of the money to "research" instead of massive organizations like komen who have become way too big for their own good. If scientists actually did find a cure then there would be thousands of people without a job because they are the ones making money off of the donations to "awareness"

I'm a vet. It doesn't bother me one bit. I've shown it to a couple other vets, they thought it was great. My best friend, a disabled vet and avid college football fan, thought they were "bad ". I wonder who actually has a problem with them?

Great post Tree

wth is "awareness"? How about donate some of the money to "research" instead of massive organizations like komen who have become way too big for their own good. If scientists actually did find a cure then there would be thousands of people without a job because they are the ones making money off of the donations to "awareness"

Nice ignorant rant. Awareness is simply a by product. Of course Komen donates A LOT of funds to research, along with medical and surgical care of breast cancer.

Yep, slacktivism at its worst.

Sig comes off as really mad itt that people care about bringing deadly illnesses to the forefront of people's minds.