Northwest Ohio Realignment

Elmwood- 154
Liberty Benton- 163
Light bulb moment, I had to look again but these are the boys enrollment numbers at Elmwood and Benton. Benton getting kicked out because of their size and Elmwood coming in to replace them. Isn't that basically the same as saying the league is done with BIG schools but are okay with very LARGE schools? Who were the braniacs behind that LOL.

Light bulb moment, I had to look again but these are the boys enrollment numbers at Elmwood and Benton. Benton getting kicked out because of their size and Elmwood coming in to replace them. Isn't that basically the same as saying the league is done with BIG schools but are okay with very LARGE schools? Who were the braniacs behind that LOL.

Elmwood leaving the NBC because of Rossford "recruiting" through open enrollment only to join a conference with Liberty-Benton is another head scratcher.

Girls:
Elmwood 139
Liberty 203
:unsure:

Because you gotta have something for the band and cheerleaders to do, and also raise concession money for the senior trip!

Vanlue's words, not mine.
I made a Friday night trip to Vanlue a few years ago. Those wearing helmets and pads, playing instruments at halftime, and those waving pom poms on the sidelines seemed to account for a majority of the student body. I'm not sure why 8 man wouldn't be the default option.

How many schools would legit be in this discussion. How many schools are at 20-22 kids or less that are heading toward this reality. I think a lot of people who make these decisions need to realize the interest and numbers in football just aren’t there anymore for some schools. There is no reason any school to have to wait around to see if their opponent is going to cancel on them the week of the game.

How many schools would legit be in this discussion. How many schools are at 20-22 kids or less that are heading toward this reality. I think a lot of people who make these decisions need to realize the interest and numbers in football just aren’t there anymore for some schools. There is no reason any school to have to wait around to see if their opponent is going to cancel on them the week of the game.
Part of the problem is that Ohio has, I believe, 611 school districts while states with similar populations, like Georgia (about 200 districts) and Illinois (about 70 districts). With the declining population and tax base, it would make sense to consolidate a large number of schools.

Examples that could make sense:
1. Vanlue and Carey
2. Bucyrus and Bucyrus Wynford
3. Van Buren, North Baltimore, and Elmwood
4. Ottoville and Fort Jennings

Tons of other examples. It would be tough on some smaller communities. But perhaps putting the high school in one and middle school in the other or something so both communities still have a piece of it and feel a part of it.

This will save tons of money and hopefully help in the football world as well by not having so many schools on the verge of losing 11 man football.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that Ohio has, I believe, 611 school districts while states with similar populations, like Georgia (about 200 districts) and Illinois (about 70 districts). With the declining population and tax base, it would make sense to consolidate a large number of schools.

1. Vanlue and Carey

Tons of other examples. It would be tough on some smaller communities. But perhaps putting the high school in one and middle school in the other or something so both communities still have a piece of it and feel a part of it.

This will save tons of money and hopefully help in the football world as well by not having so many schools on the verge of losing 11 man football.
All of these schools would probably think this is a great idea...for the OTHER districts you mentioned but not for them because they are doing "just fine".

I've often considered that if the Toledo Diocese would build a single, large school in say, Bellevue, they could consolidate SMCC, SJCC, and NSP (Calvert might be a bit of a stretch) and be dollars ahead. Of course, I state this with approximately 100% ignorance of how the politics underlying any of this might work.

I've often considered that if the Toledo Diocese would build a single, large school in say, Bellevue, they could consolidate SMCC, SJCC, and NSP (Calvert might be a bit of a stretch) and be dollars ahead. Of course, I state this with approximately 100% ignorance of how the politics underlying any of this might work.
Firelands Central Catholic

1671890779098.png

Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

1. Vanlue and Carey

The Bucyrus and Wynford school buildings are only about a mile and a half apart from each other.

Bucyrus also has the issue of being landlocked, so to speak. Parts of both the Colonel Crawford and Wynford school district boundaries extend into the Bucyrus city limits.

1. Vanlue and Carey

Most states have county-wide districts in low population areas. I don't think you're ever going to get something like in Ohio and I personally don't think we should try at scale because you're going to decimate small communities and their sense of individualism.

You also picked two states that only have one major population center, as opposed to the three in Ohio....I mean, Chicago Public Schools have 150+ high schools just in that district alone. That makes up a fairly significant amount of districts in Ohio vs. those in Georgia/Illinois.

The Bucyrus and Wynford school buildings are only about a mile and a half apart from each other.

Bucyrus also has the issue of being landlocked, so to speak. Parts of both the Colonel Crawford and Wynford school district boundaries extend into the Bucyrus city limits.
With some effort the newer or better facilities could be made to house the classes needed. I believe both schools have combined the MS/HS into one building. Make one a HS and the other a MS, or even grades 5-8. Then use the better elementary budling for K-4.

Thing is, St. Paul is on strong footing. Don't punish this Parish School because others are failing

1. Vanlue and Carey

Are there advantages to consolidation? Yes

Are there disadvantages? Yes?

Having lived & taught through the consolidations 50 years ago I can tell you the resentment and jealousy lasts for decades.

Putting the high school and middle school in different towns did not make everybody happy then and there is no reason to think it would be any different now.

1. Vanlue and Carey

I want to be a fly on the wall when the state tells Ottoville and Ft Jennings they have to consolidate.

Are there advantages to consolidation? Yes

Are there disadvantages? Yes?

Having lived & taught through the consolidations 50 years ago I can tell you the resentment and jealousy lasts for decades.

Putting the high school and middle school in different towns did not make everybody happy then and there is no reason to think it would be any different now.
Just brainstorming. Cookie cutter approaches definitely wouldnt be good.

Ottoville and Fort Jennings both had brand new schools built around the same time in the last 20 years.

They're staying separate for a while.

Look at places that have consolidated. The "lesser" town that does not get the school just shrivels up and dies. Any kids still there now have long bus rides which is another incentive for anyone with school age kids to leave, thus accelerating the shriveling effect.

The consolidated school now has more kids who come from distance. More busing, lower percentage who stay for extra-curriculars (sports, drama club, band, etc).

I am not saying it is not necessary at times, but it is a death knell to a small community. Might as well save time, knock down all the buildings and have more farm land.