Northwest Ohio Realignment

I was at the NB scrimmage on Friday. Numbers are not great, but I saw or heard nothing that would indicate an impending change in league affiliation or a change from 11-man. I'm thinking that it is a misattributed quote.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that the village is planning to do some work on the lights in the next two weeks before the Crestline game, or they could be a Crooksville situation. I had never seen a football scrimmage called on account of darkness before--and that was with the lights on!
Article in The Courier that indicates NB is leaving the BVC to go independent starting next year. I don’t have a subscription and I’ve used up my free clicks, but I hope to read it soon.

I don't know if we can copy/paste those kinds of articles, but it mainly says that NB is just going independent for football, staying in the BVC for the rest of their sports teams, and still plans on playing BVC teams. They just feel being a football independent is best for their program right now. No mention of 8-man, but I have to wonder...

The article also covers recent BVC moves (Leipsic, C-R, Elmwood).

I don't know if we can copy/paste those kinds of articles, but it mainly says that NB is just going independent for football, staying in the BVC for the rest of their sports teams, and still plans on playing BVC teams. They just feel being a football independent is best for their program right now. No mention of 8-man, but I have to wonder...

The article also covers recent BVC moves (Leipsic, C-R, Elmwood).
Thats an odd move...their AD must love putting himself through hell in the autumn months.

1630175156879.png

Once Vanlue finally gives up, that'll give the BVC a nice 8 in football. Unless I'm missing a move and have it wrong.

I mean, does this even leave c

pretty sure that is the plan...I don’t think Elmwood entered the league under the impression CR, NB or Vanlue would be a part of it.

NB kinda surprises me as it's a border district to Elmwood. Figured they wouldn't care about them as much.

But I think trimming the fat and going with 8 will make the conference better.

Last edited:
It's rumored the SBC football divisions starting in 2023 will be:

Lake:
Sandusky
Tiffin Columbian
Norwalk
Clyde
Perkins

Bay:
Bellevue
Vermilion
Port Clinton
Edison
Huron

River:
Willard
Margaretta
Lakota
Woodmore
Gibsonburg
Hopewell-Loudon
Tiffin Calvert
Fremont St. Joseph

We already knew Oak Harbor was out and Woodmore was coming in. The changes would be moving Bellevue from Lake to Bay and Willard from Bay back to the River.

Note, these divisions are football only. There are 4 other schools in the SBC thst do not have 11 man football: Sandusky St. Mary and Danbury which have 8 man, Old Fort and New Riegel which have zero football.

Last edited:
Why "yuck? Port Clinton and Edison were on their schedule and both games competitive. I don't know the area well so not challenging. Just trying to understand.

I like the SBC and think they're a great conference, but I'm not all that familiar with it. What exactly is the difference between the Lake and Bay divisions? Is it just school size? It does look like Lake schools are slightly bigger, but not really by all that much. Is the idea of the SBC format that they have their pod of a division and then do a certain number of crossover games with other SBC members?

Perhaps, but I believe Perkins would be a better fit.
Perhaps but at the end of the day, enrollment rules. It may change after two years. From what I read, there are four schools with pretty close enrollments. I think they tried the "better fit" when this big league started and it was a mistake, IMO (Shelby/Vermilion) so I can understand why it was an enrollment decision.

It's rumored the SBC football divisions starting in 2023 will be:

Lake:
Sandusky
Tiffin Columbian
Norwalk
Clyde
Perkins

Bay:
Bellevue
Vermilion
Port Clinton
Edison
Huron

River:
Willard
Margaretta
Lakota
Woodmore
Gibsonburg
Hopewell-Loudon
Tiffin Calvert
Fremont St. Joseph

We already knew Oak Harbor was out and Woodmore was coming in. The changes would be moving Bellevue from Lake to Bay and Willard from Bay back to the River.

Note, these divisions are football only. There are 4 other schools in the SBC thst do not have 11 man football: Sandusky St. Mary and Danbury which have 8 man, Old Fort and New Riegel which have zero football.

they should have added Fremont Ross while they had the chance.

I like the SBC and think they're a great conference, but I'm not all that familiar with it. What exactly is the difference between the Lake and Bay divisions? Is it just school size? It does look like Lake schools are slightly bigger, but not really by all that much. Is the idea of the SBC format that they have their pod of a division and then do a certain number of crossover games with other SBC members?
Yes, size is the difference. Lake, Bay and River are a play on big, medium and small...though as has been pointed out there's not a huge difference between the bottom of the Lake and top of the Bay. Right now there are 3 Lake teams and 4 Bay teams together in region 14.

Under the current setup the divisions operate as separate conferences when it comes to scheduling. Crossovers are not mandatory, but many voluntary ones do happen to fill out schedules. It's unknown for sure whether mandatory crossovers will be part of this realignment, but I would guess those are likely to be implemented to fill out the byes that Lake and Bay teams will have in weeks 6-10.

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/3...WM2sQLUKBhlgOGUGNCOUBijNxZrWhdHaELC7iNtkctzuY

Those will be the divisions, along with some changes for basketball (Bellevue in the Lake, Vermilion to the Bay). They posted the enrollment numbers in the article for the top two divisions:

LAKE DIVISION
School  2018 boys  OHSAA class

Sandusky   338   III
Columbian  333   III  
Norwalk   318   III
Clyde   256   IV
Perkins   252   IV

BAY DIVISION
School  2018 figures  OHSAA class

Bellevue   252   IV  
Vermilion   248   IV
Port Clinton 228   IV
Huron   208   IV
Edison   199   IV

Note: Data from school enrollment counts on Oct. 31, 2018, grades 9-11. Bellevue will be moved to the Bay because it had fewer boys than Perkins in the 2016 count.

Yes, size is the difference. Lake, Bay and River are a play on big, medium and small...though as has been pointed out there's not a huge difference between the bottom of the Lake and top of the Bay. Right now there are 3 Lake teams and 4 Bay teams together in region 14.

Under the current setup the divisions operate as separate conferences when it comes to scheduling. Crossovers are not mandatory, but many voluntary ones do happen to fill out schedules. It's unknown for sure whether mandatory crossovers will be part of this realignment, but I would guess those are likely to be implemented to fill out the byes that Lake and Bay teams will have in weeks 6-10.
Mandatory crossovers (two) are required between the Lake and Bay with the 2023 setup.