Northwest Ohio Realignment

Easy now...

He is more of a Ralphies guy.
I don't think I've ever been to Ralphies (had to google). Seems a bit safe for my tastes. Don't usually care for those filled with cops, fifty sports monitors no one can hear or see places. What's it like?

Someone just told me abou this place though
icecream.jpg

Couple ice cream headaches and it's on! Wonder if they got Vernor's floats? I love the hard stuff.

Last edited:
Yikes...Carey here they come.

Didn't realize they only had 102 total enrollment in their entire 6-12 building. That's unsustainable.
Ironic you say Carey. I always felt that it would be the most logical merging partner, but it seems like every time consolidation is mentioned, it's with Arcadia.

Yikes...Carey here they come.

Didn't realize they only had 102 total enrollment in their entire 6-12 building. That's unsustainable.
If you look at the ODE enrollment data, you'll notice that there are SIX classes K-12 with 10 or fewer students and all but one of those is K-5. There's one class with 11 and two with 12. The biggest class is the current 8th grade with 19. Two thirds of the district-wide enrollment is concentrated 6-12. There's nothing coming.

Last edited:
Don't they merge classes anymore? Back in the day, that wasn't all that rare in the elementaries. Either way, some teacher is going to lose a position but it keeps the school in the community. Doesn't help sports ether way unless they cancel sports at one school and let them play for another. Is that possible?

Don't they merge classes anymore? Back in the day, that wasn't all that rare in the elementaries. Either way, some teacher is going to lose a position but it keeps the school in the community. Doesn't help sports ether way unless they cancel sports at one school and let them play for another. Is that possible?

They would have to withdraw and enroll at that other school and apply to have their eligibility restored. You can't be enrolled at one school and play for another.

yeah I never understood that. Carey and Riverdale would seem the logical choices to me.
The state just needs to step in and dissolve the district with most of it going to Carey and some to Riverdale and Arcadia. I think it is just too spread out for the entire district to go to one school. The side of the current Vanlue district that is far away from school it merges with would be a really long distance. See below the northern part of current Vanlue district maybe a 30+ min drive from Riverdale.
1617921440853.png

The state just needs to step in and dissolve the district with most of it going to Carey and some to Riverdale and Arcadia. I think it is just too spread out for the entire district to go to one school. The side of the current Vanlue district that is far away from school it merges with would be a really long distance. See below the northern part of current Vanlue district maybe a 30+ min drive from Riverdale.
View attachment 16308
Where did you find that map?

They would have to withdraw and enroll at that other school and apply to have their eligibility restored. You can't be enrolled at one school and play for another.

Even if that school doesn't have athletics? I thought home schooled could play with their district school. Am I wrong on that?

Even if that school doesn't have athletics? I thought home schooled could play with their district school. Am I wrong on that?
You're not wrong, but home schooling is a different situation. You can't be physically enrolled in School A and participate in athletics for School B.

What would the reasoning be for excluding a public school kid from playing a sport not available at their own school but no problem for private, home school or charter? I'm not seeing what distinguishes the situations.

What would the reasoning be for excluding a public school kid from playing a sport not available at their own school but no problem for private, home school or charter? I'm not seeing what distinguishes the situations.
Maybe the private schools wanted that rule so the publics wouldn't do something sneaky to get an unfair advantage. :)

Thanks for the explanation, Ericles. I had been wondering what the relationship was between public-, private-, and home-schooled students were, since it seems almost random to the outside observer as to what is permitted.

Earlier this year, we had two local students (enrolled in a private-school), who were participating for two different schools, in two different sports, during the same season. That looked weird, and I couldn't give an explanation when I was asked about the circumstances that would have allowed that.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a student at a public school who wishes to play a sport his school doesn't have has to move or transfer. I'm sure there are students at Continental or Pettisville or Lincolnview who want to play football but can't. What's the harm in them playing for Ayersville or Archbold or Van Wert? Not like a couple kids with little to no experience will make a huge difference.

Who gets temporarily left out?

Whitmer - 1625
Perrysburg - 1252
Findlay - 1175
Anthony Wayne - 1082
Northview - 1014
Springfield - 884
Clay - 874
Ross - 853

Southview - 745
Bowling Green - 714
Napoleon - 506

It's absolutely ridiculous that a student at a public school who wishes to play a sport his school doesn't have has to move or transfer. I'm sure there are students at Continental or Pettisville or Lincolnview who want to play football but can't. What's the harm in them playing for Ayersville or Archbold or Van Wert? Not like a couple kids with little to no experience will make a huge difference.
Because then you get into recruiting battles, and that's a bigger issue than a few kids not being able to play the sport they want to.

I agree. I thought the competitive balance was supposed to account for situations like this?

Ironic you say Carey. I always felt that it would be the most logical merging partner, but it seems like every time consolidation is mentioned, it's with Arcadia.
Because Hancock County isn't going to want to see school district taxes go to a school in a different county.

So it comes down to travel (which I kind of chuckle at) or size in Whitmer.
then the next dominoe would be, what does BG and Napoleon do? I assume Napoleon is going to find a way out.

Can anyone see them staying if its Fremont, Clay, and Findlay added?

I would think they would prefer a move if its Whitmer, Findlay, and Clay just because of the size differences at the top then...

Because then you get into recruiting battles, and that's a bigger issue than a few kids not being able to play the sport they want to.

as opposed to the recruiting battles for... private, open enrollment, .... They assign homeschool students to a district I believe. Can't see why it would need work any differently.

then the next dominoe would be, what does BG and Napoleon do? I assume Napoleon is going to find a way out.

Can anyone see them staying if its Fremont, Clay, and Findlay added?

I would think they would prefer a move if its Whitmer, Findlay, and Clay just because of the size differences at the top then...

I talked to a coach today who said he expects only Clay and Fremont Ross are admitted with the expectation that Napoleon will leave. NLL stays at 8 and the TRAC remains