Northwest Ohio Realignment

Don't even try to distort this into the player's relative value. This discussion isn't about that. It's about the separation between Journalism and social media, presuming it still exists.

Does this writer, supposedly on a moral crusade that the right thing be done, dare question the "wiser heads" closer to his desired outcome about their vote? Shouldn't they have made the ND kid POY outright? According to all reason given in the article by the "journalist;" the accolades, the pursuit by major D1,'s there is only one possible conclusion. The Northview kid should abdicate her half of the award. So why doesn't he have the guts to say it? Why doesn't this crowd?

If you can't see editorial there, you skipped a few English classes.
What about to sneak in a shot at the private-school powerhouse for which she plays? She insisted she had no ulterior motives.
And that is only the beginning. WE get to do that. Journalists? Maybe we've gotten so used to smelling crap, we can't smell anymore. Who needs Covid, robots can't smell. That article is crap.

And while we can’t divine the true motivation of any given vote,

Closest to honest in the entire article but written to give himself permission to add more crap.

If they are going to make the choice a vote, no one, let along moron whose only accomplishment is to be handed a word processor should get to dictate that vote, change that vote, extort that vote, threaten that vote or demonize anyone for that vote in order to extort future "compliance."

What was done here by the blockheads was another case of disgusting and because the cause appears right, because it appears as if he's being the "good guy," because many of those "wiser heads" KNOW they need his good graces, you all are willing to let it slide. There is absolutely nothing in that article that couldn't have been written last week, last month but he chose it to attack someone who is actually doing things for kids. He used it to attack anyone in the future whose vote he doesn't care for. Understand when you're being manipulated.

Simple Solution to all of this madness...

Toledo Area League Public with Large Division and Small divisions...including City League teams

Toledo Area League Private Large and Small Divisions.

Just kidding...still think the NLL expansion happens this next month.

Here's the article, if you actually wanted to read it instead of jumping to conclusions. RT is right, Clay's coach's reasoning of "They beat us bad when she didn't even play = she isn't an important player for their team = she is the 13th ranked player in the district" is a dumb reason to cover up a dumb choice.

Funnily enough, Van Slooten ended up dropping 40 on Clay out of the 82 points NDA scored in the sectional game they played.

Entirely aside from the concerns about the article, stupid is voting on something you've not seen. Do you get to vote for the POY in Cleveland too? Is this a popularity contest or other? If the player didn't play your team, why are you to vote for that player if only to go along to avoid backlash?

In my first post on the subject, I ask WHEN did the vote take place. Are you proposing that votes be made based on things that have not yet occurred? Is that the point of your last "funny?"

The coach had no way to abstain. The coach's reasoning may not have been political but it was sound. If the trophy is for "value to the team," well then no, this particular player is not needed on that team. Their record would barely be different. If the vote is for best player then voting for someone you haven't played is for bloggers and entertainers, not coaches.

How honest the vote was, isn't for me to say factually. I can only opine. I don't know that person. Have never heard her opinions on things. I can say I disagree with the vote but then, I get to have other reasons for making it.

The ONLY reason that coach had to vote for the (obviously) best player was to avoid controversy and backlash at the expense of integrity, I agree 13th is stupid but I also see it stupid that a coach have to vote for someone that has not played them.

Aren't Briggs' or Junga's articles sports editorials themselves? This is different than reporting the score of a game and what happened there. This is him telling a story, giving his take on it, and showing why he believes it. You cannot tell me the Clay coach didn't vote her down that low for no malicious or malignant reason.

I can understand being the 2nd, 3rd, or maybe even 4th player, but ranking a player like Van Slooten 13th out of all the schools in District 7 and simply saying she wasn't a big impact for her team because when she didn't play (because of illness) her team still won big is the most asinine excuse ever. No one is saying Baumhower should abdicate her award, she is a talented player herself and good on her for being co-POY. they are saying that if the Clay coach didn't vote petty, or like her own AD described, "a Maverick," Van Slooten wins that contest.

Briggs' whole point is that the voting system itself is flawed. This same exact thing happened last year with MR-D which is why this article gets written again.

I haven't paid for the Blade in years, but I'm pretty sure Briggs is a columnist and, therefore, paid to formulate and argue opinions.

They are obligated to be "fair." And wouldn't hurt if the amount of journalism exceeded the amount of "opinion" and that being given the stage for that opinion be based upon being something. Anything. Some sort of accomplishment. Regardless, we are free to post our measures of its credibility and that's really all I'm doing. Agree or not.

... You cannot tell me the Clay coach didn't vote her down that low for no malicious reason.

I agree that I can't but you're perfectly willing to let a 20 some who has done what in life, tell you how to think without challenging their doing it?

YOUR choice, you are free to make it. I made mine otherwise. I'm not obligated to them in any fashion. It does give me some freedom to state an opinion. Hope you are the same.

If the writer's whole point or even major point was the voting system was flawed, then that would have been the lead. He wouldn't have thrown a coach under the bus.

I take from that article that they would rather tell and force everyone how to think and make clear they have the power to do it. They made a conclusion and based their conclusion on reasons for the vote on nothing but personal desire or at best, something they were able to fathom but not facts they were able to gather. It's exactly what the writers of that paper were protesting about Block not but a few weeks ago. That's not journalism. That's not even editorial opinion. That's brutal thought policing.

It's important to know the difference. I'm sure they appreciate the clicks you're giving it,that's maybe why they write such crap, to generate controversy and clicks. I hope you're getting a little feedback for your trouble.

Last edited:
I agree that I can't but you're perfectly willing to let a 20 some who has done what in life, tell you how to think without challenging their doing it? YOUR choice, you are free to make it. I made mine otherwise. I'm not obligated to them in any fashion. It does give me some freedom to state an opinion. Hope you are the same. I take from that article that they would rather tell and force everyone how to think. They made a conclcusion and based their conclusion on reasons for the vote on nothing but personal desire or at best, something they were able to fathom but not facts they were able to gather. That's not journalism. That's not even editorial opinion. That's brutal thought policing. I'm sure they appreciate the clicks you're giving it, I hope you're getting a little feedback for your trouble.

30 some. I believe he's in his 30's.

I agree that I can't but you're perfectly willing to let a 20 some who has done what in life, tell you? YOUR choice, you are free to make it. I made mine otherwise.
Are you saying I'm letting Briggs tell me what to think? If so, that is very funny. I already thought the vote was petty, I don't need him to tell me that. I read the article because I knew it would give some context to the situation, and some more information outside of a Jordan Strack tweet.

I'm looking at the facts of what happened and calling BS on what the Clay coach's reasoning was (which I know because I read the article). At the very least, her gave her a chance to defend herself, even if it was a (in my sole opinion, not influenced by Briggs, FYI) very disingenuous reason.

Entirely aside from the concerns about the article, stupid is voting on something you've not seen. Do you get to vote for the POY in Cleveland too? Is this a popularity contest or other? If the player didn't play your team, why are you to vote for that player if only to go along to avoid backlash?

In my first post on the subject, I ask WHEN did the vote take place. Are you proposing that votes be made based on things that have not yet occurred? Is that the point of your last "funny?"
This is in-district voting. There are 13 teams in D1 district 7 (where this vote took place). I believe they look at the statistics of the players nominated because simply giving names and going with the flow is ignorance. I understand your concern about voting for a player they haven't played, but Van Slooten has god knows how many D1 offers, and is ranked very high in the class of 2022. You can't tell me these district coaches haven't at least heard of her whether they want to or not.

The point of my last "funny" is noting the irony of her saying that her vote was based on Van Slooten not being a big impact of her team and then having Van Slooten score nearly half of her teams points and scoring more than Clay's entire team combined. No, I'm not saying they should've voted based on something that hadn't happened yet. Common sense.

The Dad is a Maumee Police Officer. They are very good 3 sport athletes, but I doubt they were ever going to Maumee.

Is your argument that the kids from Perrysburg/Eastwood/etc. were taking playing time away from Maumee kids at the youth level? I always assumed that Maumee would stay away from open enrollment to protect home values in the fairgrounds/turnpike area - not sure if that's still the case.
That’s nice his dad is a Maumee police officer but they don’t live in Maumee and had no intention of attending Maumee schools. It’s funny you mention them being 3 sport athletes, notice they didn’t play Maumee Little League because they wouldn’t allow it. He’s far from the only one who did this and I don’t blame them for finding the best situation to develop their talents but my point wasn’t to call out specific kids.

Yes, that is my argument. MYF was producing multiple teams in 3rd-4th grade and 5th-6th grade every year filled with kids from all over northwest Ohio so they could win games and championships nobody cares about. Sitting Maumee kids on the bench and allowing anyone with talent to take their spot. When the league began it was about introducing Maumee kids to football and allowing them a chance to learn the sport with coaches who cared about the success of the Maumee program as a whole. At some point a few parents decided being the best youth team was more important and a lot of Maumee kids were turned away from the sport before even reaching middle school. I believe that has been changed and the league is back to Maumee only.

That’s nice his dad is a Maumee police officer but they don’t live in Maumee and had no intention of attending Maumee schools. It’s funny you mention them being 3 sport athletes, notice they didn’t play Maumee Little League because they wouldn’t allow it. He’s far from the only one who did this and I don’t blame them for finding the best situation to develop their talents but my point wasn’t to call out specific kids.

Yes, that is my argument. MYF was producing multiple teams in 3rd-4th grade and 5th-6th grade every year filled with kids from all over northwest Ohio so they could win games and championships nobody cares about. Sitting Maumee kids on the bench and allowing anyone with talent to take their spot. When the league began it was about introducing Maumee kids to football and allowing them a chance to learn the sport with coaches who cared about the success of the Maumee program as a whole. At some point a few parents decided being the best youth team was more important and a lot of Maumee kids were turned away from the sport before even reaching middle school. I believe that has been changed and the league is back to Maumee only.

Maumee has struggled mightily populating their youth football team since it started in the mid to late 00's (I've NEVER heard of more than 3-4 teams in an age group, which is a SMALL youth program), and even then, they had to fight to get a spot to play/practice because the community deemed Rolf Park to (rightfully) be untouchable. The truth is that football isn't as popular in Maumee as it is in other areas, and some of those areas don't have youth teams of their own...that simple arithmetic means that some players will be from places that don't have youth programs of their own. Hell, that happens in EVERY sport, I played for Maumee Express back when it was a solid team that competed with the likes of Celtics and Pacesetter in the late 90's early 00's (coincidently, also when Maumee HS soccer was the best it has ever been in general, tied closely to their enrollment as well admittedly), and no one complained about the kids from Columbian, Bryan, Northview, AW, and Findlay who played for our team because we had a better shot at competing...and oddly enough, it made the high school program far better too.

Maumee sports are just in a rut manufactured by the decline in enrollment, an overzealous school board not recognizing what that declining enrollment would mean, and nearly a decade long ineptitude in most every sport in their athletic department BECAUSE of that school board's decision (performance momentum is the hardest thing to stop, as kids don't want to lose, and going to Maumee, it's almost a predetermined outcome). Has nothing to do with guys from Eastwood, Perrysburg, etc. playing youth football. Hopefully, that same board doesn't make another move because of 20 minutes on easy driving roads.

Last edited:
I agree that I can't but you're perfectly willing to let a 20 some who has done what in life, tell you how to think without challenging their doing it?

YOUR choice, you are free to make it. I made mine otherwise. I'm not obligated to them in any fashion. It does give me some freedom to state an opinion. Hope you are the same.

If the writer's whole point or even major point was the voting system was flawed, then that would have been the lead. He wouldn't have thrown a coach under the bus.

I take from that article that they would rather tell and force everyone how to think and make clear they have the power to do it. They made a conclusion and based their conclusion on reasons for the vote on nothing but personal desire or at best, something they were able to fathom but not facts they were able to gather. It's exactly what the writers of that paper were protesting about Block not but a few weeks ago. That's not journalism. That's not even editorial opinion. That's brutal thought policing.

It's important to know the difference. I'm sure they appreciate the clicks you're giving it,that's maybe why they write such crap, to generate controversy and clicks. I hope you're getting a little feedback for your trouble.
Good lord. You need to chill out.

David Briggs is a COLUMNIST. HE WRITES COLUMNS.

If you’d actually read the column, which at least you admitted you barely did, you’d know that he actually had quotes from the Clay coach and AD regarding the whole thing. It wasn’t some screed that ordered people to agree with him.

He’s not ordering anyone to think his way, just like any other columnist in any other outlet. You disagree with his take, cool, fine. This is America, nobody’s stopping you.

But acting like a column saying that a fairly obvious problem in this District 7 voting is “thought policing?” Dude you need to get some fresh air or something.

Also you said this was the exact thing the writers were protesting against the Blocks and that’s just flatly not true. Ledes and references were altered with no communication to the journalists involved in a clearly politically-motivated decision from above in that circumstance. Unless you’re referring to the staff shakeup in recent weeks, which is even less germane to this.
Again. Chill out.

FWIW, those two were on my son's Kindergarten flag football team (and we went undefeated).

I get what you're saying about trying to develop kids and program depth at the youth level. I think it's tough to do in a metro area because parents have so many options.

This should be in the basketball thread.....however while it's here - I mean, her own AD could barely muster words to "support" her on the incident. The whole thing is crap, it's probably why we shouldn't have post-season awards at all, and finally this comes out publicly. If seeding voting and post-season votes, including those made by the coaches AND media were all made public maybe, just maybe there'd be some integrity in the entire process.

This is in-district voting. There are 13 teams in D1 district 7 (where this vote took place). I believe they look at the statistics of the players nominated because simply giving names and going with the flow is ignorance. I understand your concern about voting for a player they haven't played, but Van Slooten has god knows how many D1 offers, and is ranked very high in the class of 2022. You can't tell me these district coaches haven't at least heard of her whether they want to or not.

The point of my last "funny" is noting the irony of her saying that her vote was based on Van Slooten not being a big impact of her team and then having Van Slooten score nearly half of her teams points and scoring more than Clay's entire team combined. No, I'm not saying they should've voted based on something that hadn't happened yet. Common sense.

1) the coach never claimed to have not "heard" of her not discounted the player's talent. That's a seriously unfair process you're going through, similar to the writer of that article. 2) Foresight not available. 3) More than supports the Coach's assessment in hindsight. If the result with the player was no different than the result without the player, where exactly is the over-whelming value to the team? The Oregon Coach reasoned that out rather well. Did you miss that, ignore that, or discount that?

1) the coach never claimed to have not "heard" of her not discounted the player's talent. That's a seriously unfair process you're going through, similar to the writer of that article. 2) Foresight not available. 3) More than supports the Coach's assessment in hindsight. If the result with the player was no different than the result without the player, where exactly is the over-whelming value to the team? The Oregon Coach reasoned that out rather well. Did you miss that, ignore that, or discount that?
Does it mean she was right in ranking the player 13th in the district? At the end of the day, whatever "defense" she has still doesn't discount the fact that she ranked an nationally recruited prospect 13th and only relented when her AD told her to at least let said recruit tie for POY.

This should be in the basketball thread.....however while it's here - I mean, her own AD could barely muster words to "support" her on the incident. The whole thing is crap, it's probably why we shouldn't have post-season awards at all, and finally this comes out publicly. If seeding voting and post-season votes, including those made by the coaches AND media were all made public maybe, just maybe there'd be some integrity in the entire process.

Which was my next point. Beach. Nice guy, from what I've been told. But it wasn't his vote. Getting reasons behind the vote, fair game.

My next concern is this reference to "wiser heads" resulting in a change of the coach's vote. If those wiser heads have influence on that coach's position, it's reasonable to say this should be investigated at the ODE level.

No one seems to want to answer the hypothetical.

Using this writer's (and apparently aaCC!'s) reasoning that what's important here are D1 offers, notoriety...., shouldn't the Northview kid abdicate her half of the Trophy? I mean, she only got it because one Coach in Oregon, Ohio apparently didn't give the ND player her due even after ( being coerced?) changing the vote so that a tie would occur. By all that is right, shouldn't the ND player be given the trophy outright? That is what duh'writer insists is the only correct result.

You know, I was really wondering why IB was so .... upset at the original posting of this. Thought maybe the coach a friend. But that article being so poorly written and with usual duh'blade vendetta, it helped me see a bigger picture.

It was and is a very important topic totally botched by that writer and if he can, I can, with malicious intent. It is a topic worth the small 1st column where opinion editorials, clearly marked, used to go. Not within what was disguised as journalism. It was an abuse of power and integrity by the paper and the writer.

Last edited:
Does it mean she was right in ranking the player 13th in the district? At the end of the day, whatever "defense" she has still doesn't discount the fact that she ranked an nationally recruited prospect 13th and only relented when her AD told her to at least let said recruit tie for POY.
You yourself claim the article was about "flawed" voting process. How can there be a discussion on how to vote "right" in a flawed system?

How well would it have gone if she'd left the kid off the ballet entirely? How in any way is that player's recruiting a factor? Is this "The Most Recruited" player award? This isn't on the coach. There is no support anything was done maliciously, which by association that coach was accused, without evidence. No one here should be supporting that article. It's wishful thinking to think that type of attack can't happen to anyone, not with the program.

Last edited:

In the article, it clearly states that the coach has seen her play. Sure, it was last year, but, yes, she was familiar.
Which was my next point. Beach. Nice guy, from what I've been told. But it wasn't his vote. Getting reasons behind the vote, fair game.

My next concern is this reference to "wiser heads" resulting in a change of the coach's vote. If those wiser heads have influence on that coach's position, it's reasonable to say this should be investigated at the ODE level.

No one seems to want to answer the hypothetical.

Using this writer's (and apparently aaCC!'s) reasoning that what's important here are D1 offers, notoriety...., shouldn't the Northview kid abdicate her half of the Trophy? I mean, she only got it because one Coach in Oregon, Ohio apparently ddn't give the ND player her due even after ( being coerced?) to change the vote?

You know, I was really wondering why IB was so .... upset I guess fair at the original posting of this. thought maybe the coach a friend. But that article being so poorly written and with usual duh'blade vendetta, it helped me see a bigger picture.

It was and is a very important topic totally botched by that writer.
You yourself claim the article was about "flawed" voting process. How can there be a discussion on how to vote "right" in a flawed system?

How well would it have gone if she'd left the kid off the ballet entirely? How in any way is that player's recruiting a factor? Is this "The Most Recruited" player award? This isn't on the coach. There is no support anything was done maliciously, which by association that coach was accused, without evidence. No one here should be supporting that article. It's wishful thinking to think that type of attack can't happen to anyone, not with the program.

You're an idiot.

Listen, if the Clay coach wants to fly a bit under the radar and make herself feel better, vote her second or third or something. At least make it look inconspicuous. Voting her 13th just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Same thing happened in our region this year for football. A sour grapes coach who had a really bad team voted us a 10-seed in the region (we were unbeaten). It cost us the #2 seed. That vote stuck out like a sore thumb. I think the next lowest vote we had was 5th.

1) In the article, it clearly states that the coach has seen her play. Sure, it was last year, but, yes, she was familiar.

2) You're an idiot.

You claim what happened last year should dictate the vote this year and you're calling others "idiots?" AN idiot you apparently can't counter with any intelligence. So, are you afraid to answer the question?

Using what happened last year (since that is apparently important), using all the national player rankings, all the recruiting by D1 players, all these things I hear are apparently the deciders in this vote, let's hear your justification that this vote is a tie and should not be given outright to the ND player.

Listen, if the Clay coach wants to fly a bit under the radar and make herself feel better, vote her second or third or something. At least make it look inconspicuous. Voting her 13th just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Same thing happened in our region this year for football. A sour grapes coach who had a really bad team voted us a 10-seed in the region (we were unbeaten). It cost us the #2 seed. That vote stuck out like a sore thumb. I think the next lowest vote we had was 5th.

You're saying change one politic for another to avoid controversy, not risk the $$$. And how does that "fix" anything? You're accusing the coach of fraud and say mitigate by commtting ... less fraud? How about, let people vote as they are going to vote and you live with the imperfect world? Or you provide people a means to abstain?

Last edited:
I think that is happening more and more with HS sports reporting and reporting on local schools in general. Gotta stay solvent somehow

I am glad you wrote this. I always wondered why, with Maumee Youth Football (which ends in 6th grade), that Maumee was getting 15 kids out for 7th grade football. Many successful cities have a youth football program that is viewed as developmental and NOT strictly about wins and losses.

Does anyone have the actual written description of what these coaches are asked to vote on for end of year awards? Did the writer even ask? Im kind of interested in where I might find personal rocks and hard places.

I realize some tired a girl's b-ball issue on the football forum but this seems to have some cross-over.

Maumee has struggled mightily populating their youth football team since it started in the mid to late 00's (I've NEVER heard of more than 3-4 teams in an age group, which is a SMALL youth program), and even then, they had to fight to get a spot to play/practice because the community deemed Rolf Park to (rightfully) be untouchable. The truth is that football isn't as popular in Maumee as it is in other areas, and some of those areas don't have youth teams of their own...that simple arithmetic means that some players will be from places that don't have youth programs of their own. Hell, that happens in EVERY sport, I played for Maumee Express back when it was a solid team that competed with the likes of Celtics and Pacesetter in the late 90's early 00's (coincidently, also when Maumee HS soccer was the best it has ever been in general, tied closely to their enrollment as well admittedly), and no one complained about the kids from Columbian, Bryan, Northview, AW, and Findlay who played for our team because we had a better shot at competing...and oddly enough, it made the high school program far better too.

Maumee sports are just in a rut manufactured by the decline in enrollment, an overzealous school board not recognizing what that declining enrollment would mean, and nearly a decade long ineptitude in most every sport in their athletic department BECAUSE of that school board's decision (performance momentum is the hardest thing to stop, as kids don't want to lose, and going to Maumee, it's almost a predetermined outcome). Has nothing to do with guys from Eastwood, Perrysburg, etc. playing youth football. Hopefully, that same board doesn't make another move because of 20 minutes on easy driving roads.

Maumee has gone through quite a few coaches too in girls basketball with one being non-renewed last year and three out of the last four I believe being non-renewed (or resigning because the writing was on the wall). The boys basketball coach was let go. He is currently the head coach at Delta. I don't know enough about those situations to speculate. Their football coach came from Clyde and was at Maumee for 6 years and averaged 2.8 wins a year with his final year being 0-10.

Maumee is the 2nd smallest school in the conference. I would be interested to see a head to head comparison between them and Napoleon over the last 6 or 7 years or so. Maumee's football team during that stretch in the non-NLL portion of their schedule had a 39% winning percentage. The only wins came against Bowsher (3 wins) and Waite and Start (2 wins each). They have not defeated a non-TCL opponent in football since 2012.

Maumee is for sure in a valley. Frankly without some sort of league change, it could start a death spiral. Hopefully as the parent of a current athlete and with 3 younger kids in the system, this will happen.

You claim what happened last year should dictage the vote this year and you're calling others "idiots." AN idiot you apparently can't counter with any intelligence. So, afraid to answer the question?

Using what happened last year (since that is apparently important), using all the national player rankings, all the recruiting by D1 players, all these things I hear are apparently the deciders in this vote, let's hear your justification that this vote is a tie and should not be given to the ND player outright?

The damage was already done.
You claim what happened last year should dictate the vote this year and you're calling others "idiots?" AN idiot you apparently can't counter with any intelligence. So, are you afraid to answer the question?

Using what happened last year (since that is apparently important), using all the national player rankings, all the recruiting by D1 players, all these things I hear are apparently the deciders in this vote, let's hear your justification that this vote is a tie and should not be given outright to the ND player.

You're saying change one politic for another to avoid controversy, not risk the $$$. And how does that "fix" anything? You're accusing the coach of fraud and say mitigate by commtting ... less fraud? How about, let people vote as they are going to vote and you live with the imperfect world? Or you provide people a means to abstain?

I'm not saying its right - I am saying if she wants to be an idiot, at least be a smart idiot and avoid this kind of controversy and drawing ungodly amounts of attention to herself.

As I've preached for many years, my plan would be to just get rid of all the post-season awards, all-district, all-Ohio, state rankings, etc and call it a season. Let it all play out in the post-season tournament on the court.

Maumee is the 2nd smallest school in the conference. I would be interested to see a head to head comparison between them and Napoleon over the last 6 or 7 years or so.
I'm told Napoleon has a slight edge since entering the league but don't have numbers.

I'm told Napoleon has a slight edge since entering the league but don't have numbers.
Napoleon is 6-4 vs Maumee in the 10 years they’ve been in the NLL.
The other smaller schools, BG and Southview are both 7-3 in that time.

3-7 vs NV
2-8 vs AW
2-8 vs PB
2-8 vs Springfield

Not as bad as you’d expect considering Maumee is 1-20 the last 3 seasons with one win over SV. Take out 2011, 2012 and 2017 (13-8 combined) and it looks a lot worse (7 seasons 6-43)

Last edited: