Northwest Ohio Realignment

As I said earlier, an NBC/NWOAL champ would for sure at least be a 7-3 team in the NLL.
That's an interesting take, let's use 2019 Liberty Center-NWOAL co-champ. Only have one team in the NLL for comparisons but LC beat Napoleon 26-7. Napoleon then went 4-3 in the NLL with losses to Springfield(13-20) AW(0-21) and Perrysburg(7-31) So, replace Napoleon with LC and you think they have those same 3 losses? 2018 is worse for this argument as LC wasn't even league champs and they blanked Napoleon 21-0 who went on to go 5-2 in the NLL.

I think the “current format” in the letters to the BOE are telling, they are all leaving the door open.

I think if Swanton, Delta, Evergreen leave for the new conference, which appears likely, we’ll see Patrick Henry follow suit to the BVC. This would leave Wauseon, Bryan, and Archbold to jump to the NLL together, and potentially bring along Defiance. I think Defiance would only consider the move if they had the stability of a league that involves those three plus Napoleon, BG, and Maumee in the same division. I just don’t see the people in Defiance wanting to leave a stable conference for a depleted NWOAL. I would love the NWOAL to stay together but I don't see how they get to eight teams. Even if you add Napoleon and Defiance and get to six teams, I have to think Liberty Center will be always looking for something that fits them better as they will be overmatched in everything but football and cross country.

Personally, I think it’s in Liberty Center’s best interest to join the NBC, or the newly created league Swanton is pushing for. They would fit perfectly in the new league in terms of enrollment, location, and competitiveness, but we’ll see if they let them in. In my opinion there is no excuse not to.

That's an interesting take, let's use 2019 Liberty Center-NWOAL co-champ. Only have one team in the NLL for comparisons but LC beat Napoleon 26-7. Napoleon then went 4-3 in the NLL with losses to Springfield(13-20) AW(0-21) and Perrysburg(7-31) So, replace Napoleon with LC and you think they have those same 3 losses? 2018 is worse for this argument as LC wasn't even league champs and they blanked Napoleon 21-0 who went on to go 5-2 in the NLL.

Hence "at least." Size be damed, some of those LC, Archbold, and Wauseon teams could have possibly won the NLL.

For further comparison, changing leagues a bit. Let's take the 2020 7th place NLL Southview and 2020 WBL 10th place Defiance. Both went 1-9. 3 common opponents.

Napoleon: Defiance 28-0, Southview 35-0
Bowling Green: Defiance 56-13 (Defiance actually came close to outgaining them, somehow), Southview 19-14 (what the HELL happened? BG playing all JV once out of the playoffs?

But the big one that sticks out.

Lima Shawnee: Defiance 7-0, Southview 40-0.

Shawnee scored 44 points combined in their first 4 games, and 128 all season. Never more than 21 in ANY game, except that outburst.

My point here? Not to kick the NLL, but the bottom of the WBL would compete very well and probably beat Maumee, the Sylvania schools, and maybe even Springfield. And I bet we can say the same about most leagues in the area. Hell a middle of the road GMC team beat Maumee 55-6.....

While it’s a basketball thing, it also speaks to the animosity in the TRAC and he brought that up in the article.
Exactly, and it was discussed earlier in this thread which is why I posted it here. You are now free to go back to the league change discussion (you always were) and your never-ending reports from "very reliable sources".

Southview and Maumee are at historical lows in terms of football success over the last three seasons. Springfield was bound to drop off once Gucciardo left. If you go back any further than that I think you’d be hard pressed to find seasons where the NLL wasn’t on another level compared to the NBC and NWOAL. In 2017 Springfield, AW, Maumee and Northview were all very solid. BG finished 6th and went 3-4 in conference and beat tied for second in the NBC Otsego (6-1) by 14 for the 4th of 5 straight times before the game wasn’t renewed in ‘19.

That 2014 Springfield team went 4-3 in conference with all 4 wins coming by 5 points or less. I know a win is a win but they could have just as easily gone 0-7 that season. Swanton on the other hand lost 2 of 3 conference games by less than a touchdown.

Last edited:
Maybe if the best players in Maumee Youth Football over the last decade didn’t become all league players at Eastwood, Perrysburg, and SJJ among other schools they wouldn’t be in the situation they are now and I believe that problem has been solved recently.

Maybe if the best players in Maumee Youth Football over the last decade didn’t become all league players at Eastwood, Perrysburg, and SJJ among other schools they wouldn’t be in the situation they are now and I believe that problem has been solved recently.

What Maumee kids have gone to Eastwood?

And also look at some of the teams Genoa & Eastwood have had in the NBC. Hell 2017 Eastwood waxed both a 5-5 BG and a 6-4 Maumee squad. The NLL is not this juggernaut league, so the fact that a school like Maumee has to leave such convenience because they are THAT bad in athletics is telling, especially when NBC/NWOAL schools have been fielding better teams with 300-450 students.

And then with the TRAC, it's pure stupidity to try and leave the private schools when you'll still meet up with them in the playoffs/postseason in sports

What Maumee kids have gone to Eastwood?
The problem is they weren’t “Maumee kids” just played for Maumees youth teams. Specifically one who has a couple brothers playing now.

And also look at some of the teams Genoa & Eastwood have had in the NBC. Hell 2017 Eastwood waxed both a 5-5 BG and a 6-4 Maumee squad.

Yes the 2nd best team in d5 in 2017 beat Maumee (4th in the nll) by 20 ..closest game they had all year outside of Genoa (who was ranked #1 in d5 the next year) and their state semi and championship games. I don’t think that’s a reflection of a bad NLL. Also, BG beat both Otsego and Rossford that year from the NBC...

Last edited:
Last year’s Maumee team may not have gotten it done against the TAAC.
Go look back at Maumees record in 99-00 or 06-07 then look at their records from 01-04 and 08-11. Part of it is that its cyclical, and part is how the program has been handled from the bottom up, I believe better days are ahead.

Like I've said numerous times on here over the past month...the logical end to this journey is Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance and a 4th team (likely Archbold/L-B) in a small school division and the TRAC publics in a large school division with the respective NLL schools by enrollment. This whole NWOAL/TAAC thing looking to progress just further solidifies that for me. Only thing that stops that from happening are illogical arguments (let's keep losing by 10 scores in every sport instead of driving an extra 20 minutes).

I wonder how the people of Swanton and the actual kids who go to the school feel about this or if it’s just being driven by an AD feeling pressure to get results. Like have they done any sort of public correspondence or open forum where Swantonians can voice their opinion??

I wonder how the people of Swanton and the actual kids who go to the school feel about this or if it’s just being driven by an AD feeling pressure to get results. Like have they done any sort of public correspondence or open forum where Swantonians can voice their opinion??

Athletes normally don't care all that much WHO they play as long as their primary rivals are on the schedules (source: me, coaching for two separate high schools who changed conferences in the state of Ohio through the years).

So basically, from what you are saying, if a Catholic school gets good at a particular sport they should go independent for their sports? The only programs from the Catholic schools that have had consistent success are Central in football, Notre Dame in basketball, St. Ursula in volleyball, and St. Francis in hockey. The rest of all of their sports are decent, but definitely not dominant.

St. John's in tennis. They've won all but one of the TRAC championships and they won the final 8 years they were in the City League. That's 15 league titles in 16 years. Add in 7 state final four appearances in that span.

.. article on Van Slooten controversy.
Briggs-Why-did-one-coach-vote-VanSlooten-13th-in-the-district/stories/20210223107

1) They're behind a payroll Jafo. No one can read it.
2) What I was able to see with a couple refreshes before that big window loaded up too fast, the journalist gets a reasoned explanation from the coach. This is good. Then the "journalist" editorializes that the explanation is reasoned. Then the "journalist" editorialized for what looked like many pages, how the real reasons were something much more diabolical. It was a piece of . Best I could gather.

So let's editorialize.

What has this blockhead ever done in life? Compared to a coach? Compared to anyone who works, with people? Ever built anything? Created a business? A charity? Did he even succeed in the areas on which he reports? Or did he..

go to middle school, go to high school, sleep through a few college classes on writing, then begin a job editorializing about people that actually do things? Why do WE give a pass to a person who spent one paragraph on journalism and what looked like it must have been several pages on editorializing? This person who .... has ..... done ...... nothing.

What's his agenda? What are his biases? If newspapers want to use the writing skills of the people in their employ to write fiction, not a bad idea. But separate it from the journalism.

On message boards we get to editorialize. You posted a link to crap Jafo. An attack job on the presumed intentions and on the person of someone that doesn't have equal resources to fire back. Crap that has become so normal, we accept it without challenge so that the next generations think it's journalism.

Well, I hope I got that right. Only had a few seconds to gather facts before the paywall went up.

Last edited:
Oh look another adult with a derogatory term that works to insult a local city and an entire state. Classy.
A. Swanton is a village and having lived in and paid taxes to said village for 2 1/2 years I wore that term as a badge of honor. B. I have nothing against the Bluegrass State as I had 2 chicken little sandwiches for lunch last Saturday. C. If you are looking for classy I would suggest things like the opening of a car dealership or Mr. Peanut, not a Football sports forum on Yappi.com

Last edited:
The problem is they weren’t “Maumee kids” just played for Maumees youth teams. Specifically one who has a couple brothers playing now.

Yes the 2nd best team in d5 in 2017 beat Maumee (4th in the nll) by 20 ..closest game they had all year outside of Genoa (who was ranked #1 in d5 the next year) and their state semi and championship games. I don’t think that’s a reflection of a bad NLL. Also, BG beat both Otsego and Rossford that year from the NBC...

The Dad is a Maumee Police Officer. They are very good 3 sport athletes, but I doubt they were ever going to Maumee.

Is your argument that the kids from Perrysburg/Eastwood/etc. were taking playing time away from Maumee kids at the youth level? I always assumed that Maumee would stay away from open enrollment to protect home values in the fairgrounds/turnpike area - not sure if that's still the case.

I think the point that some others have made about home values/kids aging out of the system but the parents staying has had a pretty big impact on Maumee athletically. Rossford is in the same situation, but it seems like they're maybe a few years ahead of Maumee in the cycle and starting to see some turnover in housing stock.

2) What I was able to see with a couple refreshes before that big window loaded up too fast, the journalist gets a reasoned explanation from the coach. This is good. Then the "journalist" editorializes that the explanation is reasoned. Then the "journalist" editorialized for what looked like many pages, how the real reasons were something much more diabolical. It was a piece of . Best I could gather.

So let's editorialize.

What has this blockhead ever done in life? Compared to a coach? Compared to anyone who works, with people? Ever built anything? Created a business? A charity? Did he even succeed in the areas on which he reports? Or did he..

go to middle school, go to high school, sleep through a few college classes on writing, then begin a job editorializing about people that actually do things? Why do WE give a pass to a person who spent one paragraph on journalism and what looked like it must have been several pages on editorializing? This person who .... has ..... done ...... nothing.

What's his agenda? What are his biases? If newspapers want to use the writing skills of the people in their employ to write fiction, not a bad idea. But separate it from the journalism.

On message boards we get to editorialize. You posted a link to crap Jafo. An attack job on the presumed intentions and on the person of someone that doesn't have equal resources to fire back. Crap that has become so normal, we accept it without challenge so that the next generations think it's journalism.

Well, I hope I got that right. Only had a few seconds to gather facts before the paywall went up.

Well, in this case, the guy got it right and Clay’s coach was called out for the total baboon she is. What’s even better was exposing her reasoning, which wasn’t close to being reasoning. The article was well deserved. There wasn’t a fine line here - what she did was completely sour grapes and it was so sour that she couldn’t even come up with a good story to cover it.

So let's editorialize.

David Briggs said:
There are many things open to debate in this world.

Whether Grace VanSlooten is one of the top girls basketball players in northwest Ohio is not one of them.

A dynamic junior forward ranked by ESPN as the 16th-best high school prospect in the nation in the 2022 class, VanSlooten is in the middle of another dominant season, averaging 20.2 points and 12.7 rebounds for No. 5 Notre Dame.

By any account, the reigning Blade player of the year is one of the finest players to ever pass through Toledo.

Well, almost any.

I say all of this to set the stage for the latest act in the theater of the absurd, as presented by the most imaginative basketball coaches in District 7.

A year after the dramarama of the rogue voter who cost Toledo Christian star Madison Royal-Davis initial recognition as the Division IV district player of the year — the Ayersville coach voted the most prolific girls scorer in Toledo history 12th — we have a ballot just as detached from reality.

In the Division I vote this season, Clay coach Julia Henneman-Dallape put VanSlooten ... 13th.

13th!

And it was no oversight, per sources with knowledge of the situation.

When confronted about her vote — an outlier so extreme that it prevented VanSlooten from winning player of the year by four points — Henneman-Dallape stood by her ballot. It was only after wiser heads prevailed that she agreed to bump up her vote just enough to create a first-place tie for top district honors in Division I.

VanSlooten and Northview senior guard Kacee Baumhower were named co-players of the year.

Now, before we go on, I can see some of you nodding your heads.

What else is new, right? Instances of small-time politics influencing high school awards voting are as old as a summer day is long.

We’re not here to turn a relative molehill into Kilimanjaro. Nor are we out to vilify any coach or take anything away from Baumhower, a truly fantastic player who deserves every accolade that comes her way.

Just ask VanSlooten, who is as gracious as she is gifted.

“When I talked to Grace,” Notre Dame coach Travis Galloway said, “her comment to me was that she was honored to be co-player of the year with another great player, Kacee, who's had a great year herself.”

Well said.

Still, while all is well that ends well, nothing will ever change if these behind-the-scenes disputes remain in the shadows, written off as politics as usual.

Sometimes, there are votes so mystifyingly beyond reason — and so apparently vindictive toward a rival school — that they warrant an explanation.

This is one of those cases.

In a brief interview, Henneman-Dallape, the first-year Clay coach, said her vote was strictly merit-based, noting her team’s lone regular-season meeting against Notre Dame. VanSlooten was out with an illness that sidelined her for one game.

“We didn't play against her this year,” Henneman-Dallape said. “Not to discredit her whatsoever, but our first game against them was 92-19 without playing against her. Then I looked at other teams where, without a certain player, would those teams be as successful? By no means was there any intent to discredit her ability.”

What about to sneak in a shot at the private-school powerhouse for which she plays? She insisted she had no ulterior motives.

“Look, these kids work hard, and by no means was this there was any malicious intent behind this,” Henneman-Dallape said. “I don't understand why an adult would punish a child, especially one that they don't know. There was absolutely no malice involved in any of this. I think there have been a lot of people that are misinformed and speaking without asking what the reasoning was behind it.”

Fair enough, I suppose.

It’s just that the reasoning is hard to fathom. That would be like saying LeBron James is not an All-Star because the Lakers won a game without him. Or that Nick Saban is a dime-a-dozen coach because Alabama beat Auburn 42-13 without him there this season.

Worth noting: Henneman-Dallape is well aware of VanSlooten, having seen her play before — her daughter was a star at Clay last season — and, for that matter, since the vote. (In Notre Dame’s 82-24 over Clay in a Division I sectional final last week, VanSlooten scored 35 points in the first half. She finished with 40.)

Also worth noting: EVERYONE is aware of VanSlooten, including Baylor, Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, and Tennessee, just to name a few of the big-time schools in her out-the-door line of suitors.

To vote VanSlooten the 13th-best player in one small division of one small corner of Ohio — there are 13 Division I girls teams in District 7 — is, of course, nonsensical.

And while we can’t divine the true motivation of any given vote, I’ll repeat what I said last year about voting for high school awards.

There is a difference between the provincial — as in giving priority to the local players you know best — and the personal, and there’s never a reason for an adult to weaponize his or her vote against a kid in the name of some petty grievance or broader commentary.

Clay athletic director Mark Beach could not have preached any louder when he spoke of the need for reform.

“I’m not comfortable with the voting process,” he said. “In every sport, when it comes to seeding teams or postseason individual awards, there is almost always block voting. There's also almost always a situation where it’s in a coach's best interest, the way it’s set up, to fight for his or her own kid. And in fighting for his own kid, it’s in his best interest to vote — I don’t want to say disingenuously — but to vote somebody else a little lower than they ordinarily would.

“From my vantage point, when you talk a coach about that, they're like, ‘Well, I'm fighting for my kid.’ You want coaches fighting for their kid. But what you're trying to do is get the best kids and the best teams the appropriate acknowledgement, self-interest be damned. And you can't get rid of the self-interest the way it is today. I would love to see them throw out the low votes. That way if a coach intentionally tanks a team or a player, it’s like the old U.S.-Russia days. The Russian scores you a 6, the others give you a 9, you throw out the anomaly. There’s a better way of doing this.”

As for the anomaly in question here, Beach said he did not tell Henneman-Dallape to change her ballot, but he and others did ask her to reconsider, laying out the potential far-reaching consequences of a vote that was difficult to defend.

“The biggest thing I said to her is that you need to understand the biggest sources of conflict are seeding and the voting on awards,” he said. “When you’re a maverick, you're setting yourself up and your kids up for payback. That's not going to be a one-time thing.”

Here’s hoping that isn’t the case, but I wouldn’t hold my breath, either.

As we’ve sadly learned season after season, it wouldn’t be February without a completely needless high school voting controversy.

I dialed Galloway for the second time in a year this week. Our previous conversation was about the last Ballot-Gate, given his former role as president of the Northwest Ohio Basketball Coaches Association. Before we ended this call, he laughed.

“Hey, I’m not going to lie,” he said, “hopefully we don’t talk next February.”

Here's the article, if you actually wanted to read it instead of jumping to conclusions. RT is right, Clay's coach's reasoning of "They beat us bad when she didn't even play = she isn't an important player for their team = she is the 13th ranked player in the district" is a dumb reason to cover up a dumb choice. His main focus is actually how dumb and prone to drama the current ranking system is, and how it should be revamped. Any criticism of Clay's coach isn't "editorialized," it is rational and deserved. At least she changed it to let Van Slooten tie with Kacee Baumhower (who herself is also a really good area player).

Funnily enough, Van Slooten ended up dropping 40 on Clay out of the 82 points NDA scored in the sectional game they played.