Northwest Ohio Realignment

tenor.gif

So basically, Elmwood buhbitched out on the NBC because they cannot compete in a league with schools relative to their size... got it

Look at the last seven years or so. Elmwood has basically only beaten Woodmore and Toledo Christian with one or two other programs sprinkled in. It's not like they'll go to the BVC and go straight to the top either, but it probably allows them to have a chance going into a season instead of knowing things won't be great.

There's no way Woodmore sticks around. It's either whats left of the TAAC or SBC River.

I see the NWOAL looking like this if the 3 teams decide to leave...still haven't heard if Delta is leaving but I know Swanton and Evergreen are looking to move on.

Archbold
Bryan
Liberty Center
Napoleon
Otsego
Wauseon

Not sure why Defiance would leave the WBL...baseball is their main sport and they play in a great league right now so why take a step back in SOS?

Not sure why Defiance would leave the WBL...baseball is their main sport and they play in a great league right now so why take a step back in SOS?
For Defiance and the WBL, it's strictly geographical and distance related as they are the outlier in the league footprint. Otherwise, the size and competition of WBL schools line up just fine with Defiance as it's worked for them for the past several decades.

I'll put it this way. If Defiance as a city were physically located where say, Delphos or Bluffton were, the 2 sides (Defiance and the WBL) would be a perfect marriage. We make it work, neither side is unhappy, but I also don't think either side would be upset if something better came along.

Also, would jumping to a league involving Bryan, Napoleon, Wauseon, and Archbold and/or Maumee really affect baseball SOS? Van Wert just went to state, and Wapak is good, but honestly the rest of the WBL isn't known for baseball. There's a reason we won 60+ league games in a row, and it wasn't JUST that we were good.

Interesting that the Elmwood coach made the comment in the paper that they were one of the few NBC teams to field a freshman football team. They also stated the chance to play more non-league games in BVC being attractive.

I also had to chuckle at the comment in the Sentinal that there were parents opposed to the move - specially girls basketball where "they are afraid it's the end of their program." What??? LB puts together a pretty good girls basketball team out of the BVC.

Last edited:
I see the NWOAL looking like this if the 3 teams decide to leave...still haven't heard if Delta is leaving but I know Swanton and Evergreen are looking to move on.

Archbold
Bryan
Liberty Center
Napoleon
Otsego
Wauseon

I think those 6 plus Defiance and Maumee would make for a pretty good league

Agreed...just don't know if LC and Archbold would be down for that or if Maumee's parents would be able to afford the gas and extra 40 minutes round trip.
Haha. Living in Wauseon, I know the LC and Archbold programs well. Those two little schools think they can compete against almost anyone. Now I am not saying they are ready to compete in the MAC but they would be competitive in most sports in that league. I don't know as much about Maumee but I know quite a few people from Defiance. It's a great school and great town and would be a terrific fit in that league.

Archbold for sure would compete in pretty much everything. Mad respect for that entire athletic program.

LC football and cross country would be fine. I don't know as much about the rest of their programs, but they'd struggle in basketball and baseball for sure. But I know that town lives and breathes football. If they'd stay, I'm personally down for it. I just would hate to leave a stable situation and have 2 schools leave with little hope of replacing them.

This is callous...but at some point the old people whose kids went to Maumee in the mod 00's are going to die or downsize. That will recharge the schools just fine. Maumee is one of the most cyclic communities in the state because of relatively flat property values disincentivizing rapid movement for empty nesters and them being landlocked...but they will grow soon enough. When I looked at them for grad work, it seemed like it was a 15 year trough to peak type cycle, so I'd imagine they'll be back up to 1000 or so students in the high school within the next 15 years.

Either that or....open enrollment lol

They have modified open enrollment now

?????????? The NLL doesn't have any playoffs.

Obviously. What I’m saying is 2019 Eastwood could have competed with AW and Perrysburg (they destroyed both BG and Maumee) and been a playoff 7-3, 8-2 team. The NLL isn’t some dominant league, Maumee just isn’t good at sports for the time being. Napoleon has had success in the NLL with similar enrollment.

Obviously. What I’m saying is 2019 Eastwood could have competed with AW and Perrysburg (they destroyed both BG and Maumee) and been a playoff 7-3, 8-2 team. The NLL isn’t some dominant league, Maumee just isn’t good at sports for the time being. Napoleon has had success in the NLL with similar enrollment.
Nope.

One thing that would cure a lot, Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne to the TRAC. I don’t get why this isn’t more of a discussion? Anthony Wayne has an enrollment of around 1100 while Perrysburg is at about 1300. Likewise both Ross and Clay are at approx. 850.

Truthfully it’s complete hypocrisy to say that the Catholic schools have an advantage to them, these are two affluent suburbs growing at a fast pace in a dying metropolitan area. Perrysburg, AW and the Private schools should absolutely be in the same league. And frankly it would solve so many problems for the NLL

One thing that would cure a lot, Perrysburg and Anthony Wayne to the TRAC. I don’t get why this isn’t more of a discussion? Anthony Wayne has an enrollment of around 1100 while Perrysburg is at about 1300. Likewise both Ross and Clay are at approx. 850.

Truthfully it’s complete hypocrisy to say that the Catholic schools have an advantage to them, these are two affluent suburbs growing at a fast pace in a dying metropolitan area. Perrysburg, AW and the Private schools should absolutely be in the same league. And frankly it would solve so many problems for the NLL
it’s all fun and games until a private school snatches up a couple players from those public schools.

AW and Perrysburg are not obligated to solve Maumee's problems.

Break it down by Boys and Girls and you will see how much of a butch move it was...

Boys vs. Girls
Elmwood 162 - 117

Liberty Benton 177 - 161
Riverdale 129 - 112
McComb 89 - 81
North Baltimore 80 - 75
Arlington 78 - 63
Arcadia 66 -80
Cory-Rawson 57 - 62
Pandora-Gilboa 62 - 55
Vanlue 31 - 26

EXTREME buhb!tch MOVE... twice as many boys than 7 of the schools

North Baltimore-155
Arcadia - 146
Leipsic - 145
Arlington - 141
Cory Rawson - 129
Pandora-Gilboa - 117
Vanlue - 57
[/QUOTE]

A couple of these schools probably won’t be playing 11 man by the time Elmwood joins (vanlue, CR) so they won’t matter

I'm going to think outside the box! BVC goes to three divisions.
Big: LB [338], Elmwood [279], VB [267], Riverdale [221], ????, and ???? [Possible schools: Patrick Henry [210], ???? Maybe one of the middle schools get cocky and want to play the big boys! Maybe Col Grove and/or Bluffton decides to get a new girlfriend?
Middle: McComb [170], Leipsic [145], Arlington [141], PG [117], Arcadia [146], and ???? Maybe Ada [212] needs a change?
Small: NB [155], CR [129], & Vanlue [57] or whom ever wants/needs to play 8 man football. If numbers change they could petition to move back into middle if numbers will be good for three years. [The devil is in the details] OR NB, CR, and VANLUE leaves league. Maybe NB could be in Middle?

Big and middle groups play 2 cross over games and each school has 3 non league games. Allows schools flexibility to schedule back yard rivals. For example, Pandora Gilboa could play Col Grove [234], Bluffton [248], and whomever.

I KNOW THIS IS CRAZY AND SOME WILL GET SNOTTY WITH ME, who cares. It's a new time. Playoffs are much easier to get into. PLAY BALL!

Last edited:
I'm going to think outside the box! BVC goes to three divisions.
Big: LB [338], Elmwood [279], VB [267], Riverdale [221], ????, and ???? [Possible schools: Patrick Henry [210], ???? Maybe one of the middle schools get cocky and want to play the big boys! Maybe Col Grove and/or Bluffton decides to get a new girlfriend?
Middle: McComb [170], Leipsic [145], Arlington [141], PG [117], Arcadia [146], and ???? Maybe Ada needs a change?
Small: NB [155], CR [129], & Vanlue [57] or whom ever wants/needs to play 8 man football. If numbers change they could petition to move back into middle if numbers will be good for three years. [The devil is in the details] OR NB, CR, and VANLUE leaves league. Maybe NB could be in Middle?

Big and middle groups play 2 cross over games and each school has 3 non league games. Allows schools flexibility to schedule back yard rivals. For example, Pandora Gilboa could play Col Grove [234], Bluffton [248], and whomever.

I KNOW THIS IS CRAZY AND SOME WILL GET SNOTTY WITH ME, who cares. It's a new time. Playoffs are much easier to get into. PLAY BALL!
I applaud the creatively!
I really think CR is just the right coach away from being a able to get the numbers up. (Also canning the soccer team)
Heck PG won the league a few years back with smaller numbers.

I really think CR is just the right coach away from being a able to get the numbers up. (Also canning the soccer team)
Not sure if CR can turn it around like you think, but hope they can. PG does not have soccer and will have 45-50 on their roster this year. CR does have soccer and will be lucky to have 16-18 on their roster. I really do think the true best situation for the BVC is to go two divisions and try to get 6 in each. 2 cross over games and 3 non league. If they could convince 2-3 more schools to flip from their current leagues, the BVC would be a force to reckon with in sports and be a very secure and profitable league. Unlike now! IF schools are interested, I would be willing to be the Commissioner of the NEW & Improved BVC! LOL

By the way, I expect CR, NB, and Vanlue to exit left off the BVC stage in short order. Also, while I'm on my soap box.....I have a lot of respect for Vanlue and what they are able to do in football as a REALLY small school is amazing in my mind! Their goal is to win non league games to get league teams points if they lose to them. What a team player they have been for the league!

Last edited:
From everything I know, soccer has a many times greater chance of being the sport still around if one gets shut down at CR.

From everything I know, soccer has a many times greater chance of being the sport still around if one gets shut down at CR.
I am sure that would upset some community members, at CR has a proud football history. But, if that is clearly the future, then the sooner they drop football the more likely it is the BVC would let them stay for other sports. (Just my guess). If they start canceling games on short notice they may be shown the door, Hardin Northern style.