Northwest Ohio Playoff thread

Anyone with some insight on Lima Central Catholic vs Sherwood Fairview? Don't know too much about Fairview, but I have to think LCC is favored in this one.

Don’t know much about LCC, but this is the best team Fairview’s had in 10+ years. Athletes littered all over the field. Spread offense with a bunch of hard nosed defenders. Again, no clue about LCC so can’t say if they’re a huge favorite or not

NWO (6 counties) team has only beaten a MAC school 3 times.

1988 Archbold over Minster
1990 Archbold over Minster
2003 Delta over Coldwater

We’ll see if the MAC really is that much different with Coldwater going to play a really good Archbold team

Liberty Benton would have been a tough out even if Eastwood had Rayford.
Oak Harbor has had a lot of attention in D5 this year, but their SOS is only 51/107. They had a good run last year, but sometimes not getting tested/seeing talent during regular season can catch up to teams in playoffs.

They have a very good RB and QB and a big, strong line. I think they're more likely to be "fresh" for weeks 11-15 and will be a very tough out.

I think Eastwood beats Liberty Benton by a safe margin, 34-21. Has L-B seen a wing-T attack like Eastwood's?

It's like a well oiled machine. Coach Rutherford inserted a sophomore back for Rayford, and while not anywhere near the same back, he had 10 carries for 61 yards last week. They just keep coming at you. Not sure if Liberty Benton is ready for that.

We’ll see if the MAC really is that much different with Coldwater going to play a really good Archbold team
The MAC really is THAT good. Not saying they are this year but history will tell me to favor a MAC school vs all others.

If the best Patrick Henry teams couldnt beat a MAC school, then that should tell you something. PH is 0-ALL vs MAC

Forgot Columbus Grove's state title over Marion Local in 2003. Make that 4* wins. Ever.

I think Eastwood beats Liberty Benton by a safe margin, 34-21. Has L-B seen a wing-T attack like Eastwood's?

It's like a well oiled machine. Coach Rutherford inserted a sophomore back for Rayford, and while not anywhere near the same back, he had 10 carries for 61 yards last week. They just keep coming at you. Not sure if Liberty Benton is ready for that.

They look similar to Rossford based on their statistics. QB has thrown for over 2,000 yards and completes 66% of his passes. Rayford will be missed in the secondary, as he was last week. Don't know if the game plan changes a little for Eastwood this week, but I don't think they can sit 10 yards off the ball in coverage like they did last week or they will give up yards and points. L-B's running back was the offensive player of the year in the BVC and averages almost 7 yards/carry, so they're not quite as one dimensional as Rossford.

On the other hand, Eastwood's had a week to get over losing Rayford and, as you said, the offense is built for November weather.

I heard today it was because he got caught with marijuana or some other illegal substance at school. I heard this from a parent from another school in the league. But the kids among the various teams all seem to know. I heard he lost a potential scholarship too because of it. I am only reporting what I heard.

Rayford was committed to Toledo. Had a bunch of other MAC offers as well. I'd expect UT to withdraw the scholarship if it's true.

The MAC really is THAT good. Not saying they are this year but history will tell me to favor a MAC school vs all others.

If the best Patrick Henry teams couldnt beat a MAC school, then that should tell you something. PH is 0-ALL vs MAC
Agree with Oberhaus, over the last 30 years Patrick Henry and Liberty Center have been the best teams in the NWOAL and are a combined 0-9 vs the MAC (PH 0-6,LC 0-3) and all but 1 of those games was in the 3rd round or later

Gibsonburg and Northwood both miss out on week 11 after going 10-0.... How good are region's 18 and 23?... Both Northwood and Gibsonburg had enough points to finish 8th in D1 region 2....
Great year for both teams.

Week 11:
Whitmer vs Northmont
Perrysburg at Coffman
TCC vs St Francis
Anthony Wayne vs Olentangy Berlin
St Johns vs Westerville South
Wauseon vs Clyde
Oak Harbor vs Beachwood
Eastwood vs Liberty Benton
Liberty Center vs Allen East
Archbold vs Coldwater
Leipsic vs Mohawk
NSP vs Edon
Patrick Henry vs Arlington
McComb vs Edgerton

Agree both Gibsonburg and Northwood had great seasons but ultimately i think both schools will look at where theyre at and what can be done and this will lead to good changes in the long run. Feel for both teams senior classes, think they both had teams they might not be able to duplicate in the near future and they both couldve atleast competed well in round 1.

My first round Playoff picks:
Whitmer escapes a tough battle with Northmont. Theyre a tough team and lost some close ones but the running game carries the Panthers on.
Coffman does what they have the last two years against Perrysburg 42-21
TCC is too tough on D for the upset. Like where SFS is headed but something around 20-3, 31-7 sounds right in the irish knight rematch.
AW rolls through round 1 but probably give a couple td's up...NLL offenses werent great this year
SJJ might have some trouble here, tough to tell but I think this could be a shootout. Ill take SJJ by 7. 42-35
Clyde is tested and though the NWOAL is strong the SBC is another level. Fliers by 10
Oak Harbor is really tough to stop, I think theyre the favorite with Orville to move on in this region with Rayford out.
LB is able to hurt Eastwood through the air and is tough enough up front to slow the eagles ground game. If the eagles dont hit a few big plays i think LB wins relatively easy.

The rest i havent seen this year,
LC
Coldwater, (great season for archbold, could see them pulling it out)
Leipsic D7 favorite?
Edon
PH
Mccomb big

Agree both Gibsonburg and Northwood had great seasons but ultimately i think both schools will look at where theyre at and what can be done and this will lead to good changes in the long run. Feel for both teams senior classes, think they both had teams they might not be able to duplicate in the near future and they both couldve atleast competed well in round 1.

My first round Playoff picks:
Whitmer escapes a tough battle with Northmont. Theyre a tough team and lost some close ones but the running game carries the Panthers on.
Coffman does what they have the last two years against Perrysburg 42-21
TCC is too tough on D for the upset. Like where SFS is headed but something around 20-3, 31-7 sounds right in the irish knight rematch.
AW rolls through round 1 but probably give a couple td's up...NLL offenses werent great this year
SJJ might have some trouble here, tough to tell but I think this could be a shootout. Ill take SJJ by 7. 42-35
Clyde is tested and though the NWOAL is strong the SBC is another level. Fliers by 10
Oak Harbor is really tough to stop, I think theyre the favorite with Orville to move on in this region with Rayford out.
LB is able to hurt Eastwood through the air and is tough enough up front to slow the eagles ground game. If the eagles dont hit a few big plays i think LB wins relatively easy.

The rest i havent seen this year,
LC
Coldwater, (great season for archbold, could see them pulling it out)
Leipsic D7 favorite?
Edon
PH
Mccomb big

Clyde plays Keystone, Bellevue plays Wauseon.

Anyone with some insight on Lima Central Catholic vs Sherwood Fairview? Don't know too much about Fairview, but I have to think LCC is favored in this one.
Fairview has a first team all state QB, nice size and athleticism out wide. If LCC cannot get any pressure it will be a long night for the TBirds. Will need to mix up coverages and mix in blitzes. Cannot drop 8 guys in coverage and expect to win. Cade Polter will throw darts all night long.

Is the MAC really that much different?

Simply looking at their numbers proves they historically are and a defeat of CW by Archbold wouldn't change a thing. CW is having a down year so a first round defeat is entirely possible.

I hope not. Kids make mistakes.

some of them repeatedly. Meanwhile, there's the kid not making mistakes.... ? A stronger line between "mistake" and "bad decision" seems to be getting lost.

Naw, messages need be sent. A player suspended lets down a team, a family,.... That's not a trustworthy person. Handing out free-passes because "kids make mistakes" leads to adults who make mistakes.

If he wants that college career, let him walk-on a year. Give a path to earn it, is an opportunity not owed but the path that might be enough carrot that leads the "mistake" prone person to corrected judgment and less self-interest.

Last edited:
I'm not going to get into how everyone learns from life experiences but if it was for what I heard it was for I would hope UT would still honor his scholarship. Getting booted from the team prior to the playoffs after a pretty special season has to be awful embarrassing no? Walking the halls knowing how many people you let down. Eastwood is much like every other small community in that will stick with him forever. "Hey dad, what happened your senior year?"

Had he robbed a bank or beat a girl I can understand pulling a scholarship but even then I'd hope someone would give the kid another chance down the road. I get it, kids are given too many passes these days and never really learn a lesson. I believe this punishment that has been doled out by the HS fits the crime and then some. Just my opinion.

My thoughts:
Whitmer wins by 10+
Perrysburg wins a nail biter
TCC plays great defense and runs the ball... wins by same kind of score as last time.
AW welcomes Berlin to the playoffs with a running clock.
St Johns out scores Westerville in a close one
Bellevue takes out Wauseon
Keystone ends Clyde’s year
Oak Harbor rolls
Liberty Benton by 10+
LCC in a squeaker
Liberty Center wins but closer than excepted
Coldwater on a 2 game losing streak.... stops the streak and wins by less than 10
Leipsic running clock
NSP running clock
Arlington surprises PH
McComb rights the ship and advances

good luck to everyone tonight and tomorrow from NWO!

My thoughts:
Whitmer wins by 10+
Perrysburg wins a nail biter
TCC plays great defense and runs the ball... wins by same kind of score as last time.
AW welcomes Berlin to the playoffs with a running clock.
St Johns out scores Westerville in a close one
Bellevue takes out Wauseon
Keystone ends Clyde’s year
Oak Harbor rolls
Liberty Benton by 10+
LCC in a squeaker
Liberty Center wins but closer than excepted
Coldwater on a 2 game losing streak.... stops the streak and wins by less than 10
Leipsic running clock
NSP running clock
Arlington surprises PH
McComb rights the ship and advances

good luck to everyone tonight and tomorrow from NWO!
CW has lost 2 of 3, not two in a row. (Maybe in 10 hours from now that statement will be true though)

There's some sense of sly irony with Perrysburg dumping Coffman from their schedule in mid-summer then having to play them in Round 1 the first time they've made the D1 Playoffs, but I'd love to have them win so there's a local D1 game in Round Two for the first time in a VERY long time...don't see if happening though with Drennan on the field. He's the best player the Jackets will have faced in years IMO.

I've got the following:
Whitmer
Coffman
Central
Anthony Wayne
Westerville
Columbian (how could you guys miss D3?!)
Keystone
Wauseon
OG
Oak Harbor
Liberty-Benton
LCC
Liberty Center
Coldwater
Leipsic
St. Paul
Patrick Henry
Edgerton

I'm not going to get into how everyone learns from life experiences but if it was for what I heard it was for I would hope UT would still honor his scholarship. Getting booted from the team prior to the playoffs after a pretty special season has to be awful embarrassing no? Walking the halls knowing how many people you let down. Eastwood is much like every other small community in that will stick with him forever. "Hey dad, what happened your senior year?"

Had he robbed a bank or beat a girl I can understand pulling a scholarship but even then I'd hope someone would give the kid another chance down the road. I get it, kids are given too many passes these days and never really learn a lesson. I believe this punishment that has been doled out by the HS fits the crime and then some. Just my opinion.

If as insinuted, the punishment was mandatory. There was no judgment here. No "doling" out. How is not offering a scholarship AFTER proving clean for a year, not another chance down the (very short) road?

How many offenses before you would pull the scholarship? One, two, infinite? Wasn't he suspended, last year? This was an on the job offense. It was done knowing what getting caught does to the team. And of course the presumption is, this was a caught time, not the only time. How many times would you let this happen on the construction site, before you said enough? Scary thought process.

Anyone thinking prove yourself is a death sentence, smh. There's always another kid deserving a scholarship. Next man up. Get someone you can trust. Let the one that has lost trust prove his worth by taking the sacrifice. Keep the nose clean. Support the team. If they're not that interested in proving they've corrected then they will be fine, elsewhere.

I would appreciate Candle says, we're behind you if you want to walk-on but give us a year of clean. At this point, no action by the next level will perpetuate the problem of feeling rules don't apply to me. Bet.

Last edited:
How many times would you let this happen on the construction site, before you said enough? Scary thought process.

Zero but he gets another shot on the next gig for another contractor.

You jumped in the Rabbit Hole here. I really do not care. We have all taken our lumps and lessons. Some learn after strike one, some after strike three, some continue to strike out and never learn. I've even seen some people learn on strike 50. He will learn one way or another.

Zero but he gets another shot on the next gig for another contractor.

You jumped in the Rabbit Hole here. I really do not care. We have all taken our lumps and lessons. Some learn after strike one, some after strike three, some continue to strike out and never learn. I've even seen some people learn on strike 50. He will learn one way or another.

And some learn too late. Particularly when the consequences are not severe enough to shake that invulnerable feeling, kids have. As insinuated by someone in an earlier post, this one apparently didn't learn the first time. If the standard is you have to beat a woman or rob a bank before consequences are shaking, we're all doomed. He's doomed.

So how many passes do you give, before you decide more drastic response is needed?

I don't think this is particularly bizarre situation (rabbit hole). Fairly straight forward. Next kid up, this one has some proving to do. And no, I would not be surprised if Candle pulled the scholly. This isnt the old days, go to class, don't go to class, dope up, don't, as long as you can make yardage. Candle has a clean record butthe DUI of Woodside and Hunt's several issues do hang over the program, did they also happen during their time at UT?

Candle might not risk a million dollar salary on an easily replaceable position or risk getting a reputation that would prevent the next several million dollar position, even if he feels keeping the scholly on the table for THIS year the best for the kid's personal development.

Last edited:
It is straight forward. The rabbit hole I refer to is the argument of how serious an infraction was committed and what is the exact penalty? You believe he probably has not learned his lesson since this is strike two. I cannot say if he has learned anything this time around and neither can you. I believe the current punishment fits the crime and then some and should have no bearing on his scholarship offer from UT. Perhaps just me.

Very true. The other thing to consider is not every scholarship is given out every year. Schoolsroll them back & forth for flexibility. Also, scholarships are issues in 1 year intervals. Would be too easy for UT to get him on campus, spend time with him and see how he handles scrub duty, etc and decide from there.

Never thought I'd see a running clock in a D1 Playoff game...but man does Perrysburg look like they don't belong at all right now.

I don't know how a team hasn't thrown an offer at Mason Alberts as an athlete, he could be an incredibly slot WR with his quick twitch and top end speed.

Whitmer got hit in the mouth but they seem to be settling in, Central and St. Francis is going to be a dogfight.