Northwest Conference 2020

As for the defense, I'm not sure our outside LBs and defensive backs made anything happen. Very poor tackling/breaking away from blocks.
That's a fair observation. I don't want to call high school kids out but there were a couple of kids who were looking for a soft place to land. And that is because..
No one ever looks great against Spencerville.
They are pulling nasty kids out on the corner on the buck sweep and many perimeter defenders don't know how to handle it, especially since the rule change where you can't go low on the puller, plus their kids run HARD between the tackles. Spencerville can be vanilla defensively which has hurt them against MAC teams in the playoffs but has worked pretty effectively in the conference.

Ada @ Columbus Grove-wrong Dogs win
Allen East @ Bluffton- either Bluffton or Ada will get there 1st week next week
Crestview @ Paulding- Is Paulding for real? Offense is off and running but DJ D is suspect to say the least
Spencerville @ Jefferson - rival game 2nd game in, Spencerville by a lot

Columbus Grove @ Ada - Grove's Dogs looked straight up nasty in the first half last week. They should roll through week 2 and be playing with some bad blood against AE next week.

Allen East @ Bluffton - Didn't see anything from AE last week except for the Friday night highlights. They should handle Bluffton and make for an interesting week 3 with Grove.

Crestview @ Paulding - Crestview seemed to play Spencerville tough for the first half. I'm not convinced Paulding's offense is anything special after playing an extremely young Jefferson team.

Spencerville @ Jefferson - Jefferson's young defense won't be able to handle the T.

That's a fair observation. I don't want to call high school kids out but there were a couple of kids who were looking for a soft place to land.
Buck sweep is always hard to stop if your perimeter players don't stand their ground. Not so much of us calling the high school kids out as we are saying the weaknesses on defense were exposed. I would assume that we will see a time and place whereas some changing of the guard takes place and other players get looks on the outside. If Paulding doesn't expose the secondary then Coach Owens has made the proper adjustments and will keep working on toughness and grit to get off blocks/stand their ground. If not, then Crestview could see teams push outside on us and force the DBs to make tackles. We will see if Paulding tries their ground game out or if they keep it in the air on Friday. It'll be an interesting to see if they stick to their air attack or hit the ground and try to do what Spencerville did on the outside. I could also see a 3-4 approach come into play instead of the 4-3 that was ran Friday.

I wasn't implying that you were calling kids out, I was just saying in a roundabout way that I saw some of the same things you saw.
It's getting to the point where the buck sweep should be a staple of any offense because of the bind that corners find themselves in, especially with spread teams that run a form of buck. Corners have to be nimble enough to defend the pass and physical enough to take on lead blockers.

Liking all these games online this year. Got to watch AE/Bluffton game last night. Good game to both, but in the end AE’ offense was too much for the Pirates

Bluffton - Ada is bad bad, Bluffton is better coached and looked competitive against AE
Columbus Grove - Dogs are coming for revenge on this one - they will roll
Crestview - Jefferson is too young & won't be able to handle Brecht
Spencerville - Spencerville is the better team here, seems like they haven't missed a beat in 2 years

Ada vs. Bluffton= 100% homer pick here. Have grandkids in Bluffton so I have to give them hard time
Allen East vs. Columbus Grove- AE won last year and I feel they do it again, I know going against what I said in preseason
Crestview vs. Delphos Jefferson-No doubt
Paulding vs. Spencerville - Same as above

Bluffton - Ada is bad bad, Bluffton is better coached and looked competitive against AE
Columbus Grove - Dogs are coming for revenge on this one - they will roll
Crestview - Jefferson is too young & won't be able to handle Brecht
Spencerville - Spencerville is the better team here, seems like they haven't missed a beat in 2 years
Did I see the Reynolds boy signed to play football at Bluffton U?

Who all has offered? I know Bluffton U takes alot of local kids and plenty of NWC kids have gone that route. Is he getting bigger schools looking at him?
The only one "better" I see is Valparaiso which is a non-scholarship D1 in Indiana.

Are their any freshman playing varsity for NWC teams this year? I remember watching Reynolds when he was a freshman and you could tell he was going to be a really nice player then, just wondering who the next group of players to watch in the NWC are.

Who all has offered? I know Bluffton U takes alot of local kids and plenty of NWC kids have gone that route. Is he getting bigger schools looking at him?

As far as I know he's gotten offers from Valparaiso, Mount Union, and Bluffton

What are D-III schools offering?
I was wondering the same thing. My guess is you get the opportunity to enroll at a good school and the privilege of paying tuition and room+board at the regular rate minus the typical need and merit based financial aid package. In other words, the same deal every accepted student gets. Does anyone know if that is the deal?

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is you get the opportunity to enroll at a good school and the privilege of paying tuition and room+board at the regular rate minus the typical need and merit based financial aid package. In other words, the same deal every accepted student gets. Does anyone know if that is the deal?
Honestly, the "offer" is basically a roster spot because that program believes you are good enough to play at that school after being evaluated by their recruiting coach or position coach. Obviously, getting into the DIII school is the next step after that. Some schools won't send those "offers" until after that student is accepted the school but every program does it differently/

D3 schools will offer academic scholarships if the athlete has a good academic standing. Obviously the better your academic standing, the better the academic scholarship. That's what they do for athletes.

D3 schools will offer academic scholarships if the athlete has a good academic standing. Obviously the better your academic standing, the better the academic scholarship. That's what they do for athletes.

Beat me to it. They find ways to get their athletes "academic" scholarships. Now most do the honorable thing, and do as stated by clockkiller and truly base it on merits. However, I'd be confident that some programs find any work around they can.

Are their any freshman playing varsity for NWC teams this year? I remember watching Reynolds when he was a freshman and you could tell he was going to be a really nice player then, just wondering who the next group of players to watch in the NWC are.
Crestview has Conner Sheets and a younger Kreischer kid on the defensive side. Their older brothers are getting alot of snaps right now. Garrett Yinger will be a nice DE in a year or two. They have a Harting kid, Putman, and Kline who are all freshman. I think they will see reps and have a bigger role in years to come, if not this year. Jackson and Hunter are sophomores. They have high upside. As long as Crestview can produce a line (and adding in a decent 8th grade class), the Knights are built for the future. A very athletic team. I can't name a game breaker like we have seen in Reynolds, Clum, or Kline/Sheets in the NWC the past couple of years, but athleticism and speed will be all over the field for us for the next 4 years.

Grove has a few freshmen that you can tell will be legit in a year or two, but they've got so much depth in the upper classes right now that the freshmen don't see the field for much except for mop up duty. One of them is Reynolds' little brother at receiver. A year from now it might be different, I haven't watched them enough but supposedly there's at least 2 or 3 kids that will be competing for varsity spots next year

I've seen Grove's freshman class and Crestview's freshman class play each other the last two years in championship game of NWC Jr. High tournament. You and CK are both right, two very athletic classes.