Northwest Conference 2019

Grove and Spencerville have to be the favorites... Allen East could really shock some people, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ada or Paulding round out the top 4

When was the last time Paulding really made noise? Genuinely curious. Paulding isn't a school name I hear very often with athletic success or football playoffs. When I hear NWC, I usually think of Spencerville, Columbus Grove, and Ada. I know Delphos Jefferson has been up-and-down and Crestview was a co-champion last year. It's a quality competitive league. No clue about predictions though.

Grove
Spencerville
Allen East
Crestview
Ada/Bluffton
Bluffton/Ada
Paulding
Delphos Jeff

Think Grove will lead the NWC this season, with either Spencerville or AE pushing them. I can see Ada being a middle of the road team but would not be surprised if battled DJ for last place

When was the last time Paulding really made noise? Genuinely curious. Paulding isn't a school name I hear very often with athletic success or football playoffs. When I hear NWC, I usually think of Spencerville, Columbus Grove, and Ada. I know Delphos Jefferson has been up-and-down and Crestview was a co-champion last year. It's a quality competitive league. No clue about predictions though.
Paulding was 6-2 in 1987, 7-1 in 1982, won the conference in 70 & 71 https://www.nwc-sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/nwcfootballstandingsall.htm

Paulding ended up with 3 conference wins I believe last year. And from what their roster looked like last year they are bringing back a lot of experience, so they may shock some people. Their football team in the past 20 years isn't representative of all of their athletics, especially their winter sports. Their basketball and wrestling teams were both always good when I was in school.

As far as traditional NWC teams though, yes Grove and Ada, although it seems like Ada is struggling to put up numbers. Spencerville has come up in the last few years as a top team. Crestview has been at the top for a while but I can see them falling off quickly. Jefferson traditionally is always towards the top but last year was their worst year in a looooooong time. Hopefully the new coach can get them back to traditional Jefferson level. I would expect this year to end up being another dog fight between Grove and Spencerville for the top.

I would say the favorite is Grove. Followed closely by Allen East. Dark horses will be Crestview and Spencerville. Grove returns maybe the most rounded team and their offense will be explosive. Allen East has maybe the best overall QB in the league. Spencerville always runs a great wing T and Crestview is returning far more than people think. I would round it out with Bluffton, Ada, Paulding, and Jefferson (although Jefferson's QB is maybe one of the best athletes around...just no help).

I would say the favorite is Grove. Followed closely by Allen East. Dark horses will be Crestview and Spencerville. Grove returns maybe the most rounded team and their offense will be explosive. Allen East has maybe the best overall QB in the league. Spencerville always runs a great wing T and Crestview is returning far more than people think. I would round it out with Bluffton, Ada, Paulding, and Jefferson (although Jefferson's QB is maybe one of the best athletes around...just no help).

I heard Allen East's QB was out for the year, anyone else heard this?

Last edited:
Finally another area thread besides the MAC one! I'd like to see more team & conference previews for a 20 county area including: Williams, Fulton, Lucas, Wood, Henry, Defiance, Paulding, Putnam, Hancock, Hardin, Allen, Van Wert, Mercer, Auglaize, Logan, Shelby, Darke, Miami, Champaign, and Clark Counties.

I heard Allen East's QB was out for the year, anyone else heard this?
Tyler Clum....not sure. Did he get hurt in basketball? The kid was a stud last year as a sophomore. I was looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully he is full go for Allen East this year.

Looking at social media. It looks like he had a surgery in May. Would be curious if it was a knee or something

I may be up that area this weekend and I will ask around.

Wish we had more threads on conferences as well

I'm trying to get info on the 20 NE/EC Indiana counties that border those 20 NW/WC Ohio counties on the GID, but no one is biting there either.

Also, Indiana has the Indiana Football Digest that details key players & teams for each season. Does Ohio have an equivalent to that?

Last edited:
I'm trying to get info on the 20 NE/EC Indiana counties that border those 20 NW/WC Ohio counties on the GID, but no one is biting there either.

Also, Indiana has the Indiana Football Digest that details key players & teams for each season. Does Ohio have an equivalent to that?
I started a NWCC thread awhile ago. I could try to dig that up.

The only thing I could think of is when Eric Frantz does his division previews and other things for MaxPreps. Not really sure if there's anything else.

I started a NWCC thread awhile ago. I could try to dig that up.

The only thing I could think of is when Eric Frantz does his division previews and other things for MaxPreps. Not really sure if there's anything else.

Googled and Friday Night Football (FNF) Ohio popped up for 2018 but nothing for 2019. It claimed to have details on every football playing school last year.

Looking at social media. It looks like he had a surgery in May. Would be curious if it was a knee or something
Clum tore his ACL and is out for his junior season. Bryce Belcher, who was a really good receiver for the Mustangs last year, will be the QB. Not as polished a passer, but gives AE an additional dimension with his running ability. Losing Clum is a huge loss for sure.

I heard through the grapevine that this might be Bluffton's worse team ever in school history.

I can't imagine Richards lasting another year anyway. Way to many kids are being driven to soccer at that school.

Clum tore his ACL and is out for his junior season. Bryce Belcher, who was a really good receiver for the Mustangs last year, will be the QB. Not as polished a passer, but gives AE an additional dimension with his running ability. Losing Clum is a huge loss for sure.

Sad to hear that. At least he's got another year! towards the end of 2018 they still looked young but started to be very competitive.

I heard through the grapevine that this might be Bluffton's worse team ever in school history.

I can't imagine Richards lasting another year anyway. Way to many kids are being driven to soccer at that school.

When did Bluffton start boys soccer? It wasn't too long ago that they were dominating the NWC in football. I'd imagine like most small schools in the area that the timeline of their football program's decline lines up pretty accurately with the start of soccer. Just like Cory-Rawson, or PG, who thankfully realized they were too small to have both fall sports before it was too late.

Spencerville has a lot back and crestview has more back than people think. Grove has QB back but lost a lot of production and AE may have been one of the favorites with their QB time will tell how the back up QB is. This is my guess.

Spencerville
Grove
Crestview/AE
Paulding
Bluffton
Ada
DJ
I'm curious as to what production Grove lost. From my understanding, all of their key players including some of their dominant linemen will be back. Maybe I have missed something. As for Allen East, I would probably bump them out of my top 2-3. You assessment is likely on. I would probably bump them down into the 4/5 spot. They have a great new coach and are a fast offense. However, Clum was/is one of the best all around athletes Allen East has seen in awhile. He played fantastic basketball with high energy as well. It'll be a big loss.

Should be an interesting season. I see alot of people putting Spencerville/Grove at the top. Spencerville had the one back/wing that could run and catch swing passes in that offense. Anyone know if he is still around? He was a very good player last year.

By far their best offensive and defensive lineman is gone in that big boy. Top Rusher, maybe too 2 rushers. Top 2 WR and arguably the best DB in the league. Toward end of the year they were playing 6-7 seniors on defense. They do have their QB back who is a good player along with majority of linemen. It’s Spencerville’s league to lose IMO they have a big coaching advantage vs Grove.
Thanks. I didn't realize they lost that much! Probably wouldn't put their DB in the "tops in the league" conversation. That would go to Wade Sheets who is gone from Crestview but continuing at Air Force. Maybe Drew Kline next. Of course....the all league awards could say otherwise, but I think those two spoke for themselves.

That said, the QB (Reynolds), Shroeder running the ball, and Clement catching....that's the core of their explosive offense from last year, I believe. Could be wrong. Crestview's lone loss was to Grove (before playoffs), and I remember these names popping up over the loud speaker quite a bit.

That said, the QB (Reynolds), Shroeder running the ball, and Clement catching....that's the core of their explosive offense from last year, I believe. Could be wrong. Crestview's lone loss was to Grove (before playoffs), and I remember these names popping up over the loud speaker quite a bit.

Reynolds should be huge this year for Grove, as well as Clement. The kid is pretty dang explosive. Not sure which Schroeder you are referencing, last year the senior Nemire was the main back. They should have some good young running backs coming up though.

Reynolds should be huge this year for Grove, as well as Clement. The kid is pretty dang explosive. Not sure which Schroeder you are referencing, last year the senior Nemire was the main back. They should have some good young running backs coming up though.
Evan Schroeder. I do remember hearing his name. Maybe it was the defensive side of the ball but again, another returning player. Looks like Grove will have a ton of returning Juniors and Seniors. They have really big numbers from what I hear. Shouldn't have plenty to pick from.

Grove earned 9 1st or 2nd team all NWC selections 7 of the awards were seniors. The two underclassmen were Reynolds and a soph OL. Spencerville has more back than grove.

Spencerville and Grove seem pretty comparable this year. Both lost a lot of offensive production but have a some promising young players returning. Should be a good matchup again this year

Grove earned 9 1st or 2nd team all NWC selections 7 of the awards were seniors. The two underclassmen were Reynolds and a soph OL. Spencerville has more back than grove. I know Crestview beat Spencerville last year but A LOT had to go right for crestview for that to happen including a last second TD pass.

The year before, Spencerville ran all over Crestview in Convoy, for the only game I partially attended. Last year I partially attended the rain mess of Allen East vs Crestview in Convoy. Really wish I could have watched the Crestview vs Spencerville game last year as one of the two players I know personally was involved in the game winning catch.

Any posters on here from Delphos? I'm curious to see what they look like/expect this year with a new (hopefully improved) coaching staff.