Northwest’s Joe Harbour Steps down

Northwest made it to 9 straight playoff appearances between 2001-2009
Yes one regional title 2004
1 AP Championship 2007
2 regional runner-ups 2003,2007
3 2nd round exits 2001,2005,2009
And yes 3 one and dones 2002,2006,2008

I don’t think calling Northwest a state power was a far stretch

Ask Steubenville fans what they thought of the 2005 game. Northwest was the best team they saw in 2005 a team that went 30-0 to 2005-2006 and won 42 straight games.

Show me a more consistent program in stark county during that time. Nobody has made it 9 years straight in stark county history. Massillon, McKinley, Louisville all have 8 straight

To me (I don’t mean to speak for others) “state power” implies that you have done something at the state level. Northwest did not during the time span you mentioned. Is Orville a “state power” because they won a state title? Is Perry a “state power” because they went to 2 straight title games?

When someone says “state power”, I think of schools like: St X, Moeller, St Ig, Ed’s, Marion Local, Steubenville, Pick C, Kirtland, Trotwood, just to name a few (sorry if I left someone’s team out).

Granted, I’m sure NWest has had some tremendous teams and great success, and I’m sure that if I ask a Steubey they would quake in their boots at the thought of the “state power” Northwest Indians. Ask Hathaway to schedule Steubenville, they are always trying to fill their schedule out with Ohio teams.
I’m not trying to discredit the time frame you speak of, but in no way will you get me (and I suspect many others) to say that NW was a “state power” at any point in its existence.

I also noticed you mentioned a 2007 (A year NW didn’t even win their region) AP Title?. Did you graduate from Massillon by chance?

I was born in Saudi Arabia, but in Massillon standards we do have 1 Paper Title ;)

Okay Okay Okay fine how about “Regional Power”

Point is people shouldn’t bash John Tanksley when he was a big part of NW former success

1 AP Championship 2007

Ask Steubenville fans what they thought of the 2005 game. Northwest was the best team they saw in 2005 a team that went 30-0 to 2005-2006 and won 42 straight games.

Show me a more consistent program in stark county during that time. Nobody has made it 9 years straight in stark county history. Massillon, McKinley, Louisville all have 8 straight
They were an absolutely "must see" team during that run. Remember watching them play Louisville in a crazy game the year Louisville made it to the state title game.

Crazy to think they've only been to the playoffs 1 or 2 other times in their history outside of those 9 years.

They were an absolutely "must see" team during that run. Remember watching them play Louisville in a crazy game the year Louisville made it to the state title game.

Crazy to think they've only been to the playoffs 1 or 2 other times in their history outside of those 9 years.

Only 2011 since that run. Years of being Independent and still recovering.

I was born in Saudi Arabia, but in Massillon standards we do have 1 Paper Title ;)

Okay Okay Okay fine how about “Regional Power”

Point is people shouldn’t bash John Tanksley when he was a big part of NW former success

Sold! I agree to the terms of “Regional Power”, during that time span.

Yes he did such a fine job at Carrollton.
He wasn't there last year because of something with either travel time for his wife to work or some job related issue for her. Took over my. Gilead I believe which has been awful for a while.

He wasn't there last year because of something with either travel time for his wife to work or some job related issue for her. Took over my. Gilead I believe which has been awful for a while.

The issue was that his wife could not find a job in the area (school nurse, IIRC) and was still living in Central OH. Mauro was tired of doing the long-distance relationship and had to step down. Mauro seems to have a knack for taking downtrodden programs and improving them.

C
The issue was that his wife could not find a job in the area (school nurse, IIRC) and was still living in Central OH. Mauro was tired of doing the long-distance relationship and had to step down. Mauro seems to have a knack for taking downtrodden programs and improving them.
Carrollton did not improve

Hopefully though he (tanksley) can push Northwest over the edge and back into the post season again, they are right there I feel like. Would be good to see them back into the playoffs consistently.

You can dog Mauro all you want, but the guy can win ball games. He has proven that

Last edited:
Well, I guess my neighbor was wrong, lol. I just got word that John Demarco is going to be hired pending board approval on the 13th. The source is very close to the hiring process and said this is 100% fact!

I think Coach Mauro's history speaks for itself regardless of what CaptainHole has to say about it.

I’ve been watching this kid since he was in youth football. In 6th grade he was a man amongst boys-as a freshman the story didn’t change that much. I’ve followed hs football a long time. He’s the real deal guys. Big, fast, strong..D-1 athleticism...

here’s the link to the highlight video that was with the article. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12982616/5dbf1bd296778f0c045a4823

Attachments

• CF075BB7-8FA8-4FB6-A466-22EEBA52574C.jpeg
    CF075BB7-8FA8-4FB6-A466-22EEBA52574C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
I just had to makes some calls to check the info I was given. Demarco has been confirmed by several people close to the program. Although Tanksley has ties to the program and would have been nice to see him “come home” Sometimes a fresh face is what’s needed! I’m actually rather excited the more I think about it

If it is Demarco, then imagine Louisville gets back on the schedule pretty quickly. That would be a nice benefit to their playoff points as well.

I think Coach Mauro's history speaks for itself regardless of what CaptainHole has to say about it.
You made a funny. But he’s washed up too old. He scored 7 points in 2 years against my aviators and had a D1 wide receiver on his team that did absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
If it is Demarco, then imagine Louisville gets back on the schedule pretty quickly. That would be a nice benefit to their playoff points as well.

yeah if they beat the leopards. I doubt it would happen Louisville typically has weeks 1-3 locked up.

I know Marlington and Salem are in future NW schedules

1 AP Championship 2007

Quite a stretch, NW has the same amount of state titles as Massillon, zero! To be considered a state power you have to win a title, period. A more accurate assessment would be, NW was a power in both the NBC and in the region. Still find it strange why NW ever left the NBC, but the PAC is probably on par with the EBC at this point in regards to the quality of teams.

1 AP Championship 2007

Quite a stretch, NW has the same amount of state titles as Massillon, zero! To be considered a state power you have to win a title, period. A more accurate assessment would be, NW was a power in both the NBC and in the region. Still find it strange why NW ever left the NBC, but the PAC is probably on par with the EBC at this point in regards to the quality of teams.

yea we established this already state power wrong term. Regional power more fair.

NW left the NBC due to cutting sports threat by the super at the time unless the levy passed. It passed and when NW asked to be let in the door was shut and Salem was a replacement.

Good thing the kids have been in the weightroom for four weeks now. They are determined. Demarco coming in will seal the deal. Returning roughly 15 of 22 starters is huge.

I always heard the issue with him was a lack of an off-season conditioning program.

Good thing the kids have been in the weightroom for four weeks now. They are determined. Demarco coming in will seal the deal. Returning roughly 15 of 22 starters is huge.
You guys should be successful no matter who you hire in the short term at least.