Northern Lakes League 2019 (NLL)

1disciple

Can the Anthony Wayne Generals make it 3 years in a row? Or will someone challenge them for the title this year? Thoughts?

2018 League Standings

Anthony Wayne 7-0
Napoleon 5-2
Springfield 5-2
Perrysburg 4-3
Bowling Green 4-3
Southview 2-5
Northview 1-6
Maumee 0-7

Maumee has a new coach in Cam Coutcher, a former assistant coach and also Maumee's head baseball coach.

In my opinion, he is a great hire and is assembling a good staff that is a mix of youth and experience.

Maumee's pre-league schedule is tougher next year (Clay, Eastwood, and Sandusky Perkins), but not insurmountable.

2019 Schedules

Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
08/30 A Findlay
09/06 H Toledo St. John's Jesuit
09/13 A Toledo St. Francis de Sales
09/20 H Sylvania Northview
09/27 A Perrysburg
10/04 H Bowling Green
10/11 H Napoleon
10/18 A Sylvania Southview
10/25 H Maumee
11/01 A Holland Springfield

Perrysburg
08/30 H Toledo Woodward
09/06 H Findlay
09/13 A Toledo Whitmer
09/20 H Holland Springfield
09/27 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/04 A Sylvania Southview
10/11 A Sylvania Northview
10/18 H Napoleon
10/25 A Bowling Green
11/01 A Maumee

Holland Springfield
08/30 A Toledo Central Catholic
09/06 A Sandusky
09/13 H Lewis Center Olentangy
09/20 A Perrysburg
09/27 A Napoleon
10/04 H Sylvania Northview
10/11 H Maumee
10/18 A Bowling Green
10/25 H Sylvania Southview
11/01 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne

Sylvania Northview
08/30 A Toledo Waite
09/06 H Oregon Clay
09/13 H Toledo Bowsher
09/20 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
09/27 H Bowling Green
10/04 A Holland Springfield
10/11 H Perrysburg
10/18 A Maumee
10/25 H Napoleon
11/01 A Sylvania Southview

Sylvania Southview
08/30 A Toledo Rogers
09/06 A Toledo St. Francis de Sales
09/13 H Toledo Scott
09/20 H Napoleon
09/27 A Maumee
10/04 H Perrysburg
10/11 A Bowling Green
10/18 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/25 A Holland Springfield
11/01 H Sylvania Northview

Napoleon
08/29 A Defiance
09/06 H Liberty Center
09/13 H Wauseon
09/20 A Sylvania Southview
09/27 H Holland Springfield
10/04 H Maumee
10/11 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/18 A Perrysburg
10/25 A Sylvania Northview
11/01 H Bowling Green

Bowling Green
08/30 A Toledo St. John's Jesuit
09/06 H Pemberville Eastwood
09/13 A Toledo Woodward
09/20 H Maumee
09/27 A Sylvania Northview
10/04 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/11 H Sylvania Southview
10/18 H Holland Springfield
10/25 H Perrysburg
11/01 A Napoleon

Maumee
08/30 H Oregon Clay
09/06 H Sandusky Perkins
09/13 A Pemberville Eastwood
09/20 A Bowling Green
09/27 H Sylvania Southview
10/04 A Napoleon
10/11 A Holland Springfield
10/18 H Sylvania Northview
10/25 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
11/01 H Perrysburg

Last edited:
With the new coaches at Maumee and Southview how long will it take them to turn their programs around?

Not sure about Southview but at Maumee I’d expect a reasonably competitive team immediately. Not sure how many wins that means but the freshman class at Maumee looks good and a lot of underclassmen played well last season.

I think Southview will be more competitive this year as well. I'm thinking more middle of the pack in the league.

Southview always has athletes it will be good to see if Coach Rowe can get them to work together. Pburg brings back a lot of skilled guys but will replace the Dline and most of the Oline. Would like to see them be contenders again. Not sure what Maumee brings to the table with the new coach. We never really know with Anthony Wayne they seem to have guys step up for the past few years and not sure if that will change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just some humble observations:

It seems to me that AW is again the team to beat in the NLL. The coaching staff is well organized and appears still hungry. In spite of losing some key players, it appears they have plenty of talent to step up next year.

As far as Maumee and Southview, each program took a step in the right direction with the changes, but they have a lot to prove and may be a couple years away.

Bowling Green is dangerous! BG has talent at the skill and line positions. Napoleon has a clear identity and is always very competitive. Springfield will be competative as usual. Overlooking any of these teams is a huge mistake.

Perrysburg just graduated what they thought was "the team" they had been waiting on the last couple of years. It appears that the current talent does not match the schemes as well as the talent from the past. The staff seems to struggle with innovation and the type of player development necessary to recapture the league title.

I see AW winning. Then a second tier is random. (placement 2-5) BG, Napoleon, Springfield, and Perrysburg could be a finish based on team performance on any given night.

The third tier (placement 6-8) will be Northview, Maumee, and Southview.

The new enrollment figures are in and there are a few surprises.

Perrysburg moves up to D1 with an enrollment of 672 boys.
Anthony Wayne stays D2 with 544
Sylvania Northview stays D2 with 520
Springfield stays D2 with 452
Sylvania Southview stays D3 with 378 missing D3 by 3 boys
Bowling Green stays D3 with 364
Maumee stays D3 with 285
Napoleon stays D4 with 252

Two huge surprises are that Perrysburg has jumped to D1 and Southview is on the cusp of D3. Perrysburg dropped Dublin Coffman to turn around and have to compete with the big boys anyway. The enrollment has dropped that far at Southview but I think with the redistricting they will remain in D2 hopefully.

Maumee stays D3 with 285

Two huge surprises are that Perrysburg has jumped to D1 and Southview is on the cusp of D3. Perrysburg dropped Dublin Coffman to turn around and have to compete with the big boys anyway. The enrollment has dropped that far at Southview but I think with the redistricting they will remain in D2 hopefully.

Southview's drop is amazing considering where they were. I think this was asked before but can any kid in Sylvania choose what HS they attend? Open enrollment for inside the district?

When will either Perrysburg or Napoleon move on to schools that are more there size. It has to be a real struggle/frustration for Napoleon to compete for conference title in any sport.

It seems reasonable that Perrysburg and to a lessor degree AW should move on from a numbers standpoint but what is the incentive for them?

Be big man on the block and have a FAR better chance at winning league titles and going to the playoffs in the NLL or jumping to the meat grinder of the TRAC?

When it comes to Napoleon and even Maumee that same perception in reverse affects them. Conferences like the NWOAL and NBC respectively do not want to add another competitive school (and bigger one for their conference). Especially when you consider how small schools like Patrick Henry are in terms of numbers.

On top of all else the NLL is a very stable conference. Eight teams is ideal, the travel is relatively easy, and all of the schools demographics in terms of student make-up are very similar (suburban middle-class).

Eventually, one of the smaller teams will end up jumping but only when one of the smaller conferences has no choice but to take them. Once that happens a domino effect will occur throughout NWOhio. My money is on Maumee heading to the NBC. A Woodmore jump to the SBC would open things up for Maumee or BG. Once this happens look for Clay and possibly Ross to jump to the NLL leaving the TRAC and the TCL to combine out of necessity. True vision would see NWOhio coming up with a league just like what the SBC has done having three divisions where teams can move up and down every two to three years due to public school enrollment flux but it will never happen as long as the NLL is as comfortable as they are.

Way too many hard feelings from the past for Napoleon and the NWOAL to ever link up again. After the NWOAL flat out kicked Defiance out back in the 50s and then kept pressuring Napoleon until they just had enough and left on their own in the 70s, I think it would take an absolutely crazy scenario for either to ever go back, even though both honestly fit fairly well these days. The only reason Bryan made it out alive is because their programs weren't that good, but the small schools back in the day absolutely refused to compete with what were much bigger, really dominant programs in Defiance and Napoleon.

The ideal league for Napoleon would honestly involve them, Defiance, Bryan, and maybe Wauseon. But unless a lot of things change, or they somehow could find another 2-4 schools, it's not going to happen. From there, I've been told Napoleon's dream for decades was to land in the NLL. They dealt with the GLL and the GBC because it was better than independence, but the NLL was always their goal and I wouldn't see them jumping within a decade of joining. Especially when they're fairly competitive in a lot of sports.

Maumee stays D3 with 285

There was just an article in the local Perrysburg paper about how they are projecting over 2500 total high school students by 2025 and their plans to expand the new HS building. New elementary school is being planned as well. Insane the amount of houses being built and the way it is growing.

Southview's drop is amazing considering where they were. I think this was asked before but can any kid in Sylvania choose what HS they attend? Open enrollment for inside the district?

Due to the new redistricting students can no longer open enroll into the other high school. The only exception are the kids who have a sibling at the other school. They are grandfathered in. After that it stops. So the enrollment numbers should adjust themselves the next few years.

Whats the latest with Gucciardo at Springfield. Heard he was non renewed as a teacher. Can you still be a HC if they basically fired you from teaching? Weird situation over there.

It seems reasonable that Perrysburg and to a lessor degree AW should move on from a numbers standpoint but what is the incentive for them?

Be big man on the block and have a FAR better chance at winning league titles and going to the playoffs in the NLL or jumping to the meat grinder of the TRAC?
I concur. Tougher competition and greater travel expenses. For what?

Some day P'burg may get so big the league asks them to leave, but that is years away.

A Woodmore jump to the SBC would open things up for Maumee or BG.
Supposedly Maumee has expressed an interest, but there has not been any talk at BG of leaving for the NBC.

Maumee and Napoleon stay in the NLL. Perrysburg is already the 2nd largest public in nwohio with 225 BOYS per class, compared to Napoleon and Maumee under 200 people per class. They need to join the TRAC, it’s a joke they scheduled Woodward to avoid being beaten by Coffman. Clay to the NLL is easy. If A-W continues growing (they will) then they can join the TRAC as well and the NLL should reach out to Defiance but I would think Fremont Ross isn’t a bad second choice. Rossford is the biggest NBC school at 226 enrolllment, Maumee is 285, it shouldn’t and wont happen.

NV, SV, Springfield and Clay are all solid D2 size schools in football and assuming Sylvania finally figures out its redistricting should remain that way.

BG may end up D2 soon but still a good NLL size school

Maumee, Napoleon and Defiance would all be competitive D3-4 schools.

As for next season
1.) AW
2.) BG
3.) Maumee
4.) Perrysburg
5.) Springfield
6.) Northview
7.) Napoleon
8.) Southview

Hmm. Defiance, NLL. As a Defiance guy, I'll be honest, I've never given that much thought. Mostly because I know Clay would be next in line, the NLL seems content at 8, and I've just always assumed that outside of Napoleon, no one would really want to add the road trip.

Personally from my side, I wouldn't mind it. We're kind of out in no man's land with no perfect options. The WBL has worked great for us, but Celina, St. Marys, Kenton, Wapak, and even Shawnee are all big time hauls for us. We're too big for the NWOAL. Would anyone even in the NLL, if it came to it, really want a school that far out of the metro? I'd be intrigued by the long, but easy trips up 24 and the idea of Napoleon as a league game.

We've played Springfield, Anthony Wayne, Maumee, BG and even Southview in other sports. I'd assume Clay AND Fremont would the first targets, but I think I'd trade the trip to Kenton for Sylvania and Oregon.

Maumee stays D3 with 285

Two huge surprises are that Perrysburg has jumped to D1 and Southview is on the cusp of D3.

A lot of new mid-range housing across I-75 attracted people having kids, that have now matured. AW will probably be moving up in the decade as their skilled trade affordable options are ramping up. The new highway will probably add to that. Sylvania is countering with section 8 housing. We'll check the numbers in 15 yr.

HWY 24 might stretch the population boon to Napolean. Ft. Wayne's population is increasing. Things stay on track, they will pass Toledo. Most of their growth is to the North but significant is to their East. That 24 corridor is going to grow with commuters to both cities.

Gentlemen, is the TRAC that much a meat grinder anymore especially compared to smaller NLL, or even WBL/SBC Lake? TRAC seems to me like old Big Ten; big 2, little 8, or in this case, little 6.

Last edited:
As for next season
1.) AW
2.) BG
3.) Maumee
4.) Perrysburg
5.) Springfield
6.) Northview
7.) Napoleon
8.) Southview
Well, I did see 2000 and 2018 Fostoria and Tiffin, respectively, get title shares coming off 0-10 seasons. However, both had great histories that had brief blimps(at the time). If Maumee can reach as high as 3rd, God Bless them.

Last edited:
As for next season
1.) AW
2.) BG
3.) Maumee
4.) Perrysburg
5.) Springfield
6.) Northview
7.) Napoleon
8.) Southview

I'm just not seeing Southview finishing at the bottom of the league. In a short time Coach Rowe has ignited the program. The participation in the weight room has increased. Time will tell come August.

How are the D2/R6 teams from the NLL looking for 2019? Avon saw AW and Springfield, and I feel like both teams were senior-dominated, but AW moreso. I feel like Springfield has a super-fast kid returning that was an impact player last year, but I know they lose the QB. And maybe his dad as coach, too? Is AW at the reload point as a program? Any other playoff threats from the league?

Interesting NLL developments with no more Mayzes at Southview, possibly no Gucciardo at Springfield and Perrysburg bumped up to D1.

The TRAC folks say TCC and SJJ are the D2 threats from that league.

Avon will be good again, along with Avon Lake and Olmsted Falls, from the Southwestern Conference. I think North Ridgeville could be a playoff team, as well.

How are the D2/R6 teams from the NLL looking for 2019? Avon saw AW and Springfield, and I feel like both teams were senior-dominated, but AW moreso. I feel like Springfield has a super-fast kid returning that was an impact player last year, but I know they lose the QB. And maybe his dad as coach, too? Is AW at the reload point as a program? Any other playoff threats from the league?

Interesting NLL developments with no more Mayzes at Southview, possibly no Gucciardo at Springfield and Perrysburg bumped up to D1.

The TRAC folks say TCC and SJJ are the D2 threats from that league.

Avon will be good again, along with Avon Lake and Olmsted Falls, from the Southwestern Conference. I think North Ridgeville could be a playoff team, as well.

Toledo St John's will be the class of the TRAC in D2/R6. Can't remember a team bringing back so much high end offensive skill talent.

Toledo St John's will be the class of the TRAC in D2/R6. Can't remember a team bringing back so much high end offensive skill talent.

Avon played SJJ in the playoffs a couple years ago when Gant was a senior. He wasn’t much of a factor because Avon pretty much controlled the lines both sides, but I remember thinking we would see the Titans in future playoffs due to so many young dynamic skill players. How are their lines?

What does Anthony Wayne return? They were solid.