Northern Buckeye Conference 2020

Hback

Well if a season is played how does it all shake out in the NBC this fall?

Eastwood returns a lot but they do lose their 1-2 running back punch from a year ago. Elmwood getting better and their numbers seem to be going up every year. Fostoria seems to be banging on the door but just can’t win the big conference game when they need to. Genoa is coming off their worst year since pre-Vicars - it’ll be interesting to see how they bounce back. Lake I believe has a chance to be solid. Otsego has some weapons coming back including 2 sons of the head coach. Rossford has the athletes now, it’s just a matter of what their defense can do. Can’t give up 30+ points a game. Woodmore....good luck guys.

Rossford loaded with size and skill. Have a QB/WR combo that will be tough to stop.
Two big questions always needed answered with Rossford. Can the coach keep his QB healthy? Which he has not done in 3 of 4 years. And when will they start playing defense?

Some talk of the NBC in the Blade today: https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/...ll-storylines-2020-season/stories/20200802146

My guess is the top four will be:
1. Eastwood
2. Rossford
3. Otsego
4. Elmwood
5-8 could be a toss up but Lake/Genoa is probably the best of the "bottom 4".

I think Eastwood's backfield will be pretty solid. From the article it looks like they are going to move their tight end from last year to running back. He along with the young man who filled in for Rayford will be solid along with a quick, fast guy that Rutherford will find to put back there should provide for a nice Wing-T backfield.

Kidwell still there.

Saw a picture on Twitter of Eastwood at practice. Only had 42 guys out. Seems like a low number for them. I recall some years when they had 60-75 guys out.

Anyone know numbers of other schools?

Two big questions always needed answered with Rossford. Can the coach keep his QB healthy? Which he has not done in 3 of 4 years. And when will they start playing defense?

3 of 4 years? Kromenacker hurt his knee in 2018. He was dinged up last year but played all 10 games. Don't remember anyone getting hurt in 2017 or 2016.

Not much experience behind AW - so agree that keeping him upright is important.

It's Eastwood and then everyone else until someone beats them, IMO.

Rossford should compete, depending on how the young QB plays. Left side of OL should be big and mobile. Not sure at RB. WR Kellemyer is a stud WR. Defense will be terrible because the scheme is usually terrible.

Does anyone know if any of the NBC schools have an updated schedule out yet?
Yes I heard staying with the same league schedule stayed the same. Game 4 is game 1, game 5 game 2, game 6 is 3, game 7 is week 4, game 8 is week 5, game 9 is week 6 and then playoffs. Game 10 I think is week 10.

Yes I heard staying with the same league schedule stayed the same. Game 4 is game 1, game 5 game 2, game 6 is 3, game 7 is week 4, game 8 is week 5, game 9 is week 6 and then playoffs. Game 10 I think is week 10.

Somewhat correct.

Sorry I was wrong, the schedules was released today.

Update I got from a parent at Eastwood/Archbold scrimmage:
First set of 10
  • Archbold first 10 plays on offense just got passed the 50 yard line. Started on their own 30.
  • Eastwood first 10 plays on offense just got to the 45 yard line. Started on their own 30
(Not impressive offense by either team in the first 20 plays)

Second set of 10
  • Archbold moved the ball well on 2nd set of 10 plays. Scored a touchdown.
  • Eastwood new QB in second set of 10. Some shotgun. Different fullback too. Hit a big pass play and fullback ran for a 15 yard touchdown
(Both offenses looked A LOT better on second set of 10 plays)

Down and Distance:
  • Archbold moved ball well and went down and scored touchdown.
  • Eastwood moves ball well and goes down and scores touchdown.
  • Archbold scores. Eastwood looked like they subbed a lot on defense.
  • Eastwood moved ball well and goes and scores.

Both teams started moving ball well as scrimmage went on. Defenses looked like both teams were using many different guys.

The one good thing about COVID is all the streaming now and ability to watch multiple games in one night. Here's my NBC recap in a nutshell:

Rossford rolled over Lake. With a shutout too at that, impressive considering their normal defensive performances from years past. Rossford offense looked solid as usual. The week 4 matchup with Eastwood looks tasty!

Eastwood dismantled Fostoria and used a plethora of running backs and 2 quarterbacks. Fostoria never had a chance. Eastwood has 2 running backs that look like grown men and then a couple other quick, scat backs. Coach Rutherford is in good shape this year.

Otsego took care of Woodmore easily. Woodmore's hope for a win this year will only come from their matchup with Fostoria. Otsego looking to win an NBC championship in football for the first time in a long time.

Genoa looked much improved from their 2-8 season last year. We will see how they progress as the year moves on.

The big week 2 matchup is Otsego at Eastwood.

It appears Otsego will be without their starting running back for a couple weeks due to an ejection in week 1.

Hback, you were pretty much right on with your observations.

I was impressed by Elmwood's numbers and thought they might be able to compete with Genoa, but the Comets played Genoa football and came out on top.

After watching every game (except Otsego/Woodmore) my hunch will be:

Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Genoa/Otsego
Otsego/Genoa
Elmwood
Fostoria
Woodmore

I was impressed by Elmwood's numbers and thought they might be able to compete with Genoa, but the Comets played Genoa football and came out on top.

Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Genoa/Otsego
Otsego/Genoa
Elmwood
Fostoria
Woodmore
Any reasoning for lake at 2?

The one good thing about COVID is all the streaming now and ability to watch multiple games in one night. Here's my NBC recap in a nutshell:

Rossford rolled over Lake. With a shutout too at that, impressive considering their normal defensive performances from years past. Rossford offense looked solid as usual. The week 4 matchup with Eastwood looks tasty!

Eastwood dismantled Fostoria and used a plethora of running backs and 2 quarterbacks. Fostoria never had a chance. Eastwood has 2 running backs that look like grown men and then a couple other quick, scat backs. Coach Rutherford is in good shape this year.

Otsego took care of Woodmore easily. Woodmore's hope for a win this year will only come from their matchup with Fostoria. Otsego looking to win an NBC championship in football for the first time in a long time.

Genoa looked much improved from their 2-8 season last year. We will see how they progress as the year moves on.

The big week 2 matchup is Otsego at Eastwood.

Rossford's defensive adjustments to handle Winged-T teams will be fascinating to watch against Genoa and Eastwood. Lake just didn't have enough on the offensive line to run the ball last week.

The Otsego game might come down to whether or not they can get pressure on Dzierwa.

Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Genoa/Otsego
Otsego/Genoa
Elmwood
Fostoria
Woodmore
How can you put Lake a team that got beat 35-0 second? Eastwood, Otsego and Genoa ar

Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Genoa/Otsego
Otsego/Genoa
Elmwood
Fostoria
Woodmore

How can you have Lake a team that lost 35-0 second? Eastwood, Otsego and Genoa are all better then Lake. Just because Rossford got their first shutout in three years/27 games all of a sudden they have a great defense, if so it would be their first. I think Lake offense must be bad. Genoa is much improved, Otsego can throw and Eastwood is as good as last year. So Rossford will lose at least 2 league games.

Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Genoa/Otsego
Otsego/Genoa
Elmwood
Fostoria
Woodmore

I will be shocked if Lake keeps it within 20 points against Eastwood. Lost 0-34 last year and a lot of Eastwood team is back from a year ago. The 35-0 shutout against Rossford isn't too impressive either. Everybody scores against Rossford.

It’ll be interesting to see how Rossford bounces back this week. They coughed up the ball a lot against Elmwood. Interesting game against a Genoa team that struggled against Woodmore. Conference is still wide open.

Rossford should compete, depending on how the young QB plays. Left side of OL should be big and mobile. Not sure at RB. WR Kellemyer is a stud WR. Defense will be terrible because the scheme is usually terrible.

I have seen many Jr. High teams that have a more sound defensive scheme than Rossford. I got to see the Elmwood game on TV. Looks like they blitz everyone who is not playing man coverage on somebody. Hard to imagine more than 20 minutes is used throughout the week to practice defense with the concepts that they use.