Northern Buckeye Conference 2019-20

Assuming 1-4 get byes, do 5-8 get to pick where they go in the bracket? Could #5 choose to play #11 or #10 to avoid getting Rogers on their side of the bracket?

Rossford versus Oak Harbor would be an interesting matchup. Rossford hasn't played a lineup with two post players very often, but would have 6'6", 6'4", 6'5" and 6'6" kids available off the bench.

I imagine there will be a lot of lobbying at the seeding meeting and draw to avoid Rogers and Sandusky.

And to be clear, I'm not looking past anyone else in the district or arguing that Rossford is primed to make a run. I think they're probably a year or two away. They should be very good for the next three years.

Last edited:
My understanding with 12 teams, 4 will get a bye. Each coach can place their team anywhere they want in the bracket or pass until everyone else has had a chance to place themselves.....and then you start over again at the top until everyone is in the bracket.

A lot of coaches in the Cleveland and Columbus areas seem to like to play the "laugher" game in the 1st round and place their team on a line that doesn't have a bye. I have not noticed that much in NWO.

Do you know if Rossford's gym will be done in time for the tournament? I heard they were hosting sectional games for one of divisions. Can't wait to see it.

My understanding with 12 teams, 4 will get a bye. Each coach can place their team anywhere they want in the bracket or pass until everyone else has had a chance to place themselves.....and then you start over again at the top until everyone is in the bracket.

A lot of coaches in the Cleveland and Columbus areas seem to like to play the "laugher" game in the 1st round and place their team on a line that doesn't have a bye. I have not noticed that much in NWO.

I think Rossford might have had a bye a couple of years ago as a relatively low seed.

The higher seeds choosing to play an extra game seems to happen a lot in soccer - gives them a chance to get the kids at the end of the bench some game time, I guess.

Do you know if Rossford's gym will be done in time for the tournament? I heard they were hosting sectional games for one of divisions. Can't wait to see it.

Rumor is that it will be done for a home game on January 24th. It was not open for viewing when the school was opened up on Monday, but there were lots of people peeking through the windows on the entry doors. Looks similar to Defiance or Lake from what I can tell, except that the floor is sunk below grade so that you'll enter at the top of the bleachers from street level. A $7 dinner at Moe's and a HS basketball DHer sounds like the perfect date night to me. Not sure the wife agrees...

Rumor is that it will be done for a home game on January 24th. It was not open for viewing when the school was opened up on Monday, but there were lots of people peeking through the windows on the entry doors. Looks similar to Defiance or Lake from what I can tell, except that the floor is sunk below grade so that you'll enter at the top of the bleachers from street level. A $7 dinner at Moe's and a HS basketball DHer sounds like the perfect date night to me. Not sure the wife agrees...

lol

I had heard it is similar to Defiance too, but with the wall overlooking the stadium being all glass.

Lake is nice, but Defiance is a lot better. I hope that is the route they took.

Found this on their website. To me it looks more like Central than Defiance.

Here is a picture of the Defiance gym. Seating capacity of a little over 2,500 with a running track around upper level.
2018 (16).jpg

I went out to Defiance last year - beautiful facility. People have told me the Rossford gym would be larger than Defiance's, but that was before the project started. They may also have been talking about capacity if there aren't any sections with chairs. It was hard to tell on Monday night. There are a couple of port hole windows in the doors where you can see in, but I am closer to Spud Webb than Manute Bol in height, so all I could do was hold my phone up and capture a video.

Last I heard, the gym should be good to go in early February. I believe the plan was to open it with a girls/boys doubleheader on February 14. The drawing makes it look a little bit smaller than Defiance which is by far the best of the newer (those built in the last 25 years) gyms in NW Ohio. Really looking forward to seeing the new gym. Just a little disappointed that they didn't include a couple of posts to obstruct the view from a few of the seats.

Last I heard, the gym should be good to go in early February. I believe the plan was to open it with a girls/boys doubleheader on February 14. The drawing makes it look a little bit smaller than Defiance which is by far the best of the newer (those built in the last 25 years) gyms in NW Ohio. Really looking forward to seeing the new gym. Just a little disappointed that they didn't include a couple of posts to obstruct the view from a few of the seats.

Not going to miss negotiating two flights of stairs just to get popcorn. I am going to miss the plaques on the wall for the HoF members. I'm sure the interactive displays will be nice, but I spend too much time looking at screens already.

The gym in Defiance is unbelievable. Central's gym with a full house and people standing 2-3 deep around the top is a great venue. I am also partial to Lake's set up. It's nice to be able to get anywhere in the gym without having to feel like you might accidentally step on the floor and take a charge.

Not going to miss negotiating two flights of stairs just to get popcorn. I am going to miss the plaques on the wall for the HoF members. I'm sure the interactive displays will be nice, but I spend too much time looking at screens already.

The gym in Defiance is unbelievable. Central's gym with a full house and people standing 2-3 deep around the top is a great venue. I am also partial to Lake's set up. It's nice to be able to get anywhere in the gym without having to feel like you might accidentally step on the floor and take a charge.

That is what I don't like about Lake. Very nice gym, but too open for my taste, not Waite open, but too much space on the end lines.

Looks like Rossford will have a lot of space too, but the bowl will give it a better feel. Can't wait to catch a game there. Would love for them to get it open in time to play Rogers at home on Feb. 8th.

That is what I don't like about Lake. Very nice gym, but too open for my taste, not Waite open, but too much space on the end lines.

Looks like Rossford will have a lot of space too, but the bowl will give it a better feel. Can't wait to catch a game there. Would love for them to get it open in time to play Rogers at home on Feb. 8th.

The official dedication is set for the boys/girls DHer on the 14th. I have heard from people that would know that it will be done in time for the January 24th game against Lake. All of the games after the Maumee game on the 21st are listed as home games at Owens. I am guessing that we would just play at Lake and at Wauseon if necessary to get the gym done. It should definitely be done before the Rogers game. The breakaway rims should get tested that night. I am really looking forward to the JV game. Rossford's JV team is undefeated and all freshmen except for one sophomore. They've lost one game since 7th grade, against St. John's last year. I have heard that they win about 50% of the time when they scrimmage the varsity.

I am really looking forward to the JV game. Rossford's JV team is undefeated and all freshmen except for one sophomore. They've lost one game since 7th grade, against St. John's last year. I have heard that they win about 50% of the time when they scrimmage the varsity.

I watched video of the Rossford St. Johns game last year. Didn't see anything "special" nice 8th grade team, but nothing that led me to believe that they will continue to trend up and be able to compete with all of the top teams in the area when the players all get their man muscles. I watched Fassett drill Washington Local, Findlay, Lima, St. Johns and Fremont for two years at the middle school level only to get beat by 20-50 once they became varsity players.

I'm sure with the depth ahead of them and very good coaching that class will continue to be successful in the NBC, but I doubt they will remain one of the top 2 or 3 classes/programs in the area as they move up the ladder. I would like for them to be able to continue on their current trend, but I just don't see any "special" athletes/bodies - good players, but not special.

I watched video of the Rossford St. Johns game last year. Didn't see anything "special" nice 8th grade team, but nothing that led me to believe that they will continue to trend up and be able to compete with all of the top teams in the area when the players all get their man muscles. I watched Fassett drill Washington Local, Findlay, Lima, St. Johns and Fremont for two years at the middle school level only to get beat by 20-50 once they became varsity players.

I'm sure with the depth ahead of them and very good coaching that class will continue to be successful in the NBC, but I doubt they will remain one of the top 2 or 3 classes/programs in the area as they move up the ladder. I would like for them to be able to continue on their current trend, but I just don't see any "special" athletes/bodies - good players, but not special.

I'm interested to see how they handle Rogers' quickness. Johnstown had a team full of sophomores and juniors who've been in the weight room for awhile and hadn't lost a game in a couple of years. That was a tough, physical game with Rossford missing their two 6'3" wings due to injury. Those two are pretty athletic and really give their traps and presses some teeth.

Eastwood was able to take away the first option on a lot of their sets and got back on defense like their life depended on it. They should be really good for the next couple of years, as well. Three freshmen/sophomore guards who can handle and shoot it and the Meier kid is only a sophomore and has great footwork in the post.

Genoa has a good freshmen class - although they are probably more athletes than basketball players at this point.

Otsego has a good 8th grade group with some size.

The top of the league should be improving. Elmwood has some talent in 8th and 9th grade classes. The bottom three - man, I don't know.

I'm interested to see how they handle Rogers' quickness. Johnstown had a team full of sophomores and juniors who've been in the weight room for awhile and hadn't lost a game in a couple of years. That was a tough, physical game with Rossford missing their two 6'3" wings due to injury. Those two are pretty athletic and really give their traps and presses some teeth.

Eastwood was able to take away the first option on a lot of their sets and got back on defense like their life depended on it. They should be really good for the next couple of years, as well. Three freshmen/sophomore guards who can handle and shoot it and the Meier kid is only a sophomore and has great footwork in the post.

Genoa has a good freshmen class - although they are probably more athletes than basketball players at this point.

Otsego has a good 8th grade group with some size.

The top of the league should be improving. Elmwood has some talent in 8th and 9th grade classes. The bottom three - man, I don't know.

I would think Rossford will handle Rogers at the JV level. Varsity level could get ugly quick, IF Rogers plays with any discipline at all.

Last edited:
To be a fly on the wall in Rossford's pregame locker room tonight @ Genoa.

Genoa has won 6 in a row. No love lost between the two programs. Rossford will try to win by 40.

Genoa has won 6 in a row. No love lost between the two programs. Rossford will try to win by 40.

I miss the Keith Diebler era. Those 95-85 in 32 minute games were fun.

Genoa might have the only McDonald's in NW Ohio that can get "large coffee - two sugars" right the first time.

Hope they've figured out that if they're up three with under 10 seconds left they should foul...

This might be another night where the Frosh/JV games are as entertaining as the varsity game. Genoa has a very good group of freshmen who gave Rossford's freshmen their only loss in 8th Grade and JV football and made it to the 8th Grade NBC Tournament championship game in basketball.

Last edited:
Hope they've figured out that if they're up three with under 10 seconds left they should foul...

Have to admit that was a head scratcher there.

Stritch went something like 5-23 from 3, when they had a decided advantage in 4 of the 5 positions for most of the game because of Genoa foul trouble with Plantz and Bench. Genoa's coach gave the game away in the end by not fouling.

Stritch was lucky to win the game, but at the same time Genoa was lucky to be in the game. Bricked in a 3 from straight away. Terrible shot selection by Stritch. Genoa was giving them layups and Stritch wasn't taking them. The bottom of Genoa's zone was 3/4 of the way up the lane. If Stritch even makes the right basketball play once or twice the entire game the zone flattens out and the 3 point line opens up.

Last edited:
Have to admit that was a head scratcher there.

Stritch went something like 4-22 from 3, when they had a decided advantage in 4 of the 5 positions for most of the game because of Genoa foul trouble with Plantz and Bench. Genoa's coach gave the game away in the end by not fouling.

Stritch was lucky to win the game, but at the same time Genoa was lucky to be in the game. Terrible shot selection by Stritch kept Genoa in it. Genoa was giving them layups and Stritch wasn't taking them. The bottom of Genoa's zone was 3/4 of the way up the lane. If Stritch even makes the right basketball play once or twice the entire game the zone flattens out and the 3 point line opens up.

How you don't foul and depend on Plantz and Bench to grab a defensive rebound to seal the game is beyond me.

Those two have to be up there as far as bad endings to great high school careers in two sports - giving up a 40+ yard TD pass on 4th and 25 against a Wing-T offense to get knocked out of the football playoffs and then lose to Stritch like that...

I have no idea what Genoa's coaching staff was doing against Liberty Center when they had Bench dropping into coverage about 10 yards deep instead of rushing the passer on 4th and a mile.

I will say that Bench shedding a Stritch defender like he was stiff-arming a cornerback and then dunking at the end of that game is one of those plays that will stick in my memory for a long time.

But so will 4th and 25 with a sophomore backup QB filling in for his older brother and hitting a WR with a perfect pass to win a playoff game after handing the ball off on the buck sweep and fullback trap for 47 minutes.

I was sitting on the home side at Lake's stadium in the middle of the Genoa fans for the entire game and then headed for the exit right before that happened. One of my great regrets. I can't imagine what that would have felt like for them.

Well, they did call off the Dawgs, so to speak, in the 4th quarter. Not sure why Genoa doesn't give the away team their own side of the gym, but the Genoa fans sitting in close proximity to me did not seem to be enjoying the game(s) last night.

Well, they did call off the Dawgs, so to speak, in the 4th quarter. Not sure why Genoa doesn't give the away team their own side of the gym, but the Genoa fans sitting in close proximity to me did not seem to be enjoying the game(s) last night.
The girl fist fight in the Genoa student section was a classic, it stopped play on the court.

The girl fist fight in the Genoa student section was a classic, it stopped play on the court.

Props to the kid in the Gumby costume for helping to break it up. Looks like he caught a shot or two for his trouble. I would say "not all heroes wear capes," but I think he had an American flag draped over his shoulders.

And again, I can't emphasize enough how delicious it was to hear the guy behind me screaming at the refs about moving screens and "over the back!" in the 4th quarter of a 25 point game. He might have been the same guy who was screaming at the refs for being terrible at the JV football game last fall, convinced that a WR was out of bounds in the end zone from his vantage point right next to the press box.

Found this on their website. To me it looks more like Central than Defiance.

View attachment 5459

After getting a peek inside over the weekend, this rendering is very accurate. I'd guess seating will be around 1,500. It is long enough for three courts side-by-side.

First game is officially still up in the air and dependent on when they finish installing the bleachers.

Any update on when Rossford will open the new gym?

Heard it was finished and the team was shooting around in it last night before the bus left for Maumee. They are waiting on inspections and some work to be done in the locker rooms. I think the two home games this weekend will be at Owens.

The Wauseon game on Saturday will be the first competitive game since the holiday tournament at Grandview Heights.

Shooting will have to get much better to have a shot at beating good teams, IMO.

Maumee needs to get out of the NLL, but they would finish near the bottom of the NBC this year.

How is wauseon this year?

They don't score or defend as well as the last few years. They looked about 5-7 points better last year and 20+ points better two and three years ago.

Relative to the competition I don't think the spread is that much because those area teams are also generally down. Meaning Wauseon is not as good, but neither is the competition.

Southview for example is very very average, but they have a great record (11-2) because of their schedule. They have only played 3 teams with winning records and are 1-2 in those games. Overall their opponents are 73-101 .420 winning %.

The Wauseon/Rossford game should be a good one.

Last edited:
The rossford/wauseon should be a great game!! but let’s not forget wauseon did hand perrysburg their only loss of the season.. & they beat them by 11. I feel like Wauseon is a team that plays at their opponents level. No matter what division or record they have. This is what makes Wauseon super dangerous. You never know what you could get from them.

Rossford got the height and playmakers to win this game. The only way i see rossford losing is if they get into foul trouble early.

Rossford: 63
Wauseon: 59