Genoa 14 - 0 22 - 0
Elmwood 10 - 4 13 - 9
Eastwood 9 - 5 10 - 12
Rossford 8 - 6 8 - 14
Otsego 6 - 8 11 - 11
Woodmore 5 - 9 10 - 12
Fostoria 4 - 10 7 - 15
Lake 0 - 14 1 - 21

Unfortunately Rossford is up to D2 where they would have to get by Rogers to get out of the district. Eastwood could make the district semi or final depending on draw, but I don't think they can beat Stritch or Evergreen.

That sounds about right to me.

2018-19 Standings

Northern Buckeye Conference
Genoa 14 - 0 22 - 0
Elmwood 10 - 4 13 - 9
Eastwood 9 - 5 10 - 12
Rossford 8 - 6 8 - 14
Otsego 6 - 8 11 - 11
Woodmore 5 - 9 10 - 12
Fostoria 4 - 10 7 - 15
Lake 0 - 14 1 - 21

Unfortunately Rossford is up to D2 where they would have to get by Rogers to get out of the district. Eastwood could make the district semi or final depending on draw, but I don't think they can beat Stritch or Evergreen.
Eastwood, Elmwood, Woodmore, and Fostoria are all headed east as part of the Norwalk district. Willard is the favorite at this point.

2018-19 Standings

Genoa 14 - 0 22 - 0
Elmwood 10 - 4 13 - 9
Eastwood 9 - 5 10 - 12
Rossford 8 - 6 8 - 14
Otsego 6 - 8 11 - 11
Woodmore 5 - 9 10 - 12
Fostoria 4 - 10 7 - 15
Lake 0 - 14 1 - 21

Safe to say that rossford is going to be good for the next couple years. Started 2 freshman and 1 sophomore last year. They also have a lot of size compared to everyone else in the nbc.

Rossford’s size will be incredible.... I believe they will have four guys 6’5” or taller

2018-19 Standings

Genoa 14 - 0 22 - 0
Elmwood 10 - 4 13 - 9
Eastwood 9 - 5 10 - 12
Rossford 8 - 6 8 - 14
Otsego 6 - 8 11 - 11
Woodmore 5 - 9 10 - 12
Fostoria 4 - 10 7 - 15
Lake 0 - 14 1 - 21

Stritch looked pretty good this morning against Rossford and Clay. Rossford will have to get MUCH better defensively to compete with Rogers.

Stritch looked pretty good this morning against Rossford and Clay. Rossford will have to get MUCH better defensively to compete with Rogers.

I watched some of that scrimmage.

Clay looks to be improved, even without Big Frank playing. Their over under on wins is 6.

Rossford has some nice pieces, but will need to shorten their bench. They will really struggle to defend anyone one on one.

Stritch looked solid, but I would like to see them play faster. They have a lot of team speed, but I didn't see them get out on the break much at all (at least before I left). They are working in a ton of new guys who need to up their effort when defending and running the floor.

I watched some of that scrimmage.

Clay looks to be improved, even without Big Frank playing. Their over under on wins is 6.

Rossford has some nice pieces, but will need to shorten their bench. They will really struggle to defend anyone one on one.

Stritch looked solid, but I would like to see them play faster. They have a lot of team speed, but I didn't see them get out on the break much at all (at least before I left). They are working in a ton of new guys who need to up their effort when defending and running the floor.

Kind of what I saw, too. Rossford will be fine in the NBC. Stopping dribble penetration will be a problem when they play OOC and in the tournament. Not a lot of quickness on the perimeter and none of the big kids is really a capable rim protector. I could see them playing a lot of zone.

The older Borovich won't be able to play the second half, so they have to balance shortening the bench with giving the guys who'll replace him some time.

Having 30 fouls to give in the post (25 of them on illegal screens) might come in handy at some point.,

I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three freshmen start getting time on the varsity by the middle of the year.

Stritch looks awfully good to me.

Clay looked like a team capable of winning some games in the NLL.

Rossford has looked good. They should go somewhere between 21-1 and 19-3 in the regular season.

The Holiday Tournament at Grandview Heights has a couple good teams and the Rogers game should give them fits. The rest of the teams on their schedule just don't match up well with them.

Do they save stall ball for Rogers in the tournament?

Last edited:
Rossford has looked good. They should go somewhere between 21-1 and 19-3 in the regular season.

The Holiday Tournament at Grandview Heights has a couple good teams and the Rogers game should give them fits. The rest of the teams on their schedule just don't match up well with them.

Do they save stall ball for Rogers in the tournament?

The Fostoria games should be highly entertaining with the way they like to play.

I wouldn't sleep on Eastwood. Someone in the league is going to force the game to be played at a slower pace and make Rossford hit shots.

The Fostoria games should be highly entertaining with the way they like to play.

I wouldn't sleep on Eastwood. Someone in the league is going to force the game to be played at a slower pace and make Rossford hit shots.

Fostoria gave up 70 points to Genoa, who is not a very good team this year. They also only beat Port Clinton by 5 and PC is real, real bad. I just don't see them being able to push Rossford.

Eastwood - see above, they lost to Fostoria bad.

Rossford's should have the big target on their back. Much like Genoa last year.

Fostoria gave up 70 points to Genoa, who is not a very good team this year. They also only beat Port Clinton by 5 and PC is real, real bad. I just don't see them being able to push Rossford.

Eastwood - see above, they lost to Fostoria bad.

Rossford's should have the big target on their back. Much like Genoa last year.

I think Rossford got into the high 80s or 90s against Fostoria last year both games. They have some guys who can score, but their defense is pretty bad - especially if they have to rotate to "help the helper" at all.

I can see Rossford having a game where they aren't making shots and the opponent is able to make them guard for long stretches. They are very good in the open floor and run off turnovers and defensive rebounds. I think they get a little impatient when they run a set that doesn't work and have to start over. There were a couple of games last year that snowballed like that. Otsego beat them by 30. Rossford kept missing shots and gradually taking worse shots.

I think Rossford got into the high 80s or 90s against Fostoria last year both games. They have some guys who can score, but their defense is pretty bad - especially if they have to rotate to "help the helper" at all.

I can see Rossford having a game where they aren't making shots and the opponent is able to make them guard for long stretches. They are very good in the open floor and run off turnovers and defensive rebounds. I think they get a little impatient when they run a set that doesn't work and have to start over. There were a couple of games last year that snowballed like that. Otsego beat them by 30. Rossford kept missing shots and gradually taking worse shots.

Elmwood had the blueprint: get back on defense and make Rossford run their half court offense. Be patient on offense and shorten the game.

That being said, if Rossford hits their free throws they win going away. Half court defense was solid for the most part and they played most of the second quarter with their two best players on the bench.

Gaston can get in the lane any time he wants and has been under control every time I've seen them - finding cutters and finishing when he can get all the way to the basket.

Really looking forward to an up and down game with Fostoria.

Big one tonight at Eastwood. The Eagles had an impressive win over Archbold over the break while Rossford lost to Johnstown in Columbus and then beat an awful Cristo Rey team.

I still think if you're going to beat Rossford you're going to have to keep Gaston out of the lane and make him and the rest of the team shoot over the top.

Big one tonight at Eastwood. The Eagles had an impressive win over Archbold over the break while Rossford lost to Johnstown in Columbus and then beat an awful Cristo Rey team.

I still think if you're going to beat Rossford you're going to have to keep Gaston out of the lane and make him and the rest of the team shoot over the top.

Archbold is not very good this year.

Ottawa Glandorf is playing at a level very close to last season when they lost too Archbold by 1. This year they beat Archbold by 25+ even after losing their top player to graduation in Owen Hiegel.

Another data point would be Eastwood's game vs OG last year. I watched that one in person and it was ugly, OG won by 25 and it could have been 50. OG was playing in waves of 5 with 15 guys getting long minutes.

Agree with keeping Gaston out of the lane. Not easy to do unless you zone them up or run 2 guys at him to get the ball out of his hands as soon as he crosses 1/2 court. They don't really have any other play makers.....Guys who are good at their roles, shooting, rebounding, screening etc. but not play makers who will draw a double and kick.

Rossford will go 20-2 in the regular season, but their season will end vs Rogers in the district semi or final. It is a shame they moved up to D2, had a punchers chance of getting out of the district in D3.

Last edited:
Archbold is not very good this year.

Ottawa Glandorf is playing at a level very close to last season when they lost too Archbold by 1. This year they beat Archbold by 25+ even after losing their top player to graduation in Owen Hiegel.

Another data point would be Eastwood's game vs OG last year. I watched that one in person and it was ugly, OG won by 25 and it could have been 50. OG was playing in waves of 5 with 15 guys getting long minutes.

Agree with keeping Gaston out of the lane. Not easy to do unless you zone them up or run 2 guys at him to get the ball out of his hands as soon as he crosses 1/2 court. They don't really have any other play makers.....Guys who are good at their roles, shooting, rebounding, screening etc. but not play makers who will draw a double and kick.

Rossford will go 20-2 in the regular season, but their season will end vs Rogers in the district final. It is a shame they moved up to D2, had a punchers chance of getting out of the district in D3.

That's a pretty good assessment. I think the younger Borojevich has the ability to be that secondary playmaker. It changed the game when he came in last night in the 4th quarter. He may get more time when his older brother has to sit out in another week. He is fearless - sometimes too much so - and has played against a lot of good competition in AAU ball. Croom played a lot of PG on the JV team last year, but he's so good at keeping rebounds alive and tipping balls, etc. that I'd love to see him stay around the basket.

It'll be interesting to see how they play Rogers in the regular season and if they go with a completely different look if they get a shot at them in the tournament.

Eastwood is a tough place to play with the weird bleacher set up and I think especially tough for the DeWese brothers.

How is Wauseon this year? That's probably the toughest test on the schedule after Rogers, although I wouldn't sleep on Eastwood. The kids on both teams know each other very well and they were well-prepared last night.

How is Wauseon this year? That's probably the toughest test on the schedule after Rogers, although I wouldn't sleep on Eastwood. The kids on both teams know each other very well and they were well-prepared last night.

They are similar to Archbold. Have a solid record, but had some head scratching tight games vs bad teams.....like a 38-37 win vs 2-7 Paulding.

If I remember right they lost their top player to graduation, real strong 6'3"-6'4" kid who did everything for them last year and they were nowhere close to what the were for the 3 year run prior to last year when they could compete with anyone in NWO regardless of division.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how they play Rogers in the regular season and if they go with a completely different look if they get a shot at them in the tournament.

When I saw Rogers and Rossford both went D2 that same question came to mind.

If I recall correctly Rossford has tried to stall in the tournament a couple times in the last few years. I just don't think Rossford can play keep away with the traps that Rogers can run at them with an ultra long and athletic lineup. Rossford will struggle to pass out of that trap and will not win the battle for the ball on lofty passes.

Traps with athletic 6'3", 6'4", 6'7", 6'7" and 6'7" players is real tough to split or pass over. Rogers doesn't even have to reach, just get Gaston to pick up his dribble, take his vision away and steal the long pass.

Last edited:
When I saw Rogers and Rossford both went D2 that same question came to mind.

If I recall correctly Rossford has tried to stall in the tournament a couple times in the last few years. I just don't think Rossford can play keep away with the traps that Rogers can run at them with an ultra long and athletic lineup. Rossford will struggle to pass out of that trap and will not win the battle for the ball on lofty passes.

Traps with athletic 6'3", 6'4", 6'7", 6'7" and 6'7" players is real tough to split or pass over. Rogers doesn't even have to reach, just get Gaston to pick up his dribble, take his vision away and steal the long pass.

They spread the floor last year against Genoa and basically let Gaston run clock and then drive when he had an opening. He was able to get to the rim, but had trouble finishing.

I wasn't at the tournament game against Rogers back in 2015(?) when Rossford had a chance to win the game in the final minute, but this Rogers team is a lot better than that one.

Maybe in a couple of years when the current freshmen are juniors. That team should have a bunch of guys who are 6'2" to 6'4" that can handle the ball and shoot.

They spread the floor last year against Genoa and basically let Gaston run clock and then drive when he had an opening. He was able to get to the rim, but had trouble finishing.

I wasn't at the tournament game against Rogers back in 2015(?) when Rossford had a chance to win the game in the final minute, but this Rogers team is a lot better than that one.

Maybe in a couple of years when the current freshmen are juniors. That team should have a bunch of guys who are 6'2" to 6'4" that can handle the ball and shoot.

Right, that was one of the games I remembered. The difference is Rogers has 5 guys longer and quicker than anyone Genoa had. Plantz and Bench's "strength" was their strength, effort and competitiveness......not their lateral quickness. Plus, the other 3 guys on the floor for Genoa last year at anytime were pretty undersized with average athleticism.

As high school players Plantz and Bench were as good as anyone Rogers has, but Genoa was nowhere close to them with the next 3-8 positions.

Only Rogers can beat Rogers at the district level.

Right, that was one of the games I remembered. The difference is Rogers has 5 guys longer and quicker than anyone Genoa had. Plantz and Bench's "strength" was their strength, effort and competitiveness......not their lateral quickness. Plus, the other 3 guys on the floor for Genoa last year at anytime were pretty undersized with average athleticism.

As high school players Plantz and Bench were as good as anyone Rogers has, but Genoa was nowhere close to them with the next 3-8 positions.

Only Rogers can beat Rogers at the district level.

Agree. They are #2 in the AP Poll for a reason. I haven't paid much attention to how the tournament draw works. Would Rossford finishing with 2 regular season losses give them a chance at a high enough seed to avoid Rogers for a couple of games?

Agree. They are #2 in the AP Poll for a reason. I haven't paid much attention to how the tournament draw works. Would Rossford finishing with 2 regular season losses give them a chance at a high enough seed to avoid Rogers for a couple of games?

I assume it will be Rogers as the #1 seed on one side of the bracket, with the #2, #3 and #4 teams all choosing to avoid Rogers on the other side of the bracket. I'll find what teams are in the district and post the list once I do.

****Edit - This is how I think the teams will be seeded. With Rossford and Oak Harbor both going to the Sandusky's side of the bracket. Sandusky is a pretty darn good team with one of the better guards in the state.

#2 Sandusky 7-0
#1 Rogers 8-1
#3 Rossford 8-1
#4 Oak Harbor 4-1
#5 Columbian 6-3
#6 Clyde 3-2
#7 Bellevue 3-6
#8 Woodward 3-6
#9 Maumee 2-8
#10 Perkins 2-7
#11 Scott 1-5
#12 Port Clinton 1-9

Last edited:
Don't sleep on Oak Harbor or Sandusky. Oak Harbor is 4-1 with a home OT loss to 7-1 Huron... Sandusky is 7-0 (will be 8-0 after tonight).