Northeastern Buckeye Conference 2012

warriors378

I know we have a lot of NBC 2012 threads, but can't find any of them right away, so decided to start a new one.

Any news across the NBC on how any teams are looking with weight room, conditioning, 7 on 7's, etc.

Also, here's the schedule for each team in the NBC:

August 23rd
Poland Seminary at Marlington

August 24th
Canton Central Catholic at Alliance
Canton South at Akron Coventry
Carrollton at Ashland Mapleton
Louisville at Canfield
Field at Minerva
Salem at Youngstown Liberty
West Branch at Kirtland

August 31st
Canfield at Alliance
Medina Buckeye at Canton South
Richmond Edison at Carrollton
Louisville at North Canton Hoover
Marlington at Crestwood
St. Thomas Aquinas at Minerva
Salem at Hanoverton United
New Philadelphia at West Branch

September 7th
Alliance at Akron Ellet
Canton South at Northwest
Claymont at Carrollton
Ravenna at Louisville
Marlington at St. Thomas Aquinas
Minerva at Massillon Tuslaw
Niles McKinley at Salem
Streetsboro at West Branch

September 14th
Alliance at West Branch
Minerva at Canton South
Louisville at Marlington
Carrollton at Salem

September 21st
West Branch at Carrollton
Minerva at Louisville
Canton South at Alliance
Marlington at Salem

September 28th
West Branch at Minerva
Alliance at Louisville
Salem at Canton South
Carrollton at Marlington

October 5th
Canton South at West Branch
Minerva at Marlington
Louisville at Carrollton
Alliance at Salem

October 12th
West Branch at Louisville
Salem at Minerva
Carrollton at Alliance
Marlington at Canton South

October 19th
West Branch at Marlington
Alliance at Minerva
Louisville at Salem
Carrollton at Canton South

October 26th
Salem at West Branch
Minerva at Carrollton
Canton South at Louisville
Marlington at Alliance

Great idea here, it'd be nice to get some chatter going with the season just around the corner! What I seem to be hearing is that the league will be short of any "elite" level teams like we've had in the past, but there will be some great balance amongst all the teams. I also hear that the teams with the best chance of rising above the pack are West Branch, Minerva, and Louisville (in no particular order). Lots of question marks here though:
1. Last year who would have predicted Louisville and Marlington to miss the playoffs and/or Minerva to run the table?
2. Alliance and Carrollton seem to have a lot returning, how will they be?
3. Canton South??
4. West Branch seems like a vogue pick, very good coaching staff out there and a lot of returning players. Is the Branch ready to contend for title?

West Branch has a respectable OOC schedule and I wouldn't be surprised at all if St Thomas beats Marlington or Minerva.

with those non-league schedules(other than louisville), the nbc should have success the first three weeks...

West Branch opens up with the defending state champs who blew out every team they met in last year's playoffs. New Philadelphia gave Tallmadge all they could handle in last year's playoffs and basically returns everyone this year. Some down there believes this year's New Phila's will be much better than their last 10-0 team.

West Branch has a respectable OOC schedule and I wouldn't be surprised at all if St Thomas beats Marlington or Minerva.

St. Thomas has given Minerva fits over the years, not really sure why but this usually seems to turn into a close game. Louisville should beat Canfield who should be down this year. Some of the early season matchups that could really tell us a lot about the conference in 2012 are:
Poland at Marlington (Aug 23)
West Branch at Kirtland (Aug 24)
Field at Minerva (Aug 24)
Canfield at Alliance (Aug 31)
New Philly at West Branch (Aug 31)
Ravenna at Louisville (Sept 7)

West Branch opens up with the defending state champs who blew out every team they met in last year's playoffs. New Philadelphia gave Tallmadge all they could handle in last year's playoffs and basically returns everyone this year. Some down there believes this year's New Phila's will be much better than their last 10-0 team.

fair enough, but it appears to me that the nbc plays other schools smaller than themselves the first 3 weeks, other than louisville, although the leopards may be larger than ravenna now. so, generally speaking, the league should do well in theory...

Does anybody have thoughts for pre-season player of the year? Here's a couple...

Dymonte Thomas
Joey duckworth
Brendon wells

My prediction

Alliance 4-6
Canton South 2-8
Carrollton 4-6
Marlington 8-2 Champions
Minerva 5-5 Down yr
west branch 7-3 good year this yr top 3 for sure
louisville 8-2 2nd good game between the leps and dukes
Salem 4-6

Big upset goes to Carrollton Big time sleepers

Last edited:

yes should win the ECOL go 9-1 or 10-0

Last edited:
should be a competitive year in the NBC this season. I look for Louisville Marlington and wb to battle for the top. With alliance and Minerva not far behind. Then c-ton followed by south and Salem.

I know we have a lot of NBC 2012 threads, but can't find any of them right away, so decided to start a new one.

Any news across the NBC on how any teams are looking with weight room, conditioning, 7 on 7's, etc.

Also, here's the schedule for each team in the NBC:

August 23rd
Poland Seminary at Marlington good game

August 24th
Canton Central Catholic at Alliance
Canton South at Akron Coventry
Carrollton at Ashland Mapleton
Louisville at Canfield
Field at Minerva Close
Salem at Youngstown Liberty
West Branch at Kirtland kirtland 2x or no

August 31st
Canfield at Alliance
Medina Buckeye at Canton South upset
Richmond Edison at Carrollton
Louisville at North Canton Hoover good game
Marlington at Crestwood close?
St. Thomas Aquinas at Minerva
Salem at Hanoverton United toss up
New Philadelphia at West Branch quakers too much

September 7th
Alliance at Akron Ellet
Canton South at Northwest
Claymont at Carrollton
Ravenna at Louisville great game
Marlington at St. Thomas Aquinas great game
Minerva at Massillon Tuslaw close
Niles McKinley at Salem
Streetsboro at West Branch

September 14th
Alliance at West Branch
Minerva at Canton South
Louisville at Marlington leage up for grabs
Carrollton at Salem

September 21st
West Branch at Carrollton
Minerva at Louisville
Canton South at Alliance
Marlington at Salem

September 28th
West Branch at Minerva
Alliance at Louisville
Salem at Canton South upset
Carrollton at Marlington

October 5th
Canton South at West Branch
Minerva at Marlington
Louisville at Carrollton
Alliance at Salem

Octob r 12th
west Branch at Louisville very close game
Salem at Minerva
Carrollton at Alliance
Marlington at Canton South

October 19th
West Branch at Marlington
Alliance at Minerva
Louisville at Salem
Carrollton at Canton South

October 26th
Salem at West Branch
Minerva at Carrollton
Canton South at Louisville
Marlington at Alliance
again jmo

Always have to leave room for a darkhorse. Could it be Alliance? As far as top contenders I really don't see how you can throw Marlington into the mix. Yes, they have a 5* Michigan recruit BUT have graduated most of their talent that got them to the state semis. The contenders this year are as follows:

West Branch
Minerva
Louisville

Minerva has also lost a ton from last years team and they don't have a 5* recruit so why put them ahead of marlington?

Warriors378
I know expectations are high this year but 8-2 would be pretty good! I'd rather beat alliance! 8-2 is going to be tough when we have new Philly and kirtland not to mention l-ville Minerva and the rest of the NBC!

Always have to leave room for a darkhorse. Could it be Alliance? As far as top contenders I really don't see how you can throw Marlington into the mix. Yes, they have a 5* Michigan recruit BUT have graduated most of their talent that got them to the state semis. The contenders this year are as follows:

West Branch
Minerva
Louisville

Still on the lions no marlington i think you put marlington in there instead of minerva, dont get me wrong minerva is a good football team but did they loose to much last yr that is the ? who knows

Still on the lions no marlington i think you put marlington in there instead of minerva, dont get me wrong minerva is a good football team but did they loose to much last yr that is the ? who knows

Minerva "lost a ton" following the 2010 season and finished 10-0 last year for the first time since 97. From what I've heard they have some really good skill back including Jake Riley, who could be absolutely lethal this year and is a pretty darn good athlete in his own right. I also think the offense they run is difficult to stop and perfectly accomodates the personnel they can expect down there. Some speed, but a lot of versatility and grit-Minerva's never been known for having a lot of size.

I stand behind West Branch, Minerva, and Louisville as contenders. West Branch pretty much returns everyone and will be in the second year with the new coaching staff. Louisville is Louisville, outstanding program which is always expected to be in the mix. Marlington, and Alliance will be in the middle of the pack; South, Salem, and Carrollton will wallow toward the bottom.

Minerva has also lost a ton from last years team and they don't have a 5* recruit so why put them ahead of marlington?

Warriors378
I know expectations are high this year but 8-2 would be pretty good! I'd rather beat alliance! 8-2 is going to be tough when we have new Philly and kirtland not to mention l-ville Minerva and the rest of the NBC!

Warriors: I really don't see you losing to NPhila, and I'd also like to see you get a statement win against Kirtland to start the season. I really think your schedule sets up relatively good. I'd be more concerned with your games at Minerva and Louisville.

Warriors: I really don't see you losing to NPhila, and I'd also like to see you get a statement win against Kirtland to start the season. I really think your schedule sets up relatively good. I'd be more concerned with your games at Minerva and Louisville.

I bet they do fine believe what you wan t its going to be a good game but Nphie will beat likes of dover cambrige zansville it all comes down to who can stop the run game
good luck to both teams looking forward to maybie seeing a dover/ west branch game in future playoffs good game

As for kirtland that would be awsome if they win my pirates lost to them in playoffs last yr man they were really good and they return a bunch this yr aswell

I have West Branch at 8-2 with the only losses to Alliance and New Philadelphia...

I'm thinking 7-3, I would go with Minerva, Louisville, West Branch as top contenders, dont see Alliance doing much and Thomas is good but one person doesnt win games. Depends on Louisville RB situation on whether they will be a contender, if they dont get a stud back there I think the junior qb is gonna have alot of trouble. West Branch needs to have more of a threat than just Wells, everyone one knows he is good so if they cant mix it up gonna be a easy defensive plan.

If you think West Branch will lose to Alliance then I say that record will be 5-5.

Reason i said WB would lose to Alliance is that we always seem to have a problem against Alliance. Their athleticism hurts us a lot...I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I feel all the other games are better suited for WB's style of play...

Also, throw another stat out there. Alliance has never lost at Clinton Heacock Stadium since joining the NBC. Last year was the first time, that the home team has won in this Alliance-WB series since Alliance joined the NBC...

West Branch's scores last year:

Kirtland 17, West Branch 0
New Philadelphia 28, West Branch 14
West Branch 20, Streetsboro 18
Alliance 55, West Branch 26
West Branch 35, Carrollton 24
Minerva 39, West Branch 26
West Branch 21, Canton South 14
West Branch 30, Louisville 21
Marlington 29, West Branch 28
Salem 27, West Branch 7

Reason i said WB would lose to Alliance is that we always seem to have a problem against Alliance. Their athleticism hurts us a lot...I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I feel all the other games are better suited for WB's style of play...

Also, throw another stat out there. Alliance has never lost at Clinton Heacock Stadium since joining the NBC. Last year was the first time, that the home team has won in this Alliance-WB series since Alliance joined the NBC...

That is interesting, I really wasn't aware of that! I can remember growing up, the Review always seemed to want a Branch/Alliance matchup back when the Aviators were in the Federal. I'd say you should be okay this year being that you get them off the green carpet. It's strange how some teams just match up differently.....

I'm thinking 7-3, I would go with Minerva, Louisville, West Branch as top contenders, dont see Alliance doing much and Thomas is good but one person doesnt win games. Depends on Louisville RB situation on whether they will be a contender, if they dont get a stud back there I think the junior qb is gonna have alot of trouble. West Branch needs to have more of a threat than just Wells, everyone one knows he is good so if they cant mix it up gonna be a easy defensive plan.

From what I've heard and seen, the Duckworth kid is a legit D1 prospect with interest and some offers. They will need to replace Poyser and find a new back but I see him lighting it up this year.