Northeast Regional predictions

How muddy was Boardman yesterday? It seemed to be the slowest regional course by a good bit. In general it is slower than the other regional courses but yesterday it seemed to be more so.

How muddy was Boardman yesterday? It seemed to be the slowest regional course by a good bit. In general it is slower than the other regional courses but yesterday it seemed to be more so.
I wasn't there, but I heard from people who were there that it was frosted over in the morning and turned messy as soon as the ground thawed. According to weather.com, Boardman received 1.76 inches of rain on Thursday. The course doesn't handle any traceable amount of water too well, let alone that large of an amount.

Last edited:
Did Boardman do 1.5 mile splits again this year? If so, are they available online?
If they were taking them, they didn't post them anywhere. I was following the races live, and no intermediate splits were posted. That was true at all 4 regional sites as I followed all of them live.

Did Boardman do 1.5 mile splits again this year? If so, are they available online?
We did not run the split point this year with all the mud (we had planned on it). That area was on a slope and we did not feel it would be good for runners to have something else to navigate. The ground was turning very slick in places as soon as we started setting up.

From my perspective, it was wet but not soupy for the D3 races, and not frozen at all as far as I could tell. There was definitely a lot of lost energy down into the soft ground. I think a kid like Waybedale’s Varner, who is a hard-striding runner, had a lot to overcome in terms of turnover energy.

I saw video taken from various points on the course during the boys DI race. The course had a distinct layer of brown on it. Runners were making a concerted effort to run along the edges of the course wherever possible.

Walked some of the course before the boys D1 race. Very very soft. Not a mud pit by any means but the course ran extremely slow obviously.

Walked some of the course before the boys D1 race. Very very soft. Not a mud pit by any means but the course ran extremely slow obviously.
Agreed. Muddy and definitely affected performances but nowhere near as treacherous as the '06 regional which featured ankle-deep mud and a hailstorm during the girls D2 race and the '08 invitational which trashed the course so severely that the regional was moved to GlenOak on 2 weeks' notice.

How much will Bay win the Boys D2 championship by? Or, did they wake a sleeping giant by taking down Woodridge a week too early? Is it these two teams and then everyone else, or does Unioto or Waynesville have a chance? I think it's Bay and Woodridge.

$V$M girls have not performed well at the Regional before and have come back very strong at the State Meet. They have done that more than once. Can either $V$M or Woodridge take 2nd?

Hudson boys and girls have to be pretty darn good to win the Regional. How high can they place.

D3 teams from the NE always seem to do well at the state meet. Same this year?

D3 Boys

1. East Canton #2 has much as things change, sometimes they stay the same. At Spartan CCC had the hornets number. Since then EC 3 and 4 runners have risen to the top. Making the entire team much better.

2. Canton Central Catholic #3 with Scheatzle via with Rupe for the regional championship. This is the Crusaders best squad in a long time.

3. Maplewood #16 seems to be peaking at just the right time. They beat crosstown rival McDonald at the Madison District.

4. McDonald #11 led by yet another Rupe and a lot of other recognizable last names I don’t remember the last time they didn’t make it to the big dance.

5. The other three contenders Elyria Catholic, Dalton and South Range all have a few holes to fill in their lineups .
CCC #5 runner has been hurt. Just came back but will depend on fitness level.

Any teams having issues with Covid heading into State? With this increase you would think it has to hit somewhere. Would really suck if it did this week.

Any teams having issues with Covid heading into State? With this increase you would think it has to hit somewhere. Would really suck if it did this week.
As coaches, what do you do? do you make sure that enough kids stay away from everyone else so that even if you have a case or two, you can at least take 5-7 kids to the state meet?

I just heard a commercial about bars being fully open in Cleveland? Is that right?

I heard a rumor that Chardon HS has their Fall athletes going to school in a separate wing until their postseason sport is over. Not sure how true that is or even how you make that work.

A man has to drink, doesn't he?????????

So Chardon values high school athletes above an honor student? A special ed student? Those with potential compromised physical conditions against the virus? The band?

I am just playing the devil's advocate of what many Chardon parents must be thinking if this is true.

So Chardon values high school athletes above an honor student? A special ed student? Those with potential compromised physical conditions against the virus? The band?

I am just playing the devil's advocate of what many Chardon parents must be thinking if this is true.
If that is the case, then Chardon isn't the only ones. A school near me has its football players reporting to their locker room for school each day, and the players have emailed their teachers to inform them that they will not be attending regular class until after the season ends and to ask the teachers to email them their assignments.

Yet we try to impress how academics are paramount.
In the case I've cited, I don't know who came up with the idea. There is some "he said, she said" regarding who originated it and who approved it. The football coach at this school is a maverick and can do no wrong in many peoples' eyes based on his teams' recent track record.

In the case I've cited, I don't know who came up with the idea. There is some "he said, she said" regarding who originated it and who approved it. The football coach at this school is a maverick and can do no wrong in many peoples' eyes based on his teams' recent track record.

I guess the bumper sticker I saw the other day is alive and well: Ohio, the new Alabama

I'm not advocating for what Chardon did, but I don't think the main purpose of the bubble is to protect students from a COVID infection. It's to prevent them from being forced to go into quarantine for two weeks because they were in class with the one student in a thousand who might be diagnosed with COVID.

The "honors student" would be forced to go online while in quarantine if they were near that student. That's essentially what the bubble is - a self-imposed quarantine. I don't think any high school athlete wants to be in that situation. Their classes are still in-person and they need to keep up despite not being in the classroom with their peers. Many of these fall athletes are honors students. Operating in a bubble requires a lot more work on their part, a sacrifice they are willing to make for the success of their team.

I have no idea if the church is charging the school a fee or is donating their facility. Hot spots are being used, but those are sunk costs. Resources that are necessary to have on hand if school goes 100% online, but Chardon has been in school. Only ~15% of students have opted to be 100% online so far this year. I would wager that the Gridiron//Booster club is footing the bill rather than the school for ancillary costs, anyway.

I haven't heard any complaints from students/parents other than mentioning the hardship this does impose on the athletes who would much rather be in class with their peers.

I'm sure Chardon parents are just happy when their kids come home from a school day safe and sound. Maybe someday they will worry about fair and unfair.

I'm sure Chardon parents are just happy when their kids come home from a school day safe and sound. Maybe someday they will worry about fair and unfair.
Meanwhile out in the township at NDCL...

Huge bummer for that team that did a fantastic job to extend their state meet streak this year in what seemed like a clear rebuilding year for that program.

Meanwhile out in the township at NDCL...

Huge bummer for that team that did a fantastic job to extend their state meet streak this year in what seemed like a clear rebuilding year for that program.
Right, I'm sure they would have liked to have bubbled the last week.

I was told that Unioto's coach told his kids to make sure they were nowhere near anyone at school and they got hit hard at the school, but the team was not affected. Whew. I'm just happy they got the season in and a State meet was held.

Here's how one school tried to escape any quarantining. Whole article here in case you would be required to have a subscription.

By Josh Sweigart, Dayton Daily News
Health Department advises against moving students around in classrooms after contacted by Journal-News, parents concerned about the practice.

Some Franklin City Schools high school teachers had students move around frequently in classrooms to skirt quarantine guidelines, a practice that parents and health experts worry could expose more people to COVID-19, the Journal-News has learned.

Franklin Superintendent Michael Sander said Thursday that he and the high school principal were unaware of the practice until Wednesday and immediately told teachers to stop.

Students who are exposed to a COVID-19 positive student are reported to the Warren County Health Department for contact tracing and required to quarantine for 14 days, according to the district’s COVID-19 reopening plan. Exposure is defined as being within 6-feet of someone with COVID-19 for 15 minutes or more.

So some Franklin teachers reduced the number of students who would have to be reported to the health department for contact tracing and quarantining by having them move and switch desks around every 14 minutes or so.
Sander said he didn’t know which or how many teachers had engaged in this practice.

“I know that it was a student idea of a way to stay in class and not be quarantined. I don’t know if it’s one teacher, I don’t know if it’s two. But I know nobody is doing it now,” he said.
ExploreParents: Should schools be virtual or in-person right now? Take our survey
Lauren Turner, school nurse and district COVID-19 coordinator, said Wednesday the practice was permitted in some high school classrooms at teacher discretion.
“According to the health department, an exposure is being within 6 feet of someone for 15 minutes or greater so I think the idea was that if students are moving around and they’re not staying in one place for longer than 15 minutes, then per the health department, it would not be considered an exposure if one of the students sitting beside them, for instance, tested positive,” Turner said.

After being contacted by the Journal-News and parents, the Warren County Health District sent an email on Thursday morning to all school superintendents in the county advising against moving kids around in a classroom every 14 minutes to avoid quarantine.
“This is not a sound policy based on the science and may inadvertently expose more individuals to an individual that has COVID-19,” says the email from health district sanitation supervisor Dustin Ratliff.
The email further notes that updated guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say the 15 minute time frame is now cumulative over a 24 hour period, not consecutive. It says if the practice continues, entire classrooms will be quarantined if a student tests positive rather than just students in close contact.
ExploreMany online students heading back to school, but models differ
The Journal-News contacted Franklin City Schools after receiving a call from a concerned parent who asked her name not be used. The parent expressed concern that having kids move around and limiting contact tracing would increase the spread of the virus.
Franklin City Schools had reported eight student cases and three staff cases from Sept. 7 until last week under Ohio’s COVID-19 reporting system for schools, according to the Warren County Health Department. Some weeks, more than 100 students are quarantined due to confirmed exposure and/or awaiting test results for them or a family member.
Sander said he had heard other school districts in the county had tried something similar, including Mason City Schools.
Mason City Schools spokeswoman Tracey Carson said there was an instance of it happening but it was never a sanctioned practice and was stopped when district officials learned of it.
“We had a coach who suggested that for students, but it was a little disruptive for students,” she said.
She said instead the district allows some students involved in post-season extracurriculars to self-quarantine and switch to remote learning temporarily so they can still compete in state and regional championship games.