Northeast District Assignments up for Track and Field

jktrack

New assignments up at nedab.org. Interestingly a girls only D2 district at Bedford. Anything else noteworthy?

DI: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEBt51qtIbC4vyXNldWCClbhRxRg8JfyTCfsONy62fQ/edit#gid=0
DII: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RA6SlHEeu3jUiYc48CrLLFMuLuhLLJmU4gACy_NnKvY/edit#gid=0
DIII: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bEtffBQeI9sFzF-xWhNBXI2pJQP_DgqPoGWf-aME5js/edit#gid=0

The all-girls DII district meet at Bedford looks rather interesting. Gilmour, Beaumont, and Tallmadge are enough to make the individual distance races difficult. I see that meet feeds into Lexington for regionals while the other 4 districts will go to Fitch. In a nutshell, NEO had enough girls teams but not enough boys teams in DII to occupy a 5th district meet, so things just got a little tougher for DII boys in NEO. For the first time in a long time, there won't be any DII boys heading to Lexington from NEO.

Which District gained those extra boys DII regional spots?

With a single division girls only district meet rest time will likely be much less than they are used to during the season.
Some coach needs to request to be on the Games Committee so they can force the issue of creating a time schedule that takes rest time into account.

Salem will be an interesting district this year. SVSM will be there. With SVSM, Buchtel, Salem, Coventry, and Field, the Sprints/Sprint Relays are gonna be tough.

Some coach needs to request to be on the Games Committee so they can force the issue of creating a time schedule that takes rest time into account.
I would fully expect that meet to be operated on a time schedule. My district meet finals (DIII Norwayne) have been run on a time schedule for the past few years.

If that means 10-15 minutes between races I feel bad for parents and spectators. Extra dead time in a sport that struggles to attract attention can't be good. They couldn't find another meet to welcome 1 gender of races? You will get the same crowd as usual but some will be badmouthing the meet, management, and the sport itself.

In a nutshell, NEO had enough girls teams but not enough boys teams in DII to occupy a 5th district meet, so things just got a little tougher for DII boys in NEO. For the first time in a long time, there won't be any DII boys heading to Lexington from NEO.

Which District gained those extra boys DII regional spots?

There are the same number of boys and girls teams in D2 in the NE district. There are about 7 less d2 boys teams than last year. Just doing real quick math

There are the same number of boys and girls teams in D2 in the NE district. There are about 7 less d2 boys teams than last year. Just doing real quick math
I found the answer to my question:
Board of Directors Minutes (9/19/19)
Boys Track and Field
Division I, 228 teams (287 males or more from October 2018 enrollments)
Division II, 227 teams (150 to 286 males)
Division III, 226 teams (149 or less males)
Total Teams: 681

Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in boys track and field for 2020 and 2021 would be:
Division I: Central 12; Combined East and Southeast 4; Northeast 24; Northwest 8, and Southwest 16;
Division II: Central 8; East 8; Northeast 16; Northwest 12; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12;
Division III: Central 4; East 4; Northeast 12; Northwest 24; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12.

Girls Track and Field
Division I, 215 teams (287 females or more from October 2018 enrollments)
Division II, 215 teams (150 to 286 females)
Division III, 219 teams (149 or less females)
Total Teams: 649

Representation from the district to the regional tournaments in girls track and field for 2020 and 2021 would be:
Division I: Central 12; Combined East and Southeast 4; Northeast 24; Northwest 8, and Southwest 16;
Division II: Central 4; East 8; Northeast 20; Northwest 12; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12;
Division III: Central 8; East 4; Northeast 12; Northwest 20; Southeast 8, and Southwest 12.

We may have discussed this in the old thread back when the divisional breakdowns were released. If so, I apologize. If my recollection of the previous 2 years is correct, the NW is gaining a 3rd DII boys and girls district. The NE is losing a DII boys district, and the Central is losing a DII girls district. DI looks the same as it has been. In DIII, it looks like the NW will gain a boys district but lose a girls district. The Central will lose a DIII boys district, and the Southeast will gain a DIII girls district.

When I look at the numbers and apply the magic formula, I'm a bit surprised that the NE was reduced to 4 DII boys district meets. There are 68 boys schools listed. There are 227 boys teams in all of DII boys. 68/227 is 29.95%. 29.95% of 16 districts is 4.79 which rounds up to 5. The most likely explanation here: some of those DII boys schools listed weren't considered "teams" last spring and don't count toward's the NE's total or as part of the 227 statewide, so NEO's share of the DII boys teams is reduced, and the magic formula comes out to less than 4.5. I'd expect a lot of strong 5th and 6th place performances to come out of the DII boys regional at Austintown.

I don't think there needs to be fifteen minutes between races but whatever time the boys events would take up should be used. In some cases, 5 minutes and others 10-15. I think the biggest hurdle is on the first day during prelims not for the finals.

and the magic formula comes out to less than 4.5.
While that's a good way to estimate, remember that it's not truly done by rounding. The district boards with the highest remainder get the extra district meets. Theoretically, 4.79 could not be high enough to produce meet #5. If there are enough districts with .8 or .9 remainders.

I can’t wait to get back at it. Wednesday I am packing up the truck and driving up north. Kinda like the “Beverly Hillbillies “

On another note the North Coast Athletic League has disbanded after this season
We're in the midst of a significant amount of conference reshuffling in NE Ohio:

Lorain County 8 - 8 Patriot Athletic Conference members did an end-around a couple years ago and launched the Lorain County 8 Conference this year while leaving Fairview, Brooklyn, Lutheran West, and Buckeye behind.

CVC - The CVC just completed an expansion after adding Trinity, Lutheran West, and Brooklyn. Crestwood will be joining the CVC in the fall.

GCC - Shaker Hts. is leaving for the Lake Erie League at the end of the school year. The GCC will be at 7 schools barring any additional changes.

SWC - North Olmsted and Westlake are leaving for the GLC. Lakewood is already slated to leave the SWC for the GLC.

GLC - The GLC appears to be headed for 12 schools. The league started with 7 (Holy Name, Elyria Catholic, Parma, Normandy, Valley Forge, Bay, and Rocky River) but has since added Buckeye and Fairview as well as the eventual additions of Lakewood, North Olmsted, and Westlake.

Suburban - Cuyahoga Falls is shifting to the American Division as the 8th team (smaller schools) where they can hopefully be more competitive across all sports, especially football. Presumably, the National (bigger schools) would have an easier time finding an 8th member. Applications were taken and meetings held, but nobody knows if any schools will be added. Schools like Solon, Medina, and Strongsville have been speculated about, but I have seen nothing concrete at this point.

PTC - The 8 teams from the Metro Division are leaving at the end of the school year to form their own league (Cloverleaf, Norton, Springfield, Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Ravenna, and Field). The County Division is trying to restructure on the fly. Windham and Waterloo left years ago. Lake Center Christian was added under the promise that they create a football program, but there is no evidence that LCC will make good on that. Valley Christian left about as quickly as they arrived. Crestwood is heading to the CVC after this school year. Garfield is leaving after next school year. That leaves Mogadore, Rootstown, Southeast, and Lake Center Christian. Warren JFK and St. Thomas Aquinas are joining that quartet to keep the league afloat.

EOAC - Toronto left last year and will be replaced by Valley Christian. In a few short years, Valley Christian has gone from the NCL White to the PTC County to the EOAC.

NCL - In the fall, the NCL decided to disband for football only; presumably so some Blue Division schools wouldn't have to keep playing Hoban. Once that happened, some schools realized there was no point in staying together since the greatest benefit of being a league member is the ease of football scheduling. As you saw for a couple years, the White Division was struggling to survive as it was due to teams coming and going and the lack of the depth of competition in many of the fringe sports. I expect many of the Blue Division teams will keep playing each other in the major sports.

Last edited:
Such is the march of time. Conferences have been changing for a hundred years, and for as long as the US exists, they'll continue to change.

The GLC started with the 7 that have been mentioned, but I would not be surprised if the 5 beside Rocky River and Bay, will look elsewhere with most of the former SWC schools now joining. The GLC was fairly competitive with the original 7, but they may be growing to fast. Like the Patriot League,
which also kept adding schools until they reached a critical mass.

Such is the march of time. Conferences have been changing for a hundred years, and for as long as the US exists, they'll continue to change.
You're right about that. Communities change, demographics change, schools' competitive capabilities change, administrative interests change... Nonetheless, it's amazing how there's often a lengthy period of tranquility where nearly all schools are content enough with their current situation to stay put. Then, one team decides to go elsewhere, and it sets off a chain reaction that causes a major reshuffling of the deck chairs over a 2 or 3-year period before the tranquility sets in again.

We can't all be like the Wayne County Athletic League which has not had a single entry or exit to the league since 1971!

For some reason, the composition of Ohio's HS athletic conferences has always fascinated me.

Last edited:
The GLC started with the 7 that have been mentioned, but I would not be surprised if the 5 beside Rocky River and Bay, will look elsewhere with most of the former SWC schools now joining. The GLC was fairly competitive with the original 7, but they may be growing to fast. Like the Patriot League,
which also kept adding schools until they reached a critical mass.
I've never been a fan of leagues with multiple divisions/tiers. Someone is always unhappy with the tier they're in, and someone always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to crossover games, generally in football. The complaining seemingly never ceases until a group of the schools decide to break away and do their own thing.

Last edited:
Such is the march of time. Conferences have been ch
You're right about that. Communities change, demographics change, schools' competitive capabilities change, administrative interests change... Nonetheless, it's amazing how there's often a lengthy period of tranquility where nearly all schools are content enough with their current situation to stay put. Then, one team decides to go elsewhere, and it sets off a chain reaction that causes a major reshuffling of the deck chairs over a 2 or 3-year period before the tranquility sets in again.

We can't all be like the Wayne County Athletic League which has not had a single entry or exit to the league since 1971!

For some reason, the composition of Ohio's HS athletic conferences has always fascinated me.

The entire subject of the numerous conferences, their make-up, and the "whys" of how they come about and dissolve is worthy of its own research project by some intrepid researcher some day.

Many years ago for our school it was because of football. Our AD addressed all of our coaches at a meeting and told us
we would apply to league X that was forming. The reason was the favorability for making the football playoffs. When asked why the rest of the coaches and our student body should be dictated by football, the football coach got up and left the meeting.

Many years ago for our school it was because of football. Our AD addressed all of our coaches at a meeting and told us
we would apply to league X that was forming. The reason was the favorability for making the football playoffs. When asked why the rest of the coaches and our student body should be dictated by football, the football coach got up and left the meeting.

Gee, I haven't heard of that hubris before :)

We're in the midst of a significant amount of conference reshuffling in NE Ohio:

Lorain County 8 - 8 Patriot Athletic Conference members did an end-around a couple years ago and launched the Lorain County 8 Conference this year while leaving Fairview, Brooklyn, Lutheran West, and Buckeye behind.

CVC - The CVC just completed an expansion after adding Trinity, Lutheran West, and Brooklyn. Crestwood will be joining the CVC in the fall.

GCC - Shaker Hts. is leaving for the Lake Erie League at the end of the school year. The GCC will be at 7 schools barring any additional changes.

SWC - North Olmsted and Westlake are leaving for the GLC. Lakewood is already slated to leave the SWC for the GLC.

GLC - The GLC appears to be headed for 12 schools. The league started with 7 (Holy Name, Elyria Catholic, Parma, Normandy, Valley Forge, Bay, and Rocky River) but has since added Buckeye and Fairview as well as the eventual additions of Lakewood, North Olmsted, and Westlake.

Suburban - Cuyahoga Falls is shifting to the American Division as the 8th team (smaller schools) where they can hopefully be more competitive across all sports, especially football. Presumably, the National (bigger schools) would have an easier time finding an 8th member. Applications were taken and meetings held, but nobody knows if any schools will be added. Schools like Solon, Medina, and Strongsville have been speculated about, but I have seen nothing concrete at this point.

PTC - The 8 teams from the Metro Division are leaving at the end of the school year to form their own league (Cloverleaf, Norton, Springfield, Coventry, Woodridge, Streetsboro, Ravenna, and Field). The County Division is trying to restructure on the fly. Windham and Waterloo left years ago. Lake Center Christian was added under the promise that they create a football program, but there is no evidence that LCC will make good on that. Valley Christian left about as quickly as they arrived. Crestwood is heading to the CVC after this school year. Garfield is leaving after next school year. That leaves Mogadore, Rootstown, Southeast, and Lake Center Christian. Warren JFK and St. Thomas Aquinas are joining that quartet to keep the league afloat.

EOAC - Toronto left last year and will be replaced by Valley Christian. In a few short years, Valley Christian has gone from the NCL White to the PTC County to the EOAC.

NCL - In the fall, the NCL decided to disband for football only; presumably so some Blue Division schools wouldn't have to keep playing Hoban. Once that happened, some schools realized there was no point in staying together since the greatest benefit of being a league member is the ease of football scheduling. As you saw for a couple years, the White Division was struggling to survive as it was due to teams coming and going and the lack of the depth of competition in many of the fringe sports. I expect many of the Blue Division teams will keep playing each other in the major sports.he

The CVC did have significant expansion this year. They've also added Lakeside and Edgewood as well. IMO, there should be only 2 divisions in Track & Field just as there is in XC. That being said, I'm excited for our (Lutheran West) foray into the CVC. I think it's a great fit.